Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 10:46 AM

I know, eh? Braking news might work if I was talking about brake pads or something, just to be stupid, otherwise I'm screwed. As far as kettles go, I just microwave my water because I don't really like beverages to be too hot... which is kind of against the point of tea, but hey. and yes, that beer sounds like it'll be awesome.

J and I still need to make Bog Slandy, oh man it'll be so great.

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 10:52 AM

Oop, oop, just remembered another reason I suck:

I had to hit up the courier on Friday for work; send some truck insurance papers to one of the divisions in Alberta. The courier happens to be in the back of a music shop I frequent. there was a long line for the courier services, so I headed for the bass section. The only bass I hadn't previously played was a brand new Squier P-Bass... needless to say it played well and sounded real nice... and I felt terrible inside. I went home and played my Jazz Bass just to try to cure myself... I think I need to take it in and get it set-up though, cause I still couldn't get into it.

long story short.... I think I might be turning into a... full-on guitarist.

:'(

FunkMetalBass 10-04-2010 11:19 AM

I play guitar all the time. And bass. And occasionally my theremin.

God forbid you expand your ability to play musical instruments.

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 11:22 AM

You got it!

really I think what I'm lamenting is losing interest in bass, I dunno. might need to take my dad's word and go to school for it and just overdose on all sorts of instruments, who knows.

FunkMetalBass 10-04-2010 11:26 AM

[quote=FlamingCouch;18210394]You got it!

really I think what I'm lamenting is losing interest in bass, I dunno. might need to take my dad's word and go to school for it and just overdose on all sorts of instruments, who knows.[/quote]

Or, you know, just play what makes you happy.

I wouldn't recommend going to school for music unless you had some serious drive, countless hours to devote to practice, and have some solid long-term goals.

Spaceman Spiff 10-04-2010 11:31 AM

I saw Swans on the weekend. What a fucking intense show.

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18210404]Or, you know, just play what makes you happy.

I wouldn't recommend going to school for music unless you had some serious drive, countless hours to devote to practice, and have some solid long-term goals.[/QUOTE]

yeh, I can dig it. I do have countless hours to devote, however I get bored playing alone pretty quickly unless I get in the groove as it were.

tell us all about it Spiff.

Spaceman Spiff 10-04-2010 11:52 AM

Well, first of all, it's quite funny seeing these 50+ year old men playing such devastatingly loud and powerful music. The music is just so heavy and rhythmic and emotional, it was really great. Michael Gira's singing just cuts right through you. There were a couple of times where all the music dropped out and he was singing without any accompaniment and he was just carrying the song with ease with just his voice.

It was a great concert.

Here's a video of one of the songs. I saw two people recording the entire set.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSjinY7-5OA[/url]

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 12:05 PM

can't see youtube at work, but when I get on my laptop I'll Czech it out for sure.

I know they had a huge rotating lineup, but is there anyone memorable other than Gira?

PS where's that second album? :P I haven't unzipped the third album on my 'top but I got it on a friend's computer and really dug it.

Spaceman Spiff 10-04-2010 12:18 PM

The other guitarist has been in the band since the beginning. I'm really not too familiar with them, I've only been getting into them recently. I'm not sure if any of the other guys have been in the band or if was just Gira and the other guitarist. They performed as a six-piece.

And sorry, I completely forgot. I'll get you the album probably some time this week.

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 12:25 PM

Hey man, no worries. It's not priority or anything, I mean if anything you're doing me a favour by sharing tunes with me.

How's the new album coming along?

Spaceman Spiff 10-04-2010 02:14 PM

The new album is nearly finished. First mixes of all songs are complete, we're going back and fixing up any issues with the first mixes now. After this is done, we'll probably go through the process once more of listening for what could sound better and making adjustments. After that we're sending it off to get professionally mastered and then off to the printers. We should have it in our hands in a few weeks.

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 02:34 PM

That sounds awesome man, glad to hear it's motoring along.

Are you sending it out to stores and whatnot?

Spaceman Spiff 10-04-2010 02:41 PM

We're going to send it (or a few song demo) out to some people and labels to see if we can get some interest or whatever from wherever we send it. We have a few connections to people who will be willing to help us out a bit.

And we'll be able to sell it at shows for a few dollars, too. And we'll be putting it up for free online once it's all done.

FlamingCouch 10-04-2010 03:06 PM

hm. I guess the actual hard copy won't be for sale online?

Spaceman Spiff 10-04-2010 03:12 PM

We may also do that. To be honest, we haven't really discussed it, but we'll probably do it if there are people that want to buy it.

gaslight 10-04-2010 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18210404]Or, you know, just play what makes you happy.

I wouldn't recommend going to school for music unless you had some serious drive, countless hours to devote to practice, and have some solid long-term goals.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you're going to go to school for music (I'm assuming you're talking about doing a BMus) you're going to have to have plenty of time free every single week (every day really) for practise, and plenty of money to get you through because you probably won't be able to combine serious work and serious practise in necessary amounts.

Also, don't do it if you're not interested in music theory and not willing to learn to read music, because you'll have to do those things if you're getting a serious degree.

gaslight 10-04-2010 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18209788]Lmao oh damn you got me, yes I am actually Gav!

Gas: Lol aren't you teaching and playing and writing and stuff?[/QUOTE]

Yeah but none of it really matters any.

I'll let you know if I'm ever satisfied with how things are going.

funkyhoney 10-04-2010 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=gaslight;18211334]Yeah but none of it really matters any.

I'll let you know if I'm ever satisfied with how things are going.[/QUOTE]

Stop bitching, I work in a pet store, haven't played a gig in nearly 6 months and my roomate annoys the shit out of me and farts a lot. :chug:

gaslight 10-04-2010 09:54 PM

I really don't have anything to brag about but your roommate does sound shithouse.

funkyhoney 10-04-2010 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=gaslight;18211373]I really don't have anything to brag about but your roommate does sound shithouse.[/QUOTE]

She's alright but complains a lot about how she's getting fat, (eats nothing but maccas and pizza, quite literally) how her teeth hurt, (drinks nothing but coke) how she's always tired and feels like crap, (smokes a pack a day give or take - always increasing) has no money, (yet buys fire twirling sticks and stupid cabinet things to hold bathroom items) and how no one wants to have sex with her. Oh, and about how Australia sucks and she wants to go back and live in England/Scotland/Holland/assorted other countries she spent 2 months in.

Other than that she's great.

funkyhoney 10-04-2010 10:04 PM

And she always burps and farts really loudly and frequently. It's kind of off-putting.

gaslight 10-04-2010 10:11 PM

It's a woman? Good lord.

funkyhoney 10-04-2010 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=gaslight;18211404]It's a woman? Good lord.[/QUOTE]

I've known it for nearly 15 years so I should know by now. This photo of the two of us indicates she probably is a female.

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs536.ash1/31422_394718946785_655426785_4669354_3830821_n.jpg[/IMG]

gaslight 10-04-2010 10:22 PM

Should have guessed there'd be a lip ring involved.

funkyhoney 10-04-2010 10:29 PM

I've got an industrial piercing, what you trying to say ma'fucka?

And a conch too, that really hurt actually, what a great birthday idea it was.

Epidemechanical 10-04-2010 11:23 PM

lol some guy on YT sent me this
[COLOR="Red"]
[B][I]I like the music that you've done a lot, especially the Crawling orchestral take. That one was my favorite in particular.

So, with that out of the way, have you ever thought about doing some video game music before?[/I][/B][/COLOR]

i responded, actually, with

[COLOR="Red"][B][I]have i ever "thought about it?" yes

its not that easy, though

you cant just go and MAKE video game music[/I][/B][/COLOR]

he replied, with what is probably the weirdest message ive ever gotten on YT

[COLOR="Red"][B][I]You can't just "go" and "MAKE" regular/listening music either. Sorry if I appeared somewhat condescending or whatever in that message. I can understand why you would think that way. =_=

If you were to work for me, there wouldn't be very many (if any) time constraints. However, if you opt-out, I won't think badly of you for it.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

whats creepy about this is he like, assumes "have you thought about making music before" is equatable to "do you wanna make music for me"

got a total sex slave vibe thing

so i messaged back

[COLOR="Red"][B][I]Are you offering me a job? What are the details? I'm listening and interested.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[B]lol.[/B] the internet is so much fun

funkyhoney 10-04-2010 11:27 PM

"Thank you for your offer of work with no time constraints and no mention of pay. By my calculations this equates to the exact same situation I am in currently, i.e. I do not work for you and receive no payment."

gaslight 10-05-2010 12:04 AM

Yeah you gotta sort out money very far in advance or it just leads to problems.

Even if there's no money, it just has to be clear for everyone straight up.

Sablate McNuff 10-05-2010 01:19 AM

[quote=funkyhoney;18211434]I've got an industrial piercing, what you trying to say ma'fucka?

And a conch too, that really hurt actually, what a great birthday idea it was.[/quote]

I almost banged a chick once that had her conch done.

Then I thought it was probably a bad idea, because she was obviously into more pain than I could have dished out, being that I'm only mortal.

I had 4 piercings in my tongue, and the venoms (the two side tongue piercings) were the worst. I bled for 2 days because of them, like spitting out mouthfuls every few hours. I guess one of them hit a capillary.

I now just have one piercing in my tongue and both of my eyebrows. I've considered gauging my ears to a 6 or an 8, but haven't done it....yet.