Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

Zappa 06-23-2006 11:45 PM

[QUOTE=jazzfromhell]Whoa, Rams made a piano list without Art Tatum? Don't mean to be an ***, but come on...Tatum's the king of the piano.[/QUOTE]

To my ears, Tatum and Oscar (who, according to AMG, idolized the former) sound very similar. Oscar has many more recordings, and they're easier to find, with better sound quality, etc.

jazzfromhell 06-24-2006 12:00 AM

Yeah, you can hear Tatum's influence all over Oscar's playing, it's no wonder Oscar idolized him. Oscar's got skillz that killz, but his style basically copied Art's. I like Tatum more, sound isn't that bad (not crystal clear like Oscar's, but still completely listenable). Easiness to find is not a factor for me, whatsoever; I guess it could be for someone just starting out, but if you go to the right places (or just use the internet) you should be able to find plenty of Tatum. Thelonious Monk, who was a huge fan of Tatum, once walked into a club where Peterson was playing and stayed for only a couple minutes before walking right out.

Zappa 06-24-2006 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=jazzfromhell]Yeah, you can hear Tatum's influence all over Oscar's playing, it's no wonder Oscar idolized him. Oscar's got skillz that killz, but his style basically copied Art's. I like Tatum more, sound isn't that bad (not crystal clear like Oscar's, but still completely listenable). Easiness to find is not a factor for me, whatsoever; I guess it could be for someone just starting out, but if you go to the right places (or just use the internet) you should be able to find plenty of Tatum. Thelonious Monk, who was a huge fan of Tatum, once walked into a club where Peterson was playing and stayed for only a couple minutes before walking right out.[/QUOTE]

Well, that was suprisingly defensive. I was just giving possible reasons why one would choose to recommend Oscar over Tatum to a new jazz listener.

jazzfromhell 06-24-2006 12:13 AM

Oh, sorry. I do that some times. Was just stating why I like Tatum over Peterson, as well as some counter-arguments to your reasons. Not trying to start a big argument or anything.

Zappa 06-24-2006 12:26 AM

[QUOTE=jazzfromhell]Oh, sorry. I do that some times. Was just stating why I like Tatum over Peterson, as well as some counter-arguments to your reasons. Not trying to start a big argument or anything.[/QUOTE]

No biggie.

Rams 06-24-2006 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=jazzfromhell]Whoa, Rams made a piano list without Art Tatum? Don't mean to be an ***, but come on...Tatum's the king of the piano.[/QUOTE]

I also didn't have Bud, Eroll Garner, Scott Joplin, or Ahmad Jamal. I don't like making lists with only the most popular names; there's no point in hearing the stuff force fed to you and missing out on all the other stuff simply because someone else claimed it "great".

jazzfromhell 06-24-2006 12:40 PM

Joplin isn't jazz...not by the "focus on improvisation=jazz" definition, anyway. Are you saying Tatum isn't one of your favorites, and that's who you were posting? Or you just didn't want to post a complete list of the "big" names? I don't see why not, it's not like they'll never listen to the rest.

P.S. Zappa, who's in your avatar?

Zappa 06-24-2006 12:50 PM

It's David Byrne. I just took a video of [I]Stop Making Sense[/I] playing on my TV, so you can even see the reflections of my curtains. It's like Talking Heads is playing in my bedroom!

jazzfromhell 06-24-2006 12:54 PM

Haha, yeah. Wish David would play at my house. It's a cool image, though. Need to pick up Stop Making Sense, myself, have only seen it once.

E sharp 06-25-2006 08:02 AM

Hey

i was looking for some jazz songs with some sweet swing and some (hard.. but not too shred hard) guitar leads so i could perform them for my new topic in school. im completely new to jazz and would love any help whatsoever

Joseph India 06-30-2006 01:02 PM

Django Reinhardt might be good for you but it might be too difficult. Most of the solo to Minor Swing is pretty easy. Or maybe Douce Ambience.
You can find good stuff here: [url]http://www.hotclub.co.uk/[/url]
Go to "playing" and download POWERTAB
then use the link below to the page dedicated to Gypsy Jazz Powertab. Check out all the django stuff and listen for what you like.

superjoe 07-19-2006 02:45 PM

thanks to whoever it was that suggested mingus ah um...this stuff is great!

groomits 07-24-2006 11:10 PM

I need some good swing jazz! It would be cool if a girl is singing, I really like Emily Clepper and Barbara Paris. I want other swing jazz!

Edit : I really like the music in the movie Swing Kids. If you know other things that are alike, please tell me.

TonyLim 07-26-2006 03:46 PM

Piano, Guitar and Bass jazz artists reccomendations please...

doofusinternational 07-27-2006 11:48 AM

a recomendd jazz trio album is
[B]bill evans trio: live at the village vangaurd[/B]
the top jazz album ever is
[B]miles davis: kind of blue[/B]
and yeah sombody said mingus but
[B]charles mingus: miungus ah um[/B]
pat metheny is a really good guitarist listen to [B]beyond the missori sky[/B]

can any body recomend some spanish guitar stuff?

Joseph India 07-28-2006 04:33 AM

Spanish Guitar?
This is what you want.
Friday Night in San Francisco - Al DiMeola; John McLaughlin; Paco de Lucía

Buy it !!!!!!!!!!!!! You will love it

bigbadsnowman 07-30-2006 02:21 PM

Does anyone know of any good saxaphone duets? Just two saxaphones playing off each other, or even just a single saxaphone playing.

I have some good piano and saxaphone duet albums, but it would be really cool to hear two saxes.

Zappa 07-30-2006 04:20 PM

Anthony Braxton has an album out called [I]For Alto[/I] that a bunch of solos. I can't recommend it, because I don't like it.

doofusinternational 08-06-2006 07:20 PM

this might be wrong in the wrong place but can somebody recamend some good classical stuff. like solo piano and full ohcestra stuff

Holy War 08-06-2006 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=Zappa]Anthony Braxton has an album out called [I]For Alto[/I] that a bunch of solos. I can't recommend it, because I don't like it.[/QUOTE]
Did you make your avatar youself? Because if you do you undubitably my hero.

rokaholic 08-08-2006 11:07 AM

does anyone know if frank zappa has any other cds that are similar to Hot Rats? i like that cd's instrumental, but i've gotten some other zappa cds and i don't like them, the vocals are so wierd and not for me

Nerdcore753 08-08-2006 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=rokaholic]does anyone know if frank zappa has any other cds that are similar to Hot Rats? i like that cd's instrumental, but i've gotten some other zappa cds and i don't like them, the vocals are so wierd and not for me[/QUOTE]

[I]Uncle Meat, Weasels Ripped My Flesh,[/I] and [I]Waka/Jawaka[/I] are mostly instrumental.

run don't walk 08-10-2006 07:42 PM

What/who should I listen to if my favorite kind of jazz is the New Orleans style?

jazzfromhell 08-10-2006 08:00 PM

[b]Louis Armstrong[/b]
Sidney Bechet
Jelly Roll Morton
Bix Beiderbecke
King Oliver

run don't walk 08-10-2006 09:00 PM

[QUOTE=jazzfromhell][b]Louis Armstrong[/b]
Sidney Bechet
Jelly Roll Morton
Bix Beiderbecke
King Oliver[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the recommendations.:)

moogoogaipan 08-10-2006 09:21 PM

If anyone has heard of Scott Paddock, this guy is really cool.
I downloaded his album off of iTunes (the only place I could find it after looking for 3 1/2 hours), it's called "From Within"

To get a sample, check out this webpage. It's the music playing in the background as soon as the page loads.

[url]http://www.marylanddrum.com/[/url]

some jive turkey 08-11-2006 03:22 AM

if we're talking solo sax, there's a cool version of Brecker doing Naima , by himself,..on the [U]Directions in music[/U] album,..i think it is....with Hancock and Hargrove

musicfilm 08-14-2006 12:23 PM

To check out some great jazz/blues artists that you may not be familiar with, there's a music documentary of a place called Bunkers. I think it's interesting to hear these musicians' stories and see their performances. The movie is called "Bunkers: An American Music Story."
I think you can check it out here: [url]http://www.bunkersmusicstory.com/[/url]

groomits 08-14-2006 11:27 PM

can someone recommed me good swing jazz?

Special Brew 09-06-2006 01:21 PM

What kind of style is the theme from [I]Late Night with Conan O'Brien[/I]? It sounds like something I could really get into, but I don't know where to begin. What are some artists or groups with a similar style?