View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #830
Moseph
search for MGWAFTNAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad But True View Post
Just done the death magnetic thing and jesus, what a ridiculously squashed waveform. I haven't really got the time for the second one but I'd take a guess at the Hum drums and bass would be a lot clearer?
Well, those "What do you hear?" questions were supposed to be rhetorical, but it's good you did the exercise.

As for the Hum/QotSA thing, I don't know if I'd say they're "clearer" (the Hum mix is actually kind of muddy), but there's definitely a lot more "impact" caused by the drums on that album.

It's more about "transient" vs. "steady" sounds: drums are naturally transient, whereas heavily distorted guitars tend to be more "steady" in nature. And a big part of "impact" or "hard hitting" has to do with finding the right balance between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeboy View Post
I've only ever heard that Hum album because you keep plugging it, and my god, the drums are amazing on that album.
Ye gods, you're right! Twice in 6 months! I'll try to be more reasonable about it.

Though to be fair, I'm talking about it in exactly the same context ("loudness") in both threads.