Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Top 10 Signs of The Impending US Police State (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471421)

Carrionshine 05-27-2006 10:17 PM

Top 10 Signs of The Impending US Police State

[url]http://www.buffalobeast.com/99/policestate.htm[/url]

I stumbled across this today.I'm wondering what you guys think about it.

YDload 05-27-2006 10:43 PM

Bullsh[size=2]it[/size].

Right now I'm reading [i]Fear And Loathing In America[/i], which is a collection of Hunter S. Thompson's letters from 1968-76. Very interesting.

Throughout his letters, Thompson expresses a seemingly sincere fear that the US Government will cease to exist and that Nixon will take over as a dictator by 1972. The point is, people on the extreme left are always afraid that Republican presidents are going to turn the country into a fascist state. And guess what? Conservatives said the same thing about Clinton! It's all partisan garbage, and that site doesn't even do a good job in that respect.

Nazi Bastard 05-27-2006 10:45 PM

I honestly hope this happens.

Reaganista 05-28-2006 12:08 AM

James R. Schlesinger called the joint chiefs together when watergate broke to remind them that any orders of the president had to go through him and they weren't to obey direct commands.
supposedly because he thought Nixon was going to try to take over the country, although he's maintained that this was just a friendly reminder on a coincidental day.

Against Miik! 05-28-2006 12:50 AM

All those things are true, but not to the extent that the author wants us to think. However, i've believe since the patriot act was passed that we are leaning in the wrong direction.

coheneran 05-28-2006 07:32 AM

I'll add a British "Countdown To 1984."

[B]>[/B] The War on Terror, and before that the War on Drugs.

[B]>[/B] The future introduction of compulsory ID cards that contain a biometrics chip which is designed to store DNA, fingerprints, retina scans, info on piercings and tattoos and moles/birthmarks, criminal history and sometime in the future credit and medical history.

[B]>[/B] SOCPA (Serious Organised Crime and Police Act) which made it illegal for any protests to be held within one kilometer of the Houses of Parliament without asking police permission a week in advance. This makes spontaneous demonstrations in that radius absolutely illegal.

[B]>[/B] Refugee detention centres, which are centres of terrible human rights abuses by the privately-owned security firms who run it. These detention centres may hold any foreigner indefinitely, because unlike a crime which has a maximum amount of jail-time, refugees were not put in there for committing crimes, and therefore are held prisoner illegally and indefinitely. One man was held for five years with no clue as to when he will come out, sometimes he thought never.

[B]>[/B] The LARR Bill (Legislative And Regulatory Reform Bill, aka Abolition of Parliament Bill), which will allow ministers to amend or repeal any existing laws, and also to create new laws and new criminal offences. This Bill, if passed, would also give ministers the power to repeal itself, and so getting rid of any safety checks and balances placed on the Bill. It could mean that there might be no more elections, because a minister could abolish the act stating that an election must be held every five years.

[B]>[/B] Tony Blair is now speaking of amending the Human Rights Act, I'm not sure why.

[B]>[/B] High investment in CCTV cameras, and installation of cameras on estates, with control access to residents.

That's as much as I can think of, for now.

RandyfromPennywise 05-28-2006 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=coheneran]
[B]>[/B] Refugee detention centres, which are centres of terrible human rights abuses by the privately-owned security firms who run it. These detention centres may hold any foreigner indefinitely, because unlike a crime which has a maximum amount of jail-time, refugees were not put in there for committing crimes, and therefore are held prisoner illegally and indefinitely. One man was held for five years with no clue as to when he will come out, sometimes he thought never.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the Land Down Under friends.

deathscreamingsheep 05-28-2006 08:13 AM

That link was nearly as good as Shelley the Republican's blog.

coheneran 05-28-2006 11:40 AM

The BBC have found that since we invaded Iraq around a thousand soldiers of the British army have deserted. The government are now discussing a Bill which, if passed, would make it an offence for British soldiers to refuse to occupy a foreign country. This begs the question: How many more countries are they intending to occupy that call for such a non-specific law?

PerpetualBurn 05-28-2006 12:51 PM

That seems fair. If you sign up for the army you shouldn't then complain when you have to take orders.

coheneran 05-28-2006 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=PerpetualBurn]That seems fair. If you sign up for the army you shouldn't then complain when you have to take orders.[/QUOTE]

Except that the general consensus as to why people should join the army is to protect their country, and people can see that the Iraq War is clearly not defence of one's country.

nowhesingsnowhesobs 05-28-2006 01:08 PM

no jackass if you sign up you're obliged to follow your orders

PerpetualBurn 05-28-2006 01:10 PM

The British army, along with most other developed countries' armies, is involved in a lot of overseas peace-keeping operations.

And irrespective of that, a soldier's political opinion is irrelevant, they should follow orders (unless that order breaches international law). You can't have an army where defecting is okay.

Why is it unreasonable of the government to expect soldiers to go to war when they're told?

MegaPhony 05-28-2006 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]Except that the general consensus as to why people should join the army is to protect their country, and people can see that the Iraq War is clearly not defence of one's country.[/QUOTE]

Depends on your definition of protect.
From the point of view of the government, the Iraq War is protection against further events such as 9/11. So in a way, they are protecting the nation.
Don't join the war if you don't want to fight.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Ever heard of a firefighter who ran away from burning buildings?
Nobody wants to die, but then again those who are aware of the risks don't join the army...

coheneran 05-28-2006 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=MegaPhony]Depends on your definition of protect.
From the point of view of the government, the Iraq War is protection against further events such as 9/11. So in a way, they are protecting the nation.
Don't join the war if you don't want to fight.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Ever heard of a firefighter who ran away from burning buildings?
Nobody wants to die, but then again those who are aware of the risks don't join the army...[/QUOTE]

I swear there was something in the human rights act about conscientious refusal.

Danish 05-28-2006 04:41 PM

You know, in many ways the US is starting to resemble a proto-fascist state. Check out: [url]http://www.marxists.org/glossary/terms/f/a.htm#fascism[/url]

Reaganista 05-28-2006 04:49 PM

lol

coheneran 05-28-2006 04:58 PM

Heh, nice one.

Danish 05-28-2006 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=Spat Out Plath]Self-reference, eh?[/QUOTE]

Huh?

coheneran 05-28-2006 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=Danish]Huh?[/QUOTE]

He's calling you a Marxist.

coheneran 05-28-2006 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=Spat Out Plath]No, I was saying a Marxism and Fascism are really similar. God.[/QUOTE]

They're nothing like each other. Didn't you read the description? One is an extreme elitist capitalism, another is communist.

Danish 05-28-2006 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=Spat Out Plath]No, I was saying a Marxism and Fascism are really similar. God.[/QUOTE]

Marxism and fascism are actually very, very different.

Danish 05-28-2006 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=coheneran]They're nothing like each other. Didn't you read the description? One is an extreme elitist capitalism, another is communist.[/QUOTE]

It could be argued, and successfully in my opinion, that Stalinism is a highly elitest form of state capitalism. But it should be noted that Stalinism really has little to do with Marx.

coheneran 05-28-2006 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=Danish]It could be argued, and successfully in my opinion, that Stalinism is a highly elitest form of state capitalism. But it should be noted that Stalinism really has little to do with Marx.[/QUOTE]

I don't like arguing with people who use the Stalinism argument against communism, because sinking that low to such a shallow example tells me that they're not really open to new ideas or persuasion, or even that they understand communism beyond what McCarthy-ism teaches.

-1up!- 05-28-2006 08:08 PM

People who analyse communism through Stalinism are idiots, period. The saddest thing is, that kind of idiocy is pretty popular.

coheneran 05-29-2006 04:51 AM

[QUOTE=-1up!-]People who analyse communism through Stalinism are idiots, period. The saddest thing is, that kind of idiocy is pretty popular.[/QUOTE]

It's popular because it's a good argument for people who just want to put communism down. But people who argue for the sake of knowledge can see it's stupid.

PerpetualBurn 05-29-2006 05:15 AM

[QUOTE=coheneran]I swear there was something in the human rights act about conscientious refusal.[/QUOTE]

How can someone justify voluntarily joining the army and then expecting to become a conscientious objector when they don't like the politics involved?

coheneran 05-29-2006 05:27 AM

[QUOTE=PerpetualBurn]How can someone justify voluntarily joining the army and then expecting to become a conscientious objector when they don't like the politics involved?[/QUOTE]

Because the whole reason people join the army nowadays is to defend their country, and people can see Iraq has nowt to do with defence!

coheneran 05-29-2006 06:31 AM

I agree with that, but I think it's a different situation when soldiers were misled from the first into believeing their country needs protection (the whole WMDs bullcrap).

PerpetualBurn 05-29-2006 07:23 AM

No. A soldier must act independent from politics.

If he votes Labour at the election, and the Tories get in to power, then he is still no less of a soldier. He must act as he did before.

You sign up to the army to do what you're told, and you can't cry about it if you disagree with the orders.