Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums & Percussion (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "In Odin's Name" Kickstarter! (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616758)

Seafroggys 09-25-2012 10:10 PM

"In Odin's Name" Kickstarter!

Hey everyone, I am here to tell you about my biggest project since, well, ever. This is my biggest project ever!

About a year and a half ago I was co-writing an epic rock musical based on Norse mythology, set to a contemporary setting. I found a lyricist and researcher/story writer online, and I would write the music. Earlier this year I tried to produce a stage production but it failed miserably, we only had about 3-4 rehearsals (I'm not a theater guy and my director was a meth-head who didn't know what she was doing either).

Anyway, I've decided to retool and to release a professional album, using professional recording studios (not out of my garage) and professional singers. But this obviously needs funding, and I only have enough spare funds to make something on the quality of my last big project, which didn't turn out as well as I'd have liked.

So, I'm using Kickstarter. I'm sure most people here know what it is, but if you don't, go to www.kickstarter.com and check it out. This has a minimum goal of $3000 to meet. Really any pledge is good, but check out the rewards on the right hand side of the page to let you know what you'll receive when you pledge a certain amount. $20 gets you the digital copy of the album (which is about what you'd pay for it anyway, since its a 90+ minute epic), more gets you some merch, and so on and so forth. So check it out :)

Btw, I usually hate bumping shit, but I have NO shame in this. I want this to succeed, so I'll remind you peeps every week about this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1772950786/in-odins-name-concept-album-funding

Jeffs Carrot 09-26-2012 05:58 AM

Very cool man

I love the name! I will donate something for sure

Vinnie's Ice Cream 09-26-2012 10:04 AM

That is super cool. Best of luck!

I'll kick some cash towards ya for sure, gotta support music and musicians!

Seafroggys 09-26-2012 10:46 PM

Thanks guys, coming from you two that means alot!

Vinnie's Ice Cream 09-27-2012 01:46 PM

No problem man!

Maybe you can get the resident Guru rep to kick you down a set of drums in sponsorship... or even just a little cash to help an aspiring musician.

Steffanwolf 09-27-2012 03:49 PM

Heh heh.

Seafroggys, this is an excellent project. Unfortunately my extreme lack of funds mean the best I can offer is encouragement. At least until I sell a painting or something haha.

Keep it up!

Pearl2004 09-28-2012 01:27 AM

Love the concept, but I'm broke, when you're done I'll share the link on Facebook a few times though, maybe that will help a bit.... Plus... I'm living with a guy that has a studio in his house, if you want to send it for us to check out (second opinion) we will for free

Seafroggys 09-28-2012 08:30 PM

Heh, what do you mean check it out?

Pearl2004 09-29-2012 05:06 PM

Give it a listen through our studio, just another set of ears for mixing suggestions,

Seafroggys 09-29-2012 05:33 PM

Oh, you mean after I record it?

Well, considering I already have a home studio with decent speakers to listen to, and this is the place where I'm hoping to record and mix it (http://kungfubakery.net/) I don't think that'll be an issue ;)

But thanks though!

Pearl2004 09-30-2012 04:37 PM

You're welcome

Seafroggys 10-11-2012 09:44 PM

Support not looking good at this time, but I'm still excited to this project. If this kickstarter doesn't turn out, I may just get started entirely out of pocket, maybe do the music first and then run another, smaller kickstarter to do the singers.

But still looking for support regardless!

Drum Phil 10-12-2012 06:08 PM

To be fair, recession. Not many people have three grand to blow on something that has the chance to fall on its face

Seafroggys 10-12-2012 08:00 PM

This is crowdfunding. What you're thinking of are angel investors. Instead of a few investing lots, its lots investing few. Its pretty effective in a recession, and has proven wildly successful in the past few years. I've supported several kickass computer games that would never have seen the light of day under traditional publisher models.

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-13-2012 08:18 AM

Ya, the concept is solid. It's a lot easier to get 1,000 people to give you $3 then 3 people to give you $1,000.

I dunno bout recession though! People willingly give my band more then the $5 we ask for our album. 10's and 20's aren't uncommonly coupled with the phrase "I want to support your band and I know the money goes to you guys. Not a record company."

Drum Phil 10-13-2012 09:00 AM

Yeah but that's different. That's a known quantity. Investing in something to make it happen rather than investing in something you've just watched is a different mindset

Vinnie's Ice Cream 10-13-2012 09:27 AM

This is very true. The alcohol often helps too!

Seafroggys 10-13-2012 10:49 AM

GOtta get the world drunk!