Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

fatbandit 05-04-2011 03:58 PM

Just gonna work on the band's songs some more. I don't really get anything from writing unless it's a team effort.

FunkMetalBass 05-04-2011 07:02 PM

I just typed up every theorem and every definition that we've gone over this semester in topology. 10 bloody pages. My goal by the end of the week is to go through each definition, and write down the number of a theorem in which it is used.

So, if anyone wants a .pdf of the topology book + theorems and definitions for the first half of it, let me know.

Convectuoso 05-04-2011 08:39 PM

And the winner of most useless and unwanted PDF in the webiverse goes to!

Jk, luv u Joe.

You know, you're really just Joel minus the L.

That's deep.

gaslight 05-04-2011 08:55 PM

Thanks for the offer but I honestly wouldn't even be able to comprehend a tenth of a page of any of that stuff.

Got new headphones yesterday, absolutely stoked.

I've never owned [i]good[/i] headphones before.

:D

FunkMetalBass 05-04-2011 09:34 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18501095]And the winner of most useless and unwanted PDF in the webiverse goes to!

Jk, luv u Joe.

You know, you're really just Joel minus the L.

That's deep.[/quote]

:lol: It's true. I just get off on this tuff. It's like set theory... on steroids!!! And I'm trying to ignore the fact that my physics final tomorrow has 6 questions and will take us 15-20 hours. :upset:

JOEL - L = JOE
H.O.L.Y. S.H.I.T. That's fucking deeeeeep.

Gassy, what headphones did you get?

gaslight 05-04-2011 10:03 PM

I got Audio-Technica M50s :).

FunkMetalBass 05-04-2011 10:24 PM

[quote=gaslight;18501168]I got Audio-Technica M50s :).[/quote]

Very nice, sir. How do you like them? Do you notice a big difference in audio quality?

gaslight 05-04-2011 10:28 PM

I'm in love with them.

The difference in audio quality is immense, especially when taking audio from a high quality source.

MP3 players don't put out amazing quality, but they still sound good with my old Zen.

The real appreciation of them sets in when I listen to a track through my computer's default player, then open the track in Ableton and listen there, the difference is ridiculous. Worth every cent, they were a great deal for only $200.

Kind of inspired to get a slightly better audio interface now to compliment them but I'm stoked for the time being. My only wishes were a) to be able to listen to music in luxurious quality and b) to be able to more confidently monitor any home recordings I do and they hit home runs with both of those. There's still a few things I'd have to buy on the hardware side to get nicer recordings, but they would just be icing on the cake for my current needs.

Don't tell my wallet what happened.

funkyhoney 05-04-2011 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=gaslight;18501168]I got Audio-Technica M50s :).[/QUOTE]

I got WS70's from Akihabara. Winning.

funkyhoney 05-04-2011 10:35 PM

Yours probably are better than mine anyway. But still, they're good shit.

gaslight 05-04-2011 10:39 PM

I don't know those ones but if they're good they're good.

Convectuoso 05-04-2011 10:40 PM

Those M50's are really highly revered for the price. Good purchase!

Get an Echo Audiofire 8 dude. Your life will change. It's got heaps of I/O, two universal preamps if you wanna record, and a Headphone amp that will outperform anything you have currently.

Or an Apogee Duet if you finally go to Mac.

Or just go Apogee all the way and you will never be the same :)

Convectuoso 05-04-2011 10:52 PM

[quote=FunkMetalBass;18501154]:lol: It's true. I just get off on this tuff. It's like set theory... on steroids!!! And I'm trying to ignore the fact that my physics final tomorrow has 6 questions and will take us 15-20 hours. :upset:

JOEL - L = JOE
H.O.L.Y. S.H.I.T. That's fucking deeeeeep.

Gassy, what headphones did you get?[/quote]
Fucking deep, didn't I tell you!?

I respect someone that's dedicated to something so meaningless and impractical. Just kidding, you'll end up on a higher salary than I will, so I'm just jealous.

Gas, on a scale of 1-10, how metal are you?

And the next question, is Gas the best bassist in the forum, my vote is most probably.

FunkMetalBass 05-04-2011 11:07 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18501224]Fucking deep, didn't I tell you!?

I respect someone that's dedicated to something so meaningless and impractical. Just kidding, you'll end up on a higher salary than I will, so I'm just jealous.

Gas, on a scale of 1-10, how metal are you?

And the next question, is Gas the best bassist in the forum, my vote is most probably.[/quote]

It's hard to say what I'll be making, because I don't know what I want to do with my degree. However, given that you probably want to work in the music industry, it's probably a fair assumption. Haha.

"What's the best way to become a millionaire? Start off as a billionaire and open a recording studio." :lol:

I just sold my old 6U rack case, so with the other $15 that I have coming in, I'm able to afford an Audiofire2, and that's what I'll probably purchase this weekend. It'll be nice to start recording again - I have a bunch of stuff I want to lay down.

If HaVIC were still here, he'd get my vote. Otherwise, I'd probably give it to Ben or Chris. It's kind of a tossup there.

Convectuoso 05-04-2011 11:31 PM

Dude the 1 of 2 biggest studios in NZ is funded by a software developer as a tax write off. You do the math!

I shall upload new gear soon to drool over or castrate. You shall choose the outcome!

FunkMetalBass 05-04-2011 11:34 PM

Well, castration doesn't do me any good now that my voice is lowered, so the potential for eunuch-hood is long past. Drool it is.

Convectuoso 05-05-2011 12:08 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18501271]Well, castration doesn't do me any good now that my voice is lowered, so the potential for eunuch-hood is long past. Drool it is.[/QUOTE]

[URL]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590220[/URL]

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 12:50 AM

I just bottled my orange-clove mead because I was bored and it needed to be done. I also just bored a big glass of mead + sprite. It tastes like ginger ale and is incredibly tasty. The mead by itself is very rich and complex. It's hard for me to peg whether or not I like it.

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 12:55 AM

[quote=Convectuoso;18501300][url]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590220[/url][/quote]

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have a clue about what to do with all that. That rivals my bass rig in complexity.

funkyhoney 05-05-2011 01:48 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18501329]I'll be honest, I wouldn't have a clue about what to do with all that. That rivals my bass rig in complexity.[/QUOTE]

Your profile thingo, arrests orientated, winning!

Convectuoso 05-05-2011 02:22 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18501326]I just bottled my orange-clove mead because I was bored and it needed to be done. I also just bored a big glass of mead + sprite. It tastes like ginger ale and is incredibly tasty. The mead by itself is very rich and complex. It's hard for me to peg whether or not I like it.[/QUOTE]
We bought a bottle of Tanqueray gin and some Gordons today, lets just say the Tank is the superior of the drops. Good times.

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 03:21 AM

Oh hell yeah! I love Tanqueray! It's probably my favorite gin. Very smooth, very clean. I also like Magellan as well. It's a bit harder to find, and has fairly prominent pine/juniper nodes, but it's amazing as well.

Do you mix with tonic and a lime?

gaslight 05-05-2011 03:50 AM

Havic is far and away the best bassist on this forum, technical ability + sight reading + theory he's a gun at everything.

Everyone else it's a bit of a toss-up with different specialties, Havic is the first horse in the race by far and I think a bunch of the rest of us are in a close pack. I wouldn't say I'm much better than anyone else here, I'm pretty good but I'm not Havic good and if you're not Havic good then you're just in a gray area with a bunch of other people. Let's call the rest of us equal second :p.

As far how metal I am, honestly, not very. I'd say I'd be under 5/10 on a metal scale.

If you want to give me like, some guidelines as to what the metal scale operates on that would be really funny and I'd enjoy that :lol:. Seriously though wouldn't give myself any metal cred at all.

Convectuoso 05-05-2011 04:56 AM

[quote=FunkMetalBass;18501427]Oh hell yeah! I love Tanqueray! It's probably my favorite gin. Very smooth, very clean. I also like Magellan as well. It's a bit harder to find, and has fairly prominent pine/juniper nodes, but it's amazing as well.

Do you mix with tonic and a lime?[/quote]
I haven't had Magellian, in fact I haven't seen it here. :(

But man, I did a sniff test between the Tank and Gordon's. The Tank had so much more texture to it. By comparison the Gordon's just smelt like ethanol. But it is about $13 cheaper here.

We bought a bunch of Tonic on special then instead of buying lemons or limes just got a bottle of lemon juice (99.9%) and used that. Much more economical and easier. Instead of getting all messy with squeezing a lemon you just add a few drops and it's awesome.

Plus lemons are fucking expensive.

Gas: I'm just giving you shit about your hair, I know you're not metal at all, but you're a legit bassist.

fatbandit 05-05-2011 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18501230]If HaVIC were still here, he'd get my vote. Otherwise, I'd probably give it to Ben [B]or Chris[/B]. It's kind of a tossup there.[/QUOTE]
Ego +1, but wrong.

fatbandit 05-05-2011 08:17 AM

Infact, if we're going so far as to include Havic, then there's also a slew of other people who are head and shoulders above where I am. Mr Coffeekiller, sheephead, quatre07, roee_co and a bunch more that I forget. Then tbh, raayl's way better than I think most of us give him credit for :p But yeah, I'm not really that good. I just have expensive shit.

gaslight 05-05-2011 09:44 AM

The important question is, how metal is Joel?

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 10:01 AM

[quote=fatbandit;18501552]Infact, if we're going so far as to include Havic, then there's also a slew of other people who are head and shoulders above where I am. Mr Coffeekiller, sheephead, quatre07, roee_co and a bunch more that I forget. Then tbh, raayl's way better than I think most of us give him credit for :p But yeah, I'm not really that good. I just have expensive shit.[/quote]

Yeah, that's true, that is an impressive group.

I feel like I fall into the same category - decent, but not great, and nice gear. :lol:

It's hard to say how good of a bassist Raayl is because he's much more concerned with composition than the bass itself. I've never heard an un-creative, sloppy bassline come from the guy, so that is a testament to his role as a bassist - completely solid, original, and functional.

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 10:02 AM

[quote=gaslight;18501599]The important question is, how metal is Joel?[/quote]

Well, there's a lack of X's and Z's in his name, so he's probably not a 10.
And since he's just a one-letter extension of me, he's probably not a 9 or below a 3 either.

gaslight 05-05-2011 10:29 AM

The New Zealand accent is decidedly not metal.

Though, he is a convectuoso. What is that anyway, someone good at convection?

It's hard to really say what makes someone a good bassist unless you're just filling things on a marking scale, and that falls down because some people aren't interested in certain things (reading and theory being the classic examples). You can only really say, X person is a good/bad bassist measured against Y criteria, but their own goals might be Z criteria.