Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The Official Jam Band Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207777)

Kingadamx 07-19-2004 05:24 PM

Okay for the next I am going to do [B]Cream[/B]. I am not sure if you could classify them as a Jam Band or not but they do a lot of long jams especially on Wheels of Fire so you can argue for or against it.

My Favorite Song: N.S.U.
My Favorite Album: Wheels of Fire

keep on phishin' 07-19-2004 06:47 PM

ah cream

song: spoonful
album: wheels of fire

and by the way....what genre do u think phish is in? ...and no jam band isnt a genre.

e p 07-19-2004 07:48 PM

phish is anything from bluegrass,jazz,funk,rock,blues.

I believe people that dont know a lot about their music or, just for simple reasons, would say rock. i actually would list them under jazz funk-rock, if thats at all possible.

keep on phishin' 07-19-2004 07:51 PM

^alright thanks i wasnt sure because they combine so many different styles and everything

Badmoon 07-19-2004 07:56 PM

Cream's not a Jam Band.

e p 07-19-2004 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=keep on phishin']^alright thanks i wasnt sure because they combine so many different styles and everything[/QUOTE]

sure, anytime.

And in response to badmoon: I didnt think they were either but thats probably because Ive only heard the name and knew that clapton was in it. I figured they were rock but Im downloading some right now to see.

edit: plus I believe a "jam band" is all very subjective. For example: I didnt think Cream was a jam band but kingadmx believed they were. A saying comes to mind; music is in the ear of the beholder.

Kingadamx 07-19-2004 08:27 PM

^This is true. I wasn't really sure if Cream could be considered a Jam Band or not, I really posted that to see what everyone's opinions on it were. Badmoon could you elaborate on why you don't think Cream is a Jam Band.

F.Y.I. - I am not trying to argue with anyone, I'm just trying to keep this thread alive by opening up discussion and seeking people's opinions. :thumb:

Badmoon 07-19-2004 08:33 PM

[QUOTE]^This is true. I wasn't really sure if Cream could be considered a Jam Band or not, I really posted that to see what everyone's opinions on it were. Badmoon could you elaborate on why you don't think Cream is a Jam Band.[/QUOTE]

Because they do not tour nonstop.

Kingadamx 07-19-2004 08:52 PM

Ah Good Call I forgot about that factor. I stand corrected.

Kingadamx 07-19-2004 08:58 PM

Okay then Let's go with [B]Blues Traveler[/B].

My Favorite Song: Hook
My Favorite Album: Travelers and Thieves

Badmoon 07-19-2004 09:06 PM

:)

Song: Optimistic Thought
Album: Can't decide between [I]Save His Soul[/I], or [I]Travelers and Thieves[/I].

e p 07-19-2004 10:40 PM

Favorite Song: Hook & colaboration w/ DMb on what would you say
album:Save His Soul

e p 07-21-2004 02:21 PM

Hey guys Im going on vacation for about a week starting tomorrow but Ill be back. Try to keep this thread alive, its a good one. Here are some topics just in case(i forgot if weve covered some or not):
moe.
string cheese incident
dave matthews and friends
keller williams
flecktones

peace

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-21-2004 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=e p]Yeah its pretty hard not to dl songs for jam bands such as phish, who are famous for great tours that you can only get online. I know there are bootlegs/live recordings but i dont know where to get them.[/QUOTE]

i got a good site for you. gdlive.com. tons of legal phish and grateful dead bootlegs

Badmoon 07-21-2004 03:22 PM

Jerry's birthday is coming up. I wish I could go to West Virginia and go to the festival.

Stick-Munch 07-21-2004 03:26 PM

Erm... hey. I'm a bassist, and I really like Phish's work (Mike Gordon is great) and Les Claypool's various jam-band projects. Could you recommend something similar?

Thanks xx

Badmoon 07-21-2004 03:30 PM

^Well, I think if you combine those you get something like moe..

But, check out Gov't Mule's - The Deep End Vol. 1 and/or 2.

^Vol. 1 has Gordon on it, and Vol. 2 has Claypool on it :).

Check out Oysterhead too.

Stick-Munch 07-21-2004 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=badmoon349]^Well, I think if you combine those you get something like moe..
But, check out Gov't Mule's - The Deep End Vol. 1 and/or 2.
^Vol. 1 has Gordon on it, and Vol. 2 has Claypool on it :).
Check out Oysterhead too.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot...! I appreciate it

keep on phishin' 07-21-2004 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=Stick-Munch]Erm... hey. I'm a bassist, and I really like Phish's work (Mike Gordon is great) and Les Claypool's various jam-band projects. Could you recommend something similar?

Thanks xx[/QUOTE]

maybe some widespread panic the bassist is amazing and i love his work. dunno if its in the category as les claypool and everything but definitely worth checking out

Stick-Munch 07-21-2004 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=keep on phishin']maybe some widespread panic the bassist is amazing and i love his work. dunno if its in the category as les claypool and everything but definitely worth checking out[/QUOTE]
OK. Thanks!

Jigglypuff 07-22-2004 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=Kingadamx]Okay then Let's go with [B]Blues Traveler[/B].

My Favorite Song: Hook
My Favorite Album: Travelers and Thieves[/QUOTE]

These guys don't get enough attention in my opinion. Great band.

My Favourite Song: "Stand"
My Favourite Album: [i]Four[/i]

Dave Matthews Band:

So they're commercial. I still don't think that any band from the 80's/90's resurgence of jamming can be given more credit for bringing the jam scene to the spotlight, besides (of course) Phish.

My Favourite Song: "Satellite"
My Favourite Album: [i]Before These Crowded Streets[/i]

Have we covered the Allman Brothers Band yet? They're my newest obsession. One of the most enduring, influential and original bands of our time. The scene wouldn't be the same without them. Anyway:

My Favourite Song: "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"
My Favourite Album: [i]At Fillmore East[/i]

Badmoon 07-22-2004 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=keep on phishin']maybe some widespread panic the bassist is amazing and i love his work. dunno if its in the category as les claypool and everything but definitely worth checking out[/QUOTE]

Yea, he (Dave Schools) also did work with Gov't Mule on Vol. 1 :)

fenderjazzgroove 07-22-2004 07:28 PM

I'd say my favorite jam band would be a little-known band called The Big Wu. They're from Minnesota, but they are known throughout the Midwest, but I don't think that they are very big nationally. Anyways, you can learn a little bit about them at their website: [url]www.thebigwu.com[/url]. . . I love their music and I hope that sometime you guys can discover it as well. I'd say my favorite songs are (in no particular order)

Two Person Chair
S.O.S.
Boxing Day
Minnesota Moon
Shantytown
Silcanturnitova

That's not their best songs, those are just my favorite. If you want you can maybe download a couple of their songs, to get a taste of their style. . . to see if you like it. Then if you do you can [if you want] buy their CD[s] from their website. I definitely recommend these guys to anybody who likes really good jam bands.

Badmoon 07-23-2004 04:03 PM

Any of you like Rusted Root?

Vocally, I find them retarded, but instrumentally they're great, and I find them to be just a fabulous Jam Band.

YDload 07-23-2004 04:54 PM

Rusted Root is a local band from the Pittsburgh area. They had one hit with "Send Me On My Way," and I thought nobody but the local stoners still cared about them.

Badmoon 07-23-2004 06:54 PM

Glad to see you know about them.

YDload 07-23-2004 07:02 PM

Oh yeah, they're big around here, even though all they play of them on the radio is "Send Me On My Way," they're still a fun flute-featuring band.

Badmoon 07-23-2004 07:07 PM

I find them more to be based around percussion. But the flute plays a huge role aswell.

Kingadamx 07-23-2004 08:28 PM

I'm Pretty Happy That I'm Going to see 3 Jam Bands This Summer.

Gov't Mule
The Dead
O.A.R.

Anyone else going to any Jam Band concerts this summer?

Badmoon 07-23-2004 08:51 PM

^Sweet :thumb:

Everyone knows that Gov't Mule has a new keyboardist and bassist, right?