Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 11:59 AM

[quote=gaslight;18501631]The New Zealand accent is decidedly not metal.

Though, he is a convectuoso. What is that anyway, someone good at convection?

It's hard to really say what makes someone a good bassist unless you're just filling things on a marking scale, and that falls down because some people aren't interested in certain things (reading and theory being the classic examples). You can only really say, X person is a good/bad bassist measured against Y criteria, but their own goals might be Z criteria.[/quote]

Then there own goals are wrong. Conform, or be considered shitty.

And convectuoso is a Glassjaw song, although thinking of him as a convection oven is considerably more humorous. "Pre-heat Joel to 450 and bake on center rack for 25 minutes, or until golden brown." :lol:

Convectuoso 05-05-2011 01:57 PM

I'm a virtuoso at the art of convection, yes, how much more metal can one get?

I kinda go through phases of not giving a shit about bass and see it as purely functional and then I have moments where I'm like man, bass is awesome.

And :lol: Don't even get me started on Australian accent.

We watched I Am Number Four this morning and one of the main characters has an australian accent. You don't hear her speak until 3/4 of the way through the movie. And after listening to Americans for an hour it just sounds ridiculous!

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 02:57 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18501746]
We watched I Am Number Four this morning and one of the main characters has an australian accent. You don't hear her speak until 3/4 of the way through the movie. And after listening to Americans for an hour it just sounds ridiculous![/quote]

I felt similarly when I watched through the first 4 seasons of Peep Show (it's a British comedy, if you haven't heard of it). After that, I had dinner with my parents and was thrown off by the ridiculous, unfamiliar American laccent.

fatbandit 05-05-2011 03:09 PM

I LOVE PEEP SHOW.

And I remember raayl's old videos of him doing solo tapping and stuff. He shreds. Whether he looks back on it proudly, I don't know. But still. Better than my efforts at the same stuff would have been.

FunkMetalBass 05-05-2011 04:25 PM

[quote=fatbandit;18501797]I LOVE PEEP SHOW.[/quote]

I do too. I'm not so much a fan of The Mitchell and Webb Look. It's a completely different style of show, though, so it's not a direct comparison, but fake laugh tracks are just not okay.

fatbandit 05-05-2011 06:07 PM

I used to religiously watch that mitchell and webb look. it was kind of hit and miss, but when it was good, it was awesome. but i didn't like the second series at all. if you like that kind of offbeat brit humour though, you should check out stuff like black books. and green wing.

BenJammin 05-05-2011 06:35 PM

You guys are funny. I'm garbage at the bass. I'm a better composer than I am player.

BenJammin 05-05-2011 06:39 PM

Also: Tanqueray 10 has become my 'go to' gin, although it is expensive, but it gets the job done smoothly and efficiently. I also don't mind Hendricks, but I've only had a bit of it, and will require a full quart of it in my stomach in order to reach a final verdict.

A bottle I'm working through now is Citadelle:

[img]http://www.odomcorp.com/ecom_img/original-1324-1589-citadelle.jpg[/img]

Which is pretty good, given that its price point is $14 less a bottle than the Tanqueray 10. The flavor isn't as good, though. I find it a bit too bland.

gaslight 05-05-2011 09:52 PM

Peep Show is my favourite sitcom of the last ten years.

FunkMetalBass 05-06-2011 07:09 AM

This physics final is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done. I had to completely re-teach myself RLC circuits last night because my old physics book never really approached much from a calculus standpoint and I didn't ever really pay attention to RLC circuits anyway. Starting hour 8...

gaslight 05-06-2011 08:15 AM

Navy Seals training includes a continuous 120 hour session, and they're all physicists unless NCIS is lying to us.

FunkMetalBass 05-06-2011 09:26 AM

[quote=gaslight;18502436]Navy Seals training includes a continuous 120 hour session, and they're all physicists unless NCIS is lying to us.[/quote]

NCIS gets everything right, always.

Relevant:
[url]http://www.cracked.com/article_19160_8-scenes-that-prove-hollywood-doesnt-get-technology.html[/url]

gaslight 05-06-2011 09:31 AM

Gotta love Cracked. May not always be the best quality and they tend to steal a fair bit of material but who cares, something new to be amused at almost every day, and it doesn't cost one red cent.

FunkMetalBass 05-06-2011 09:55 AM

[quote=gaslight;18502462]Gotta love Cracked. May not always be the best quality and they tend to steal a fair bit of material but who cares, something new to be amused at almost every day, and it doesn't cost one red cent.[/quote]

Or a copper cent, if you live in America.

I like their numbered articles. They always have great commentary and damn-accurate, factual information. I read it every day and always find myself learning something new.

gaslight 05-06-2011 10:07 AM

Yeah, one of my favourite things is that vibe it has of [i]the truth behind X thing[/i], it's a great formula they've got.

Convectuoso 05-07-2011 12:19 AM

Btw we had a tornado in our city last week, thanks for fuckin' asking guys.

But srsly, it was no where near where I live, but only like a 20 minutes drive with no traffic. And it killed one dude. Came out of nowhere and fucked shit up.

FunkMetalBass 05-07-2011 12:27 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18503095]Btw we had a tornado in our city last week, thanks for fuckin' asking guys.

But srsly, it was no where near where I live, but only like a 20 minutes drive with no traffic. And it killed one dude. Came out of nowhere and fucked shit up.[/quote]

It didn't appear on the front page of any of the major news sites up here (I just did a broad search of CNN, MSNBC, and Fox). I think more than one dude has to die for the US to care, or something.

Did you see it? Were you scared shitless?

fatbandit 05-07-2011 06:06 PM

Dilemma. Going to be getting the Pod HD500, and pairing it with a power amp. But do I run it with a Mesa Strategy, or a Powersoft power amp? Both came up recently in the same kind of price range second hand, and I can only afford one. The Mesa is heavier and bulkier, I won't use half the valves in it (it's stereo, and I'll be running a single channel), but it is valvey. But the Powersoft is reeeeally light cuz its class D, 1u high and still 1000w per side at 4 ohms. Could also add any 1u preamp I wanted into a 2u rack, permanently plugged into channel 2 as a backup pre if I needed it, without any real extra bulk or weight. But it won't be adding valve warmth and stuff to the Pod.

I've heard a lot of people say modelling preamps needs a valve power amp to warm it up and make it respond naturally, but I don't know really :/ They're both pretty much top of the heap for valve and SS power amps.

BenJammin 05-07-2011 06:21 PM

idk what most of that means

fatbandit 05-07-2011 06:24 PM

Basically:

Lightweight, convenient, relatively compact.

or....

Valves.

gaslight 05-07-2011 08:02 PM

I wouldn't trust a Line 6 head.

fatbandit 05-07-2011 08:31 PM

It would only be a Line 6 preamp and effects. Considering I use Line 6 effects already, it doesn't seem a massive leap to me.

FunkMetalBass 05-08-2011 01:59 AM

[quote=fatbandit;18503548]Dilemma. Going to be getting the Pod HD500, and pairing it with a power amp. But do I run it with a Mesa Strategy, or a Powersoft power amp? Both came up recently in the same kind of price range second hand, and I can only afford one. The Mesa is heavier and bulkier, I won't use half the valves in it (it's stereo, and I'll be running a single channel), but it is valvey. But the Powersoft is reeeeally light cuz its class D, 1u high and still 1000w per side at 4 ohms. Could also add any 1u preamp I wanted into a 2u rack, permanently plugged into channel 2 as a backup pre if I needed it, without any real extra bulk or weight. But it won't be adding valve warmth and stuff to the Pod.

I've heard a lot of people say modelling preamps needs a valve power amp to warm it up and make it respond naturally, but I don't know really :/ They're both pretty much top of the heap for valve and SS power amps.[/quote]

I'd definitely rock the Powersoft. In my opinion, if you're going to split them up, go for a nice preamp (possibly one with a tube gain stage), and a clean, quiet, powerful power amp.

Also, IT'S 1000W PER CHANNEL AT 1U!

There's a guy on Talkbass who has been building a sexy 1U tube pre that I'm really interested in. He's located in the states, and I don't know what his cost is, but it sounds amazing. Here's the thread link:
[url]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/jgrs-custom-built-rock-bass-tube-preamp-done-709019/[/url]

fatbandit 05-08-2011 07:10 AM

I've wanted the Powersoft amp for years - they're like £1700 retail though for that model D: But they kind of seemed redundant when I went down the valve route. I'm just worried about it sounding artificial through a SS power amp mainly. It's what I'm leaning towards though.

gaslight 05-08-2011 07:14 AM

SS power amps are okay, solid state power amp in my AG500 and that baby is molten.

fatbandit 05-08-2011 01:25 PM

I think I'll go for it. Pretty excited actually. That's sad haha.

FunkMetalBass 05-08-2011 10:10 PM

[quote=fatbandit;18503902]I've wanted the Powersoft amp for years - they're like £1700 retail though for that model D: But they kind of seemed redundant when I went down the valve route. I'm just worried about it sounding artificial through a SS power amp mainly. It's what I'm leaning towards though.[/quote]

I don't think it'll sound "artificial" at all. Granted, it wont have the warm tube sound that you're used to with your MatAmp, but you might even appreciate the clear signal when using your Line 6 - you'll hear exactly what you EQ.

And seriously, that much power + portability and at only 2U? Golden.

Convectuoso 05-09-2011 12:21 AM

Sorry to state the obvious, why don't you just test them next to other.

If it was up to me, tubes all the way. I'm sorry but tubes rule.

gaslight 05-09-2011 12:35 AM

Tubes are great but tube equipment is heavier and more expensive than solid state equipment and takes up more room too.

If you're setting up a studio, tubes all the way, but if you've got to haul your rig around all the time, fuck that shit.

funkyhoney 05-09-2011 04:12 AM

[QUOTE=gaslight;18504365]Tubes are great but tube equipment is heavier and more expensive than solid state equipment and takes up more room too.

If you're setting up a studio, tubes all the way, but if you've got to haul your rig around all the time, fuck that shit.[/QUOTE]

VALVES WHICH CONTAIN INERT GAS WEIGH MORE THAN SOLID MATERIALS?! OMIGOSHTHATSCOOL.

/most likely technically incorrect.