View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #768
Xomblies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
This is actually untrue. The room has the same influence proportional to the listening level at any volume. Most of the interactions within a room (reflections) are nearly (if not quite) linear systems, meaning that increasing or decreasing the listening level will increase or decrease the level of room sound by some proportionality constant relating to the materials within the room and its size. The only way that you will lessen the effect of the room is to either use highly absorptive materials in the walls (treatment) or to make the room bigger (to take advantage of the inverse square law between reflections). I'm not just bullshitting here, I do research in real-time computer acoustics simulation.

Also, beware of mixing at loud volumes because the ear hears differently at different SPLs. See: Fletcher–Munson curves. You should mix at an average listening level (I mix at about 75-80 dB SPL) in order to keep this from affecting your mix too much. Typically, you will perceive 2-5 kHz as being louder at high SPLs relative to other frequencies.
smaller sine waves don't travel as far son, mixing quiet (unless you're mixing in a bathroom the size of a closet) actually does make a difference. You can simulate acoustics on a computer all you want, but i'll speak from experience:
http://soundcloud.com/alphawolf-1