Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

joshmay 03-10-2009 12:10 PM

where have all the thre-ads gonnne?

sup

FunkMetalBass 03-10-2009 02:48 PM

They lefted when Jeremy decided to temporarily delete our MXican world. :upset:

Spaceman Spiff 03-10-2009 03:23 PM

Well, someone hacked the place and effed it all up, so the forums were closed and cleaned up.

Anyway, my drummer has this Peavey practice amp at his house and, for some reason, I find my guitar to sound just great through it. I think it's Envoy 110.

BenJammin 03-10-2009 03:46 PM

I've decided not to sell my cab for a lighter one on account of I love how it sounds way too much and don't want to go to the effort of finding a smaller one that sounds like it.

Spaceman Spiff 03-10-2009 03:52 PM

If you like the sound you're getting from your gear, there's not much reason to trade in for something else.

My Vox is about 70 pounds and I'm always carrying it up and down big flights of stairs, but it's a wicked amp.

FunkMetalBass 03-10-2009 04:16 PM

Agreed ^

I hate carrying my 80+ lb head and rack around, but it sounds too good to sell off parts of it.

I need to invest in a little luggage dolly.

FunkMetalBass 03-10-2009 04:18 PM

So, is it a good idea to have this set-up?

DI -> compressor -> soundcard

Or should I put the compressor in my FX loop?

BenJammin 03-10-2009 04:28 PM

Damned if I know. I compress through GarageBand, so I just go from my interface to my program.

FunkMetalBass 03-10-2009 04:32 PM

I don't use any effects, so it might just be worth it to compress in the loop and use my head's DI; I'm sure it wont make any discernable difference.

If I do use effects though, should I compress before or after? Or both? Any suggestions?

BenJammin 03-10-2009 04:33 PM

Hence the "damned if I know" bit. :p

fatbandit 03-10-2009 04:37 PM

Well on my pedalboard I'll always put a compressor last, if that helps. Some people would always put it first though, so don't take my word on it. Basically I like to have a nice compressed sound from my pedalboard sent to either the DI (ugh) or my amp. Others like to have a nice compressed sound to feed their pedals. But I like how my distortions etc react to dynamics far too much for that.

And heavy gear is good and bad. I sold my old VERY heavy valve head and 412 because it was really heavy (the head and cab were both 2 man lifts) and I never turned it above 1 on the volume knob, so I wasn't getting its full potential. Now I have a badass rig and its going to get more badass though, so its all fine ^_^

FunkMetalBass 03-10-2009 04:39 PM

[quote=BenJammin;17111254]Hence the "damned if I know" bit. :p[/quote]

I figured it was worth a shot. I guess it depends on which effects I'm using. Reverb might be worthless if I place it before as the echo will most certainly be affected. Same with delay, although having it loop/delay a phrase at the same volume might be pretty cool.

I can't imagine it would make much of a difference with distortion or overdrive as that compresses anyways.

Chorus, Phasing, and Flange I'll just have to experiment with, I guess.

Thanks for your help, Ben! rep'd

FunkMetalBass 03-10-2009 04:44 PM

[quote=fatbandit;17111265]Well on my pedalboard I'll always put a compressor last, if that helps. Some people would always put it first though, so don't take my word on it. Basically I like to have a nice compressed sound from my pedalboard sent to either the DI (ugh) or my amp. Others like to have a nice compressed sound to feed their pedals. But I like how my distortions etc react to dynamics far too much for that.[/quote]

Right, that's what I have to consider - effects that are affected by dynamics. I use some chorus occasionally and distortion occasionally. I think I'll just put it at the end of my loop.

I have stereo compression capabilities, so that's pretty cool. I could probably mess with the chorus a bit by compressing each channel differently.

FunkMetalBass 03-10-2009 05:07 PM

So, what is everybody up to today, aside from not selling gear?

Spaceman Spiff 03-10-2009 05:13 PM

I was at work... just like every day. :upset:

My life is being robbed from me.

I did start reading The Divine Comedy, though. I'm nearing the end of the Inferno.

Spaceman Spiff 03-10-2009 05:29 PM

Anyone watch the Jon Dore Show? It's absolutely hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tanHM28inD8

fatbandit 03-10-2009 07:01 PM

Well placing a compressor after a delay won't make it loop/delay at the same volume. And depending on the threshold of the compressor, even putting it first in the chain can sitll allow a lot of dynamics through to some pedals like overdrives.

The best thing you can do is try things in different orders until you find something you like :)

BenJammin 03-10-2009 08:59 PM

Inferno is the best part, Spiff. Purgatorio isn't too bad, but you'll probably find Paradiso a bit/lot boring. Also, I hope you have an annotated version of it, because otherwise, you're going to find it a pain to read.

Spaceman Spiff 03-10-2009 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17111687]Inferno is the best part, Spiff. Purgatorio isn't too bad, but you'll probably find Paradiso a bit/lot boring. Also, I hope you have an annotated version of it, because otherwise, you're going to find it a pain to read.[/QUOTE]

Each canto is summarized at the beginning of it and has tons of end notes. Everything is fully explained that would, otherwise, be gibberish. It makes it infinitely easier to read and understand.

BenJammin 03-10-2009 09:18 PM

Excellent. It's really the only way to get through Dante, sadly. :lol: Although it's nice to know all of the extra stuff.

Spaceman Spiff 03-10-2009 09:22 PM

I don't read all the notes, I must say. I do check a lot of them, but sometimes it's just tedious and doesn't really add or subtract anything if you read it or not.

Moon Flavor 03-10-2009 10:02 PM

oh hey 3rd page guys impressive

Sablate McNuff 03-10-2009 11:11 PM

[quote=fatbandit;17111519]Well placing a compressor after a delay won't make it loop/delay at the same volume. And depending on the threshold of the compressor, even putting it first in the chain can sitll allow a lot of dynamics through to some pedals like overdrives.

The best thing you can do is try things in different orders until you find something you like :)[/quote]

I was going with these configurations based on the presumption that the compressor would be set at its maximum point - having every audible note be exactly the same volume.

fatbandit 03-11-2009 03:33 AM

Want absolute equal volume/velocity? Use MIDI.

Most compressors with all settings on full are noise central.

funkyhoney 03-11-2009 05:58 AM

Well I read Beowulf, yaaaaaaaay.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

I_WEAR_RED_PANTS 03-11-2009 06:24 AM

[QUOTE=funkyhoney;17112194]Well I read Beowulf, yaaaaaaaay.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.[/QUOTE]

how was it compared to the movie?

i liked the movie.

Sablate McNuff 03-11-2009 07:46 AM

Scott Baiowulf?

Sorry, pop tv reference.

BenJammin 03-11-2009 03:09 PM

Sup bitches?

Spaceman Spiff 03-11-2009 03:23 PM

I just bought COD4. Pwn.

BenJammin 03-11-2009 03:24 PM

I hate the CoD games, but 4 is pretty decent.