Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   The Media (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471928)

Danish 05-29-2006 05:42 PM

The Media

What are your thoughts on the media today?

coheneran 05-29-2006 05:47 PM

That's a bit of a broad definition isn't it?

Steve Buscemi 05-29-2006 05:51 PM

Everything is really shallow, not sure how much else there is to say. The 80's movie mentality has really spilled over into the present in the form of "reality TV' and other types of media.

gmoneyguy 05-29-2006 05:53 PM

What type of media? News media? Enterntaiment?

spitfirejunky 05-29-2006 05:54 PM

It's a lot more convenient. Before on-demand, digital TV guides and the internet, I had to devote significant amounts of time to sift through all the bulls[size=2]h[/size]it on most media.

thedeadwalk! 05-29-2006 05:55 PM

It's more of a broad question. But I suppose, then, he just wants a broad answer on our thoughts of the media with which he will razzle dazzle us with his smarts. Even Broadway Danny Rose will give some background to his topical threads. :p

Come on Danish, you mentioned being interested in facism and the media (I think that's what you said), and now it's eating you alive to talk about it with someone. Spill it.

coheneran 05-29-2006 06:01 PM

I like indymedia.

Against Miik! 05-29-2006 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=Diabolus in Musica]What type of media? News media? Enterntaiment?[/QUOTE]

They are kind of the same thing now. Even stories that could be legitimate news are turned into entertainment. Stuff like Laci Peterson and Natalie Hallaway. All this stuff is on the cover of people magazine right next to the latest news on Brad and Angelina.

Danish 05-29-2006 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=thedeadwalk!]It's more of a broad question. But I suppose, then, he just wants a broad answer on our thoughts of the media with which he will razzle dazzle us with his smarts. Even Broadway Danny Rose will give some background to his topical threads. :p

Come on Danish, you mentioned being interested in facism and the media (I think that's what you said), and now it's eating you alive to talk about it with someone. Spill it.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Not "fascism and the media"! "Fascism" and "media." Get it? That's why I've started a thread on the media.

I just wanted to start a discourse on the state of media and media's role in a democratic society, that's all. Sheesh! I don't [i]always[/i] have ulterior motives!

Nazi Bastard 05-29-2006 06:04 PM

It's disgusting. I barely watch it because it's so terrible.

gmoneyguy 05-29-2006 06:06 PM

I have no qualms with enterntainment apsect, mainly because I don't rely on it for information, and I can easily ignore the show I dislike. News thought I wish they cover both sided of everything.

[QUOTE=i am miik]They are kind of the same thing now. Even stories that could be legitimate news are turned into entertainment. Stuff like Laci Peterson and Natalie Hallaway. All this stuff is on the cover of people magazine right next to the latest news on Brad and Angelina.[/QUOTE]
I see what you are saying... but its tabloids they have been doing stuff like that for a while. I meant nore in sense of movies, TV shows, and the like.

thedeadwalk! 05-29-2006 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=Danish]:lol: Not "fascism and the media"! "Fascism" and "media." Get it? That's why I've started a thread on the media.[/quote]
So I left out a comma.

[QUOTE=Danish]I just wanted to start a discourse on the state of media and media's role in a democratic society, that's all. Sheesh! I don't [i]always[/i] have ulterior motives![/QUOTE]
It's just going to be the same as the other media threads: partisan bias, no partisan bias, entertainment pandering, it's okay, independent's where it's at, and so on. At least for my sake, talk about [I]Manufacturing Consent[/I] since I only completed maybe the first chapter, and I doubt any of it made much sense.

PerpetualBurn 05-29-2006 06:53 PM

You can't talk about the media without mentioning how amazing Private Eye is, how shocking the Daily Mail is, and giving some great resepect to the BBC.

gmoneyguy 05-29-2006 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=PerpetualBurn]You can't talk about the media without mentioning how amazing Private Eye is, how shocking the Daily Mail is, and giving some great resepect to the BBC.[/QUOTE]
Its easy for me... mainly because I don't watch the BBC

-1up!- 05-29-2006 07:21 PM

The media portrays a simplistic vision of life, and in turn it instills a simplistic, stereotyped vision of life among those who rely too heavily on it.

Well. Actually that's more for "direct" media such as TV and radio. Few (sadly) are willing to make the intellectual commitment of listening to a 30 min radio conversation about globalisation or democracy.

Carrionshine 05-29-2006 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=i am miik]They are kind of the same thing now. Even stories that could be legitimate news are turned into entertainment. Stuff like Laci Peterson and Natalie Hallaway. All this stuff is on the cover of people magazine right next to the latest news on Brad and Angelina.[/QUOTE]

I agree.I've seen E! True Hollywood Story episodes about Laci Peterson and Joan Benet Ramsey.It's sickening.

Reaganista 05-29-2006 07:58 PM

I think that the internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to the human species

and it also contradicts most traditional critques of the mass media by functioning in a way that is fundamentally opposite.

madeyadams 05-29-2006 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=The Tway]I think that the internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to the human species [/QUOTE]

I agree. We can get all kinds of information on the internet, not to mention the free music, videos, movies, etc that you can download. That's pretty freaking cool.

But I also dislike the media on how harsh it is for physical standards today.. both men AND women. Men are featured in Abercrombie catalogs with no shirts and washboard abs. How realistic is that? I read once they take the guys pictures about 10 minutes after they've been working out all day. But women are just as bad. The modeling industry, TV ads have lots of women selling crap that has nothing to do with how they look. That one TV ad with Paris Hilton and the hamburger where she is wearing nothing but a skimpy bikini? Yeah. Ridiculous.

italic zero 05-29-2006 09:21 PM

It's pretty rad.

Against Miik! 05-29-2006 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=madeyadams]I agree. We can get all kinds of information on the internet, not to mention the free music, videos, movies, etc that you can download. That's pretty freaking cool.

But I also dislike the media on how harsh it is for physical standards today.. both men AND women. Men are featured in Abercrombie catalogs with no shirts and washboard abs. How realistic is that? I read once they take the guys pictures about 10 minutes after they've been working out all day. But women are just as bad. The modeling industry, TV ads have lots of women selling crap that has nothing to do with how they look. That one TV ad with Paris Hilton and the hamburger where she is wearing nothing but a skimpy bikini? Yeah. Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Better than supporting obesity. Everybody says we should present people how we really are. Picture this. A 450 lbs woman taking down 5 or 6 Burger King burgers in a bikini on top of a car.

/pukes

madeyadams 05-29-2006 09:28 PM

You have a valid point. I would rather have our media supporting thinness than obesity. At least then I would have something to strive for that is at least attractive, haha.

-1up!- 05-29-2006 09:30 PM

among all media, wikipedia is awesome. I could spend hours going from one article to another, following the endless number of links in any article.

Nazi Bastard 05-29-2006 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=madeyadams]You have a valid point. I would rather have our media supporting thinness than obesity. At least then I would have something to strive for that is at least attractive, haha.[/QUOTE]
Being fat is healthier than being skinny.

madeyadams 05-29-2006 09:33 PM

I should say not, Josh. When youre fat, you have all that unnessecary and extra weight that is being pressed on your organs, ESPECIALLY your heart. Granted, there is a difference between fat and obese, but either one isn't healthy. Being skinny and too skinny is different too, but at least when you're skinny you don't have higher risks for heart complications.

Against Miik! 05-29-2006 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Nazi Bastard]Being fat is healthier than being skinny.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but obesity is far more widespread than anorexia and stuff like that. I would also argue that being underweight is easier to cure than being severely overweight. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe we should put obese people in bikinis chowin down in our commercials. That way, some of the fatties would see how gross they look and start pukin up every other meal. I mean, our media portrays beauty, and we get uglier, so maybe the reverse will work. amirite?

Nazi Bastard 05-29-2006 09:35 PM

Technically speaking though, being fat is in fact healthier. I kind of see your point though.

EDIT: ^That was to Madey.

EDIT 2: I agree miik

madeyadams 05-29-2006 09:37 PM

I guess it could be. Your body has insulation and fat to keep it warm I suppose. But other than that, I don't see how it is.

[quote=miik]I would also argue that being underweight is easier to cure than being severely overweight.[/quote]

I agree with this x10.

Nazi Bastard 05-29-2006 09:42 PM

+Your body has extra fat to live off of.

madeyadams 05-29-2006 09:44 PM

It wouldn't go to living off of your fat unless you weren't eating anything at all, so under those terms, it need not apply unless you're anorexic. Which is pretty hard to go from one extreme to the other.

Nazi Bastard 05-29-2006 09:46 PM

You get my point :-\