Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Home Recording Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581762)

Moseph 05-18-2010 04:08 PM

[quote=Xomblies;17989468]i hope i don't sound like i'm rambling or have lost you yet, but the part you REALLY have to pay attention during is REAMPING. so you have your Di signal going out one of the outputs of your interface, set the fader in pro tools or whatever program you're using to 0 and keep the out volume at 0 as well. use a trs to xlr female from the interface to the di box and

SET THE DI BOX PAD TO -40DB this is so you don't destroy your amp

the reason you use the di box backwards has to do with impedance. your guitar is instrument level, your interface is line level, the di when in the set up properly keeps things at the right impedance and saves your gear from blowing up. there's more to it that i'm sure an electrician can tell you but for now that's all you really need to know.

mic up your amp the way you want it and press play :)[/quote]

Couple of issues here:

(01) Traditionally, a DI box changes between mic-level and instrument-level signals. Some devices will have additional line outs (and the specific one you recommend might, I'm not particularly familiar with it), but many will not.

(02) You're not going to "blow up" an amp in a reamp-situation. At least not the circuit itself. It's true that you might be sending an unexpected hi-gain signal out through the interface output into the amplifier. This might cause some damaging speaker excursion, but unless something is critically wrong with the circuitry, the amplifier itself shouldn't catch fire or anything. The simple solution to protect your speaker is to keep the input gain on the guitar amp low. For logarithmic pots, you might want to turn down the output gain from the interface as well (note that this will hurt your S/N ratio).

Kuffuffled 05-18-2010 05:35 PM

Plankis, suggest some good Lepou vst's

I tried some like the peckerhead and razor something or other but they sounded pretty bad

Plankis 05-18-2010 05:42 PM

[url]http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/[/url]

You've tried Legion, Lextac, Le456? They get lots of love.

It's not my song but the guitars are Lextac, a really good tone imo.
[url]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=960121&songID=9125152[/url]

Xomblies 05-18-2010 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=Moseph;17989523]Couple of issues here:

(01) Traditionally, a DI box changes between mic-level and instrument-level signals. Some devices will have additional line outs (and the specific one you recommend might, I'm not particularly familiar with it), but many will not.

(02) You're not going to "blow up" an amp in a reamp-situation. At least not the circuit itself. It's true that you might be sending an unexpected hi-gain signal out through the interface output into the amplifier. This might cause some damaging speaker excursion, but unless something is critically wrong with the circuitry, the amplifier itself shouldn't catch fire or anything. The simple solution to protect your speaker is to keep the input gain on the guitar amp low. For logarithmic pots, you might want to turn down the output gain from the interface as well (note that this will hurt your S/N ratio).[/QUOTE]

the circuit doesn't catch fire... per say, your tubes and tranny go to hell, not right away, but over a few days of use it basically can turn into a 300 dollar mistake. As far as the livewire box, it goes from instrument to mic/line it doesn't matter which you choose. i've done both ways and had the same results

Kuffuffled 05-18-2010 06:10 PM

My bad I was talking about Acmebargig, does they have anything good?

I'll dl the ones you mentioned for sure this song is pretty good, the changes are odd though

Plankis 05-18-2010 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=viciouscycle;17989735]My bad I was talking about Acmebargig, does they have anything good?

I'll dl the ones you mentioned for sure this song is pretty good, the changes are odd though[/QUOTE]

I've heard some cool djenty clips but that was way back. Then Lepou released these amps and destroyed everyone.

Kuffuffled 05-18-2010 07:06 PM

Did you know of any good vst's for effects, chorus delay etc? Guitar rig seems to poop on tone a little

benfan 05-19-2010 03:26 AM

Would it be better to use something lke this than go straight in via a pod -

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Studio/Processing/Audio-MIDI-Interfaces/Presonus-Interfaces/8765-/PreSonus-FP10-FireWire-Interface-with-FREE-Steinberg-Cubase-LE?utm_source=googleproduct

Im stil unsure as to how the setup would go when you start putting things in front of your computer.
Lets see if have this right -

Guitar -> Modelling/effects unit -> Interface -> Pod -> Computer/DAW

Is that right? My understanding is that the interface is your soundcard and A/D converter and the Pod processes the signal to record onto whatever software you are using.

benfan 05-19-2010 03:27 AM

Would it be better to use something lke this than go straight in via a pod -

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Studio/Processing/Audio-MIDI-Interfaces/Presonus-Interfaces/8765-/PreSonus-FP10-FireWire-Interface-with-FREE-Steinberg-Cubase-LE?utm_source=googleproduct

Im stil unsure as to how the setup would go when you start putting things in front of your computer.

Is that right? My understanding is that the interface is your soundcard and A/D converter and the Pod processes the signal to record onto whatever software you are using.

Moseph 05-19-2010 06:15 AM

[quote=Xomblies;17989722]the circuit doesn't catch fire... per say, your tubes and tranny go to hell, not right away, but over a few days of use it basically can turn into a 300 dollar mistake. As far as the livewire box, it goes from instrument to mic/line it doesn't matter which you choose. i've done both ways and had the same results[/quote]

This shouldn't be the case. Small-signal outputs feeding small-signal inputs just flat out shouldn't hurt anything. Ever. Guitar amps expect high-impedance signals: at worst, things would just sound crappy/noisy, unless you blow the speaker cone.

Now, it's potentially a different story for large-signal outputs (amplifier or speaker outputs). But those are wires that shouldn't ever be crossed.

Moseph 05-19-2010 06:20 AM

[quote=benfan;17990533]Would it be better to use something lke this than go straight in via a pod -

Is that right? My understanding is that the interface is your soundcard and A/D converter and the Pod processes the signal to record onto whatever software you are using.[/quote]

Adding an interface to the chain would improve your versatility, particularly with something like the FP10 that has a lot more I/O compared to a Pod.

However, the chain should look something like this:

Guitar -[audio]-> stompboxes/POD -[audio]-> Interface -[Firewire]-> Computer/DAW -[Firewire]-> Interface -[audio]-> Speakers

Note that you can also do the re-amping by feeding the Interface's outputs (preferably some of the multi-use outputs, so the mains can still be attached to speakers) to a guitar amp (preferably with a passive DI as per the previous posts about re-amping).

Plankis 05-19-2010 06:41 AM

[QUOTE=viciouscycle;17989876]Did you know of any good vst's for effects, chorus delay etc? Guitar rig seems to poop on tone a little[/QUOTE]

I'd probably use the ones that comes with the DAW. I've found them to be good enough for my needs. I don't really use chorus and stuff like that so I haven't searched very thoroughly. If I did I would use the ones on my Axe-fx anyway.
Kjaerhus Classic has some cool effects and compressors that you could check out.

Xomblies 05-19-2010 10:03 AM

guitar> fx unit to pod or pod to fx unit (but i can't see why you'd use both) >interface > daw

the pod is stil an analog signal, your interface will convert it from analog to digital. i like that presonus firewire interface too, it's basic, simple and the preamps aren't bad, they're not good, but they're not bad either

Kuffuffled 05-19-2010 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=Plankis;17990595]I'd probably use the ones that comes with the DAW. I've found them to be good enough for my needs. I don't really use chorus and stuff like that so I haven't searched very thoroughly. If I did I would use the ones on my Axe-fx anyway.
Kjaerhus Classic has some cool effects and compressors that you could check out.[/QUOTE]

Reaper's sound fine, but there's no input / output gain so they clip most of the time

I'll check those out though

Xomblies 05-19-2010 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Moseph;17990585]This shouldn't be the case. Small-signal outputs feeding small-signal inputs just flat out shouldn't hurt anything. Ever. Guitar amps expect high-impedance signals: at worst, things would just sound crappy/noisy, unless you blow the speaker cone.

Now, it's potentially a different story for large-signal outputs (amplifier or speaker outputs). But those are wires that shouldn't ever be crossed.[/QUOTE]

it shouldn't according to you, but it is the case, if you had a tube amp, or re amped guitars for more than a day you'd see what i'm talking about.

you wouldn't want this kid blowing his tubes and tranny because of what you don't "think" should happen opposed to the advice of someone who knows what happens when you don't re-amp properly

Moseph 05-19-2010 01:09 PM

[quote=Xomblies;17990880]it shouldn't according to you, but it is the case, if you had a tube amp, or re amped guitars for more than a day you'd see what i'm talking about.

you wouldn't want this kid blowing his tubes and tranny because of what you don't "think" should happen opposed to the advice of someone who knows what happens when you don't re-amp properly[/quote]

Right, and I'm saying that if you're blowing up your amp, you're not re-amping properly. Re-amping is fundamentally no different than flat-out playing a guitar through the amp. At least it shouldn't be. Small-signal inputs don't cause burn out in well-designed circuits.

Xomblies 05-19-2010 01:09 PM

ah, i didn't quite comprehend what you were saying

Moseph 05-19-2010 01:34 PM

[quote=Xomblies;17990987]ah, i didn't quite comprehend what you were saying[/quote]

Yeah, the "small signal" part is really important. If there's a power amplifier or other large-signal amplification happening on the input of the guitar amp, all bets are off. If you connected the power amp's output into the guitar amp, that's a completely different story. I wouldn't be surprised if the headphone output on some units was capable of doing this as well. But the mains on unpowered mixers, and also the mains on all audio interfaces I'm aware of are line-level outputs. This is also the case for aux outputs, sub-outputs, "multi-purpose" outputs, and any other balanced TRS output connections I can think of. I cannot think of a single piece of equipment using XLR outputs that weren't line or mic level outputs. In my experience, powered outputs will have speakon, twisted pair copper (i.e., "speaker wire"), or (very rarely) banana plug outputs.

Line level outputs, mic level outputs, and instrument level outputs (duh) shouldn't have any ill effects on the circuit (tube or not), provided it's well designed. You might see problems if you've gone mucking around with the tube structure in your amp: that's potentially a bad design at work.

This is not to say you can't blow a speaker if you crank the amp up too loud, but that's no different than if you do the same thing playing guitar. I'm also not saying you won't have noise issues (ground hum in particular), distortion problems (you might hit the voltage rails on the input), or just plain old [I]bad[/I] sounding audio on the input because of a mismatched impedance, mismatched balanced, or some other external condition influencing your signal. But those are distinct issues, and most importantly, they shouldn't be damaging the amp circuit itself.

Xomblies 05-19-2010 01:57 PM

it was one of the outs from my digi003 (not the main monitor outs) straight to the input, so i'm really confused.

what it may have been was i had the signal running REALLY hot on the way out (unity in PT). Considering i also had to replace my preamp tubes which were already quite old, it may have just been what sent them over the edge, i can't say WHY my tranny went out though, maybe it was just poopty electrical at the rehearsal space, if someone farted too loud the lights would dim. Either way i encountered this problem while reamping and caution should be used when running anything besides physically running a guitar into a guitar amp

Convectuoso 05-19-2010 07:34 PM

My reamping experience the other day was arduous also.

Lots of hum once sending the lineout directly into the amp as some of my tutors even suggested ('it'll get lost in the mix don't worry' they said, pfft). So messed about turning the output of pro tools down and the amp input gain down. No luck. Running out of studio time and I start rummaging about in one of the gear cupboards and specifically to find a reverse DI box that apparently we don't have.

I find this weird *** box called a Line Level Shifter. Basically it takes +4dbu signals and drops them to -10dbV level. PROBLEM SOLVED! It's essentially a pad I guess. I now wonder if I can actually do this with pro tools. I know you can change the input calibration but I dunno about line outs though.

Anyways, never reamp without a reverse DI box or similar!

Xomblies 05-20-2010 09:59 AM

ya, all you gotta do is run a di box in reverse with a pad :)

benfan 05-20-2010 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=Moseph;17990589]Adding an interface to the chain would improve your versatility, particularly with something like the FP10 that has a lot more I/O compared to a Pod.

However, the chain should look something like this:

Guitar -[audio]-> stompboxes/POD -[audio]-> Interface -[Firewire]-> Computer/DAW -[Firewire]-> Interface -[audio]-> Speakers

Note that you can also do the re-amping by feeding the Interface's outputs (preferably some of the multi-use outputs, so the mains can still be attached to speakers) to a guitar amp (preferably with a passive DI as per the previous posts about re-amping).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. So say if i was to have something like an Axe FX Ultra unit or another rack mounted modelling unit, that would go at the stompbox/POD stage? Are the outs on these still guitar audio jacks?

Also, i am right in thinking that the interface contains the soundcard which means i wont need a computer with a built in?

Xomblies 05-20-2010 12:50 PM

they can be for instrument or line level to the interface, i think considering what happened to my amp, it may only be an issue with the way the interface outputs signal. I've never encountered an issue on the way in.

as for the "interface" yes, basically whenever someone says that interface it's safe to assume an external sound card via usb or firewire.

the only case it wouldn't apply would be if you were using an interface like apogee DX series or a digi192 and other like interfaces, for example:
pro tools HD uses TDM cards that go in pci-e x1 (or x16) slots that connect to the interface via digicables. so it's like a sound card with it's own ram that connects to analog to digital converters which are external.

i won't trouble you too much with this but you get the idea, most consumer level interfaces are all inclusive; A/D, D/A converters with built in preamps and a asio soundcard all through usb or firewire

Moseph 05-20-2010 01:50 PM

The signal chain I posted was based on the assumption that you had a guitar, a Pod, a FP10, a computer, and speakers. Basically, the setup I believe you talked about having (either now or soon). That's why I listed "Firewire" specifically. In retrospect that could have been clearer: I probably should have been more consistent about listing specific devices or not.

In the case of Xomblies' amp biting the dust, I don't really know what might have happened there. Everything I know about modern electronic designs says that a line level device shouldn't blow up an otherwise perfectly normal amp circuit expecting an instrument level device.

My guess would be that it's tied to hardware failure, and possibly unfortunate coincidence.

I can't think of any particular reason that the power transformer and the guitar input would necessarily even be related to each other, beyond the obvious fact of "usage in the same circuit." The transformer powers the voltage rails that feed the amplifier circuit. The input gives the amplifier circuit something to do. I don't know of any designs where their interaction is beneficial when you've got a wall-power connection (granted my lowly BSE might not have covered that niche operation). If somebody has any further insight about that, I'd love to hear it.

benfan 05-20-2010 02:11 PM

Yeah dude i got that i just wanted to be sure. If i got the FP10 i wouldnt need the pod then, unless it was to use the amp models on it.
Id also need a firewire to usb hub i assume as my laptop doesnt have firewire ports on it.

Moseph 05-20-2010 08:38 PM

[quote=benfan;17992626]Id also need a firewire to usb hub i assume as my laptop doesnt have firewire ports on it.[/quote]

Those don't actually exist (though you have the right idea there). USB and Firewire are distinct protocols.

Hopefully you've got either a PCMCIA or PCexpress cardslot. You'll need to get a card to fill that slot that provides a Firewire port for you. Don't go for the USB/Firewire combos, and make sure it's Firewire 400 (most devices aren't Firewire 800, and not all 800 cards are backwards-compatible). It's also strongly recommended you make sure the card as a Texas Insturment (i.e., "TI") chipset.

benfan 05-21-2010 02:17 PM

http://www.partsdata.co.uk/PCMCIA_PC-Card_Firewire_400_IEEE1394a_chip_TI_PC-CARD-12120.html

Something like that?
Can that send data from the fp10 to the laptop and then back again through the fp10 to the speakers?

I think iv got a mild understanding of what my setup will look like now, so thanks for all the help so far guys.

Moseph 05-21-2010 02:56 PM

[quote=benfan;17994812]http://www.partsdata.co.uk/PCMCIA_PC-Card_Firewire_400_IEEE1394a_chip_TI_PC-CARD-12120.html

Something like that?[/quote]

Depending on your laptop, maybe. Assuming you've got a PCMCIA port, then that should be a good pick. However, some of the newer laptops don't have PCMCIA ports and instead only have PCexpress ports (mine is one of them). Do a double check on your particular computer so you don't buy the wrong thing.

[quote=benfan;17994812]
Can that send data from the fp10 to the laptop and then back again through the fp10 to the speakers?[/quote]

Yes. Both Firewire and USB are bi-directional protocols (that's why you don't need two cables to use an external hard drive: you can read/write using the one existing port). The FP10 uses Firewire, so it both sends and receives data. This includes the speaker audio outputs.

benfan 05-21-2010 03:18 PM

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_7735G-654G32Mn_Laptop_LX.PC70X.007/version.asp

Iv got one of those on order but it looks like it doesnt have either.
Do Usb/firewire hubs not do the same thing?

EDIT: Are USB interfaces worth the money, thats the only other route if i cant use firewire with my computer.

Xomblies 05-21-2010 04:10 PM

if you're just doing guitar you won't need a firewire interface. usb would do just fine