Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Official Jazz Theory Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116892)

Krabsworth 10-08-2005 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=the untolf]play metal lol jazz is boring[/QUOTE]

Leave.

starless and bible black 10-12-2005 11:10 AM

[QUOTE]play metal lol jazz is boring[/QUOTE]lol mate dont worry we already know your queer.

rulis 10-13-2005 09:26 AM

hello could someone give a list of jazz chords

starless and bible black 10-14-2005 05:00 PM

E7sharp9, dunno if theres any others

theres friggin millions.

pianoplyr77 10-15-2005 08:46 AM

[url]http://www.apassion4jazz.net/chords.html[/url]

The basics with no alterations (#9, b5, etc.)

dhelix33 10-20-2005 10:10 AM

Soprano Sax Theory

I played soprano sax in college. Recently decided to revisit the soprano sax and purchased one a couple months ago - and have been getting used to the horn (as well as allowing the horn to get used to me ;-). Although I put down the sax for years I have been playing the C Flute non-stop. I have rediscovered the transposition factor between C and B flat instruments in this process.

Do you know of a resource that can help me find theory notes and sheet music for this B flat instrument?

Thanks!

dragonzmad 10-30-2005 08:51 PM

can someone explain tritone substitution and give an example of a song or make a few bars that use it

badasspanda 10-31-2005 06:53 PM

II-V-I variations?

In Jazz the most utilized chord progression is the II-V-I, usually incorporating the Minor-Dominant-Major format. My question is can there be any variations to this rule?

spastic 11-01-2005 12:57 AM

[QUOTE=badasspanda]In Jazz the most utilized chord progression is the II-V-I, usually incorporating the Minor-Dominant-Major format. My question is can there be any variations to this rule?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by "rule"? You definitely can mix up the II-V-I, it doesn't have to be minor-dominant-major, though that is the most common. A minor II-V-I usually looks like half-diminished-dominant(b9)-minor(major7). You can pretty much do whatever you want, though.

Diatonic Dissonance™ 11-05-2005 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=dhelix33]I played soprano sax in college. Recently decided to revisit the soprano sax and purchased one a couple months ago - and have been getting used to the horn (as well as allowing the horn to get used to me ;-). Although I put down the sax for years I have been playing the C Flute non-stop. I have rediscovered the transposition factor between C and B flat instruments in this process.

Do you know of a resource that can help me find theory notes and sheet music for this B flat instrument?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
You know, B flat isn't a note for horn players, it's a way of life ;).

/I love you Austin.

pkwiatek0222 11-14-2005 05:18 PM

hey guys im fairly new to this. ive been playing bass for bout a yr and a half, i had a great teacher who taught me a bunch of jaco pastorius, red hot chili peppers n such. im playing bass in a jazz band for school, so im studying the proper approach to jazz bass as well as taking music theory courses in high school. i understood most of the stuff thats in here, n i have to say i appreciate the info. i was wondering, does ne1 suggest any drills so i can better my playing?

thanks

ani_starkiller 11-14-2005 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=Zoroaster]Spastic:

I'm sorry to have to burst your bubble, but your grasp of music theory is as primitive as a rock. You fail to even touch upon the surface of enharmonic intervals; an imperative in jazz, and how it can be interrelated with tritone substitution. I suggest that you comprehend musical theory in its entirety beforehand you elevate yourself to the status of "Theory Guru".

P.S:
I have listened to your 'compositions' and I can only designate them with the term: pretentious. Your music is solely comprised of incoherent and dampening injections whose singular purpose is to impress upon the audience a sense of superiority. That, sir, is the mark of failure.[/QUOTE]

chill out...

ani_starkiller 11-14-2005 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=the untolf]play metal lol jazz is boring[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

ColdShotStrat 11-18-2005 06:00 PM

What scale degrees are the best for tension and release? I know the tonic and dominant notes are best for release but I often end up abusing them and then my phrases start to sound boring. So which notes are the best to build the tension and which will give me the highest tension? So i guess im asking for a chart in a way of the scale degrees starting from least the ones that will give the least tension up to the notes that will create the most.

fingerstyle 11-20-2005 03:35 AM

[QUOTE=pkwiatek0222]hey guys im fairly new to this. ive been playing bass for bout a yr and a half, i had a great teacher who taught me a bunch of jaco pastorius, red hot chili peppers n such. im playing bass in a jazz band for school, so im studying the proper approach to jazz bass as well as taking music theory courses in high school. i understood most of the stuff thats in here, n i have to say i appreciate the info. i was wondering, does ne1 suggest any drills so i can better my playing?

thanks[/QUOTE]

hmmm not sure what you mean by 'drills'.. but meh...

some technical work that has helped me alot in many areas of my jazz playing includes..

-playing chord arpeggios and scales over 2 or more octaves ascending and descending. it helps to get out of that trap that most bass players fall into by just playing within a 'pattern'... this exercise will help you learn the fingerboard so that your improv and walking walking bass is alot more interesting.

-for rhythm and timing, practice playing scales/arpeggios/licks/whatever VERY slowly with a metronone or drum machine (60bpm or less). most people can play competently at mid-tempo, and most can bluff quite well at high speeds, but its quite hard to get your playing absolutley on time when your playing at 35 bpm. working at this skill will improve your ability to anticipate where the beat will fall at 'normal' speeds. in jazz, and especially walking bass it is great to be able to play SLIGHTLY after the beat (not faster, just place the note differntly) toi create that 'driving' feeling you need from walking bass. timing is one of the most inportant aspects of jazz bass.

-ummm im getting bored of writing and ill come back to this later.

rockinbass17 11-24-2005 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=pkwiatek0222]hey guys im fairly new to this. ive been playing bass for bout a yr and a half, i had a great teacher who taught me a bunch of jaco pastorius, red hot chili peppers n such. im playing bass in a jazz band for school, so im studying the proper approach to jazz bass as well as taking music theory courses in high school. i understood most of the stuff thats in here, n i have to say i appreciate the info. i was wondering, does ne1 suggest any drills so i can better my playing?

thanks[/QUOTE]

I have one that I use on my upright. I play the G major scale (starting on open G going all the way up on the G string), putting two open D's and an open A between each degree of the scale, and 1 D after. The excercise is in 3/4, each note being an eight note. The D's land on every upbeat, and each degree of the scale lands on 1 and 3.

1 and 2 and 3 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 1 and 2 and 3 and
G D A D G D A D A D A D B D A D B D
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 2 0

This greatly improved my right hand, thus improving my tone and chops tremendously. I know I didn't explain it very well, but it's a great exercise. It can be used for upright or electric.

EDIT: Goddam it, it isn't lining up right. Ah well, each consecutive beat correspnds to each consecutive note and fingering.

darrell 11-26-2005 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=ani_starkiller]chill out...[/QUOTE]

:lol:

That post was like two years old. I think he's chilled out by now...

dancer4eva 12-02-2005 12:12 AM

hey... i just registerd!! oh guess what!!! i was looking forward to having a flute lesson today (cos i was gonna get some new music off my teacher, beside the fact i had a truely horrible art CRT teaching us at the same time...) and i went there and my Flute teacher was on some camp!! *grrr* so i had to go back to class and the CRT was sooooo mean!!! *double grr!* and i neva ended up getin more music!! :(

dancer4eva 12-02-2005 12:13 AM

anyway, there was a point!! does anyone know where i can find some good flute music that it sort of jazzy??

dancer4eva 12-02-2005 12:16 AM

that is not tooo expensive anways

AmericanWeiner 12-04-2005 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=dancer4eva]anyway, there was a point!! does anyone know where i can find some good flute music that it sort of jazzy??[/QUOTE]

Pick up The Real Book...music is music, regardless of the instrument.

ColdShotStrat 12-13-2005 12:14 AM

How do you identify chord progressions? For example what would the progression of Bb13 Eb13 D7+9 G7 C9 Bb13 F7 Bb13 F7 be? Im talking about the numerical value if you kow wha i mean.

PDWAB 12-13-2005 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=ColdShotStrat]How do you identify chord progressions? For example what would the progression of Bb13 Eb13 D7+9 G7 C9 Bb13 F7 Bb13 F7 be? Im talking about the numerical value if you kow wha i mean.[/QUOTE]

Um, usually you don't. If you know how to notate secondary dominants in figured bass you could, but honestly it's kind of a waste of time in my opinion.

pianoplyr77 12-13-2005 06:19 PM

assuming this song is in Bb, you have to look at the Bb scale

Bb=I(1)
C=ii(2)
D=iii(3)
Eb=iv(4) I can't remember weather this one is minor or dominant
F=V(5)
G=vi(6)
A=vii(7)
Bb=I(1)

All you have to do is find the corresponding number to the chord.

Cm7 F7 Bb7 becomes ii V I (2 5 1)

Upper-case letter are are used as major or dominant, where as lower-case are for minor.

Here is your chord progression: I IV III VI II I V I V

KingOfSka 12-14-2005 10:47 PM

Are there two versions of "When You're Smilin" by Louis Armstrong? I downloaded the song, and it was alot slower than the version I heard. Is there a slow [i]and[/i] a fast version?

I really don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I've never posted in the Jazz & Funk Forum, and I saw no Louis Armstrong or Community Thread, so I decided to ask here.

AmericanWeiner 12-18-2005 08:01 PM

There are probably several versions. That's the nature of Jazz.

Can you tell if its roughly the same song?

F
G
Ab
Bb
C
D
Eb

Eb/Cm, right? What if the root is F?

TooFarGone 12-26-2005 10:51 AM

Any mandolin players? I got a mandolin for christmas, and only know a few scales and chords. Any essential techniques/scales/chords or artists that I should listen to and learn?

Oh, I've played guitar for 2 years, so the mandolin isnt too difficult for me.....yet anyway.

Saxamassima3 01-01-2006 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=dragonzmad]can someone explain tritone substitution and give an example of a song or make a few bars that use it[/QUOTE]

pretty much, all you do is substitute a chord with its tritone.

i.e.

a basic ii-V7-I:
(D)m-(G)7-(C)

the tritone sub would most likely be used over the dominant chord as such:
(D)m-(Db)7-(C)

basically, just replace a chord with a tritone. you could also use the parker cycle, in which case you substitute the chord with its minor third:
(D)m-(Bb)7-(C)

Saxamassima3 01-01-2006 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=ColdShotStrat]What scale degrees are the best for tension and release? I know the tonic and dominant notes are best for release but I often end up abusing them and then my phrases start to sound boring. So which notes are the best to build the tension and which will give me the highest tension? So i guess im asking for a chart in a way of the scale degrees starting from least the ones that will give the least tension up to the notes that will create the most.[/QUOTE]

3 and 7. i don't know the exact chart - look it up.:chug:

Hurricane 01-06-2006 05:34 PM

message to spastic

im guessing that you are getting most of your info from "The Jazz Theory Book" by mark levine published by The Sher Music Co. considering your avatar?