View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #15996
fatbandit
feed me weird things

Joel.

You ever worked with cutting up drum breaks and making awesome new songs from them?

Trying to program some drums with a friend of mine for some new music, but I wanted to go beyond just programming a MIDI sequence in, and use audio samples. I want to do some amen fuckery, but I don't want to use the Winstons' amen sample. I've programmed an amen break into Reaper, and put my own samples on. Messed with the velocity and humanised it all a little, then bounced it down to a wav. I want to cut the wav up into 8th note chunks, then rearrange them to make new breaks.

All is well. Except I can't cut them into perfect 8th notes because the hits don't land exactly on the beats (this is probably because I humanised it a little, but I imagine the original amen sample has the same problem, as it was played by a human!), so I get horrible stuttering and stuff. If I cut them earlier/later, then my clips are the wrong length and don't line up properly to make full bars :/ I'm already cutting to a zero point to minimise unwanted artifacts, so I don't know what to do about it really I know people do make breaks this way though, so it's kind of frustrating.

Last edited by fatbandit; 12-23-2011 at 06:33 PM.