Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

AmericanWeiner 01-25-2006 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=terry_bozzio_wanna_be]recommecnd be some some heavy funk (i am just recently getting into it so i kinda wanna know-prog rock is to dream therter; than heavy fun is to ____)[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Funk Metal/Funk Rock or Classic Funk?

Zefie 01-26-2006 01:49 AM

[SIZE="4"][B][U]Whatevuritakes[/U][/B][/SIZE]
Fusion/Funk

[B]Songs[/B]
Absolutely
A Little More Time

Awesome band hailing from the Philippines. Go Google them or something...

terry_bozzio_wanna_be 01-27-2006 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=AmericanWeiner]Do you mean Funk Metal/Funk Rock or Classic Funk?[/QUOTE]
im not quite sure, i ran across it but what i think im looking for might be any of those, if you could recommend me a few from each, maby i could make a bit more informed decision

apache 01-30-2006 11:05 AM

ignore this.

Shaft! 02-04-2006 07:54 AM

Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny
"Beyond the Missouri Sky"
Recommend pretty much every track on this C.D. It's all instrumental, and I think that it's brilliant. Pat Metheny primarily uses acoustic guitars throughout the entire thing, except for an Ibanez Artcore during scattered tracks and Charlie Haden is a very good upright bassist. My jazz band teacher recommended that I listen to it, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
My favorite track is "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" in case anyone wanted to take my recommendation.

Permanent Solution 02-10-2006 04:22 PM

Ok, so I listened to some Latin Jazz by Paquito D'Rivera, and it was the first Jazz I've ever listened to and liked, so...what are some similar artists I might get into? I've been digging Latin music so anything with that sort of influence is a good start.

jazzlist 02-16-2006 10:51 AM

For Jazz lovers only ...

Hi - I'm new here and thank you for letting me post. I see I'm among some knowlegable music buffs. Don't know if I can be of any help or if someone would be interested, but I have a site where we recommend [B][U]Great Mainstream Jazz [/U][/B]to buy. This is not a freebee or a scam, just great suggestions we're sure you could stand. We favor the [B][FONT="Times New Roman"]Straight-Ahead Genre [/FONT][/B]with over 1,000 Superb Recordings on our [B]LIST.[/B] We welcome you to come on by and say Hi, and visit the Jazz world from years gone by. Thanks much/ Jim S.
[url]http://freewebs.com/jazzlist[/url]

White 03-07-2006 09:54 AM

Isnt that like not aloud here haha.

Well hey guys, this is actually my first time in the Jazz/Funk forums. and I listen to alot of Prog Metal. Symphonic Metal. and that sotta stuff, but I also listen to alot of other music genreas, and latly I am wanting to learn Funk (Im a drummer) So what would be a good place to start???. Like whats some easy FUnk to play???? and thanks all help is appreciated.

D1ck Cheney's D1ck 03-10-2006 12:28 AM

[b]jaga Jazzist[/b]!

rokaholic 03-14-2006 07:14 PM

if your like me i like organ in my jazz music so for anyone who wants some organ fix with their popularity status (how difficult it will be to get a cd)
- Medeski Martin and Wood (popular in stores, on sites and p2p if you download) reccomended cd's - Shackman, Uninvisible, It's A Jungle in Here
- Joshua Redman reccomended - Momentum (downloadable but difficult, in stores most likely)
- Charles Earland - Black Talk! is all i have(hard to get, try online stores, some stores might have him)
- Jimmy Smith anything (popular, in music stores)
- Joey DeFrancesco don't know, but try(in most music stores)
- John Scofield has some stuff with organ - try A Go Go, he did it with MMW, also Uberjam is good (popular and in stores)
- Modern Groove Syndicate (free live shows from [url]www.archive.org[/url])

We_Love_Lime 03-14-2006 08:37 PM

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The Meters

Everything and anything[/COLOR]

rokaholic 03-17-2006 03:54 PM

can someone reccomend me some stuff that is similar to the cd "Hot Rats" by Frank Zappa, i really like the feel, and the music in this album, i've listened to some other zappa stuff, but the vocals are REALLY wierd, and they weren't that great of cds, but Hot Rats is sweeeet

FistfulOfSteel 03-17-2006 05:56 PM

Can anyone recommend me some great jazz guitarists/albums?

jazzfromhell 03-17-2006 06:12 PM

Django Reinhardt - The Complete Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order (5 Disc Set, but it's JSP so the MSRP is under $30)
Charlie Christian - The Genius of Electric Guitar (4 Disc Set, pretty overpriced, I think the MSRP is $50, but it's worth it if you've got the money)

landstander 03-24-2006 01:37 PM

Barry Goldberg...
He just released a very good album. Sweet Home Chicago.

Det_Nosnip 04-02-2006 01:19 PM

^^ Hey, you're from Chicago? I'm probably going to be moving up there next month, would you mind telling me what to check out, music-wise? Groups, clubs, etc...I'd greatly appreciate it, as I'm going to be going there almost completely without a clue. :lol:

I've been really interested in the Keith Jarrett piano trio with Jack Dejohnett and Gary Peacock...which album do you guys best reflects them as a group?

pianoplyr77 04-02-2006 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Det_Nosnip]^^ Hey, you're from Chicago? I'm probably going to be moving up there next month, would you mind telling me what to check out, music-wise? Groups, clubs, etc...I'd greatly appreciate it, as I'm going to be going there almost completely without a clue. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hey I'm from Chicago

There are some pretty good clubs in Evanston, right outside the city. Bobby Broom, a guitar player, is a name to look for there.

The Jazz Showcase is also a great club. I think they have shows like two times a week. Google it and I'm sure you could find a schedual.

I'm wanting to buy some modern big band stuff, I've always been geared towards combos and want something different. Could someone point me in the right direction?

SirPsych0 04-07-2006 02:15 PM

Tower of Power

Krazy Bass 04-17-2006 08:50 PM

hey,
i'm jsut starting to go into this whole jazz thing and i was wondering if you guys could recomend some new orlean's style jazz (preferably instrumental).

I'm honestly not to big on horns and I'm looking for something guitar/drums/bass/piano oriented.

thanks.

Seafroggys 04-21-2006 11:20 PM

K for my drum lessons I need some bebop songs that I can play along with, trading fours, doing certain solo licks, and just straight ahead swinging.

Prevarbly nothing too slow, nothing with brushes, and nothing insanely fast.

jazzfromhell 04-22-2006 01:05 AM

[QUOTE=Krazy Bass]hey,
i'm jsut starting to go into this whole jazz thing and i was wondering if you guys could recomend some new orlean's style jazz (preferably instrumental).

I'm honestly not to big on horns and I'm looking for something guitar/drums/bass/piano oriented.

thanks.[/QUOTE]

No horns? For Dixieland? WTF?

Anyway, whether you want horns or not, this is your man:

[img]http://www.yaletownview.ca/contents/yaletown-2005-08/001/1-louis-armstrong.gif[/img]

Pick up the Complete Hot Fives and Hot Sevens pronto, I might put it on the jazz mailing list. Some of the most important recordings in jazz history, perhaps the most.

Also:

Jelly Roll Morton
King Oliver
Sidney Bechet

That should do an excellent job of getting the ball rolling. All of them include horns, but if you like jazz, I don't know how you can listen to them horns and not enjoy! :thumb:

gaslight 04-26-2006 02:20 AM

If anyone is looking for some nice, relaxing jazz I really suggest the album "The Thing To Do" by Blue Mitchell, I've been really enjoying it ever since I heard it.

FishSauce 04-28-2006 08:54 PM

Erm, don't know if this is the right place but I need some "simple jazz instrumentals" for my movie assignment for English.

For example: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnPU7Ca-KJ4&search=myspace%20the%20movie[/url]

During the credits scene of that movie. I need something like that. Thanks a bunch to whoever could help.

Noyana 06-06-2006 09:38 AM

what would you guys suggest for jazz piano?

it doesn't have to be solo - it could be with a band etc.

i just started getting into jazz piano and i don't really have any idea about who to listen to

Rams 06-06-2006 11:52 AM

I'd get some Duke Ellington, Bill Evans, Thelonius Monk, Oscar Peterson, and (if you are adventurous) Cecil Taylor to start off with. That should cover a wide array of jazz piano to start with. Take what you like and continue from there.

Patrick85 06-15-2006 09:12 AM

[SIZE="4"][B][U]Eric Boff[/U][/B][/SIZE]
Jazz

I heard him play near my school in Michigan. He's got lots of the girls diggin his songs. He's been gaining a large following and i read is recording his first album.

Southern Comfort and Young World are my two favorite songs of his they are his most popular. I like the grooves he gets going and he is excellent on the guitar.
Definitely someone I think has unlimited potential. on his myspace it says he writes 4 songs a week...for all you artists out there. is that good or bad?

his music is up at
[URL="http://www.myspace.com/ericboff"]www.myspace.com/ericboff[/URL]

Mispeled 06-16-2006 04:13 PM

Bob Baldwin is a pretty fantastic jazz pianist; he writes very ambient sounding jazz (all instrumental except some non-lyrical singing). I was actually shooting a jazz concert last year and he was one of the people that performed. It was pretty fantastic, it was just him, a bassist, and a drummer (and a female vocallist on a few of the songs).

So yeah, you should check him out, it's really great smooth jazz. His website is [url]http://www.bobbaldwin.com/[/url]

ihatemybass 06-23-2006 06:20 PM

Can someone recommend me some energetic jazz?

Joseph India 06-23-2006 09:59 PM

Well it depends on how energetic you want.
Art Tatum ---- has a whole lot of energy. I would also add him to the list of GREAT PIANTISTS that Rams started above.
Bebop is energetic. Check out Charlie Parker tunes like Koko, Kim, Anthropology... many others.
If you can handle dissonant and extremely energetic stuff here is what you want. Some of this has been called "energy music"
Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor, John Coltrane (albums from '65 and after), Pharoah Sanders (early stuff), Peter Brotzmann

jazzfromhell 06-23-2006 11:24 PM

Whoa, Rams made a piano list without Art Tatum? Don't mean to be an ***, but come on...Tatum's the king of the piano.