Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

GreaD 09-26-2006 08:28 AM

Hi, I'm new here.. I really just wanted to find some music forum who could tell me what this song is:

[url]http://matthewrolston.com/800x600/rolston-home.htm[/url]

And also, if you could suggest any more musicians who have that sort of music, would also be greatly appreciated :)

Riziger 09-26-2006 12:14 PM

hehe, this might be pretty obvious but Michael Buble and Peter Cincotti?

both great singers..

jazzfromhell 09-26-2006 06:39 PM

I don't know what the original song or who the mixer is, but that's a remix of something by Ella Fitzgerald. You want music similar to what the original version of that song would sound like, try more Ella, Billie Holiday, and Sarah Vaughan.

funkster1 09-27-2006 09:10 AM

What about The Meters, 'Funky Meters'
Sly and the Family Stone; 'There's A Riot Going On'
Kool and the Gangs; 'Funky Stuff'
Buckshot lefonque . . interesting band headed by Wynton Marsellis' brother
Also Album with Great Tracks, 'All About The Funk', a collaboration with the brand new H's, The Official Nicole Russo can Funk hard.

ATM 09-28-2006 07:49 AM

So I've really been liking Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out, and I was just wondering where I should go from there to see what else jazz has to offer? I don't really know much.

Zebra 09-29-2006 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=ArrestThisMan;13343505]So I've really been liking Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out, and I was just wondering where I should go from there to see what else jazz has to offer? I don't really know much.[/QUOTE]

I know nothing about jazz either but I'm really digging Yusef Lateefs [i]Eastern Sounds[/i].

The Runner 10-05-2006 07:20 AM

Can anyone recommend me some good Jazz guitarists?

jazzfromhell 10-05-2006 09:20 AM

[b]Django Reinhardt[/b]
Charlie Christian
Wes Montgomery
Joe Pass
Derek Bailey (avant-garde/free)
John McLaughlin (fusion)
I love Freddie Green's sound in Basie's band, but he was always rhythm, Basie though he was too important to keeping the band together to let him solo

Zebra 10-07-2006 02:10 PM

Al DiMeola is my favorite fusion guitarist. Great stuff.

faze3 10-09-2006 02:17 PM

For Jazz, I like the Braxton Brothers album Rollin'. Most of it is instrumental, and I guess you'd classify it as modern as opposed to the older jazz style(s).

It and one of the Jazz Master CDs are the only ones I have so far, but I'm always interested in albums along this vein as well as smooth jazz.

TheOpethAffinity 10-13-2006 11:46 PM

what are some good jazz/blues guitarists that have a basic sound similiar to this?

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=jV_GV6OKQ1M[/url]

drewhet 10-14-2006 03:33 PM

^check out pat metheny group

the_G_N 10-16-2006 02:13 AM

[QUOTE=TheOpethAffinity;13437378]what are some good jazz/blues guitarists that have a basic sound similiar to this?

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=jV_GV6OKQ1M[/url][/QUOTE]

That jazz medly had the sounds of:
Herb Ellis
Joe Pass
Kenny Burrell
Wes Montgomery

Basically the top 4 Jazz guitarmen of all time.:thumb:

Mavik 11-02-2006 08:45 PM

anything from Miles Davis,Autechre and David Bowie ;D three totally different artists but totally excellent

MrKite 11-07-2006 08:55 PM

I'm recently into Miles Davis and I'm trying some John McLaughlin, but I can't find much of his stuff. Any links to his material would be appreciated.

AmericanWeiner 11-17-2006 05:59 PM

[url]http://docs.real.com/docs/mobile/content/a_night_in_tunisia.mp3[/url]

ooooh god that is one of the nicest samba/swing shifts I've heard on that

troops_of_doom 01-15-2007 06:29 PM

Could someone recommend me some stuff that is similar to Mahavishnu Orchestra.

badtaste 02-09-2007 08:10 AM

What's the essential Weather Report album? Preferably one with Jaco would be nice.

I still can't get over Teen Town.

AmericanWeiner 02-14-2007 05:42 PM

Whatever one teen town and birdland is on

i dunno S/T maybe?

Any ideas for some slow thoughtful bittersweet modern jazz?

maybe some darker latin ideas thrown around etc

doofusinternational 03-14-2007 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=badtaste;14170173]What's the essential Weather Report album? Preferably one with Jaco would be nice.

I still can't get over Teen Town.[/QUOTE]

thats "heavy weather" has birdland and other big hits on it, i think it was thier biggest album

anybody like "the bad plus"?

FlawedPerfection 03-14-2007 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=badtaste;14170173]What's the essential Weather Report album? Preferably one with Jaco would be nice.

I still can't get over Teen Town.[/QUOTE]

The best album with Jaco is Heavy Weather, but that's not to say it is the only good Weather Report album.

clairvoyant 03-16-2007 09:10 PM

Okay now not all of these are funk, but at least its R&B and soul and what not.

What else is kinda like Kool & The Gang, Bill Withers, Change/Luther Vandross, and Ohio Players?

Not all of them combined...just each one in particular.

lfantwister 03-18-2007 12:06 PM

[QUOTE]The best album with Jaco is Heavy Weather, but that's not to say it is the only good Weather Report album.[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of black market

CaptainWaits 03-18-2007 01:05 PM

I'm wondering where would be a good starting point for Sun Ra?

Zebra 03-18-2007 01:21 PM

Space is the Place or Atlantis

EDIT: He's pretty hard to get into

Rams 03-18-2007 08:57 PM

[I]Lanquidity[/I] for Sun Ra.

Kyle 03-27-2007 07:26 AM

Hey guys, I'd like some help with Jazz.

I basically downloaded my first propper jazz album over the weekend which was John Coltrane's [I]Giant Steps[/I]. This is the first time that the genre has really caught a spark in me, and has spurred me to want to find more albums/artists like this. So what are some good Jazz records that I should start with?

P.S sorry I'm sure you get this all the time, but if it's not too much trouble it'd be appreciated.

Rams 03-27-2007 12:42 PM

Booker Ervin's [I]Blues Book[/I]
Clifford Brown's [I]Study in Brown[/I], [I]At Basin Street[/I], and [I]Clifford Brown & Max Roach[/I]
Horace Silver's [I]Song For My Father[/I] & [I]Blowin' Away The Blues[/I]
Joe Henderson's [I]Inner Urge[/I], [I]Live in Japan[/I], and [I]Four![/I]
Lou Donaldson's [I]Blue Walk[/I]
Nat Adderley's [I]Work Song[/I]
Oliver Nelson's [I]The Blues & The Abstract Truth[/I]
Phil Woods' [I]Musique Du Bois[/I]
Sonny Clark's [I]Sonny Clark Trio[/I] & [I]Cool Struttin'[/I]
Sonny Rollins' [I]Tenor Madness[/I], [I]Alfie[/I], and [I]The Bridge[/I]

I can upload if asked.

Kyle 03-27-2007 03:54 PM

Thanks alot man, I'll start working my way through these. If you could upload a couple of your favorites aswell that'd be appreciated. E-mail in my profile.

Yuzz 03-27-2007 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=Kyle;14437319]Hey guys, I'd like some help with Jazz.

I basically downloaded my first propper jazz album over the weekend which was John Coltrane's [I]Giant Steps[/I]. This is the first time that the genre has really caught a spark in me, and has spurred me to want to find more albums/artists like this. So what are some good Jazz records that I should start with?

P.S sorry I'm sure you get this all the time, but if it's not too much trouble it'd be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

[I]Miles Davis[/I] - Kind of Blue
[I]John Coltrane[/I] - A Love Supreme (Arguable one of the best Jazz recordings in existance)
[I]Charles Mingus[/I] - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

There are tonnes more - but those three albums are a must and an excellent introduction into the wonderful world of Jazz.