Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

Zappa 10-02-2005 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=Shadows Rise]My guitar teacher has gotten me interested in Chick Corea. Could someone recommend me some good songs by them? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

La Fiesta/Sometime Ago
Spain
Light as a Feather
Return to Forever
Medieval Overture

Grey Incision 10-03-2005 07:36 PM

Could someone recommend me something with cool jazz drumming and jazz guitar?

Flamencology 10-03-2005 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=Grey Incision]Could someone recommend me something with cool jazz drumming and jazz guitar?[/QUOTE]

Brian Blade Fellowship

TemperamentalGoat 10-05-2005 12:55 PM

Random recommendation: Check out Keith Jarrett's inside out. Awesome improv jazz trio.

deadvoodoodoll 10-06-2005 08:22 PM

Could someone recommend me some acid jazz?

Ulysses 10-10-2005 07:36 AM

The Brand New Heavies are a decent Acid-Jazz group.

camelfarmer 10-17-2005 01:40 AM

Someone tell me (or link me to posts with) smooth jazz reccomendations. I read through the first few 3-4 pages but didnt find anything. Thanks.

camelfarmer 10-18-2005 10:11 AM

Oh be like that, and what the hell is bop?

funkybass415 10-19-2005 05:25 PM

as far as funky jazz goes, ya can't miss:

Lonnie Liston Smith
Lou Donaldson
Groove Holmes

tomtom 10-21-2005 06:50 PM

would anybody consider The Cat Empire Jazz or Funk, cause whatever they are, they're very unique, and i LOVE them

magicbus 10-25-2005 12:28 AM

Can somebody recommend me something like [I]Passion, Grace, and Fire[/I], except slower? Like some relaxing jazzy acoustic music, spanish flavor or not, doesn't matter. Thanks.

Okonkwo 10-25-2005 05:41 PM

Not that this has anything to do with any of the above posts, but for future reference, the best orchestrated jazz album of all time is The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady, by Charles Mingus. Definitely the most brilliant album I've ever heard.

Zappa 10-25-2005 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=Okonkwo]Not that this has anything to do with any of the above posts, but for future reference, the best orchestrated jazz album of all time is The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady, by Charles Mingus. Definitely the most brilliant album I've ever heard.[/QUOTE]

That is a great album, but asserting that it is "the best orchestrated jazz album of all time" seems a little ridiculous to me.

Tele_Dude 10-29-2005 02:26 PM

Are there any sites with Funk-chords tabbed? I suck at notes, and I dont have a teacher:upset:

AmericanWeiner 10-29-2005 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=magicbus]Can somebody recommend me something like [I]Passion, Grace, and Fire[/I], except slower? Like some relaxing jazzy acoustic music, spanish flavor or not, doesn't matter. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Try maybe Acoustic Alchemy.. I don't really know. Maybe Wes Montgomery?

(...is PGF a Mahavishnu album or is it that DiMeola/DeLucia/McLaughlin one?)

Alright...here's what I'm looking for- something jazzy and funky, but taking influence (or influencing) modern jungle electronica. That is: Fast funk/break beats with slower 1/2 speed ambient melodies and/or grooves.

halfdeadhippo 10-29-2005 02:53 PM

[quote](...is PGF a Mahavishnu album or is it that DiMeola/DeLucia/McLaughlin one?)[/quote]It is a guitar trio album, sir. :thumb:

Ill Mitch 11-01-2005 09:42 PM

[SIZE=4][U][B]Dave Weckl Band[/B][/U][/SIZE]
[B]Jazz/Fusion[/B]

[B]Recommended songs -[/B]
Tempo de Festival
The Chicken
Toby's Blues
Watch Your Step
Chain Reaction

[B]Recommended album[/B] - Live: And Very Plugged In

[B]If you like this artist you will probably like-[/B] Chick Corea Elektric Band

JBJ 11-01-2005 11:04 PM

hoping someone here can suggest a group that has good upright bass in it, or just sounds somewhat like medeski, martin, & wood or the bad plus.

rokaholic 11-02-2005 06:48 PM

here's what i'm looking for; something like [B]John Scofield[/B], [B]Medeski Martin and Wood[/B], [B]Soulive[/B], and [B]Joshua Redman's 'Momentum'[/B] CD. i really like that type of jazz

thanks

kev_trb1006 11-08-2005 11:42 AM

I recommend the John Patitucci album, Mistura Fina

WomitSorum 11-08-2005 12:18 PM

Can someone recommend me some good groovin' Jazz/Funk similiar to [URL="http://groove.zizkov.net/media/current/03hot.m3u"]this[/URL] ?

rokaholic 11-08-2005 07:37 PM

who's music is that linked to? i like that song.

WomitSorum 11-09-2005 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=rokaholic]who's music is that linked to? i like that song.[/QUOTE]
it's a czechian band i saw in Prague a month ago. here is their [URL="http://groove.zizkov.net/"]website[/URL].

rokaholic 11-09-2005 03:39 PM

do you have any of their cds? cuz i doubt i'd be able to find any around here, if you do have any, where did you get 'em?

thanks

WomitSorum 11-09-2005 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=rokaholic]do you have any of their cds? cuz i doubt i'd be able to find any around here, if you do have any, where did you get 'em?

thanks[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately not, thats why I asked about similiar music. I doubt they even have one out yet :/

rokaholic 11-09-2005 04:30 PM

well, if you like the sound of organs which is what i'm big into, along with some other instruments, then check out:

-Black Talk! - by Charles Earland (Organ, Sax i think)
-Medeski Martin and Wood (Drums, Organ, Bass, lots of other instruments)
-Drop Trio (Organ & some other stuff)
-John Scofield (Jazz Guitar & other instruments)
-Momentum - by Joshua Redman (organ, sax i think, really good)
-Head Hunters, & Thrust - by Herbie Hancock
-Soulive (Organ, Sax, other stuff)

thats mostly the type of music, and who i listen to for jazz right now, i hope to expand my jazz collection a lot more tho

if you find out any other good bands send a p.m.

Det_Nosnip 11-17-2005 12:34 AM

I'm looking to get into Keith Jarrett. I remember liking what I heard from him in my jazz history class, but I can't remember what it was in particular that I heard. Piano trio tends to be my favorite outfit, but solo piano can be nice as well, if it's interesting. I guess what I'm looking for is the "classic" Jarrett....what he is famous for and what pieces/albums set him apart as unique.

Ill Mitch 11-17-2005 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=JBJ]hoping someone here can suggest a group that has good upright bass in it, or just sounds somewhat like medeski, martin, & wood or the bad plus.[/QUOTE]

Oooh, those are fantastic bands.

Cam90 11-28-2005 05:56 PM

Ok I really havn't heard that much jazz playing. I mostly listen to metal/rock type music. I have recently got into Paul Gilbert I just heard the song "Six Billion People", and I can't stop listening to it I love the jazz like playing in the song. I want to get into more jazz, so could someone reccomend some bands or artists that sound sort of like the song or similar? Or reccomend me some jazz with awsome guitar playing.

Thanks

MainSlot 11-29-2005 02:49 PM

Lmusic

Sorry guys about this being out of topic, but for reason i cant post a new threat and i'm in a hurry.

Does anyone know of an American or European singer or band that have use some spanish words on their lyrics besides U2? I know there are lots of them, but I cant think of one right now and cant find any on the net. I'm writing a paper and need this info asap.
Thanks. I just need the name, song, and lyrics.