Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OFFICIAL Theory Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432696)

bottlerocket 01-10-2006 07:50 PM

OFFICIAL Theory Thread

Last one got deleted. Terribly sorry about that, but looks like we need a new one.

Here, post questions regarding to theory of the bass guitar, answer questions, discuss theory, share ideas and theory, etc.

Enjoy!

-Gav

bottlerocket 01-10-2006 07:51 PM

So...who likes Cmaj? I sure do.

I like the minor scale myself, though...

-Gav

TerryThorne 01-10-2006 07:52 PM

E mixo

Manticore Guy 01-10-2006 07:55 PM

DELETED:eek:

I play that funky music 01-10-2006 08:10 PM

Someone explain chord progressions to me please.

bottlerocket 01-10-2006 08:16 PM

A chord progression is just what the name says; a progression of chords. Typically, the chords have similar notes, but not necessarily. A chord change is the most basic of these. Usually, chord changes are done within a scale or mode and in the same key.

-Gav

mfb 01-10-2006 08:33 PM

i was doing this weird two-note run (on the D and G) yesterday. the pattern was "fifth-fifth-fifth-augmented fifth-augmented fifth-diminished fifth-fifth-fifth-augmented fifth-augmented fifth-diminshed fifth". and kept on doing that up and down the fretboard. then i added some tapping and slide harmonics and it created a pretty cool groove. if i add some touchstyle and some fingerstyle, i might be able to structure a song out of it.

mfb 01-11-2006 02:15 PM

does anybody actually come in here? HELLO!!!!!

HaVIC5 01-11-2006 02:36 PM

Well, what do you want us to say, "good job?" It's not much of a theory question at all.

mfb 01-11-2006 03:01 PM

im not reffering to my post, i know people couldnt care less, im just saying in general. w/e, just cool-off, OK?

Linkinbassist 01-11-2006 03:41 PM

does anyone know some good 6er theory sites?

bottlerocket 01-11-2006 03:53 PM

^ Any theory site with a 4 string...learn the notes, then apply them to 6ers, with your B string and C string, respectively. :)

Or C and F# if you're lame.

;)

I don't think there's any sites out there specifically designed for 6 string bass music theory. I think it's learn regular theory and just learn to apply it.

-Gav

Left Shoe 01-11-2006 04:56 PM

deleted...the theory thread? *dies*

IPolkaLikeThis! 01-11-2006 05:14 PM

waht is gods favourite chord?

G sus

:lol:

pukeboy66 01-11-2006 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=I0Play0Bass]So...who likes Cmaj? I sure do.

I like the minor scale myself, though...

-Gav[/QUOTE]

Cmaj rocks :cool:

just wrote a song in it the other day

bottlerocket 01-11-2006 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=Ibasslikethis1]waht is gods favourite chord?

G sus

:lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol:!!!

That's clever...very very clever. +1 GP.

-Gav

basgitarist 01-11-2006 05:53 PM

I like D mixolydian because I love the key of G. Oh wonderfull nice whoopyy

moghes69 01-11-2006 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Linkinbassist]does anyone know some good 6er theory sites?[/QUOTE]
its easier to just learn theory and apply it to bass. then you don't have to worry about finding info specifically geared towards the bass and having a sixer wouldn't be a problem

IPolkaLikeThis! 01-11-2006 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=I0Play0Bass]:lol:!!!

That's clever...very very clever. +1 GP.

-Gav[/QUOTE]

omfg, i got a gav point.

*runs to change user title*

enim 01-11-2006 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=Ibasslikethis1]omfg, i got a gav point.

*runs to change user title*[/QUOTE]

Why exactly is it cleaver though?

IPolkaLikeThis! 01-11-2006 07:17 PM

my guitar teacher told me that joke.

God's favourite chord = G sus (pronouced Geesus, Jesus.)

Left Shoe 01-11-2006 07:18 PM

when i first read that i was like "g sus...what, you cant just has a sus without another number"

bottlerocket 01-11-2006 07:29 PM

^ Gsus7...7 is the "number of God" or "the number of perfection."

...Is that even possible? :amaze:

-Gav

Left Shoe 01-11-2006 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=I0Play0Bass]^ Gsus7...7 is the "number of God" or "the number of perfection."

...Is that even possible? :amaze:

-Gav[/QUOTE]
technically it is. youd probably just be like G7 though.

mfb 01-11-2006 07:33 PM

mixolydian>lydian

i f***in luv it. although the lydian is cool too.

bottlerocket 01-11-2006 07:35 PM

Alright, so I'll ask a theory question;

If I diminish the 18th root fifth of the nikonianolifus mode when the temperature is approximately 303 K, solve for H, knowing that d = 1.8 x 10^4 C/J*g

-Gav

Left Shoe 01-11-2006 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=I0Play0Bass]Alright, so I'll ask a theory question;

If I diminish the 18th root fifth of the nikonianolifus mode when the temperature is approximately 303 K, solve for H, knowing that d = 1.8 x 10^4 C/J*g

-Gav[/QUOTE]
you didnt ask a question you posed a statement, but ultimately it sounds like you have been talking to that guitarist who made up words again.

Worrpigs 01-11-2006 07:37 PM

-Gav[/QUOTE]
until i saw the equation in there. i thought you were serious.:upset:
*knows no theory*

IPolkaLikeThis! 01-11-2006 07:40 PM

my atheist friend (whose nick name is g0|) ) disproved the existance of God with his formula:

[QUOTE]God = Square root of pi (plus or minus) k over -0[/QUOTE]

my favourite class that i ever failed was Algebra II, i met one of my best friends in that class. g0|) kicks so much ***.

mfb 01-11-2006 07:49 PM

-Gav[/QUOTE]
gav, you suck at theory. you cant do anything in the nikonianolifus mode on a bass. you have to be tuned if 7ths to play anything in that mode. you didnt even say if ur were playing in C major or F minor. next time do a little research.

retard!:)

*then remembers gav is going to harvard*

pukeboy66 01-12-2006 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=muthafunkabass]gav, you suck at theory. you cant do anything in the nikonianolifus mode on a bass. you have to be tuned if 7ths to play anything in that mode. you didnt even say if ur were playing in C major or F minor. next time do a little research.

retard!:)

*then remembers gav is going to harvard*[/QUOTE]

just cause hes going to harvard doesnt mean hes any good at theory :p

pukeboy66 01-12-2006 12:12 AM

i dont understand chord inversions.

do i have to stick to the patterns shown here [url]http://www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook/chapter_select.php?chapter=012[/url]

im looking at the minor triad by the way

or can i play the notes of the inversion anyway id like ...

*confused*

mfb 01-12-2006 05:54 AM

[QUOTE=Pukeboy66]just cause hes going to harvard doesnt mean hes any good at theory :p[/QUOTE]
i cant call him a retard if he's going to harvard!

pukeboy66 01-12-2006 12:02 PM

you could call him

a theory retard?

bottlerocket 01-12-2006 12:15 PM

I'm not going there, guys! I only got an interview!

Now the pressure's on to get on...:amaze:

-Gav

SixnStones 01-12-2006 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=I0Play0Bass]I'm not going there, guys! I only got an interview!

Now the pressure's on to get on...:amaze:

-Gav[/QUOTE]

get IN genius boy...

Phalanx 01-12-2006 02:36 PM

I've got a question on modes, i've been learning the scales of the C Major mode so i'm guessing they would all be the same if it was D Major or G Major etc? is that right?

My question is what the point in them is exactly, are they just a way of playing different scales in the same key, if the song was in the key of C Major, would I be able to play a D Dorian scale? why can't I play a C Dorian scale?

thanks

moghes69 01-12-2006 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Pukeboy66]i dont understand chord inversions.

do i have to stick to the patterns shown here [url]http://www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook/chapter_select.php?chapter=012[/url]

im looking at the minor triad by the way

or can i play the notes of the inversion anyway id like ...

*confused*[/QUOTE]
a chord is in inverted when a not other than the root is in the bass... the notes above the bass can be anywhere you desire... and as a tip, i suggest learning theory and applying it to the fretboard instead of learning it togeter. that'll make it easier in so many ways

moghes69 01-12-2006 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=Phalanx]I've got a question on modes, i've been learning the scales of the C Major mode so i'm guessing they would all be the same if it was D Major or G Major etc? is that right?

My question is what the point in them is exactly, are they just a way of playing different scales in the same key, if the song was in the key of C Major, would I be able to play a D Dorian scale? why can't I play a C Dorian scale?

thanks[/QUOTE]
in C major you would use a D dorian scale when the chord progression is on ii. modes are pretty much a way to make your solos and parts more tastefull than just sticking to a minor pentatonic or just the plain major scale of the key that you are in.

HaVIC5 01-12-2006 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=Phalanx]I've got a question on modes, i've been learning the scales of the C Major mode so i'm guessing they would all be the same if it was D Major or G Major etc? is that right?

thanks[/QUOTE]
The reason why you can play C Ionian (major) and D Dorian but not C dorian in that instance is because C Ionian and D Dorian have identical notes and imply a C major tonality - they are just arranged differently. C dorian both has different notes and implies a different tonality.

Think of it this way. Modes are just ways to rearrange the scale. In whatever order they're played, they will still all match the same tonal implication.