Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 09:40 AM

Not much, man. Just another day at work. Tired as hell from staying up so late recording and drinking. Thank God I keep a 12-pk of Red Bull at my desk.

:amaze: 04-27-2009 09:46 AM

haha nice. yeah, i got like 3 hours of sleep last night. got my microbiology final here in a couple hours. definitely looking forward to that being over. then i just have one more on wednesday and i get to celebrate by headlining at my favorite venue in town.

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 09:58 AM

Man, I don't have finals for another two weeks or so, but it's a good thing because I have a lot of late homework and lab write-ups that I need to finish and turn in for credit.

My non-euclidian geometry class is just killing me. I'm fairly certain it's going to be the first class I've ever failed, and what's worse is that I actually worked in that class. Damn.

I can't wait to start playing shows again.

When is your band making their AZ tour?

:amaze: 04-27-2009 10:01 AM

haha, i don't see us playing outside of the midwest at this point. i've still got a year of school left, and the others have normal day jobs so none of us are in a position to go on an extended tour. maybe some day, though.

and i feel for you on the math front. i squeaked by calc 1 (granted, i never went and didn't put forth any effort) and haven't taken a math class since....

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 10:15 AM

[quote=:amaze:;17206766]haha, i don't see us playing outside of the midwest at this point. i've still got a year of school left, and the others have normal day jobs so none of us are in a position to go on an extended tour. maybe some day, though.

and i feel for you on the math front. i squeaked by calc 1 (granted, i never went and didn't put forth any effort) and haven't taken a math class since....[/quote]

Well, if you ever do head down this way, hit me up. We'll go bar hop down Mill Ave (probably around where you'd be playing anyways).

What sucks is that I'm a math major and I'm really wanting to specialize in Topology (which has a geometry foundation). I think I'll be shelling out another $1500 to take it again next semester. :upset: It's hard because most math can be approached logically by computational methods. Pure geometry is completely intuitive and full of proofs. It's crazy.

fatbandit 04-27-2009 10:51 AM

Can't wait to get the first mixes back from the recordings we've been doing.

Seems to have taken forever to get done! Done 4 tracks. They sound less 'metal' than the songs we've done before. In production terms, anyway. Bit more organic sounding.

Recorded bass tone by fashioning a rudimentary crossover type rig and recording a clean channel and a distorted channel for everything. Hoping it sounds mahoosive D:

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 11:08 AM

I can never find a dirty, mildly crunchy tone that I like that doesn't take away from my mids. And it's usually a very prominent distortion. Any suggestions?

PaulSimonon 04-27-2009 11:24 AM

[url]http://blackstoneappliances.com/[/url]

Shyeah?

Epidemechanical 04-27-2009 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;17206835]I can never find a dirty, mildly crunchy tone that I like that doesn't take away from my mids. And it's usually a very prominent distortion. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

unless you're talking about how the bass sits in a mix then you've probably around found the sound you want

getting a bass tone you like just...by itself really is pointless its always gonna change in a mix

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 11:35 AM

[quote=Raayl;17206852]unless you're talking about how the bass sits in a mix then you've probably around found the sound you want

getting a bass tone you like just...by itself really is pointless its always gonna change in a mix[/quote]

Yes, I mean in a mix.

Fatbandit, how'd you go about setting up your simultaneous channels? What did your setup look like? Maybe an A/B/Y box?

fatbandit 04-27-2009 11:36 AM

My tone sounds poop on its own.

Some would argue it sounds poop in the mix too ;)

Basically my suggestions for distortion like that are to buy an Ampeg SVT II and crank the sh!t out of it, try a pedal like a Mojo Hand Cream Pie, or use a blend pedal so you always have your clean tone in there too.

fatbandit 04-27-2009 11:38 AM

For the simultaneous channels when we recorded, my bass went into a true bypass stereo delay pedal (it was the only spare thing we had with two outputs, olol). One channel went straight into the desk, and the rest went to my pedals/amp which was mic'd up.

The desk signal has had more emphasis put into the lows/low mids, and the amp had the bass cut, and the mid frequency shifted higher but the treble boosted more than I'd normally have it.

Ideally would have used a second amp instead of going to the desk, but we improvised.

EDIT: Though after hearing how it sounded, I'm going to get either a Lehle passive splitter, or a Rolls SX21 crossover for my pedalboard, and run the second channel on my power amp into a second cab as a clean channel now I think.

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 11:59 AM

Hmm, interesting. Good to know.

You could theoretically split the signal, run two separate chains, and combine them back together and run it all into one amp input, correct?

fatbandit 04-27-2009 12:04 PM

In theory, yes, I don't see why not. That's a hugely inefficient use of the speaker cab's power though. Especially if you're using a crossover - it would defy the point of splitting the frequency and sending it to cabs tailored for each sound. If you're not using a crossover though, and you're only doing it for a distortion tone from a pedal you like blended with clean, then you're best off getting something like a Boss LS-2 or a Barge Concepts VFB-jr. That's easier than splitting and merging the signal if you're just using one amp/cab, and gives you more control over the blend.

Some amps (not many... The Peavey Firebass springs to mind) also have a crossover built in. If you can find an actual bi-amp cab, then you can do it all through one cab, with different speakers covering different frequencies. The GK amps can do this, but I think they only work with GK cabs. Seeing as that's done from the head though, I'm not sure if you can use that in conjunction with efects pedals.

Also, if you have tweeters in your cab, turn them off. They're horrible with distortion.

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 12:30 PM

[quote=fatbandit;17206911]In theory, yes, I don't see why not. That's a hugely inefficient use of the speaker cab's power though. Especially if you're using a crossover - it would defy the point of splitting the frequency and sending it to cabs tailored for each sound. If you're not using a crossover though, and you're only doing it for a distortion tone from a pedal you like blended with clean, then you're best off getting something like a Boss LS-2 or a Barge Concepts VFB-jr. That's easier than splitting and merging the signal if you're just using one amp/cab, and gives you more control over the blend.

Some amps (not many... The Peavey Firebass springs to mind) also have a crossover built in. If you can find an actual bi-amp cab, then you can do it all through one cab, with different speakers covering different frequencies. The GK amps can do this, but I think they only work with GK cabs. Seeing as that's done from the head though, I'm not sure if you can use that in conjunction with efects pedals.

Also, if you have tweeters in your cab, turn them off. They're horrible with distortion.[/quote]

No tweeters for me.

I'll have to check into the LS-2. My current rig only runs one amp, and I'm still rather fond of its tone, so I'll have to make due. I don't plan on using a dirty channel too often, but it'd be nice for a couple songs of ours that really need it.

BenJammin 04-27-2009 12:56 PM

Nice! My Cursive vinyl showed up super early. It wasn't even supposed to ship until May 5th, and it arrived today. Sweet translucent red 180g vinyl, a 15 page 12" colour booklet, a CD copy of the album, and a download card for bonus material and videos. $15. Sweet deal. :cool:

Spaceman Spiff 04-27-2009 03:38 PM

Hey, Joe, would you be interested in hearing a quick demo version of a song we recorded the other day? I'd like to know what you think. We didn't record vocals for the demo, or real drums, or real piano, but those will all be on the final version. There will also be solidified guitar parts, as I improvised the both the lead and rhythm tracks.

Anyway, yay? Nay?

Epidemechanical 04-27-2009 03:40 PM

wtf spiff

Spaceman Spiff 04-27-2009 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=Raayl;17207319]wtf spiff[/QUOTE]

What?

Epidemechanical 04-27-2009 03:42 PM

when are you gonna learn nobody cares about every inch of every detail of your bands recording process jesus christ dude learn some self control we dont need to see and hear every detail of capital h's intensive studio and live experience

showing people rough drafts is so dumb

its also equally dumb to upload terrible quality videos of your totally unknown band to youtube i mean nobody wants to even listen to tool from cell phone videos cause it sounds like crap why would they listen to a crappy unknown band i mean seriously

Spaceman Spiff 04-27-2009 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=Raayl;17207325]when are you gonna learn nobody cares about every inch of every detail of your bands recording process jesus christ dude learn some self control we dont need to see and hear every detail of capital h's intensive studio and live experience

showing people rough drafts is so dumb

its also equally dumb to upload terrible quality videos of your totally unknown band to youtube i mean nobody wants to even listen to tool from cell phone videos cause it sounds like crap why would they listen to a crappy unknown band i mean seriously[/QUOTE]

Okay.

BenJammin 04-27-2009 03:55 PM

He's got a point, man, about not showing off every bit of recording progress that you make. Stuff like that can usually be safely just kept within the band so it can be worked on.

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 04:28 PM

[quote=Spaceman Spiff;17207314]Hey, Joe, would you be interested in hearing a quick demo version of a song we recorded the other day? I'd like to know what you think. We didn't record vocals for the demo, or real drums, or real piano, but those will all be on the final version. There will also be solidified guitar parts, as I improvised the both the lead and rhythm tracks.

Anyway, yay? Nay?[/quote]

Sure, man. I'd be totally interested to listen to it when I get home.

If you can email it, bassplayer420 at cheatcc dot com.

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 04:30 PM

[quote=BenJammin;17207371]He's got a point, man, about not showing off every bit of recording progress that you make. Stuff like that can usually be safely just kept within the band so it can be worked on.[/quote]

This is very true. You don't want stuff to get stolen. My old guitarist jacked the main riff from a song-in-progress that I had going and asked him to help write. He said he didn't like it and didn't want to help. A year later, it's in one of his songs.

He is such a f**king douchebag.

Phalanx 04-27-2009 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;17207456]This is very true. You don't want stuff to get stolen. My old guitarist jacked the main riff from a song-in-progress that I had going and asked him to help write. He said he didn't like it and didn't want to help. A year later, it's in one of his songs.

He is such a f**king douchebag.[/QUOTE]

Woah, what a ****ing asshole. Is it on his myspace or something?

FunkMetalBass 04-27-2009 04:45 PM

[quote=Phalanx;17207460]Woah, what a ****ing spatula. Is it on his myspace or something?[/quote]

No. He sent it to me. He didn't have lyrics and he probably wont touch it for quite a while (it wasn't that good). But he flat out just told me he took it when I asked, and he thought it was no big deal.

He has a rather 80s rock approach to his writing (always in 4/4, 3/4, or 6/8), he doesn't really break key, he always ends on the root chord, somewhat typical chord progressions....there's no way his stuff even sounds like mine in terms of writing....I'm nearly polar opposite!

I should steal some riff of his. He's a broke mother ****er that couldn't afford to litigate if he tried.

/bitterness.

Efrim 04-27-2009 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17207004]Nice! My Cursive vinyl showed up super early. It wasn't even supposed to ship until May 5th, and it arrived today. Sweet translucent red 180g vinyl, a 15 page 12" colour booklet, a CD copy of the album, and a download card for bonus material and videos. $15. Sweet deal. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry, that sounds just [I]awful.[/I]

Hey Ben, want my phone number?

BenJammin 04-27-2009 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=Efrim;17207559]I'm so sorry, that sounds just [I]awful.[/I]

Hey Ben, want my phone number?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, probably a good idea, man. Just incase I need to get a hold of you.

Send it to my hotmail account.

P.S. we better plan for 4:30 instead of 4:00, just to take into account any potential traffic issues. I'm leaving at 8am Atlantic, so I should get into Montreal around 3-3:30pm Eastern (assuming 8-8.5 hour drive).

Efrim 04-27-2009 05:29 PM

Sounds good to me, I won't feel like rushing through my exam.
I will anyway.

Let's plan to meet right inside the main gate. there is a stone bench area beside a map of the campus. Sit there.

I will approach you with a copy of Tuesday's newspaper, and mention the New York Yankees. You will compliment the surrounding foliage.
Having made contact, I will stand up and head north, and you will follow at a discreet distance. Follow me to a safe place for the exchange.

BenJammin 04-27-2009 05:38 PM

Okay. I'm going to print off some directions and hope to god I get to the right place.

What street is the main gate off of?

I'll be the guy who looks like he's filthy with a girl far prettier than should be with him.

Was that number a landline or a cellphone?