Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Featured Artist #9: Simon and Garfunkel (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239709)

GurS 09-14-2004 09:53 AM

Featured Artist #9: Simon and Garfunkel

[IMG]http://www.sonymusic.com.tw/news/200208/20020829-1/20020829-1-b2.jpg[/IMG]

On October 13, 1941, Paul Simon was born in Newark, New Jersey. Three weeks later, Arthur Garfunkel was born in Queens, New York on November 5. The simons moved to Queens shortly afterwards, and the two became friends during a 6th grade production of [I]Alice in Wonderland[/I]. The two practice singing wtih each other in the Garfunkel's basement.

In the late 50's, Simon and Garfunkel released a song, "Hey, Schoolgirl", that reached Number 49 on Billbaord's Top 100 under the name 'Tom and Jerry'. However, following singles under the 'Tom and Jerry' name did not do as well, and the two split up. Simon released two songs - one, "Lone Teen-Ranger", under the monker 'Jerry Landis', and the other, "Motorcycle", under then name 'Tico and the Triumphs'. Garfunkel released two singles as 'Artie Garr'.

A few years later, the two bumped into each other their old neighbourhood. Simon played Garfunkel some songs, and Garfunkel thought (and I quote), "These are absolute gold." While Simon was going from record company to record company on behalf o fhte music publishing firm E. B. Marks, he mentioned to a Columbia Records' staff producer that he has some orginal songs worth hearing. They recieved a studio audition.

Simon and Garfunkel released their debut album, [I]Wednesday Morning 3 A.M.[/I] in 1964. [I]Wednesday Morning[/I] is a very folk-y album, which features a rather 'raw' Simon and Garfunkel, consisting of just them and an acoustic guitar. The album was a hit in England, and thusly Paul Simon was asked to record a solo album in London, which he did, called "The Paul Simon Songbook" which was never released in America.

1966 saw the release of the 2nd Simon and Garfunkel album. This album featured a more electric based Simon and Garfunkel, which was a sound they maintained for a majority of the remainder of their albums. The album's title track, an eletric re-working of a song from the first album, gave Simon and Garfunkel the first of 3 #1 hits. In the same year, they released the album "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme", which featured two medleys: Scarborough fair/Canticle, which gave the album it's name and is one of Simon and Garfunkel's best loved songs, and 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night, one of the most haunting songs ever written.

Simon and Garfunkel's next album, released in '68, was, in fact, the soundtrack to "The Graduate", a famous movie staring Dustin Hoffman. This album included a basic version of a song called "Mrs. Robinson". Their second '68 album, Bookends, gave them some of their biggest hits, including "A Hazy Shade Of Winter", "At The Zoo", "America" (my personal favourite Simon and Garfunkel song) and "Mrs. Robinson", the 2nd of their 3 #1 hits. Their next album, however was to be their last. in 1970, Simon and Garfunkel released Bridge Over Troubled Water, which included some of Simon and Garfunkel's best loved songs. After this album, Simon and Garfunkel split up.

Since then, both men have had succesful solo career's, and have had two reunion world tours.

DISCOGRAPHY:

[IMG]http://www.stockmail.ru/~simon/img/disk/wed3am.gif[/IMG]
WEDNESDAY MORNING, 3 A.M.

Suggested songs:
The Sound Of Silence (accoustic)
Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
He Was My Brother
The Sun Is Burning
Benedictus

[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/soho/coffeehouse/8132/sg/graphics/alsos.jpg[/IMG]
SOUNDS OF SILENCE

Suggested songs:
The Sound Of Silence (electric)
We've Got A Groovy Thing Goin'
Richard Cory
April Come She Will
I Am A Rock

[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/soho/coffeehouse/8132/sg/graphics/alpsrt.jpg[/IMG]
PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY AND THYME

Suggested songs:
Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall
Scarborough Fair/Canticle
The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
7 O'Clock News/Silent Night
Homeward Bound

[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/soho/coffeehouse/8132/sg/graphics/albknds.jpg[/IMG]
BOOKENDS

Suggested songs:
America
A Hazy Shade Of WInter
At The Zoo
Mrs. Robinson
Old Friends/Bookends

[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/soho/coffeehouse/8132/sg/graphics/albotw.jpg[/IMG]
BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATERS

Suggested songs:
The Boxer
El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Song For The Asking
Keep The Customers Satisfied

Tapeworm 09-14-2004 10:02 AM

Nicely done man. I only own "Sounds of Silence" and it is a brilliant record.

shotgun next FA!!!!

GurS 09-14-2004 10:04 AM

i have all of 'em on vinyl, sounds of silence and bridge over troubled waters on cd, 3 different collections of their stuff (two on cd, one on tape) and bridge over troubled waters on tape.

Bartender 09-14-2004 10:33 AM

Good choice and good work, though all I have of Simon and Garfunkel is a best of, I think.

The Ashtray Girl 09-14-2004 12:23 PM

heh, just posted in the last FA about waiting for this. je suis un fool. V nicely done, and interesting choice.

[QUOTE=Tapeworm]

shotgun next FA!!!![/QUOTE]

I actually detest you with every fibre of my being right now.

Love you really though.

PDWAB 09-14-2004 12:38 PM

Nice work, they have some of the best harmonies ever.

Iai 09-14-2004 12:58 PM

The only Simon & Garfunkel cover I own is a cover version by Nevermore of The Sound Of Silence. And I'm guessing, since that's a thrash metal song, it doesn't sound anything like the duo's other material. :lol:

Sweet FA though. (pun intended)

RIPJoeStrummer 09-14-2004 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Tapeworm]Nicely done man. I only own "Sounds of Silence" and it is a brilliant record.

Son of a...

Great FA by the way, very informing. :thumb:

Bartender 09-14-2004 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=Iai]
Sweet FA though. (pun intended)[/QUOTE]

:(.

br3ad_man 09-14-2004 08:03 PM

Good work man, I love these guys...my favourite song is "The Boxer"

[QUOTE=Tapeworm]Nicely done man. I only own "Sounds of Silence" and it is a brilliant record.

Tapeworm is so going to do Jeff Buckley :p

dans107 09-15-2004 04:14 AM

[QUOTE]Sweet FA though. (pun intended)[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought ;)

Great FA though man. I've only heard a handful of stuff, but I do like what I've heard a lot.

I think a trip down to the music shop is in order now!

JAStewart 09-15-2004 04:32 AM

[QUOTE=GurS]
Suggested songs:
Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall
Scarborough Fair/Canticle
The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
7 O'Clock News/Silent Night
Homeward Bound

Suggested songs:
America
A Hazy Shade Of WInter
At The Zoo
Mrs. Robinson
Old Friends/Bookends

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

Tapeworm 09-15-2004 07:42 AM

I didn't wanna call it cause I knew people had been waiting for it, but .... I just couldn't resist.

Kingadamx 09-16-2004 01:41 PM

Very Informative. I really haven't heard that much of these guys except for a few radio staples. I'll have to pick up one of their albums.

lilpete86 09-16-2004 02:29 PM

awesome FA, i'm not really a big fan of their music but it was still an interesting read.

joshmay 09-16-2004 02:31 PM

really great job, i love this group.

can ANYONE suggest a good soulseek alternative?

lilpete86 09-16-2004 02:35 PM

if you have a lot to share then DC++ is supposed to be amazing, although I can't get it to work due to my firewall.

Per Ardua Ad Astra 09-16-2004 07:38 PM

Wonderful FA. i'm always listening to them in the car, as my mom is a huge fan.

PianoDan 09-17-2004 01:43 AM

My Dad's a big fan. I just bought him their "Best of" album for Father's Day so I've heard a bit of them now. They're good, I like them a lot. Great harmonies. Nice songs. Plus Simon shares my surname.

Wanker 09-20-2004 07:47 PM

I love Simon and Garfunkel.

Good FA :thumb:

The Ashtray Girl 09-21-2004 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=Tapeworm]I didn't wanna call it cause I knew people had been waiting for it, but .... I just couldn't resist.[/QUOTE]

It's ok, I forgive you, especially if you do Jeff Buckley.

But then it's mine. I hope.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 09-21-2004 02:27 PM

good FA, amazing group

denboy 09-22-2004 12:20 PM

Amazing group indeed.. I wish I had gone see them when they played in Denmark this summer

Tapeworm 09-23-2004 06:39 AM

Hey when should I post the next FA? I'm just finishing up collating all my information and I'm about to write it.

The Ashtray Girl 09-23-2004 02:17 PM

When I'm online... Nah, just kidding. There doesn't seem to be a lot more conversation on this FA for the moment, so you may as well put it up once you're done.

GurS 09-23-2004 02:21 PM

woo! my FA got to two pages :)

GurS 09-23-2004 02:21 PM

quick question - did anyone expect me to do this? or optionally iron maiden?

Tapeworm 09-23-2004 10:43 PM

I'd never seen you before so I didn't know what you would do. Heh.

Tangy zizzle 09-26-2004 03:52 PM

I love Simon & Garfunkel.

'nuff said.

Kingadamx 09-26-2004 03:56 PM

Just bought Bookends. A really great album. The FA forced me to finally buy a simon and garfunkel album. Thanks.