Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

EADGCFBb 09-13-2010 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;18178989]Here's a new song for anyone who might care to listen.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/capitalaitch[/url]

The show last night was the shit. Thanks to ol' Matty EADG for getting us the gig. There will be photos and videos soon. Two people were taking pictures (one is an amazing photographer) and another person filmed the entire set.[/QUOTE]

Why are the letters on your shirts in lowercase?

FunkMetalBass 09-13-2010 01:21 PM

[quote=EADGCFBb;18179164]I keep my bass maxed, full on the neck pickup, always. It sounds unbearable to me otherwise.

It ain't worth putting new pickups in this stupid thing.[/quote]

Really? I thought the bass benefited greatly from new pickups. If I had the money, I would have gone for a new preamp too. Loved it.

Try some of the other strings recommended, or get an EQ pedal. If none of those work, I might suggest trading it for a new bass.

Spaceman Spiff 09-13-2010 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=EADGCFBb;18179166]Why are the letters on your shirts in lowercase?[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I'm actually surprised that no one really said anything to us about it last night. We just thought it would be funny.
We wanted something that would unite us as a group and something that people would (might?) remember.

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 03:38 PM

[quote=FunkMetalBass;18179031]What do you guys think of this band (aside from recording quality)?
[url]http://www.myspace.com/6asideband[/url]

They're a bit on the stock side, but they're pretty tight and have a very full sound. I've been offered a spot as their bassist. I'll likely decline for full-time school, but there's definitely potential there.[/quote]
Lmao worst auto tune job I've ever heard.

That singer will blow live I assure you.

I didn't hear this 'full sound' you speak of. Or are you talking about when you've seen them live?

Spaceman Spiff 09-13-2010 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18179400]Lmao worst auto tune job I've ever heard.

I didn't hear this 'full sound' you speak of. Or are you talking about when you've seen them live?[/QUOTE]

My band has a new song up if you want to hear it, Joel.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/capitalaitch[/url]

It still needs mixing, but let me know what you think.

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 03:50 PM

I listened to it.

Singer is better than your last one by a mile. Still a bit pitchy here and there, but fixable.

Drums sounds pretty useable for the feel of the song.

The last section (as gaslight mentions) will be very hard to manage from the guitar tones and the drum tones/beat I'm hearing. It seems like a mismatch of energy between everyone, so good luck mixing that section.

Couldn't really hear the bass that much, but I think I can hear slight intonation issues in the guitars, I'd need to hear it in solo to tell if it's just my imagination or a Freudian slip.

Not a terribad song, vocal melodies were okay, the vocal needs a lot of beefing up though.

FunkMetalBass 09-13-2010 04:12 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18179400]Lmao worst auto tune job I've ever heard.

I didn't hear this 'full sound' you speak of. Or are you talking about when you've seen them live?[/quote]

Yes, I am. I don't have the ability to listen to MySpace recordings at work, but you're probably right about the lack of full sound in the recordings. I was tired. Gimme a break.

I don't remember the singer being shitty live, but then again, it was a drunken night, so I was probably numb to it.

I have to decline anyway, so it's a pointless post now.

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 05:54 PM

Lol sorry didn't mean to seem like I was having a go :p

FunkMetalBass 09-13-2010 06:51 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18179516]Lol sorry didn't mean to seem like I was having a go :p[/quote]

But you did, and now my eyes are watery with sadness.

gaslight 09-13-2010 08:56 PM

Joel's angry 'cause he's not in a band :p.

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 09:00 PM

Lol I'm in a band. I just don't flaunt it.

Sablate McNuff 09-13-2010 09:15 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18180001]Lol I'm in a band. I just don't flaunt it.[/quote]

Probably cuz they suck.

gaslight 09-13-2010 09:28 PM

If you wanna critique everyone else's band you've gotta have yours out there :p. We'll need those recordings.

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 10:05 PM

My band does suck, hence the absence of flaunting :lol:

gaslight 09-13-2010 10:15 PM

Stop hitting yourself :lol:.

funkyhoney 09-13-2010 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18180001]Lol I'm in a band. I just don't flaunt it.[/QUOTE]

[URL]http://www.myspace.com/riverstonehaze[/URL]
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/riverstonehaze[/URL]
[URL]http://www.riverstonehaze.com[/URL]

:smash:

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 10:43 PM

Yeah see now Ryan has the right to brag, he's in a somewhat successful pop rock band.

EADGCFBb 09-13-2010 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18179194]Really? I thought the bass benefited greatly from new pickups. If I had the money, I would have gone for a new preamp too. Loved it.[/QUOTE]

...There's only so much more money I'm putting into this stupid thing.

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18179194]
or get an EQ pedal. [/QUOTE]

It ain't worth buying that.

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18179194]
If none of those work, I might suggest trading it for a new bass.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah probably.

EADGCFBb 09-13-2010 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;18179297]
I'm actually surprised that no one really said anything to us about it last night. [/QUOTE]

I thought it.

funkyhoney 09-13-2010 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18180272]Yeah see now Ryan has the right to brag, he's in a somewhat successful pop rock band.[/QUOTE]

I detest being labelled pop rock. Most of the songs sound quite a bit heavier live, we got the EP made with a pop producer so after all that it doesn't have the same impact we really wanted some of the songs to have.

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 11:05 PM

Sorry dude, I am as generic as they come when labeling bands, it literally does not matter to me.

FunkMetalBass 09-13-2010 11:11 PM

Sorry, Ryan, but you are pop rock. In fact, you're lighter than a lot of what I hear on the radio these days.

funkyhoney 09-13-2010 11:13 PM

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18180304]Sorry dude, I am as generic as they come when labeling bands, it literally does not matter to me.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is I despise over-categorisation of music yet when people ask me what a certain band is like I always get overtly technical. "They're pretty much tech metal I guess, not quite math though with a touch of post-grunge thrown in."

I hate myself.

funkyhoney 09-13-2010 11:14 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18180319]Sorry, Ryan, but you are pop rock. In fact, you're lighter than a lot of what I hear on the radio these days.[/QUOTE]

Hrmm, well be that as it may from what you've heard most everything we've written in the last year has been considerably heavier, I'm actually quite keen to get some decent recordings done.

FunkMetalBass 09-13-2010 11:27 PM

I'd like to hear the new recordings when you get them done.

I'm finding that I really like the sound of my 8-string in passive mode. It's reminiscent of the way I imagine a jazz bass should sound. Then it's just ballsy and awesome in active mode.

Spaceman Spiff 09-13-2010 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=EADGCFBb;18180300]I thought it.[/QUOTE]

We do jokes and music. Just sometimes people can't tell which is which.

funkyhoney 09-13-2010 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=FunkMetalBass;18180346]I'd like to hear the new recordings when you get them done.

I'm finding that I really like the sound of my 8-string in passive mode. It's reminiscent of the way I imagine a jazz bass should sound. Then it's just ballsy and awesome in active mode.[/QUOTE]

I have some ultra dodgy ones I can probably get on here.

I'm finding I never play my 6 string so it can be deemed a waste of money and I should sell it so I can buy a decent acoustic :)

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 11:41 PM

[quote=funkyhoney;18180327]Hrmm, well be that as it may from what you've heard most everything we've written in the last year has been considerably heavier, I'm actually quite keen to get some decent recordings done.[/quote]
I need to move to Auz man, way more legit bands over there that need recording and actually deserve to be within 20m of a recording studio. I hear Melbourne is like the musical epicenter of Australasia.

And yes, hate yourself, you're the worst kind of hypocrite.

[QUOTE]
We do jokes and music. Just sometimes people can't tell which is which. [/QUOTE]
This made me lol. Now if you were always this mildly self deprecating things between us would be a lot better bby.

Convectuoso 09-13-2010 11:44 PM

[quote=funkyhoney;18180356]I have some ultra dodgy ones I can probably get on here.

I'm finding I never play my 6 string so it can be deemed a waste of money and I should sell it so I can buy a decent acoustic :)[/quote]
Get rid of it.

Get a really good four.

Or get a fiver. The low B could be handy.

But this is my opinion speaking not yours. What should do is listen to me. Really, you should.

Honestly. I NEVER had a need for the high C unless I was gona play some solo bass (read: lol).

funkyhoney 09-13-2010 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18180359]I need to move to Auz man, way more legit bands over there that need recording and actually deserve to be within 20m of a recording studio. I hear Melbourne is like the musical epicenter of Australasia.

And yes, hate yourself, you're the worst kind of hypocrite.

This made me lol. Now if you were always this mildly self deprecating things between us would be a lot better bby.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'd say that's probably a fair statement about Melbourne. We're thinking about moving down south a bit further in the not-too-distant future. There's no good mid-large sized venues in Brissy, there's a lot of 250-500 capacity venues, one or two 750-1250 and then after that we're talking fuckin' stadiums and entertainment centers.

Melbourne would be OK, I was born there after all, but Sydney is more of a generic epicenter for everything in Australia. Closer to home and I have family there.