Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   whammy tricks (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422820)

rocken rossco 12-12-2005 03:04 AM

whammy tricks

i was wondering if anyone knows where there is a tutorial for whammy tricks, that can be don on a strat style trem

kaswell 12-12-2005 04:17 AM

I wouldnt do it unless it was locking because its really just going to go out of tune unless it is a good quality trem.

Get a locking trem guitar.

wouter 12-12-2005 05:05 AM

I think on Steve Vai's site you can find some whammy tricks.. though most of them are for floating trems, you could try some of them on your strat style trem.
But like kaswell said, your strings will go out of tune very fast if you do the "heavier" whammy stuff (like divebombs etc.)

EDIT:

found the link:

[url]http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/84/whammy.html[/url]

JausmetalJ 12-12-2005 08:45 AM

YAY, I got a Floating trem, I can try a few now.

Peg Dizzler 12-12-2005 10:43 AM

Someone uploaded this video and posted it on MX once, it's called "funky whammy tricks".. I'd upload it, but I'm on dial up, maybe someone else has it.

And for some reason.. only the sound will play in any of the video files on my computer, I dunno why. :(

bradc1988 12-12-2005 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=Peg Dizzler]Someone uploaded this video and posted it on MX once, it's called "funky whammy tricks".. I'd upload it, but I'm on dial up, maybe someone else has it.

And for some reason.. only the sound will play in any of the video files on my computer, I dunno why. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah that's a good video, taught me a lot. I would upload it but it's 8mb and I have dial-up, sorry.

wouter 12-12-2005 11:22 AM

that "funky whammy trick" video can be found when using the "search" function.

Peg Dizzler 12-12-2005 11:38 AM

Since I can't see the video, I don't know how to do the "cricket" sounds. Then again I don't even own a guitar with a trem. But how are those done?
Such a noob question but oh well. :p

MRDuCran 12-12-2005 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Peg Dizzler]Since I can't see the video, I don't know how to do the "cricket" sounds. Then again I don't even own a guitar with a trem. But how are those done?
Such a noob question but oh well. :p[/QUOTE]

Playing a note and flicking the trem arm so it only vibrates a small amount but rapidly.

bradc1988 12-12-2005 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Peg Dizzler]Since I can't see the video, I don't know how to do the "cricket" sounds. Then again I don't even own a guitar with a trem. But how are those done?
Such a noob question but oh well. :p[/QUOTE]

I think I know how to do these, but my trem sucks and it doesn't work. What you do is pull the bar and just release it. It's like a diving board, pull it down or up then just releasing it makes it spring back and fourth which is essentially what happens with the bridge when you do a cricket.

I think that's a good analogy, it's my understanding of it anyway.

nick911sc 12-12-2005 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=bradc1988]I think I know how to do these, but my trem sucks and it doesn't work. What you do is pull the bar and just release it. It's like a diving board, pull it down or up then just releasing it makes it spring back and fourth which is essentially what happens with the bridge when you do a cricket.

I think that's a good analogy, it's my understanding of it anyway.[/QUOTE]

lol..to do the "cricket" you face the trem away from you, facing away from the strings and slap the tremolo bar forcing it to flutter in the trem cavity.

bradc1988 12-12-2005 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=nick911sc]lol..to do the "cricket" you face the trem away from you, facing away from the strings and slap the tremolo bar forcing it to flutter in the trem cavity.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, it doesn't work on mine. I have no idea why. It just comes straight back to its normal position and doesn't "flutter" as you put it. It's also harder to do with my bar not being able to be tightened. Dam edge pro.

nick911sc 12-12-2005 11:51 AM

I have an edge pro..It's pretty snug in the tremolo doesn't swing freely.

bradc1988 12-12-2005 11:55 AM

Interesting. Are you using the stock bar that came with it or a different one? I was told that you can get a bar that can fix my problem in a thread I made ages ago but havn't found such a bar. I was also told to wrap tape around it, I should try that.

nick911sc 12-12-2005 11:58 AM

I'm using the bar it came with. Does yours have 2 white band around it or 1?

adamstartin 12-12-2005 11:59 AM

Strat trem is fine when pushing downwards, but it becomes very problematic when pulling up on it.

bradc1988 12-12-2005 12:03 PM

White bands???? I have an Edge Pro III by the way, I don't know if it's different to the others.

nick911sc 12-12-2005 12:05 PM

Well, I have the Edge Pro on my prestige and if you pull the bar out of the tremolo unit there are like 2 white stoppers on it that stop it from swinging so freely.

Peg Dizzler 12-12-2005 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=MRDuCran]Playing a note and flicking the trem arm so it only vibrates a small amount but rapidly.[/QUOTE]
That's what I figured. I was thinking that if you had a fast enough hand it could be done. But.. you also have to concentrate on picking, so that's what baffled me. :confused:

[QUOTE=bradc1988]I think I know how to do these, but my trem sucks and it doesn't work. What you do is pull the bar and just release it. It's like a diving board, pull it down or up then just releasing it makes it spring back and fourth which is essentially what happens with the bridge when you do a cricket.

I think that's a good analogy, it's my understanding of it anyway.[/QUOTE]
That makes alot of sense. So, it like springs around after you pull it? I never thought of that.

I'm about to buy a cheapy guitar with a trem, too. How stiff should they be?
My problem is, I'm cool with setting up and modding guitars, but I know I suck with a trem because I never get to use one. :p So I figure it's about time I buy one..

bradc1988 12-12-2005 12:19 PM

AHA! The tape has done the trick. It must've been the fact that the bar would just drop and ruin everything. Hmmm pretty dodgy job with the tape though.

Blue Moon 12-12-2005 12:21 PM

The white things are teflon washers, they ware down after a while, But u dont necesssarly need to replace them, some people But nail varnish around them ot harden them up, Either way i like my trem tight enough so it can swing loose but will stay where i want it to, kinda inbetween...

those "cricket" soudns Pretty much only work on Decent floating trems, They work on some other style trems But its not as good, U just have to move the bar fast enough so it vibrate the springs, and gives to that effect, i always do it, Im a whammy bar whore, usually Whammy bar tricks involving harmonics are great i posted clips ages ago of tricks...

but ideally all u have to do is listen to steve vai and copy what he does!

bradc1988 12-12-2005 12:36 PM

Hey Peg Dizzler try using [URL="http://video-lan.com/"]this[/URL] program to play it. It plays everything and it's free with no ad/spyware, and it's only a few mb.

ChickenStu 12-12-2005 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=Peg Dizzler]
And for some reason.. only the sound will play in any of the video files on my computer, I dunno why. :([/QUOTE]

I had that problem once upon a time with windows media...I believe i just got an updated version and it worked just fine...you should try that out even if its not wmp.

The End 12-12-2005 12:53 PM

123 on the steve vai link

Peg Dizzler 12-12-2005 01:10 PM

Thanks guys. I think it has something to do with my video card though. I know there's conflicting IRQ's (interrupt requests). But I don't know how to fix them; I have the latest update on the vidcard and the latest bios for my motherboard.

Windows media player will play some videos, but not the funky whammy tricks one or most other ones, and I hate wmp anyway. :p
Winamp doesn't seem to play any, same with realplayer.

Sorry to hijack the thread...:p

Daniel K 12-12-2005 01:19 PM

Hey guys, since I am the master of whammy tricks, I will be writing a huge tutorial on how to do whammy tricks with tons of video clips.

BTW: The guy who did the last video tricks lesson was the mx memeber Funky, i haven't seen him in quite some time though.

TheJem 12-12-2005 01:54 PM

brett funk(who posts here sometimes) has some pretty awesome tutorials, one entitled whammy tricks.

you can find them on his webpage:

[url]www.brettfunk.com[/url]

Blue Moon 12-12-2005 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=Daniel K][u]Hey guys, since I am the master of whammy tricks[/u], I will be writing a huge tutorial on how to do whammy tricks with tons of video clips.

BTW: The guy who did the last video tricks lesson was the mx memeber Funky, i haven't seen him in quite some time though.[/QUOTE]

lol.... ill Be the judge of that :p

...i make steve vai jealous :amaze:

Oh and funkys dead.