Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The Official Jam Band Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207777)

robo2448 06-16-2009 10:00 AM

Damn jpj have fun at Phish. I am regretting not trying to see them. From pictures and videos, the light shows look like the best lights you can find at a concert anywhere. I almost feel like it would be worth going just for that.

Fortunately with the new album and all, it looks like this won't be a one and done kinda tour and i'll catch them in the winter, spring, next summer... sometime cause they're definitely not done.

MOEvaughn 06-18-2009 01:27 PM

moe. - Rock Band/Guitar Hero?

Has anyone heard anything about moe. being featured on the upcoming version of Rock Band or Guitar Hero???

robo2448 06-18-2009 04:45 PM

Hey everybody, enjoy some good dead from '74. Great 3 night run at Winterland.

2/22/74- http://www.sendspace.com/file/134dnc
2/23/74- http://www.sendspace.com/file/ik7x33
2/24/74- http://www.sendspace.com/file/h8nd1b

jpj 06-19-2009 12:52 PM

Phish was amazing last night, incredible set list.

Opened with Golgi Apparatus, Chalkdust Torture, Bouncing Around the Room, and Wolfman's Brother. It Doesn't get much better than that. Second set opened with Down with Disease>Free, also had a great Squirming Coil>You Enjoy Myself, and they encored with Bike (the Pink Floyd song).

Blew my mind.

robo2448 06-19-2009 10:00 PM

that sounds like fun.

Ghostfire3 06-20-2009 10:04 AM

Oooh, sounds like a blast. My friend's just went up to Wisconsin. They're going to the Alpine Valley show Sunday.

/jealous

whitebunny808 06-22-2009 02:21 PM

rothbury schedule

:wave:Anyone going to the show might like to know that the schedule is out:
http://rothburyfestival.com/festival_schedule.php

looking mighty fine.:chug:

If your not able to attend this year, still check it out and maybe make plans for next year. It's def my favorite fest!

Peace.

robo2448 06-22-2009 08:44 PM

Speaking of festivals, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to go to Gathering Of The Vibes. What do you guys think of the lineup? http://gatheringofthevibes.com/2009/2009+band+lineup

It's weaker than last year but CSN, Levon, Ratdog, DSO, etc. is probably enough to have a pretty good time...

jpj 06-22-2009 10:02 PM

I'd go for George Clinton & P-Funk.

snorfledumpkins 06-23-2009 02:10 PM

Saw Phish this last weekend for the Alpine run. It was my first two Phish shows ever and the best concerts I've ever been to. Absolutely amazing. Had chills going down my spine all the time and danced my *** off, really fun time. Judging by these two shows, they're definitely back!

Trey's soloing was epic, beautiful, funky, and face melting all at the same time, and page played the best keyboard solos i've ever heard come out of his fingers. Jon played in top form, and Mike even had a couple super funky bass solos.

joshmay 06-23-2009 09:11 PM

vibes is supposed to be a really good time, in a really good place. i would go based solely on what people that have been there have told me about it.

robo2448 06-23-2009 09:23 PM

It used to be in upstate NY which is beautiful but it got moved a few years back to Bridgeport, CT which is kinda like the armpit of America. The park Vibes takes place in is actually really pretty and a great place for a festival, but then right across the street you've got crackhouses and projects. It's an interesting combo. I went for one day last year and it was really great. NRPS and BK3 were great, Taj Mahal solid, Mike Gordon pretty meh... and then Phil put on an absolutely incredible show. Mindblowing. Unfortunately this year has no NRPS, BK3 or Phil but I think I could still find a good time. A little pricey and my boss will never forgive me for taking so many off days but I'll probably do it anyways.

Ghostfire3 06-26-2009 10:53 AM

Rothbury is in less than a week peeps.. Who's gettin pumped!?!?

magicbus 06-26-2009 01:54 PM

I am getting pumped. Leaving for Chicago today, and doing Rothbury next weekend, this should be a pretty good week.

joshmay 06-27-2009 09:39 AM

no rothbury for me :(

im tryin to hit up 3Gs at nelson ledges that weekend ... three nights of DARK STAR!!!

what festivals is phil playin this year, if any? of course i wouldnt mind if he isnt playin any, if the reason is a DEAD FALL TOUR!

robo2448 06-27-2009 11:57 AM

Phil's taking the summer off to hang out with his kids. There's actually no Phil & Friends right now cause the members' contracts expired in January '09 and he hasn't put together a new group yet. Also, according to dead.net, there won't be anymore Dead shows in 2009 except for Rothbury. I expect them to tour again next spring/summer though. The last tour was too good and too much fun not to try it again.

jpj 06-27-2009 12:38 PM

Damn it they better tour again.

[QUOTE=joshmay;17327639]im tryin to hit up 3Gs at nelson ledges that weekend ... three nights of DARK STAR!!![/QUOTE]
Hopefully I'll make it to one of the fests there. Gratefulfest, Mothership Landing, or Hookah Weekend would all be tight.

Lunch 06-27-2009 07:40 PM

I think I'm gonna be able to make it to Gratefulfest; Rothbury is just too expensive. NLQP is supposed to be a great spot and paying way less for a nice intimate festival with a bunch of Grateful Dead music doesn't sound like the worst idea.

robo2448 06-27-2009 09:24 PM

It sounds sweet, but I've seen a handful of news articles lately about the police there just being totally out of hand. They're pissed about the drugs the festival brings so they're busting everyone. Be careful. An intimate festival with lots of Grateful Dead music sounds like exactly what I need right now.

Ghostfire3 06-28-2009 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=robo2448;17329207]It sounds sweet, but I've seen a handful of news articles lately about the police there just being totally out of hand. They're pissed about the drugs the festival brings so they're busting everyone. Be careful. An intimate festival with lots of Grateful Dead music sounds like exactly what I need right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, I've been hearing the same sh[I]i[/I]t.. Just be careful and use common sense and people should be fine. There are undercovers at any festival but I've definitely been hearing some bad stuff about NLQP lately..

On a more positive note, I've heard the festival grounds there are beautiful and I'd love to go sometime.

robo2448 06-28-2009 04:58 PM

Yeah security seems to be tightening up a bunch of places. Even Mountain Jam, which is usually super laid back, was invaded by the town's cops who made a bunch of arrests. My friend just told me about getting a $426 fine for rolling a joint at Phish... seems like the cops need to relax a little bit.

jpj 06-29-2009 05:21 PM

So Phish is hosting a festival the weekend of Halloween who else is pumped.

EDIT: But it looks like it's probably gonna be in California so the chances of me going are pretty slim :upset:

robo2448 07-06-2009 08:58 PM

Yo let's get some Rothbury reviews... from the pictures i've seen on jambase it looks like it was incredible.

Ghostfire3 07-07-2009 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=robo2448;17346194]Yo let's get some Rothbury reviews... from the pictures i've seen on jambase it looks like it was incredible.[/QUOTE]

Ha, it's pretty difficult to put the whole festival into words right now but the entire weekend was magical.

Best shows of the weekend in my opinion were Bisco, STS9, String Cheese, and the Dead. But I pretty much expected that going into it. The Dead closed with US Blues during sick fireworks. I really enjoyed the China Cat they played also. Except me and my friends decided to leave for a bit during a really intense space and drums sequence.

SCI show had the most antics and there was such a positive vibe flowing during their sets. Big inflatable balls traveling among the crowd, three incredible hoopers performing in/around the crowd on stands, and curtain dancers or whatever those people are. Simply put there was just a lot going on during Cheese and it was all so great.

The forest was amazing as always. Ha, never been anywhere like it.

Unfortunately I missed out on some of the surprises of the festival, although it's impossible to catch them all. One I was really disappointed about missing (since I'm a huge Lotus fan) was that Lotus played a secret day set in the forest with the bass player of Future Rock and the sax player of Big Gigantic stepping in for a tune or two.

But the whole festival was a great experience that I will never forget. Let's just say I'll be back for more next year.:cool:

londoncalling457 07-08-2009 02:22 PM

Hi guys I am just starting to download some Grateful Dead shows off of archive.org but I'm not really sure where to start because there are thousands. I was just wondering what shows are regarded as their best. Thanks.

Edit: the only show I have is 5/8/77 at cornell

jpj 07-08-2009 05:01 PM

Check out some other shows from May '77, 3/22-3/23/68, 3/1/69, 12/31/71, 8/27/72, and the summer of '90 if you're interested in good later Dead.

alexzandramarie 07-08-2009 05:32 PM

Wilco

[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/coaster550/wilco_0709.jpg[/IMG]

magicbus 07-08-2009 06:31 PM

My friend's said Warren had his guitar so loud during the Dead set that you couldn't even hear Bob half the time. As a huge Dead fan, my roommate was needless to say, very pissed.

But I heard good things. Lotus was supposed to be off the hook, had a cool, dark Spiritualize that I need to hear. SCI sounded like it was pretty crazy, and they said the props just added to that. Like Cirque de Soleil mixed with a String Cheese show haha.

I also heard that STS9 did a lot of remixes and newer material, which I'm not so disappointed about missing. They did play Circus though, I would've liked to have seen that.

Everyone I talked to had an awesome time though, I'll be checking it out next year for sure.

robo2448 07-08-2009 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=jpj;17350784]Check out some other shows from May '77, 3/22-3/23/68, 3/1/69, 12/31/71, 8/27/72, and the summer of '90 if you're interested in good later Dead.[/QUOTE]

Good call with the summer '90, so underrated. Spring and fall '90 worth checking out as well, and all of '89. Real high point in their career. Best run of shows since '77 in my opinion.

Rothbury sounds like it was awesome, kind of like the dream festival. Sucks Warren was drowning out Bobby. When I saw the Dead in May Warren was fantastic but Bob was loud and clear too. His rhythm playing was spectacular, especially on Morning Dew, and it was very audible.

I gotta go to Rothbury. Everything I hear just makes it sound so magical. Maybe next year.

robo2448 07-18-2009 10:59 AM

Warren Haynes just said that he expects The Dead to be doing some more touring in 2010. Sweet. Here's the article if anyone's interested- http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/warren-haynes-in-musical-overdrive-with-1003995072.story

I'm headed to Gathering of the Vibes in a few days, should be sweet.

magicbus 07-19-2009 10:48 PM

Any of you guys ever hear of Roots Of Creation? They're kinda like a mix of reggae/dub, jam-rock, and electronica. Definitely worth checking out if you're into any of those genres, they're on the archive.

I also highly recommend Euforquestra (jazzy, world influenced, jam music), the show I have is pretty awesome: http://www.archive.org/details/euf2007-08-16.flac

If anyone decides to check either out, let me know what you think. I'm digging them.

robo2448 07-21-2009 05:19 PM

RIP Marmaduke Dawson, the lead singer/songwriter for New Riders of the Purple Sage. Wrote some really great songs.

robo2448 07-28-2009 10:22 PM

Man, I went to Gathering of the Vibes last weekend, it was so incredible. Unbelievable craziness. Got there Thursday early entry for Donna Jean Band, Dark Star Orchestra and The Machine (Pink Floyd cover group). Unfortunately it rained hard for like 8 straight hours, from the early evening (like 530) until around 2 in the morning. Walking back to my tent after Dark Star there were like 6 inch deep rivers in place of streets. But the music was incredible. I wasn't expecting that much of Donna but her band was fantastic. Her guitar player Jeff Mattson from the Zen Tricksters plays Jerry as well as anyone. Midnight Moonlight and Samson & Delilah were the highlights. Dark Star shortened their 4 hour show to 3+ because of the weather but it was damn good. Original setlist with a bunch of songs dedicated to the night's weather. China > Rider opener, fun Cold Rain & Snow, The Mighty Quinn encore, Shakedown, Sugar Magnolia, Alligator > Dancin' In The Streets, Playin' In The Band > Crazy Fingers (awesome)... Really good show. Went back to the camp to warm up and smoke before the machine and got to the machine really late, far too late but caught some of their set. They nail Pink Floyd, then attach really cool, interesting jams onto the end. Did an intense jam of The Other One. I really want to see a full show, but probably caught about an hour.

Damn that's a lot of writing, I'll write about the other days later.

JonG 07-29-2009 02:21 AM

Cold Rain & Snow was always one of my favorite songs

^__^

robo2448 07-29-2009 08:12 PM

Especially when you get to hear it outside at a festival when it is pouring. Last year at vibes, we had hours of terrible thunderstorms then Phil came out and played Cold Rain & Snow. This year we had 8 straight hours of rain (a really cold rain too) and Dark Star played it in the middle of the rainstorm. Phil was better but both were lots of fun.

Lunch 07-30-2009 11:54 AM

Sounds awesome Robo. DSO has actually made me enjoy the Mighty Quinn. They love that song, it seems they play it every time they do an original these days (same with Alligator, but who's complaining?).

10K was pretty massive. It's hard to say anything else other than PANIC. Goddamn. Two absolutely monster sets. Too many highlights to list but they brought the heat.

robo2448 07-30-2009 08:37 PM

DSO Alligator at Vibes was really nice. Hadn't heard them do that before (or Mighty Quinn actually) but they did really well with both of them. Forgot to mention the Catfish John with Donna too... beautiful.

Figure I'll continue with Friday at vibes- started off the day with Cornmeal at the small stage and they put on a fantastic show. If you like bluegrass, jam whatever go see Cornmeal. Cornmeal, Tea Leaf Green, and Railroad Earth are the best bands touring in their prime right now. Right after Cornmeal we headed over to JJ Grey and Mofro who I wasn't too familiar with but he ended up putting on one of the best sets of the weekend. Really good funky, southern soul music that was perfect for a hot and sunny afternoon.

Skipped Keller cause he does nothing for me, then came back for P-Funk who were awful. Biggest disappointment of the weekend for sure. Had this huge fancy show with something like 7 guitarists, 12 singers, and terrible music. Would never see them again. Deep Banana Blackout played next and completely blew them away. Dedicated a song to Merle Saunders and finished with a nailed cover of Santana's Soul Sacrifice to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. moe was the Friday headliner and their first set was pretty good and then some guy came out and said they were going to wait to continue to see if the storm would hit us or pass. Then he came out again 5 minutes later and said we were in the middle of an electrical storm and we had to go hide in our cars immediately. Craziness. I have never seen so much lightening. ****ing crazy storm. It was a miracle nobody got struck by lightening. Eventually the weather let up and we went over to check out Lettuce's late night set. Awesome funk. Check them out if they're in your area. They can jam like crazy.

UmphreysHead 08-01-2009 03:02 AM

I saw Phish at Red Rocks last night (30th) and it was absolutely incredible. I was a bit (modest) buzzed so I'm not entirely sure of the set list, but I remember a Mikes > H2O > Weekapaug > SOTGhost. As well as a Divided Sky opener and Ocelot was somewhere in the first set. Needless to say it was awesome. I'm not going again until the fourth night but I might go onto the hill for tomorrow's show. Either way I'll keep you guys posted.

robo2448 08-01-2009 09:25 PM

Sounds like fun.

Happy birthday Jerry.

UmphreysHead 08-04-2009 04:12 PM

The last night of Phish was absolutely crazy! A really nice first set, but the second set was the mind blower. YEM and then BILLY KREUTZMAN came out for Undermind, Seven Below and a few others. Absolutely incredible. Not to mention the Slave to the Traffic Light Encore. Probably one of the best things I've ever been witness too!