Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Is Dream Theater overrated? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619832)

SugarCoatedSour 03-29-2013 03:54 PM

Gordian KNot

Mardy 03-29-2013 04:00 PM

Gordian Knot is really good

Jeffs Carrot 03-29-2013 06:39 PM

Gordian Knot is pretty awesome

Det_Nosnip 03-29-2013 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=Mardy;19022198]prob the most technical music I've ever heard together with spastic ink, it's fun to listen to

spiral architect
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYp-vjR5Cs[/URL]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp9qMqQiEj4[/URL]

spastic ink
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WjdpG7e2zg[/URL][/QUOTE]

TBH I never found Spiral all that overwhelming...they're just kinda busy.

Meshuggah remains the only group that ever gives me pause when it comes to rhythm.

Det_Nosnip 03-29-2013 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=Mardy;19022057]jordan labrie? He's the vocalist, right?
They're all very talented for sure, and they deserve a listen if you play an instrument yourself, as to see what also exists and soforth[/QUOTE]

He's talking about Jordan Ruddess - keyboard player.

Jeffs Carrot 03-29-2013 11:38 PM

I agree

They are almost sensory overload. Incredible players though, tight as can be, and make any time signature seem like 4/4 pop.

Mardy 03-30-2013 11:09 AM

jordan rudess, of course

yeah, it's fun to listen to but there is a but

TheDepravedPelican 03-30-2013 02:15 PM

Yes, I never liked them.

Laetus 03-31-2013 02:24 AM

I think DT serves to prove, that even though you're a talented musician, you can still write a whole lot of shit. Think that's my position on this.

DirtyDan 03-31-2013 10:00 AM

While it is true they are over the top Dream Theater has/had some of the greatest musicians around and can write some extremely great and interesting songs. So I would have to say they are not overrated.

mandan 03-31-2013 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=Laetus;19022687]I think DT serves to prove, that even though you're a talented musician, you can still write a whole lot of shit. Think that's my position on this.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much my view of things, yeah.

SugarCoatedSour 04-01-2013 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=Laetus;19022687]I think DT serves to prove, that even though you're a talented musician, you can still write a whole lot of shit. Think that's my position on this.[/QUOTE]

well, to be a talented musician you also need to have a deep appreciation for music...not simply to wow 11 year olds. Progressive rock is musically restless and unless you have a penchant for decided concept you come off like Dream Theater...which in my mind is equitable to a vibrating block of cheese

mandan 04-03-2013 10:36 AM

Still needs more votes, however there's a pretty clear tendency.

Mardy 04-03-2013 12:11 PM

but really, it's subjective

Laetus 04-04-2013 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=SugarCoatedSour;19022954]well, to be a talented musician you also need to have a deep appreciation for music...not simply to wow 11 year olds. Progressive rock is musically restless and unless you have a penchant for decided concept you come off like Dream Theater...which in my mind is equitable to a vibrating block of cheese[/QUOTE]

Well, I prefer Rush over anything else - they've never disappointed me. They make great stories. Which is really what I want from prog. It must tell a story both lyrical and musical, while at the same time, catering to the theoretical musician in me by being f'ing advanced, and the practical musician, by being f'ing groovy and listenable.

Dream Theater only caters to the theoretical musician inside of me, which is why I find them bland. And if you look past the instrumental side of DT - then we have James LaBrie, and I simply loathe his voice..

I, however, completely agree with you. To be a talented musician you must have a deep appreciation for music.

Laetus 04-04-2013 07:15 AM

Oh, and I complete agree with Mardy.. It's subjective - people can agree and disagree, but really, it comes down to personal taste and preferable sound.

SugarCoatedSour 04-04-2013 07:55 AM

irie

CalcNinja 04-10-2013 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Laetus;19023978]Well, I prefer Rush over anything else - they've never disappointed me. They make great stories. Which is really what I want from prog. It must tell a story both lyrical and musical, while at the same time, catering to the theoretical musician in me by being f'ing advanced, and the practical musician, by being f'ing groovy and listenable.

Dream Theater only caters to the theoretical musician inside of me, which is why I find them bland. And if you look past the instrumental side of DT - then we have James LaBrie, and I simply loathe his voice..

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you're talking about something along the lines of concept albums? Have you checked out DT's Octavarium? The only album that no one here has mentioned, yet still goes down as probably their best. From start to finish that album feels as complete as a concept album should.

StJSmythe 04-11-2013 02:58 AM

No I don't think DT is overrated. Maybe sometimes it's more a technical demonstration than songs.
I really like bands like Rush and Symphony X too.

Laetus 04-12-2013 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=CalcNinja;19025745]I'm guessing you're talking about something along the lines of concept albums? Have you checked out DT's Octavarium? The only album that no one here has mentioned, yet still goes down as probably their best. From start to finish that album feels as complete as a concept album should.[/QUOTE]

Octavarium isn't a bad album and I don't disagree with you - but it wouldn't ever come close to standing toe to toe with anything Rush has ever made, in my opinion, of course.

When I say DT serves to prove that you can be a talented musician and still write a whole lot of shit, I'm not refering to everything they've made. If you dive deep enough into their pile of dung - you'll find a couple of diamonds.

CalcNinja 04-13-2013 05:59 PM

I hate how people keep comparing bands just because they were influenced by them. They're not trying to copy whatever who else did but people are always like "Yeah they're ok but this band will never beat so and so." If DT got published before Rush than it'd be "Rush is overrated and DT's the tits, man."

I don't like everything DT has put out but Octavarium is one of favorite albums ever and Myung is fuckin beast.

SugarCoatedSour 04-13-2013 08:39 PM

dream theater is ghey really hard

Laetus 04-14-2013 01:52 AM

[QUOTE=CalcNinja;19026465]I hate how people keep comparing bands just because they were influenced by them. They're not trying to copy whatever who else did but people are always like "Yeah they're ok but this band will never beat so and so." If DT got published before Rush than it'd be "Rush is overrated and DT's the tits, man."

I don't like everything DT has put out but Octavarium is one of favorite albums ever and Myung is fuckin beast.[/QUOTE]

I actually compare them because both bands reside within progressive rock. Quite objectively really, or well, as objective as you can get when talking about music and comparing music.

One of my main problems with a band like DT is the lack of emotion.
It's bi-polar music that only has two moods. Either we're mad and heavy, or sad and squirting cream right into your ears. Where-as I believe Rush has a more fluent range of emotions.

In my opinion - progressive has to make me feel, just as I would want a book or a movie do it. Rush achives it and DT don't.

The skill of the musicians is exceptionally high refering to either band.. Though, if I had to say so myself, then Geddy Lee most certainly is a better bass player.. I mean - complex bass and keyboards patterns while fucking singing vocals with a third melody? Holy shit..

But, I digress.. We are talking about something that's highly subjective. I could go on and on for decades explaining how Rush would kick DT's ass in every way, but it wouldn't mean shit if that's not how you see it.

I just like to write I reckon.. Should've ended by now.

IbanezIke91 04-15-2013 01:39 PM

I think they made it acceptable to put "out-of-the-box" elements in music and have truly pushed experimental approaches to the mainstream. Tons of purely "pop" bands are now labeled as "progressive" sometimes now...it's like they made it "OK".

facupm 04-15-2013 03:33 PM

maybe a little but hell they were influential and pioneers on their genre

SugarCoatedSour 04-15-2013 04:38 PM

they didn't do all that, their a&r did. He was like "hell chief, I'm ()this close to breaking metal into the mainstream, just give me a chance!"
Listen to Watchtower, and bask in your 733t coolness, that's all that is needed here.

TravisWright210 04-18-2013 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Firecracker;19020850]If the credit is given to their newer stuff: yes.
older stuff: hell no[/QUOTE]

what older stuff do you recommend?

TravisWright210 04-18-2013 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=CalcNinja;19026465]I hate how people keep comparing bands just because they were influenced by them. They're not trying to copy whatever who else did but people are always like "Yeah they're ok but this band will never beat so and so." If DT got published before Rush than it'd be "Rush is overrated and DT's the tits, man."

I don't like everything DT has put out but Octavarium is one of favorite albums ever and Myung is fuckin beast.[/QUOTE]

Like.

Up The Irons 04-24-2013 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=Det_Nosnip;19020835]Is the pope Catholic?[/QUOTE]

The pope is Jesuit actually

dante1991 04-25-2013 12:10 PM

Not at all, although they appeal to a niche group...

I don't think DT are over-rated at all. They are one of the biggest "marmite" bands I know though that attract such vast differences in opinion. Their fans are very loyal and follow them religiously, whilst the haters seem almost passionate in their hate at times.

For a band their age though, they still put out very solid material 11 albums in and have never really made a truly "bad" album, despite having weaker attempts, which IMO, is a strong feat. Most bands have at least 1 album below a "3.0" on sput, DT do not.