Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

gaslight 05-02-2009 11:34 PM

Sorry but opinion or not saying that live music always sounds terrible is just a ridiculous assertation. According to that rule, music always sounded terrible before the advent of recording? I have no idea how anyone could say that live music sounds terrible 100% of the time, the notion makes no sense to me at all.

Sablate McNuff 05-02-2009 11:39 PM

[quote=Raayl;17218526]guys what you dont understand is this:

there is no right or wrong its just music you can hate a song or a performance for absolutely no reason, that is perfectly acceptable

and another thing

shows are about the experience of seeing and living the music. thats why they call it "live." it sounds terrible. it always does, from a certain perspective

but i just assume you already know what perspective that is so i dont waste my time making note of all this subjective crap

but of course in traditional MX fashion it has to be a controversy and omg omg omg ur wrong ur opinion has wrongness in it[/quote]

From a player's point of view, I agree that the music is bad, if not terrible, live. I miss notes, play with inconsistent volumes, etc. I'm really never happy with the way I play live. If it weren't so damn fun running around on stage in front of people who are getting into the music, I wouldn't ever play out.

1: ur wrong
2: no ur wrong
1: no ur wronger
2: stfu n00b
1: no, u stfu
2: **stab**

katana_manatee 05-03-2009 03:20 AM

[QUOTE=Sablate McNuff;17218365]I ate some kratom, but mostly just drank the tea. I highly recommend boiling it again afterwards to evaporate it. 6 cups kind of made my stomach hurt a little bit. Next time I try it, I'll put all the kratom in with some applesauce and try to evaporate it such that it's only a cup or so of tea.

The music is incredible. Definitely not what I expected at all. I really liked it. Reminded me of Soul Coughing at first, but then just went into a very nice, up-tempo jazz bit.

The second piece was rather nice too, but I think the bass was too present in the mix. Sounded rather boomy and harsh than warm and punchy and it took away from some of the other subtleties. Otherwise, it was very mellow. What inspired the song title for Habitacion con Puerta? Just the general vibe of coastal living?[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, I guess six cups is a lot of liquid.

Glad you like the stuff man, I hadn't hear the stuff in years and I appreciate it a lot more now my tastes have changed.

I never really thought the bass was too boomy on Habitacion con Puerta but maybe on bassy systems it sounds a bit much? It is programmed midi bass which really doesn't help I suppose.

When my dad wrote Habitacion con Puerta he did have that sorta vibe in mind but he initially was gonna call it room with a view in Spanish but thought it was too common a name so for a little quirkiness opted for room with a door instead.

I've got a couple more tracks for ya:

http://www.mediafire.com/?onkwz30emny

http://www.mediafire.com/?ogojmmz03zl

The first one is a more rock fusiony track and the second is another melodic jazzy affair, kinda like some of Pat Metheny's stuff composition wise with some lovely melodies and has an actual bass on it. :p

Sablate McNuff 05-03-2009 08:29 AM

[quote=katana_manatee;17218651]Ha ha, I guess six cups is a lot of liquid.

Glad you like the stuff man, I hadn't hear the stuff in years and I appreciate it a lot more now my tastes have changed.

I never really thought the bass was too boomy on Habitacion con Puerta but maybe on bassy systems it sounds a bit much? It is programmed midi bass which really doesn't help I suppose.

When my dad wrote Habitacion con Puerta he did have that sorta vibe in mind but he initially was gonna call it room with a view in Spanish but thought it was too common a name so for a little quirkiness opted for room with a door instead.

I've got a couple more tracks for ya:

http://www.mediafire.com/?onkwz30emny

http://www.mediafire.com/?ogojmmz03zl

The first one is a more rock fusiony track and the second is another melodic jazzy affair, kinda like some of Pat Metheny's stuff composition wise with some lovely melodies and has an actual bass on it. :p[/quote]

After making the filtered tea, the taste wasn't too bad. The flavor of the kratom leaves themselves is far worse.

"Cuarto con una Vista" sounds a bit like a Tito Puente song, although I can't remember it. (Yes, I do speak spanish fairly well).

I actually listened through my headphones with no EQ-ing at all, so I'm not sure why the bass felt so loud in the mix, but it does. I actually had to turn the volume down so it didn't feel like somebody was jabbing a bass stick into my ear.

I have to go into work again and finish taking care of yesterday's problems as well as some other things that my guys screwed up yesterday...eGad. I'll listen to your songs later.

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 08:34 AM

I'm seeing Animal Collective in two weeks. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Moon Flavor 05-03-2009 09:05 AM

If I were seeing Animal Collective I'd bring my mattress in the back of my truck and just fall asleep in the venue

katana_manatee 05-03-2009 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=Sablate McNuff;17218806]After making the filtered tea, the taste wasn't too bad. The flavor of the kratom leaves themselves is far worse.

"Cuarto con una Vista" sounds a bit like a Tito Puente song, although I can't remember it. (Yes, I do speak spanish fairly well).

I actually listened through my headphones with no EQ-ing at all, so I'm not sure why the bass felt so loud in the mix, but it does. I actually had to turn the volume down so it didn't feel like somebody was jabbing a bass stick into my ear.

I have to go into work again and finish taking care of yesterday's problems as well as some other things that my guys screwed up yesterday...eGad. I'll listen to your songs later.[/QUOTE]

I can't really speak any Spanish at all, just the usual stuff like gracias and si etc. And yeah, I am not sure about when to use letters with an acute either. :p

That is weird about the bass, for me it seems alright though I think I can understand what you are getting at, it is strong in the mix but not too annoyingly so for my ear. The fact this is an mp3 probably doesn't help too much either, without the compression it would be a lot more natural and balanced.

Hope work isn't too s[COLOR="Black"]h[/COLOR]it today dude. Catch ya in a bit.

Hope you're work's not too much of a pain today dude.

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=honeydutchautopsy;17218830]If I were seeing Animal Collective I'd bring my mattress in the back of my truck and just fall asleep in the venue[/QUOTE]

I take it you don't like them.

I hope I don't need to beat down a bunch of fools tripping on E.

mfb 05-03-2009 10:15 AM

What's going on guys?

Moon Flavor 05-03-2009 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17218876]I take it you don't like them.

I hope I don't need to beat down a bunch of fools tripping on E.[/QUOTE]

First of all nobody trips off good E.

Second of all E is about the only thing that could make me enjoy them in concert.

And yeah I enjoy the first two songs on Feels, but otherwise they kind of bore the crap out of me just a little bit.

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=honeydutchautopsy;17218910]First of all nobody trips off good E.

Second of all E is about the only thing that could make me enjoy them in concert.

And yeah I enjoy the first two songs on Feels, but otherwise they kind of bore the crap out of me just a little bit.[/QUOTE]

Trip is just a generic term.

I would never touch E because it's retarded.

I'm not overly familiar with their catalogue, but I know some of their stuff. Strawberry Jam is an awesome album from start to finish. Feels has some really good songs, Merriweather Post Pavillion is also pretty good, but I'm not too familiar with it.

This is one of those shows where I'm not overly familiar with the band and don't really care what they play, I'm just going because I like them and want to see them live.

Moon Flavor 05-03-2009 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17218923]Trip is just a generic term.

I would never touch E because it's retarded.

I'm not overly familiar with their catalogue, but I know some of their stuff. Strawberry Jam is an awesome album from start to finish. Feels has some really good songs, Merriweather Post Pavillion is also pretty good, but I'm not too familiar with it.

This is one of those shows where I'm not overly familiar with the band and don't really care what they play, I'm just going because I like them and want to see them live.[/QUOTE]

E when coming from a reliable source is nothing to worry about. As long as you don't take a bunch or do it more than weekly there's pretty much zero risk of overdose, addiction, or brain damage. It's absolutely nothing like it's portrayed by the media and such. It doesn't even **** you up or make you retarded like alcohol. And it's like the funnest drug out there.

I've listened to most Animal Collective albums at least once and it just seems to go nowhere. They have no energy which I don't think would translate well to a live show but I could be wrong. Who's playing with them?

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=honeydutchautopsy;17218951]E when coming from a reliable source is nothing to worry about. As long as you don't take a bunch or do it more than weekly there's pretty much zero risk of overdose, addiction, or brain damage. It's absolutely nothing like it's portrayed by the media and such. It doesn't even **** you up or make you retarded like alcohol. And it's like the funnest drug out there.

I've listened to most Animal Collective albums at least once and it just seems to go nowhere. They have no energy which I don't think would translate well to a live show but I could be wrong. Who's playing with them?[/QUOTE]

Meh. I'd still never touch it, I'll never touch most drugs. Certain hallucinogens I'll use on rare occasions. It's been a few years since I've used any, though. And pot I smoke regularly.

I don't know who's playing with them... some band called Grouper, apparently. I've never heard of them.
I just like their music, their music is very dance-able, I think it'll be a lot of fun to see them live.

FunkMetalBass 05-03-2009 11:18 AM

[quote=katana_manatee;17218845]I can't really speak any Spanish at all, just the usual stuff like gracias and si etc. And yeah, I am not sure about when to use letters with an acute either. :p

That is weird about the bass, for me it seems alright though I think I can understand what you are getting at, it is strong in the mix but not too annoyingly so for my ear. The fact this is an mp3 probably doesn't help too much either, without the compression it would be a lot more natural and balanced.

Hope work isn't too s[COLOR=Black]h[/COLOR]it today dude. Catch ya in a bit.

Hope you're work's not too much of a pain today dude.[/quote]

It's going ok. I should be out of here in about 30 min.

Accents in spanish are easy. Every spanish word naturally accents the second-to-last syllable. If anything else is emphasized (and it's mostly memorization as to which words will need it, seeing as it can change the meaning of the word), an accent is needed.

Moon Flavor 05-03-2009 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17218959]Meh. I'd still never touch it, I'll never touch most drugs. Certain hallucinogens I'll use on rare occasions. It's been a few years since I've used any, though. And pot I smoke regularly.

I don't know who's playing with them... some band called Grouper, apparently. I've never heard of them.
I just like their music, their music is very dance-able, I think it'll be a lot of fun to see them live.[/QUOTE]

See I can't do hallucinogens; certain people they really have a lasting mind**** issue associated with them and I happen to be one of those people. More dangerous than E imo. Not that they should be illegal though because they shouldn't :p

Grouper is kinda cool. Very mellow hippy folk music good for trippin

FunkMetalBass 05-03-2009 11:26 AM

Also, only the vowels a e i o u have accents.

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=honeydutchautopsy;17218971]See I can't do hallucinogens; certain people they really have a lasting mind**** issue associated with them and I happen to be one of those people. More dangerous than E imo. Not that they should be illegal though because they shouldn't :p

Grouper is kinda cool. Very mellow hippy folk music good for trippin[/QUOTE]

I'm not afraid of E being dangerous, I just don't want that artificial happiness. I've seen people do all kinds of drugs and be fine after, it's just that I wouldn't touch them. I'll never touch E, coke, heroin, meth, not even acid. I prefer natural drugs. Except alcohol. I do drink.

FunkMetalBass 05-03-2009 11:31 AM

I'm a fan of the natural stuff too. In my DMT researh last night, I discovered that it has to be extracted from plants. No thanks. That leaves too much open for error and bad things to go wrong. It's also the reason I stopped with the MJ substitutes - they put synthetic cannabinoids in there.

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 11:37 AM

I actually would be interested in DMT. I've never done it before, but it's one drug that has always intrigued me.

Moon Flavor 05-03-2009 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;17218989]I'm a fan of the natural stuff too. In my DMT researh last night, I discovered that it has to be extracted from plants. No thanks. That leaves too much open for error and bad things to go wrong. It's also the reason I stopped with the MJ substitutes - they put synthetic cannabinoids in there.[/QUOTE]

DMT extraction is not difficult it's not like anything that requires a lab or anything.

As far as only doing drugs that are natural, I find that to be kind of superstitious. Mushrooms are natural yeah but it's still just a chemical reaction happening in your brain. Any high is a chemical high. For that matter, happiness, dreams, even the satisfaction you get from eating are all just chemical highs.

On another note, coke and heroin are essentially natural substance (extracted from an organic substance).

edit: DMT is insane but do you know you're feeling it every night while you dream?

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 11:46 AM

I don't do it for superstitious reasons. It's not like I'm on a quest to try as many drugs as I can. I just like to get stoned. And hallucinate every once in a while. I don't want something that's going to make me all hyper because I did it or something that'll give me some fake euphoria. I just have no desire to touch drugs like that. I also don't put caffeine into my body (except for the occasional Coke or something, which is kind of rare).

katana_manatee 05-03-2009 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17219036]I don't do it for superstitious reasons. It's not like I'm on a quest to try as many drugs as I can. I just like to get stoned. And hallucinate every once in a while. I don't want something that's going to make me all hyper because I did it or something that'll give me some fake euphoria. I just have no desire to touch drugs like that. I also don't put caffeine into my body (except for the occasional Coke or something, which is kind of rare).[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, you remind me of an old friend from London, he had the exact same view. Only he wouldn't touch alcohol. And he was a conspiracy theory nut. :p

I find it a slightly odd way to view things, but each to their own, though I do partly agree with you for different reasons.

I just find it odd that you wouldn't want something to give you a fake euphoria but a fake reality is okay. :p

I can't hack hallucinogens, I can be a bit of an anxious person so they don't mix well. Plus with the history of depression on my mother's side, probably not a good idea. I tend to go easy on stuff in general.

Spaceman Spiff 05-03-2009 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=katana_manatee;17219064]Ha ha, you remind me of an old friend from London, he had the exact same view. Only he wouldn't touch alcohol. And he was a conspiracy theory nut. :p

I find it a slightly odd way to view things, but each to their own, though I do partly agree with you for different reasons.

[B]I just find it odd that you wouldn't want something to give you a fake euphoria but a fake reality is okay.[/B] :p

I can't hack hallucinogens, I can be a bit of an anxious person so they don't mix well. Plus with the history of depression on my mother's side, probably not a good idea. I tend to go easy on stuff in general.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Yeah, I don't know. I guess there's no real reason for me to not try other drugs, I just don't want to.

I guess I enjoy seeing messed up stuff that isn't really there. Like when the carpet was flowing like a broken water main.

Sablate McNuff 05-03-2009 12:11 PM

Agreed, there are potentially problems with everything that you take to alter your state, but I try to shy away from anything that has man involved in the process. I don't even drink that much anymore for the same reason.

DMT is naturally in most things and naturally occurs in the body. It's still something I'm rather weary about trying. Maybe if I read up more on the extraction process, I might try to get some MHBR (? iirc) and extract it. I wouldn't trust buying it from anybody though, only because I'm afraid of people cutting it with other things. I worry about my weed being laced too, so I usually only buy it from a few people that I trust and have had a history of other drug use so that they'd recognize if it were laced w/ something.

/rant.

Thank God I'm home now.

Epidemechanical 05-03-2009 12:22 PM

somebody buy my BA-115 ill sell it cheap

katana_manatee 05-03-2009 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;17219090]:lol:

Yeah, I don't know. I guess there's no real reason for me to not try other drugs, I just don't want to.

I guess I enjoy seeing messed up stuff that isn't really there. Like when the carpet was flowing like a broken water main.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough dude, people don't always need a set reason for things. I too, don't want to take stuff like E but I generally don't get on well with strong stimulants, I end up getting bouts of anxiety which just ain't fun.

I had a fun time on shrooms for a while, looking at a book of pictures from the Hubble space telescope was mind blowing. Shame some guy started laughing his arse off, pointed at me and started shouting "Ha ha, your face! It's melting!", I ended up getting really worried and had a bad trip because of it. Didn't help that I was already feeling queasy.

Sablate McNuff 05-03-2009 12:24 PM

[quote=Raayl;17219111]somebody buy my BA-115 ill sell it cheap[/quote]

How much?

Epidemechanical 05-03-2009 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Sablate McNuff;17219120]How much?[/QUOTE]

idk like 175 + shipping

Sablate McNuff 05-03-2009 12:28 PM

I'll give you $25 + shipping.

Final offer.

Epidemechanical 05-03-2009 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=Sablate McNuff;17219130]I'll give you $25 + shipping.

Final offer.[/QUOTE]

:( 175 it dont get no better than that