Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

Rams 03-28-2007 02:16 PM

I am uploading more. I would have more done but I was preoccupied last night.

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness
megaupload.com/?d=Y1R9BO53

The first track features John Coltrane on saxophone.

Oliver Nelson - The Blues & The Abstract Truth
megaupload.com/?d=R9RIZLCC

Phil Woods - Musique Du Bois
megaupload.com/?d=NC2JZUE9

Joe Henderson - Inner Urge
megaupload.com/?d=KSS45AX0

clairvoyant 03-31-2007 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Yuzz;14440374]
[I]John Coltrane[/I] - A Love Supreme (Arguable one of the best Jazz recordings in existance)
[/QUOTE]

Also, it was on the daily upload the other day, too.

Sauron 05-18-2007 10:31 AM

[B][U][SIZE="5"]Rebirth Brass Band[/SIZE][/U][/B]

New Orleans funk/jazz brass band. These guys tear it up.

[U][B]Recommended songs:[/B][/U]
Tornado Special
I'm Walkin'
Feel Like Funkin' It Up
Pie Pt. 2
[U]
[B]Recommended Albums:[/U][/B]
Take It To The Street
Feel Like Funkin' It Up

[SIZE="5"][B][U]Addison Groove Project[/U][/B][/SIZE]

Great funk grooves and an insanely tight horn section.

[B][U]Recommended Songs:[/U][/B]
Gorgonzola
The Eleven-headed
But Still
Phrenic

[B][U]Recommended Albums:[/U][/B]
Allophone
Addison Groove Project
Wicked Live 2

[SIZE="5"][B][U]Greyboy Allstars[/U][/B][/SIZE]

Absolutely sick funk band.

Turnip's Big Move
Grey Royale
Soul Dream
Planet of the Superkids

A Town Called Earth
Land Of The Lost
West Coast Boogaloo (with Fred Wesley)

[B][U][SIZE="5"]Melvin Sparks Band[/SIZE][/U][/B]

This man is one of the definitions of funk guitar. Highly recommended.

Pick Up The Pieces (his cover of the famous AWB song)
Alligator Boogaloo
Fire Eater
Charlie Brown
Hot Dog
Texas Twister

Anything you can find off archive.org

I have countless others that I'll put up later... sorry if any of these were mentioned in this thread before this post.

myron 05-30-2007 01:25 AM

hi.

Just got through listening to 'miles smiles'... never heard anything quite like it... was wondering if theres any similar albums other there (not necessarily by miles) i've got ESP but it doesn't really compare. is there any other Ron and Tony projects out there, outside the quintet?

And i like things without comping in it. The shape of jazz to come for example. but i do like piano lines. So what im basically asking for i guess is 'post-bop' or 'free-bop' or whatever you like to call it with piano but with little or no comping. Do albums like that exist outside Miles smiles?

superjoe 05-30-2007 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=myron;14763296]hi.

Just got through listening to 'miles smiles'... never heard anything quite like it... was wondering if theres any similar albums other there (not necessarily by miles) i've got ESP but it doesn't really compare. is there any other Ron and Tony projects out there, outside the quintet?

And i like things without comping in it. The shape of jazz to come for example. but i do like piano lines. So what im basically asking for i guess is 'post-bop' or 'free-bop' or whatever you like to call it with piano but with little or no comping. Do albums like that exist outside Miles smiles?[/QUOTE]

Look for Coltrane's later stuff. Its really free. Ascension is good. Lots of really good dissonant piano lines.

Check out more Ornette Coleman. Albert Ayler maybe too.

Kaleid 06-12-2007 08:15 PM

I know almost nothing about jazz/blues artists, though from what I've heard, I need to get a bit of knowledge. Specifically, I suppose I'm looking for the kind of cliched blues that's played on 1930s/1940s hollywood noir movies - y'know, sax heavy, slow-paced, sexy and slightly sleazy. Who or what do I look to first?

Also, I've heard Summertime (?) by George Gershwin - is his other stuff good?

perriwinkle 06-12-2007 10:22 PM

bow chicka wow wow

i like the Meters theyre sweet

musikmusik 06-26-2007 11:36 AM

I just saw this guy in L.A. a few days ago, and he was amazing. He is a Trumpet/vocalist. I got one of his CD's, and its amazing definitely worth a look at. His tone is very warm, and his voice is very individual. You can buy em on his website

[url]www.jonathandane.com[/url]

And I also learned that he replaced Bob Summers on the latest Bill Holman CD, and takes a few solos on it.

Special Brew 06-28-2007 04:34 PM

Swing / Swing Revival

I've been listening to a little bit of this here and there for a long, long time. But lately something clicked and I've gone bonkers over it. Mostly the newer 'revival' stuff like Royal Crown Revenue, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, etc. I think it's called the "sweet style" from what wikipedia says. I'm looking for all kinds of groups in that style, from big band to modern bands. I like the faster paced, more horn based stuff, and I'm not sure where to look to find these kinds of bands for myself.

volviendo 06-30-2007 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=Oh, the horror!;14899352]Swing / Swing Revival

I've been listening to a little bit of this here and there for a long, long time. But lately something clicked and I've gone bonkers over it. Mostly the newer 'revival' stuff like Royal Crown Revenue, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, etc. I think it's called the "sweet style" from what wikipedia says. I'm looking for all kinds of groups in that style, from big band to modern bands. I like the faster paced, more horn based stuff, and I'm not sure where to look to find these kinds of bands for myself.[/QUOTE]

You should maybe check out Oh! The Grandeur! by Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire.

Pete Down I Go 07-03-2007 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=FlawedPerfection;14370226]The best album with Jaco is Heavy Weather, but that's not to say it is the only good Weather Report album.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree, but 'best' is always dangerous territory with Weather Report.

I love, love, love Black Market, but Jaco hadn't really found his place in the band quite so much as with Heavy Weather and Alphonse Johnson probably comes out sounding a bit more comfortable in the setting.

All in all, I really enjoy Jaco's playing on 8:30. it's just so banging and all the distortion and energy really brings together all the elements of his musical personality for me...

Riziger 09-18-2007 03:20 AM

need a reccomendation. i'm just starting to get into jazz. what i like is light jazz, almost pop-jazz but not exactly mainstream like michael buble.

any orchestra-style bands that are recommended that play famous/movie tunes? for instance, i dled this compilation that had the ultimate mancini orchestra playing the pink panther theme in a really jazzy style. so, i hope you get my point.

downloading The Cinematic Orchestra now and maybe i'll get John Coltrane's love supreme later.

RoshanC 10-02-2007 03:32 PM

Have to mention Unfunky Ufo by Parliament. The most funky song EVER

Riziger 10-17-2007 10:45 AM

ok.... i'm gonna ask again with some changes. i now find i like jazz like ella fitzgerald and louis armstrong.

the easiest way to explain it i guess, is when in a mafia movie usually theres a part where they step into a bar and theres jazz music playing lightly in the background.

any thing i should get if i'm into this?

Ian Turner 10-24-2007 11:52 AM

Ornette Coleman

ohcleverhansyou 10-29-2007 03:25 AM

Maybe Bill Evans or Dexter Gordon.

casaba 11-02-2007 02:28 PM

came across this canadian jazz singer and love her. its Florence K and the album is "bossa blue" half the album in french and then english
my fav song has to be "you won't believe me"
anyone heard of her?

angelamia 01-10-2008 06:39 PM

i recommend Soulive: [url]http://www.soulive.com[/url]

I'm going to see them 1/17 at The Grove in Anaheim so i've been listening to them a lot

Aeaon 01-10-2008 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=RoshanC;15364266]Have to mention Unfunky Ufo by Parliament. The most funky song EVER[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would have to go with Tear The Roof Off The Sucker. That is THE most funky song I have ever heard.

Yield 01-10-2008 09:37 PM

Duke Ellington - The Great London Concerts

Pick this up, it's got some great stuff on it. Also, I'd recommend checking out Esbjorn Svensson Trio if you haven't heard of them.

Special Brew 02-03-2008 02:04 PM

What's some good funk to start with? I normally listen to reggae/ska, and northern soul, which both can have funk bits here and there.

ATM 02-03-2008 02:08 PM

Parliament/Funkadelic
Sly and the Family Stone
Rufus Thomas
Con Funk Shun
The Bar-Kays

Special Brew 02-03-2008 03:57 PM

Okay, I'll check those out.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pT-IsIb0U[/url]

Is there any funk, or anything else, that sounds similar to this?

ohcleverhansyou 02-03-2008 04:48 PM

You might like Galactic and Ozomatli.

Special Brew 02-03-2008 06:44 PM

Thanks, but I'm familiar with those bands and they have too much hip hop mixed in for me.

Imperial Star 02-08-2008 06:22 AM

Could anyone recomend me some jazz in the same vein as John Scofield Trio and Trio Beyond?
Thanks

missmiss 02-25-2008 10:50 PM

G Love and Special Sauce

G Love and Special Sauce is funky blues with quirk sound - I love all their songs (literally, I do) they rock and they are coming to Charlotte and Boone, NC and Columbia, SC which I am sooo going to. here's the info below...should be a BLAST!!

G Love and Special Sauce in Charlotte!
Wiggle Like A Worm At Amos' With GLASS
Where: Amos' South End
When: Friday, February 29 from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm

Tuesday, March 4
G Love and Special Sauce in Boone!
Wiggle Like A Worm With GLASS
Where: Legends
When: Tuesday, March 4 from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm

Wednesday, March 5
G Love and Special Sauce in Columbia!
Wiggle Like A Worm With GLASS
Where: Headliners
When: Wednesday, March 5 from 11:00 pm to 2:00 am

FOWL 02-28-2008 04:54 PM

Check out myself! I play all instruments. Pretty far out there, some songs are more in the Fusion vein of things, some straight up avant garde, some heavy metal almost! Certainly unique! give it a try! [url]http://www.myspace.com/fowlmusic[/url]

Akira 02-28-2008 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=One Step Beyond;15933374]Okay, I'll check those out.

Is there any funk, or anything else, that sounds similar to this?[/QUOTE]

Check out Tower of Power.

Jody LeCompte 02-28-2008 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=One Step Beyond;15933374]Okay, I'll check those out.

Is there any funk, or anything else, that sounds similar to this?[/QUOTE]

Sublime, Reel Big Fish, Damien Marley, Mighty Mighty Bosstones.