Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Copyrighting? (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494729)

punkrocker-182 09-30-2006 02:56 PM

Copyrighting?

well me and my band are thinking about making our first demo album, but should we copyright it before we start playing shows and selling it??? because i dont want anyone stealing are stuff or anything. im just wondering what all the other unsigned bands do with there demo records...

Relmar 09-30-2006 03:00 PM

It probably sucks anyway, so no one would bother copying it. Leave it as is.

AG 09-30-2006 03:10 PM

Make it, get your CD.

Send said CD to yourself with a document containing all lyrics and music written down. Get all band members to sign it, agreeing who wrote what.

Get post office to time/datestamp it.

DO NOT OPEN LETTER WHEN IT ARRIVES. If you ever get into trouble with copyright, take unopened letter to court.

You = win.

Relmar 09-30-2006 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=AG;13356475]Make it, get your CD.

Send said CD to yourself with a d0cument containing all lyrics and music written down. Get all band members to sign it, agreeing who wrote what.

Get post office to time/datestamp it.

DO NOT OPEN LETTER WHEN IT ARRIVES. If you ever get into trouble with copyright, take unopened letter to court.

You = win.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that would work.

Miek 09-30-2006 03:13 PM

It does, but recently, that has been changing.

AG 09-30-2006 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=Relmar;13356495]I don't think that would work.[/QUOTE]

I don't give a flying fu[SIZE=2]c[/SIZE]k what you thinks works or doesn't, to be perfectly honest.

Krabsworth 09-30-2006 03:24 PM

Troll.

Relmar 09-30-2006 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=AG;13356535]I don't give a flying fu[SIZE=2]c[/SIZE]k what you thinks works or doesn't, to be perfectly honest.[/QUOTE]

What I thinks works or doesn't?

I suppose then, if I thought you're a fu[SIZE=2]c[/SIZE]king little maggot who talks big behind a screen that it would just slip you on by?

AG 09-30-2006 03:53 PM

Pretty much.

Talking big on the internet is easy, you just type size=8.

Relmar 09-30-2006 03:58 PM

size=8

AG 09-30-2006 04:00 PM

[SIZE=1]Please don't hit me.[/SIZE]

Animus Light 09-30-2006 04:02 PM

That actually does work if the PO's stamp is OVER the seal of the envelope.

However, anything you write and publish is automatically copyrighted to your name so long as it is accessible and there is proof that you wrote it at a certain time (hence, the envelope). Patents and trademarks work by different standards and they aren't automatic.

Relmar 09-30-2006 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Animus Light;13356728]That actually does work if the PO's stamp is OVER the seal of the envelope.

However, anything you write and publish is automatically copyrighted to your name so long as it is accessible and there is proof that you wrote it at a certain time (hence, the envelope). Patents and trademarks work by different standards and they aren't automatic.[/QUOTE]

What if two people wrote the same band name and mailed it at exactly the same time.

Animus Light 09-30-2006 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Relmar;13356750]What if two people wrote the same band name and mailed it at exactly the same time.[/QUOTE]

Band names don't get copyrighted, lyrics do. Band names need to be registered trademarks for them to have any legitimacy. Whichever band fills out the registration first and has it approved first keeps their name. The lyrics in the envelope are copyrighted, however.

Trigger_003 09-30-2006 04:32 PM

Stranger things have happened.
But yeah, the chances of that are tiny.

As said, intellectual property rights are automatic as soon as you put your unique ideas down in some legible form or another (e.g. record, write out the lyrics and notation, etc). However, there is the fact that, should there be a conflict, you will want to be able to prove that yours was first. And then simply having it down will not be enough.

Poor-man's copyright is supposed to be fine, although I have heard from various people that in some countries it doesn't hold up in court. To be really safe you can pay the governing body in your country to copyright it for you, but this is expensive, and probably not worthwhile unless you know your material is really going to go somewhere. As a local party band or something like that, you'll hardly have too many instances of anyone going out and stealing your songs.

There should be a commissioner's site or similar that you can look at which will give you a brief about the Copyright Act over there. You're most likely able to download the Act itself, but not too many people here are willing to read through 600 or so pages of ours for this alone.

Even with poor-man's copyright, there are usually some guidelines you need to follow. With copyright notices here, we need to write something along the lines of:
This work is copyright of {name}, {year}. Apart from any use permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced by any process, nor may any other exclusive right be exercised, without the author's permission.
That kind of thing should be covered in the Commissioner's breif.

strowen 09-30-2006 06:19 PM

The letter-with-timestamp-thing does work.

Relmar 09-30-2006 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=Fat Tits McKrabs;13356555]Troll.[/QUOTE]

Quick! Cast fire!

Peg Dizzler 09-30-2006 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=FakeReality;13357566]The letter-with-timestamp-thing does work.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Was I the one that told you about that, AG? :lol: Or did you already know..

the_uber_penguin 09-30-2006 07:27 PM

Letter with stamp on it (i.e. registered mail) is recommended by most sources (A bands guide to getting a record deal, How to succeed in the music business) and it DOES tend to get recognised. It might not hold up against major cases with expensive legal teams, but it will work for any small claims.

Koss 09-30-2006 07:38 PM

To be honest mate, I wouldn't worry about it.

Seu 02-10-2011 05:25 PM

hi,

i read about the "poor man's copyright" method everywhere.
People, you must stop suggesting this myth, as you are exposing people to a lot of danger.
It just not valid.

There are many services out there that can provide you with proof of ownership. The service i prefer to use (and i ahave nothing to gain by suggesting it, i just like the service) is http://www.copyrightsworld.com .

You can try them for free.

Regards,
S