Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rock & Metal (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Filter (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556749)

MoonlightBleeding 05-04-2008 04:23 PM

Filter

The new "Anthems for the Damned" leaked a few days ago. Pretty damn good...blew my expectations right out of the water. It's a nice mixture of heavy industrial metal, softer singles, and some pretty badass soundscapes, something they've never really hit before. Not to mention it's catchy as hell and his voice is the best it's ever been. The lyrics don't suck *** like they used to, either.

It's a 4 as of now...

Dimmu Burger 05-04-2008 04:24 PM

Sweet! I was waiting for this to leak. I enjoyed a bit of their past music.

Kage 05-04-2008 04:25 PM

Gotta check this out. Not expecting much though.

Correction 05-04-2008 04:25 PM

filter is pretty bad man

and plz dont review

MoonlightBleeding 05-04-2008 04:27 PM

Why post here if you don't like Filter?

I will review it too, kthnxbye

Correction 05-04-2008 04:28 PM

damn

MoonlightBleeding 05-04-2008 04:29 PM

That sucks for you.

cometuesday 05-04-2008 04:32 PM

I had no idea they had something new.

That said, I've never been overly impressed.

MoonlightBleeding 05-04-2008 04:33 PM

They had a pretty good album with The Amalgamut, and a pretty overall average album with ToR, and a shitty album with Short Bus...so far, Anthems is pretty great.

Kage 05-04-2008 04:34 PM

The Amalgamut is a tight record.

Title of Record has some epic tracks.

MoonlightBleeding 05-04-2008 04:36 PM

Well, yeah, ToR had Welcome to the Fold, The Best Things and Take a Picture, and Skinny but that was about it. The lyrics on Welcome to the Fold made it nearly hated by me though...

Dimmu Burger 05-04-2008 04:38 PM

He had a lot of help writing this new record I read. But that's ok.

Kage 05-04-2008 04:39 PM

From who?

Dimmu Burger 05-04-2008 04:43 PM

John-5, Wes Borland and Josh Freece.

MoonlightBleeding 05-04-2008 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=Dimmu Burger;16302340]He had a lot of help writing this new record I read. But that's ok.[/QUOTE]

It's all good, his work with Borland and NIN live members from Fragility is apparent-I hear a bit of The Fragile-era NIN and a bit of Black Light Burns mixed with that traditional Filter sound.

Dimmu Burger 05-04-2008 04:45 PM

I look forward to hearing this now. I'm gonna have to get it when I get home.

MoonlightBleeding 05-04-2008 04:54 PM

Here's a little synopsis T-B-T for you:

1. Soldiers of Misfortune-Radio single, to get fans back into the band obviously.
2. What's Next-**** yeah, heavy riff, insane speeds, catchy chorus...totally badass. His work with Borland is apparent here, it sounds like a Borland riff.
3. The Wake-Totally nostalgic classic Filter...
4. Cold-Really good single material, pretty epic.
5. Hatred is Contagious-Pretty average, but keeps the album going.
6. Lie After Lie-Good single material, atmospheric, sounds like a traditional Alt-rock song from the 90s...but it's really good.
7. Kill the Day-Badass melodic rocker, sing-along quality, melodic and fuzzy, totally industrial. Very Black Light Burns-ish but it's not **** like BLB.
8. The Take-Adrenaline fueled angry industrial powerhouse...fast, insane, and fun...gonna be a kickass live song.
9. I Keep Flowers Around-Good soaring anthem with a darker vibe than traditional Filter anthems.
10. In Dreams-Beating, original, and crazy nostalgic Filter song...his voice takes a beating (his best vocal performance on the album BY FAR).
11. Only You-Good soaring anthem, perhaps more single material. Really slow and atmospheric, acoustic guitar included (that's right, in a Filter album)
12. Can Stop This-Freese's influence is right here, it's a really atmospheric The Fragile-esque closing instrumental...damn good way to close the album.

Bordello 05-04-2008 05:02 PM

oh man ive got a hankerin for soaring anthems

oracrest 05-05-2008 04:49 PM

I saw them live a few weeks back.

It was... kind of depressing.

I listened to their earlier stuff in high school, early college, so I was pretty excited to see them play for the nostalgia of it. I hadn't seen them live before.

The show was just lame though. It must not have sold many tickets, because they moved it to a smaller venue down the street. I actually got my ticket free at a pelican show the day before at the original venue.

He just kept repeating questions to the audience between EVERY song, to get louder responses. It just felt really sad. Not sure if I will ever go see them again. They did play some songs from Title of Record that they claimed was the first time they had ever played them live, and they were some of the tracks I enjoyed off that album.

Bands shouldn't tell the audience when they should be holding up their lighters...
I guess the rest of the band is all new now??

Dimmu Burger 05-05-2008 07:00 PM

Yeah all but Richard and one other guy its a new lineup.

I got the new album this morning. I listened to the first half and it sounds pretty good. I look forward to hearing the rest.