Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

Juddbaby 04-06-2005 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=UncleJam][SIZE=4][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][U][B]Earth, Wind & Fire[/B][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Popular Funk

[B]Recommended Songs[/B]
Saturday Nite
Imagination
Boogie Wonderland
Let's Groove

[B]Recommended Album[/B]
Spirit[/QUOTE]

dude, you forgot their song "shining star" it rules

Also, there are two awesome BEN HARPER songs

Brown Eyed Blues
Bring the Funk

ALBUM
Diamonds on the Inside

Alessandro 04-18-2005 11:45 AM

Can anyone recommend me some good bebop stuff?

Woodstock 04-26-2005 06:43 PM

Looking for some big band/swing music. Preferably from the 30's to the 60's.

Romanticide 04-28-2005 02:54 AM

i just downloaded some of the funk tracks mentioned earlier...
if all funk songs are like that then i could be liking funk...

Muddy Hendrix 04-30-2005 05:16 PM

[B]Wes Montgomery[/B]
[I]Jazz guitar[/I]

[U]Songs[/U]
Four on six
West Coast Blues
Freddie the Freeloader (cover)
Tequila
D-Natural Blues
Impressions

[U]Albums[/U]
The incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
Full House
So Much Guitar!

Huber 04-30-2005 10:27 PM

My friend, he's really into Jazz, showed me a song by a Jazz band and I think they were called the Commodores Big Band. It was pretty cool, it had awesome guitar work in the middle and equally awesome drum material surrounding the whole thing. Can someone recommend me anything else similar or that I might like from that example?

Arlo Aces 05-04-2005 07:41 PM

LAKESIDE

fantastic journey>>>

Only song I know by them.. but it's pretty good

Interstate 05-06-2005 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=Woodstock]Looking for some big band/swing music. Preferably from the 30's to the 60's.[/QUOTE]

try:

Cab Calloway, very talented musician (he was in the Blues Brothers film) - he made music with a big band in the 30's.

songs:

Minnie The Moocher (his most famous, and some say overrated, but I still think its brilliant - the original is better than the remake used in the Blues Brothers film).
Aw you Dog
The Ghost Of Smokey Joe
Kicking The Gong Around
F.D.R Jones
Reefer Man

Fuzzitsu 05-07-2005 12:38 PM

Bebop.
Now, I'm pretty sure that in these times it would be classified as Jazz, any suggestions of bebop songs?

PIGS(1 different one) 05-11-2005 07:21 AM

Could someone upload a few Bop songs for me to hear?

lit_girl11 05-11-2005 04:25 PM

you want some good jazz/funk then you need to be listening to John scofield. no one has **** on him in anyways. he finds the best musicians and he is one of the best guitarists ever. big band is good, and if you want a really good and funky big band song look for Kilimanjaro Cookout by buddy rich and Maynerd Fergusion. the bass line is funky as hell. and as far as funky basses go, look for some marcus miller or victor wooten. its all ridiculous stuff.

jmoney 05-11-2005 07:53 PM

Alright i am a drummer but i dont know which albums have best drummers. What are the best albums for:

Elvin Jones
Max Roach
Art Blakey

gracias everyone

ChinaCatSunflower 05-12-2005 02:51 PM

Anyone who hasn't already should check out John Scofield.

Convectuoso 05-13-2005 05:40 AM

I love Sink Beneath the line by Incubus and I was wondering if you could recommend any songs in that funky style that I like ever so much? :)

Anxious 05-13-2005 06:58 PM

Ok whats a good funk band, one with the best bassist you can think of, and is not totaly unknown.

BluBreeze 05-18-2005 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=ib_guitar]any more good fusion jazz listening suggestions?[/QUOTE]

As I have advocated in other threads, a must is Dave Weckl

check out:

[b]Hard Wired & Synergy[/b] who feature Dave Weckl & Jay Oliver

You'll love it :thumb:

DizzySaxophone 05-19-2005 09:11 PM

Jazz

[B]Jazz[/B]
alrite, sadly, I don't know much of guitar/bass jazzers, but I'm a big jazz saxophone player, so if you want to go into the old true jazz stuff, stick here

[B]Saxophone[/B]
Charlie parker (not just his bebop, listen to the slow stuff too)
coleman hawkins
dexter gordon
Coltrane
Illinois Jacquet
Cannonball Aderly
Lester young
Paul desmond

[B]Trumpet (sadly I don't know as much but heres a few)[/B]
Dizzy Gillespie
Miles Davis

(If you want some good jazz songs of any genre Ex:Bebop,bop,big band,swing etc... just I.M. me on aim or msn) :)

Riva 05-22-2005 08:10 PM

Alrighty then. My mother loves Kenny G etc, and she also loves Viggo Mortensen. Now, I heard besides his acting career he has a jazz album. So, a) would my mother like him, and b) which album is his best?

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please- 05-22-2005 08:52 PM

OK, my interest in jazz/fusion is rapidly growing by the day. These days my CD player is being dominated by artists such as Frank Zappa, Miles Davis (electric period), John McLaughlin and Jeff Beck. Are there any other artists similar to these guys that I may enjoy?

AmericanWeiner 05-24-2005 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Schyma]OK, my interest in jazz/fusion is rapidly growing by the day. These days my CD player is being dominated by artists such as Frank Zappa, Miles Davis (electric period), John McLaughlin and Jeff Beck. Are there any other artists similar to these guys that I may enjoy?[/QUOTE]

I'm really digging Herbie Hancock right now. :D

[url]http://drummerworld.com/Sound/MikeClarkActualproof.mp3[/url]

DizzySaxophone 05-27-2005 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=HeavyRiva]Alrighty then. My mother loves Kenny G etc, and she also loves Viggo Mortensen. Now, I heard besides his acting career he has a jazz album. So, a) would my mother like him, and b) which album is his best?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you probably know this, but truly, kenny g. is not jazz. Now if you find one of his few jazz recordings, hes great at it, but most of his work (more on the soprano side) isn't jazz. Though hes a great tenor and alto jazz player, its just rare to find any of his jazz things.

RockUrConscious 05-28-2005 04:31 PM

Does anyone here know where i could go to find a blues tab by mos def called blue black jack. traditionally he's known as a rapper, but on his last album he plays a few solos i would mind adding to my own style.

Krabsworth 05-28-2005 08:24 PM

^
his only post :lol:

[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkOrchid]John Abercrombie[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Genre: Fusion/Guitar Jazz
Albums:Works, Gateway-Homecoming

norns 05-29-2005 11:34 AM

Jazz/ Funk - IN terms of it's growth and development - I think we're talking about early to mid 70's bands that developed fusion or went with funk and added more jazz into it. Too many people are trying to bring rock bands in here and muddy the waters - or get into funk albums all of which are good - but I don't think it helps when trying to isolate catagories - your not looking for " Everything I like" as a catagory

Kool and the Gang 1st Album
Ohio Players - Early works
Miles Davis - On the Corner, Live Evil - bitches brew era releases
***[U]HERBIE HANCOCK - HEAD HUNTERS [/U] ****
George Beson Giblett Gravey, [U]OTHER SIDE OFABBEY ROAD[/U]
Wes Montgomery
Indiris Mohammad recordings
Maceo Parker
Jacho albums
Return to Forever (Chick Corea, Stanley Clark, Lenny White etc..
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Billy Cobham, John McLauhlin
Willie Bobo - latin/funk/jazz
- A lot of Tito Puente's side men did funky Latin Jazz
Pucho - funky Latin Jazz
Undisputed Truth - Soul/jazz
Roy Ayres
Quincy Jones

The early Funkadelic albums are all out funk - I don't see a jazz connection - I find it to be the most inspiring Funk of all - every early album is worth owning but not jazzy

If you seek out "Northern Soul" you can find some off the beaten track deep groove

The Meters are a New Orleans funk - jazzy ??? but amazing to say the least
Eddie Bo is also out of the New Orleans funk style
Stax Records are a good place to look
Curtis Mayfield is an awesome funk master as well
The Barkays
Charles Wrights ***AMAZING***
Bands on the "West end" label were mostly hot

If you do searches for "rare soul" you hit on lots of one hit regional artists from the late 60's to mid seventies - there's some amazing stuff out there that was put out in the artists home city and never went national - detroit emerals, fatback band (early stuff)

A search for " psychedelic soul" will take you into some wild music as well

crazylegs 06-11-2005 11:03 AM

Something New

:wave: There is a new band that people on this forum would definitely be interested in. As with most of the great Jazz Funk that it has been my pleasure to listen to over the years I found it by accident while looking for something else!

The band is called CAPRI and I first found an EP of theirs on iTunes called "Earth Songs" which has a great track on it called

"Car Chase on Phoenix Avenue"

I did a bit of a search on Google and found their homepage [url]www.caprimusic.co.uk[/url] and found that they have a new album called "Boogie Man" ( you can listen to clips on the website ). I like the sound of

"Earth Song" reminds me of Herbie Hancock's "Thrust" + "Secrets"
"Car Chase on Phoenix Avenue" reminds me of Brecker Brothers
"Putting it all Together" just great....

I've emailed the website today to see if the album is available to download anywhere. I'll let you know if I find out. If anybody on here has already got it please let me know where. Thanks! :thumb:

Sticky-Fingers Mahoney 06-11-2005 11:30 AM

check out Time-Lapse Consortium. its an incubus side project. its mike einzinger on guitar jose pasillas on drums ben kenny on bass brandon boyd doing percussion neal evans on keys/organ and a 11 piece orchristra. download some of their songs because their only live bootleg is almost impossibe to find. they have all 10 of the songs from the bootleg on limewire.

Kazass 06-11-2005 03:02 PM

As far as I can see nobody mentioned Lee Ritenour. Dude he's a great Jazz/Funk guitarist, you gotta mention him...
And one more thing. See, I've been listening to funk for a long time now, and one thing I came across a while ago was the song "Diggin' on james brown" by tower of power. I sure have been listeneing to them for a long while but havent come across this song b4. Now, everyone who knows this song sure has heard those great sax syncopations with the sopran, alt and tenor. And now I wanted to ask you guys if anyone of you knows some similar song with such a great groove on the saxes. If you hear this song I'm sure you're gonna know what I mean....
Good night now guys, and one more thing:
got funk?

spidey_x_09 06-15-2005 08:27 PM

Rayford Griffon

For the Drummers out there. and others who are musically inclined

only_in_dreams723 06-19-2005 06:33 PM

For guitarists--

Kenny Burrell- Chitlins Con Carne

Wes Montgomery- anything by him. My favorite songs are Bumpin' on sunset, and Round Midnight.

Mardy 06-23-2005 12:41 PM

is it on purpose that no one has done the Meters yet?