Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

MassaHuang 10-07-2004 05:04 PM

oh no!!!

I Forgot the... [SIZE=7]Sugarman 3[/SIZE]

MassaHuang 10-07-2004 05:06 PM

Furthermore; as I seem to keep forgetting what more I want to say....

Any song/album from the Arista Era of The Grateful Dead has a great funk twist and a very respectable sound that any funk lover can enjoy

big 10-29-2004 01:14 PM

[B] jaco pastorius

a wise word would be to get his self titled album or punk jazz his double disc cd. Unfortunately he was killed outside a club in the late eighties by a bouncer who knocked **** out of him but anyway check out others by the weather report he was in that aswell

PhatPhishPhan 10-29-2004 09:42 PM

GALACTIC!!! - funk

album: crazyhorse mongoose

and

Medeski, Martin, & Wood (MMW) - jazz/funk

pedro durruti 10-30-2004 11:06 PM

Can anyone with soulseek and lots of Jazz give me their names and some albums to download? I'm a big ska fan so I love the sound of brass, and I just listened to all the samples on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and they're great. Anything similar to him and just good beginning jazz recommendations would be awesome.

Hmmm nevermind I just read introduction to jazz, but still if anyone has soulseek please tell me your name

strwdle 11-02-2004 01:51 PM

Can anyone recommend me some good funk tunes to learn on guitar. I've nailed Azwethinkweiz, Deep Inside and Hilikus by Incubus. Sink beneath the line is hard, can anyone recommend anything similar? By the way, does anyone know where influences for songs like Azwethinkweiz came from?

Zappa 11-07-2004 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=ihatecelebrities]Can anyone with soulseek and lots of Jazz give me their names and some albums to download? I'm a big ska fan so I love the sound of brass, and I just listened to all the samples on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and they're great. Anything similar to him and just good beginning jazz recommendations would be awesome.

Hmmm nevermind I just read introduction to jazz, but still if anyone has soulseek please tell me your name[/QUOTE]

I have over 250 jazz and fusion albums shared on my soulseek account:

Alex27782

Zappa 11-13-2004 04:59 PM

[SIZE=5]Rahsaan Roland Kirk[/SIZE]
Hard-bop, post-bop
Multi-instrumentalist (tenor sax, stritch, manzello, flute, clarinet, percussion, nose flute)

Recommended songs:

Pedal Up
Prelude to a Kiss
Bright Moments Song
Dem Red Beans and Rice
The Black and Crazy Blues
The Inflated Tear
The Creole Love Call

Recommended albums:

Bright Moments
The Inflated Tear
Blacknuss
Kirk's Work
Rip, Rig, and Panic

Timpsetguy 11-17-2004 11:50 PM

Favorite funk band

My favorite funk band is actually a local group from where I go to college. They're called the Organ Donors. They're a keyboard (hence "Organ Donors") dominated group that combines slappin' bass, funky drum grooves, screamin' electric guitar, and turntables with the keyboards.
you guys should check 'em out at
[URL=http://www.purevolume.com/organdonors]www.purevolume.com/organdonors[/URL]

AfroMan 11-22-2004 11:10 AM

[SIZE=5][B]Tower Of Power[/B][/SIZE]
[B]Funk/Soul[/B]

[B]Songs[/B]
What is Hip?
Funk the Dumb Stuff
Your Still A Young Man
Doin' Alright
You Got To Funkifize
Soul Vaccination
Down To the Nightclub

[B]Albums[/B]
Tower of Power
Back To Oakland
Urban Renewal

downtowndan 11-28-2004 07:15 PM

Andy Bey
Pianist/Vocalist

Recommended Album:
Ballads Blues and Bey

Recommended Songs:
You'd be So Nice To Come Home To
In a Sentimental Mood

Comments:
Just Andy and his piano, his voice is haunting in this release.

DrFeelgood462 12-05-2004 10:18 PM

I'm looking for guitar oriented material, any suggestions for me?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the appropriate thread.

dalla 12-09-2004 05:15 PM

Funkadelic have some awesome tracks.

beatstock 12-13-2004 09:41 PM

Umphrey's Mcgee is the best jass you can listen to nyukassss!

vidsizler 12-13-2004 10:16 PM

Hey I've just gotten into jazz recently and I prefer Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck, that kinda style. I just want to know what other artist are recomended for that style. Thanks

mutant! 12-16-2004 09:56 AM

Local bands rule!

[U]Bed On Bricks[/U]
Mike: Lead Vocals & Tenor Sax
Barefoot Dave: Backing vox & guitar
Schalk van der Merwe: Backing vox & bass
Tim Rankin: Drums & perc

They have only one album out yet: Humanarium. The tracks "Humanarium" and "City" are available for download from [url]http://www.samp3.com[/url].

funkydrummer27 12-17-2004 01:46 AM

my favorites

i thought i'd post some lesser known (but amazing!!) albums here

fly - fly
a sick chordless jazz trio...mark turner on alto, larry grenadier on bass, and jeff ballard on drums. this is really exploratory jazz, sometimes with a funky/worldbeat feel. "fly mr. freakjar" is goood.

scott amendola band - cry
this is one of my favorite albums, full of jazz, folk, avante-garde, african, fusion, funk, influences. scott is also one of my favorite drummers-he's played with charlie hunter along with countless others. check out the track "a cry for john brown" or, the very relevant bob dylan cover, "masters of war." BUY THIS ALBUM!!!

john coltrane - crescent
i only recently got this album, and it's already one of my favorite coltrane recordings. it was recorded the same year as a love supreme, but it's so different in character. just as spiritual, crescent is more somber and introspective in nature. the record is amazing played all the way through.

paul motian trio - trioism
paul motian-drums, joe lovano-tenor, bill frisell-guitar. the interplay between musicians is outrageous. "it should've happened a long time ago" is such a druggy song, with a beautiful melody.

t. j. kirk - if four was one
this uber funky band only covers thelonious monk, james brown, and roland kirk tunes...hence their name. scott amendola (above) is on this album, and lays down incredibly funky grooves, along with charlie hunter, who plays an 8 string guitar (he plays guitar and bass lines at the same time, there is no other bass player in the band). the other two guitarists, john schott and will bernard are also amazing. good stuff!

other albums i really like:
cuong vu - bound (trumpeter played with pat metheny-completely unique sound)
tin hat trio - rodeo eroded (chamber/jazz/folk/avante trio...willie nelson's on one track!)
will bernard - motherbug (so funky!)
nels cline singers - instumentals (nels cline is a guitar god! this album is so ridiculous)
medeski martin and wood - anything (i love these guys)

most of these albums can be previewed at the itunes music store, so you can hear clips of them for free...some of them are also on emusic.com....check them out

peace!

24hourstogoJ 12-31-2004 05:08 PM

Duke elington's the man!

Jar-Of-Mice 01-01-2005 01:12 AM

I figure, maybe I'll put some Contemp. Jazz up here. Anyone aver hear of Gordon Goodwin?

Check out Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

Songs to check out:
Hunting Wabbits (experimental)
The Jazz Police (Jazz Rock)
Swingin' for the Fences (Swing)
Sing Sang Sung (swing)
Samba Del Gringo (samba)
Mueva Los Huesos (Latin Jazz)
Horn of Puente (Latin Jazz)

Albums:
Swingin' for the Fences
XXL

This is a great band to listen to for melodic genius, both in the written parts, and the solo-ing as well. Have Fun.

JOM

Alessandro 01-02-2005 08:58 PM

Does anyone know the name of the Kill Bill theme song? Who´s playing it?

TowerOfHendrix 01-03-2005 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=Jar-Of-Mice]I figure, maybe I'll put some Contemp. Jazz up here. Anyone aver hear of Gordon Goodwin?

Check out Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

Songs to check out:
Hunting Wabbits (experimental)
The Jazz Police (Jazz Rock)
Swingin' for the Fences (Swing)
Sing Sang Sung (swing)
Samba Del Gringo (samba)
Mueva Los Huesos (Latin Jazz)
Horn of Puente (Latin Jazz)

Albums:
Swingin' for the Fences
XXL

This is a great band to listen to for melodic genius, both in the written parts, and the solo-ing as well. Have Fun.

JOM[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, The BPB plays some of the hardest charts, and I would know, i've played 5 of the songs mentioned above on lead trumpet and they are hard. Also, for those of you looking for a jazzier type of funk, look to Tower of Power.
I recommend getting:
Oakland Stroke
Soul with a Capital "S"

They are a very talented band and have an amazing horn section.

AndyEdwardsMusic.com 01-04-2005 07:27 PM

If you like funky electric jazz and have the time please check out my band...

[url]http://www.andyedwardsmusic.com/band.htm[/url]

and video here

[url]http://www.andyedwardsmusic.com/video.htm[/url]

thanks.

Massik Kretal 01-08-2005 07:15 PM

What are some good jazz songs with a deep bassline, like hit the road jack. do u no what i mean? like very dark but very swing songs?

Woodstock 01-08-2005 08:20 PM

I need some good big band songs. Stuff like Count Basie.

BIG AL 01-21-2005 09:37 AM

for me personal taste , best players number 1 jazz player in the world= george benson
best funk band off all time earth wind and fire guitar player al mckay , and scottish band, average white band, they where awesome ....

those are my guitar heros....

ollivubumssheep 01-25-2005 05:52 AM

James brown is so talented he totally changed music!!! Also Ray Charles is most cetainly the genius, ny12 seen that nu film about his life?

bassplayer142 01-25-2005 12:13 PM

my influences in funk and jazz go a long way. mainly in funk i stick to the older stuff like the red hot chili peppers who are rock/funk, bootsy collins the god of space bass, parliment funkadelic with george cliton, earth wind and fire, tower of power, defunkt... in jazz i listen to jaco pastorius from weather report and word of mouth, stanley clark, micheal manring... there are many great bass players you just have to find them

Kazass 01-25-2005 02:00 PM

Booker T and the MGs - Green Onions (blues) EVERYONE KNOWS THIS ONE!
Charles Wright - "Express yourself" or anything else (old funk)
Sir Joe Quarterman & Free soul - "So much trouble in my mind" and others (old funk)
Billy Cobham - try some stuff
Dave Weckl - all the songs (the ones with his band)
Maceo & The Macks - "Soul Power 74" and others
War - had some good stuff too
Ray Charles - buy his new duets album ("Fever" is a great song)
Dave Brubeck - "Take Five" and many others
Doobie Brothers - "Long train runnin'" (not exactly funk, but a great song nonetheless, sure everyone knows it)
Glen Miller - lol nice big band stuff ("In the mood")
Herbie Hancock - everything (probably already said)
Maceo Parker - "In Time" and everything else is great too
Oliver Cheatham - "Get down saturday night" (80's funk)

LOL that's a pretty big list, hope you like it
(GET THE FIRST SONG IMMEDIATLY!! I'M SURE NOBODY HAS HEARD OF THEM B4 BUT YOU SURE KNOW THE SONG!!)

itskub 01-28-2005 08:01 PM

does anyone know the name of that hip hop - funk band.. i forget the name.. its something like AK 49 ?

anyone know???

somecallmeian 01-30-2005 08:23 PM

I've really gotten into funk lately, and I was hoping to list some artists but everyone beat me to them. My radio station on launch has shown me some cool funk artists, and I think because I gain nothing for it it'll be cool to put the address on here.

[url]http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1568046890[/url]

My station has other music I like on it, but there is one mood which is Funk and old motown stuff only.