Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

TowerOfHendrix 01-03-2005 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=Jar-Of-Mice]I figure, maybe I'll put some Contemp. Jazz up here. Anyone aver hear of Gordon Goodwin?

Check out Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

Songs to check out:
Hunting Wabbits (experimental)
The Jazz Police (Jazz Rock)
Swingin' for the Fences (Swing)
Sing Sang Sung (swing)
Samba Del Gringo (samba)
Mueva Los Huesos (Latin Jazz)
Horn of Puente (Latin Jazz)

Albums:
Swingin' for the Fences
XXL

This is a great band to listen to for melodic genius, both in the written parts, and the solo-ing as well. Have Fun.

JOM[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, The BPB plays some of the hardest charts, and I would know, i've played 5 of the songs mentioned above on lead trumpet and they are hard. Also, for those of you looking for a jazzier type of funk, look to Tower of Power.
I recommend getting:
Oakland Stroke
Soul with a Capital "S"

They are a very talented band and have an amazing horn section.

AndyEdwardsMusic.com 01-04-2005 07:27 PM

If you like funky electric jazz and have the time please check out my band...

[url]http://www.andyedwardsmusic.com/band.htm[/url]

and video here

[url]http://www.andyedwardsmusic.com/video.htm[/url]

thanks.

Massik Kretal 01-08-2005 07:15 PM

What are some good jazz songs with a deep bassline, like hit the road jack. do u no what i mean? like very dark but very swing songs?

Woodstock 01-08-2005 08:20 PM

I need some good big band songs. Stuff like Count Basie.

BIG AL 01-21-2005 09:37 AM

for me personal taste , best players number 1 jazz player in the world= george benson
best funk band off all time earth wind and fire guitar player al mckay , and scottish band, average white band, they where awesome ....

those are my guitar heros....

ollivubumssheep 01-25-2005 05:52 AM

James brown is so talented he totally changed music!!! Also Ray Charles is most cetainly the genius, ny12 seen that nu film about his life?

bassplayer142 01-25-2005 12:13 PM

my influences in funk and jazz go a long way. mainly in funk i stick to the older stuff like the red hot chili peppers who are rock/funk, bootsy collins the god of space bass, parliment funkadelic with george cliton, earth wind and fire, tower of power, defunkt... in jazz i listen to jaco pastorius from weather report and word of mouth, stanley clark, micheal manring... there are many great bass players you just have to find them

Kazass 01-25-2005 02:00 PM

Booker T and the MGs - Green Onions (blues) EVERYONE KNOWS THIS ONE!
Charles Wright - "Express yourself" or anything else (old funk)
Sir Joe Quarterman & Free soul - "So much trouble in my mind" and others (old funk)
Billy Cobham - try some stuff
Dave Weckl - all the songs (the ones with his band)
Maceo & The Macks - "Soul Power 74" and others
War - had some good stuff too
Ray Charles - buy his new duets album ("Fever" is a great song)
Dave Brubeck - "Take Five" and many others
Doobie Brothers - "Long train runnin'" (not exactly funk, but a great song nonetheless, sure everyone knows it)
Glen Miller - lol nice big band stuff ("In the mood")
Herbie Hancock - everything (probably already said)
Maceo Parker - "In Time" and everything else is great too
Oliver Cheatham - "Get down saturday night" (80's funk)

LOL that's a pretty big list, hope you like it
(GET THE FIRST SONG IMMEDIATLY!! I'M SURE NOBODY HAS HEARD OF THEM B4 BUT YOU SURE KNOW THE SONG!!)

itskub 01-28-2005 08:01 PM

does anyone know the name of that hip hop - funk band.. i forget the name.. its something like AK 49 ?

anyone know???

somecallmeian 01-30-2005 08:23 PM

I've really gotten into funk lately, and I was hoping to list some artists but everyone beat me to them. My radio station on launch has shown me some cool funk artists, and I think because I gain nothing for it it'll be cool to put the address on here.

[url]http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1568046890[/url]

My station has other music I like on it, but there is one mood which is Funk and old motown stuff only.

Yamaha2k3 01-30-2005 10:48 PM

Can someone help me. I'm looking for a jazz band that has kind of a latin feel to it. I guess the guitar stuff would kind of be like Carlos Santana's playing. Thanks.

edit: Here's a good example of what I'm talking about [url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296788[/url]

Kazass 02-10-2005 01:42 PM

try this one: [url]www.journeys.ch[/url]
they have a few latin jazz songs on their album. You can listen to it on the site....or just try a search for "latin jazz" on google

CaptainWaits 02-12-2005 11:28 AM

Could someone recommend me something similar to that of Freddie Hubbard's work??

spastic 02-12-2005 02:42 PM

I haven't been in this thread for a while, but I just came in and noticed the guy up a few posts that mentioned Scott Amendola -- props to you. I love this guy and his music, probably my first dive into avante-garde.

Check him and his band out if you're interested.

gabrielparach 02-16-2005 06:34 PM

Frank Jack

Have you ever heard of Frank Jack? He plays all over Chicago, strangely mostly at open mics. He does something I've never seen before. He usually does a solo show and creates all of his own music, prerecording some of it, but the kicker is he becomes the bizzare characters his songs are about. To find out where he'll be playing next, what I do is I look at different sites that list open mics in chicago. Sometimes they'll post who will be playing, but other times I just call around and ask people if they'll know where he'll be. Trust me, it's well worth it.

spastic 02-16-2005 07:46 PM

Does he have any recordings? I'm not close to Chicago.

rosenheim 02-20-2005 03:08 PM

[U][B]Disciples of Groove[/B][/U]

[url]http://purevolume.com/disciplesofgroove[/url]

chemistry and hologram

xTheCheaTx 02-21-2005 06:38 PM

I'd recommend some Arturo Sandoval, great jazz, some great drumming too.

xTheCheaTx 02-21-2005 06:45 PM

Also 2 local bands:

[B]Way of the Groove[/B] ([url]http://www.ajlucas.com/wotg.html[/url])
Jazz Fusion

Great Band, Some pretty talented musicians from South Florida, including Jaco's kids.

also

[B]Hagus Magagus[/B] ([url]http://www.hagusmagagus.com/[/url])
Funk

Ibanez_Rickey 02-21-2005 07:23 PM

Stanley Clarke...

School days definetley great bass and guitar

Moniker 02-28-2005 07:10 PM

page 5 snypa

haystacks 03-01-2005 12:18 PM

Maybe i'm blind (is this the boy band forum?!) but noticed there might be a couple of omissions from an otherwise excellent list of recommendations

Herbie Hancock
- Headhunters
- Thrust
Two exceptional Jazz/Funk/Fusion albums

Chick Corea and the RTF
- Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
- Where Have I Known You Before
Fabulous fusion fun

Brand X
- Morrocan Roll
- Unorthodox Behaviour
Phil Collins on drums! Some great stuff here tho.

Back Door
- Back Door
Amazing self titled debut album from 3 guys who were totally in it for the music. An original sound with an amazing bass player who practically takes on the roll of bass, rhythm and LEAD guitar just using the 4 strings. Quality.

John McLaughin
- Extrapolation
His fusion days aside, this is one of the finest examples of British jazz ever made. But you should never be without The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire and Between Nothingness and Eternity (Live).

Cheers

ib_guitar 03-02-2005 12:26 PM

any more good fusion jazz listening suggestions?

thesoundsmith 03-02-2005 07:00 PM

Prophetz of Time and Space.

Jerry Goodman(Mahavishnu, Dixie Dregs), Ndugu Chancler (George Duke, Joe Zawinul), Brandon Fields are the mainstays, there are personnel changes from earlier albums, IMHO the best one is the latest, Vibrationz. Some interesting odd-meter fusion work on the last three cuts; one is in 22/8, 8-and-a-half/4 and 5/4, one is 15/4 and the other in 5. Plus some great grooves throughout, thanks to the rest of the players - Munyungo Jackson on percussion, Otmaro Ruiz, piano and Rhodes, Tadashi Namba on synths and Steve Vasco on bass.

If you prefer live, the previous album was recorded at Club Jazz Nouveau in San Fran, but while the performances were excellent, the sound and mix really suck.

Dasher

sam, 03-03-2005 02:19 PM

Can somebody recommend me any old school instrumental funk please

Wanker 03-03-2005 07:58 PM

I've been listening to some BB king, Miles Davis, and Herbie Hancock. What else should I check out from here?

ib_guitar 03-07-2005 12:15 PM

thanks soundsmith, i'm checking out the sound as we speak...rock on

funkybeeatch14 03-10-2005 06:03 PM

Tower of Power, The Commodores, latter years Tempations (Papa Was A Rolling Stone), Earth Wind and Fire, James Brown, Parliament and Funkadelic...all essential funk bands for the beginner.

Anyone else i forgot to mention?

corporalclegg 03-12-2005 05:29 AM

[QUOTE=UncleJam][U][COLOR=Purple][SIZE=4][B]Funkadelic[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/U]
[B]Funk/Groove[/B]

[B]Recommended Songs[/B]
Freak of the Week
You Hit The Nail On The Head
Holly Wants to Go To California
Red Hot Mama

[B]Recommended Album[/B]
Uncle Jam Wants You

[B]Other Artists[/B]
Parliament
Defunk[/QUOTE]

Red Hot Mama is a great choice, whenever I hear that, it just sounds like a grip-full of fuzz.

punskad16 03-20-2005 12:26 PM

Stop talking about this thread, just make recommendations sheesh.

Whirly Bird- by Count Basie

3rdplanet 03-23-2005 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=rosenheim][U][B]Disciples of Groove[/B][/U]

[url]http://purevolume.com/disciplesofgroove[/url]

chemistry and hologram[/QUOTE]

I like those guys, are there any other bands fitting into this sort of genre people could recommend me?

I will recommend

[url]http://www.underwoodmusic.com[/url]

Very good band, the music is just *oragasm*

EDIT: Yeah they have spilt up, and the site might not be around for too long, but while you have the chance you should try and buy a CD, they are really very cheap and fantastic.

TheMahavishnu 03-25-2005 02:42 PM

Artists:
John Mclaughlin
Jaco Pastorius
Django Reinhardt

Albums-
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
The Inner Mounting Flame

Shakti - Shakti with John McLaughlin

The Guitar Trio - Passion, Grace, and Fire

Jaco Pastorius - Epic

Lifetime - The Collection

skankindude21 03-27-2005 12:36 PM

I saw a swing recommendation in the first page so I'd figure I'd suggest two good swing bands.
Cherry Poppin' Daddys
Songs: Zoot Suit Riot, Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line, No mercy for swine.
Album(s): Zoot Suit Riot

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Songs: Mr.Pintsripe Suit, You & Me & The Bottle makes three tonight, Jump with my baby
Album(s): Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, This Beautiful Life

Also any Wynton Marsalis is really good jazz.

Metalshark666 03-27-2005 12:59 PM

^agreed, on the wynton.

jcthedude 03-31-2005 03:50 AM

:rolleyes: Dude, U're on the right track but your life can't be complete without the masters of Funk: RED HOT CHILI PEPPERES!
think about it!

jcthedude 03-31-2005 03:57 AM

[B]RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for God's sake already!

franz sanchez 03-31-2005 07:56 AM

RHCP? I hope you're joking.

For funk, I can't recommend highly enough the group 'Osaka Monaurail'.

ToMsK 03-31-2005 11:15 AM

The Red hots are not funk. simple as. what they are are a funk influnced rock band (IMO anyway. the regulars on here may say something else)

RazorsInTheNight 04-01-2005 02:19 AM

[QUOTE=ib_guitar]any more good fusion jazz listening suggestions?[/QUOTE]

If it hasnt been already mentioned try Mind Power.

Execantic 04-04-2005 03:20 PM

[b]Woody Herman:[/b] Apple Honey, Blues in the Night, Caldonia, Come Rain or Come Shine, Early Autumn, Four Brothers, Four Others, The Good Life, I Can’t Get Started, I Wish You Love, I Remember Duke, A Lot of Livin’ To Do, No Moon At All, Pools, Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!, The Preacher, Red Top, Satin Doll, Sister Sadie, Sonny Boy, Spain, A Taste of Honey, Woodchopper’s Ball

[b]Wes Montgomery:[/b] 323 S.O.S., West Coast Blues, Four On Six, Unit Seven, Roundabout, The End of a Love Affair, Whisper Not, Ecaroh, Too Late Now, Satin Doll, Missile Blues

[b]Charlie Parker:[/b] Now’s the Time, Ornithology, Billie’s Bounce, Why Do I Love You, Confirmation, Buzzy, Steeplechase, Parker’s Mood, Scrapple From the Apple, Perhaps, Quasimodo, Red Cross, Ah-Leu-Cha, Yardbird Suite, Chasing the Bird, Cheryl, Bloomdido, Thriving From a Riff, The Way You Look Tonight, Another Hairdo, Barbados, Mohawk, Au Privave, My Little Suede Shoes, Bird Feathers, Dewey Square, Donna Lee, I Didn’t Know What Time It Was, I’ll Remember April, Ko Ko, Lover Man, Marmaduke, Merry-Go-Round, Moose the Mouche, Blues For Alice, Wee

[b]Frank Sinatra:[/b] Angel Eyes, Bewitched, The End of a Love Affair, These Foolish Things But Beautiful, A Foggy Day, Fly Me to the Moon, South of the Border, Witchcraft, Young and Foolish, Strangers in the Night, The Lady is a Tramp, September Song

[b]Louis Armstrong:[/b] Song of the Islands, Ain’t Misbehavin’, High Society, Baby Won’t You Please Come Home, Basin Street Blues, Bill Bailey, What a Wonderful World, ‘Way Down Yonder In New Orleans, Blueberry Hill, Tin Roof Blues, Hello Dolly!, I Can’t Give You Anything But Love, West end Blues, I’m Confessing That I Love You, Rockin’ Chair, Struttin’ With Some Barbecue, Weary Blues, Among My Souvenirs

[b]Miles Davis:[/b] All of You, Blue In Green, Blues For Pablo, Budo, Footprints, The Duke, Half Nelson, I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face, My Ship, Blue Haze, Budo, Bye Bye Blackbird, If I Were a Bell, Put Your Little Right Foot Out, Well You Needn't, It Aint Necessarily So, Half Nelson, I See Your Face Before Me, Four, Jeru, It Never Entered My Mind, Little Wille Sleeps, Miles Ahead, Solar, There Is No Greater Love, Tune Up, Walkin', Nefertiti, E.S.P, Joshua, Fall, If I Were a Bell, Seven Steps To Heaven, Blackbird, So Far So Near, When Lights Are Low