Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OFFICIAL Theory Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432696)

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 09:10 AM

thanks and what does omit mean move up a string?

mfb 01-21-2006 09:11 AM

omit means delete.

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 09:11 AM

oh yeh and when playing these scales do u have to keep the notes to the same strings when making up stuff please

basgitarist 01-21-2006 09:24 AM

Raz-The-Bass, I suggest you head over to [url]http://www.cyberfretbass.com[/url] and read the section about scales. When I read your posts I get the idea you know nothing about them.

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 12:10 PM

true and not i got almy info from there but like the tab i posted earliar they are a little vaguebut
thanks for the omit meaning

Raz-The-Bass 01-21-2006 12:25 PM

for example
the is no gdae at the side and some tabs that iv got are upside down and it says nothin about what order u play them in would u start on the A on the first string then goto the E on the second string then B on the third string or do u just use one note A E or B then move to the C?
|--A--|-----|--B--|--C--| -1st string
|--E--|-----|--F#-|--G--|
|--B--|--C--|-----|--D--|
|-----|--G--|-----|--A--| -4th string

some 1 even said to me today that they are chords

moghes69 01-21-2006 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=quatre07]if you could do me a favor and speak in the alphabet rather than frets. i'm having a hard time following what you're talking about:thumb:[/QUOTE]
for some reason i have a feeling that post was just made to get u back to 9,999. but i only did it in tab because i wasn't sure if he was at the level of reading music...

Omega Red 01-22-2006 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=moghes69]for some reason i have a feeling that post was just made to get u back to 9,999. but i only did it in tab because i wasn't sure if he was at the level of reading music...[/QUOTE]
you dont have to read music to know what an A is

HaVIC5 01-22-2006 05:17 PM

(it was a Db :thumb:)

Ahh...I love being a dick about theory.

moghes69 01-22-2006 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=quatre07]you dont have to read music to know what an A is[/QUOTE]
i meant the knowledge of letter placement on the fretboard...i didn't recall him asking for letter names so i figured tab's would suffice

Bassinator89 01-24-2006 07:52 PM

In standard notation, what is the symbol that looks like a falt+an upside down flat? and what do I play when it is next to a note?

Left Shoe 01-24-2006 08:06 PM

uhhh since i have no idea what you are talking about, i think we might need a picture

Bassinator89 01-24-2006 08:13 PM

I saw you post the cello suites, so suite 3 for cello 2nd to last bar, last note has one. They are all over the suites actually. And also, my dad will think I don't suck when I can sight read any piece of music he gives me at random...how long do you think it would take to sight read? years?

Left Shoe 01-24-2006 08:18 PM

if yuou mean cello suite 3 for cello bouree 1, then i think you are referring to the "tr" which means "trill" which means take the note that is written and find the next note up in the key signature, in this case C, and rapidly alternate between the two notes (on bass i woudl reccomend you attack the note using your right hand and then leave your first finger down and then hammer on and pull off your middle finger)

Bassinator89 01-24-2006 08:31 PM

Hmm. That confuses me. I just got the real book and while I'm not all too great in reading I'm not terrible. I just see that alot. And as far as sharps and flats, flats is one fret down from the note on standar say its Cb it would be B? and sharps is the next up? so C# is C#?

Left Shoe 01-24-2006 08:34 PM

well look at what you are referring to , does it look like a "tr"? if it doesnt disregard what i said.

and yes if its sharp go up one half step and if its flat go down one.

jeff berlin (famous bass player you should check out) has this shirt that says " Fb=E"

Omega Red 01-24-2006 08:35 PM

or Db

Bassinator89 01-24-2006 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=Left Shoe]well look at what you are referring to , does it look like a "tr"? if it doesnt disregard what i said.

jeff berlin (famous bass player you should check out) has this shirt that says " Fb=E"[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've seen that in my bp mag :naughty:

moghes69 01-25-2006 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Bassinator89]In standard notation, what is the symbol that looks like a falt+an upside down flat? and what do I play when it is next to a note?[/QUOTE]
possibly the natural symbol... tha means that if the note is flatted/sharped before that, then it goes back to natural

Spencer 01-27-2006 09:03 PM

Theory Questions

I'm takeing a music theory class at my high school. I have only been in the class 2 days we learned to read sheet music bass and treble clef on the first day. On the second day we learned the circle of 5th's. I understand both of these. So I have been trying to learn the circle of fith's forever, then one day in this class I get it.

But now that I know what they are what can I do with it? I mean he explained it but I wasn't paying attention.

By The Way Im gonna use this thread as a place to put my music theory questions' through the rest of the semester.

Thonk 01-27-2006 09:06 PM

There's a thread for this theory questions.

Edit: Have fun. [url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432696[/url]

Chameleon 01-27-2006 09:11 PM

First off, I think there is already a music theory thread somewhere for general questions...

But who cares, until they make me a mod i'm not only going to not nag you, i'm going to encourage you! Yay for illegal threads!

To answer your question: Circle of fifths is useful for both playing and learning. When you're trying to get to grips with the relationships of keys to one another, and with chords to one another the circle of fifths is really helpful.

Key signatures for example, are all based entirely on the CoF's.

Playing wise, a lot of chord progressions are based around the CoFs. If you think about this progression:

Am - Dm - G(7) - C(maj7) - F(maj7) - Bdim - E(sus4)

You may recognise it in the right key as I Will Survive by Gloria somebody... but it's used in millions of songs. That follows the circle of fifths with the exception of the Fmaj7 to the B diminished chord.

You should have been paying attention in class though.

Aukai 01-27-2006 09:13 PM

I'll give one quick example of how I learned to use it.

Other than a reference for what key your in, you can use it to transcribe songs to different keys. For example. If your playing 12 bar blues in C and want to change it to 12 bar blues in F...you know that on your circle, F is is a fourth away from C. So to transcribe it, move all your other chords a forth over. If you wanted your 12 bar blues in Bb, you know Bb is a fourth away from F, so once again, move everything a fourth.

Spencer 01-27-2006 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=Thonk]There's a thread for this theory questions.

Edit: Have fun. [url]http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432696[/url][/QUOTE]

ok thanks found nothing about the circle there.

Bassinator89 01-27-2006 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=moghes69]possibly the natural symbol... tha means that if the note is flatted/sharped before that, then it goes back to natural[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats it, I asked my bass teacher today and he told me whatsup.

Spencer 01-27-2006 09:21 PM

thanks for all the help. Its just like when im reading it I can't like, understand it. When I read all I see is blah blah blah. I looked it up online it was hard to understand, asked my dad same thing looked in my scale book still don't get it. So I know what it is but not how to use it. I guess I will just play around and try to figure it out myself. Maby I should just ask my music teacher monday he makes it so easy.

EDIT: Aukai you made it a little easier when you said transcribing. I think its just that im looking for the wrong answer.

Thonk 01-27-2006 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=Spencer]ok thanks found nothing about the circle there.[/QUOTE]
Maybe because no one asked about it yet? That is where you come in.

Here's a very usefull resource...It has a little section on the circle of 5th's..Not much though. :-|
[url]http://homepage.floodcity.net/users/neo/BCS.pdf[/url]

Naveed Afzal 01-27-2006 09:54 PM

The circle of 5ths ... i used it to memorize key signatures...

sometimes when i decide to refresh my library of scales, i use the circle of 5ths to get me around them.

Chaos 01-27-2006 10:39 PM

I don't understand how the circle of fifths works, at all. But I get by.

it's pretty sad considering I'm into my second year of theory.

Spencer 01-27-2006 11:02 PM

I don't know how they work but I know one way of finding them.

First start with C this note has 0 sharps.

Next count 5 notes forward G now count one note back wich is F so G has one sharp and its F.

Next Count 5 spaces from G which is D now count one space back which is C. D has two sharps F and C

Next count 5 spaces from D which is A now count one space back which is G.
A has three sharps F, C and G

Next count 5 spaces from A which is E now count one space back which is D.
E has four sharps F, C, G, and D. Get

repete the process clockwise untill you get to F, since F is already a sharp its key is F#.

Last is C#

Now what I don't get, is why every chart diffrent from the one I learned. I learned 8 keys and the charts all have 12.

Did I get taught wrong?

chelsea713 01-27-2006 11:06 PM

ok well the circle (or line, but ill show that later) is good for a lot of things....one: the most general use, determining the sharps or flats in a piece (duh?) look at the key sign (either memorize their names or count and then match) and then those sharps or flats= sharps or flats in scale
two: Transposition, into a different key, but thats also using technical note names (tonic, supertonic, mediant, subdominant, dominant, sub mediant, leading tone, tonic)
Three: Also used for determining the key of a piece, by looking at the reoccuring accidentals and then marking in a key
Four: Relative Minor Key association

uhhhh...theres so much that ties into it...its really just kind of like a guidline to music keys and those were a few examples....anyway, you said the circle of fifths was hard to get, well im in level 5 Historic Theory and just last year i got it...until then ive been using the line of uhhh, keys? i unno what its actually called, anyway, it looks like this:

For sharps

F# C(#) G D A E B
6 0/7 1 2 3 4 5

For Flats

Bb Eb Ab Db Gb C(b) F
2 3 4 5 6 0/7 1

Ok practically, you start at C (no sharps or flats) you count right, everything to the right of C is natural, Everything ot the left is sharp or flat.....the number underneath is the number of sharps or flats in that key....get it???

^^^ i dont know, that really worked for me, also drawing a keyboard along with helps too

I hope you have fun learning theory lol, i love it!

Naveed Afzal 01-27-2006 11:08 PM

no... but keep in mind when dealing with shaprs the 7th degree is always your new sharp, and when dealing with flats the 3rd degree is the new flat and he new flat is always the next key...

going in the order of flats, it goes like a Bass... F B E A D G C etc...
theres some other little quickies i figured out that helped me.

chelsea713 01-27-2006 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=Naveed Afzal]going in the order of flats, it goes like a Bass... F B E A D G C etc...
theres some other little quickies i figured out that helped me.[/QUOTE]

uhhh the order of bass flats is BEADGCF.....the order of the names of the key sign for those flats is FBEADGC....for example, the KEY of F has one flat called B or the KEY of B flat has 2 flats called B and E

Spencer 01-27-2006 11:17 PM

K this is what I was taught [I made this just now]

[URL=http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=circleof5ths2yk.jpg][IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1161/circleof5ths2yk.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

basgitarist 01-28-2006 05:17 AM

[url]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/lesson.php?lessonid=54[/url]

I wrote a lesson about this subject months ago...

Soulfly666 01-28-2006 05:19 AM

[QUOTE=Spencer]K this is what I was taught [I made this just now]

[URL=http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=circleof5ths2yk.jpg][IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1161/circleof5ths2yk.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

Are you guys only learning the sharps?

Chameleon 01-28-2006 05:26 AM

[QUOTE=Spencer]thanks for all the help. Its just like when im reading it I can't like, understand it. When I read all I see is blah blah blah. I looked it up online it was hard to understand, asked my dad same thing looked in my scale book still don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Eh...attention deficit disorder? :lol:

HaVIC5 01-28-2006 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=Left Shoe]well look at what you are referring to , does it look like a "tr"? if it doesnt disregard what i said.

jeff berlin (famous bass player you should check out) has this shirt that says " Fb=E"[/QUOTE]
There's a shirt I've seen that says "The Musician's Theory of Relativity: E=Fb"

Spencer 01-28-2006 10:26 AM

hmm I dunno maby he will teach us the flats monday...

lol yea I probably do have a little add. Tho im good at reading books sometimes I can't understand technical crap on computers at all.

BassVirtuoso 01-28-2006 10:56 AM

Every musician shirt at my school is worn by some band geek. I tend to stay away from them.