Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The Official Jam Band Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207777)

Jigglypuff 07-22-2004 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=Kingadamx]Okay then Let's go with [B]Blues Traveler[/B].

My Favorite Song: Hook
My Favorite Album: Travelers and Thieves[/QUOTE]

These guys don't get enough attention in my opinion. Great band.

My Favourite Song: "Stand"
My Favourite Album: [i]Four[/i]

Dave Matthews Band:

So they're commercial. I still don't think that any band from the 80's/90's resurgence of jamming can be given more credit for bringing the jam scene to the spotlight, besides (of course) Phish.

My Favourite Song: "Satellite"
My Favourite Album: [i]Before These Crowded Streets[/i]

Have we covered the Allman Brothers Band yet? They're my newest obsession. One of the most enduring, influential and original bands of our time. The scene wouldn't be the same without them. Anyway:

My Favourite Song: "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"
My Favourite Album: [i]At Fillmore East[/i]

Badmoon 07-22-2004 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=keep on phishin']maybe some widespread panic the bassist is amazing and i love his work. dunno if its in the category as les claypool and everything but definitely worth checking out[/QUOTE]

Yea, he (Dave Schools) also did work with Gov't Mule on Vol. 1 :)

fenderjazzgroove 07-22-2004 07:28 PM

I'd say my favorite jam band would be a little-known band called The Big Wu. They're from Minnesota, but they are known throughout the Midwest, but I don't think that they are very big nationally. Anyways, you can learn a little bit about them at their website: [url]www.thebigwu.com[/url]. . . I love their music and I hope that sometime you guys can discover it as well. I'd say my favorite songs are (in no particular order)

Two Person Chair
S.O.S.
Boxing Day
Minnesota Moon
Shantytown
Silcanturnitova

That's not their best songs, those are just my favorite. If you want you can maybe download a couple of their songs, to get a taste of their style. . . to see if you like it. Then if you do you can [if you want] buy their CD[s] from their website. I definitely recommend these guys to anybody who likes really good jam bands.

Badmoon 07-23-2004 04:03 PM

Any of you like Rusted Root?

Vocally, I find them retarded, but instrumentally they're great, and I find them to be just a fabulous Jam Band.

YDload 07-23-2004 04:54 PM

Rusted Root is a local band from the Pittsburgh area. They had one hit with "Send Me On My Way," and I thought nobody but the local stoners still cared about them.

Badmoon 07-23-2004 06:54 PM

Glad to see you know about them.

YDload 07-23-2004 07:02 PM

Oh yeah, they're big around here, even though all they play of them on the radio is "Send Me On My Way," they're still a fun flute-featuring band.

Badmoon 07-23-2004 07:07 PM

I find them more to be based around percussion. But the flute plays a huge role aswell.

Kingadamx 07-23-2004 08:28 PM

I'm Pretty Happy That I'm Going to see 3 Jam Bands This Summer.

Gov't Mule
The Dead
O.A.R.

Anyone else going to any Jam Band concerts this summer?

Badmoon 07-23-2004 08:51 PM

^Sweet :thumb:

Everyone knows that Gov't Mule has a new keyboardist and bassist, right?

keep on phishin' 07-23-2004 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=Kingadamx]I'm Pretty Happy That I'm Going to see 3 Jam Bands This Summer.

Gov't Mule
The Dead
O.A.R.

Anyone else going to any Jam Band concerts this summer?[/QUOTE]

sadly im not going to any more jam band shows this summer but i did go to bonaroo and got a chance to see almost all my fav jam bands :D . but here in tenesee we dont get that many good shows :upset:

Badmoon 07-23-2004 09:33 PM

Okay, here's a new feature. Who do you prefer?

We'll start off with...

The String Cheese Incident or Widespread Panic

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-23-2004 11:14 PM

I'd have to say Widespread Panic. Although I do like SCI alot, there is jsut something about Panic that really keeps me listening. IMO they have more "good" songs.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-23-2004 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=Kingadamx]I'm Pretty Happy That I'm Going to see 3 Jam Bands This Summer.

Gov't Mule
The Dead
O.A.R.

Anyone else going to any Jam Band concerts this summer?[/QUOTE]

I am. Im stuck in northern cali for the summer with a lot of free time so im catching some shows.
july 30th im seein los lobos at the fillmore.
On the 31st Robert Walter's 20th congress is playing for free at golden gate park.
On august 20th im seeing particle
on the 21st im seeing charlie hunter

And at the end of my summer im seein two shows at the greek:

27th: G Love and Special Sauce with Jack Johnson
28th: OAR with Howie Day and Guster

In non jam bands i am also seeing the who at shoreline. Im hoping it will be a fun summer!

VoodooChild 07-23-2004 11:29 PM

SCI. I find their music a lot more "out there". They have a very psychedelic side to them which I love. I think they also have a good sense of humor with songs like "Johny Cash" and others. Plus, I feel that they are better at jamming than Widespread. And of course, how can you go wrong with as cool of a guy like Bill Nershie. I can give more reasons... but I jsut like them. But I still love Widespread. It just sucks that Mikey Houser passed away...

Badmoon 07-23-2004 11:36 PM

They both have a Country sense to them. Though Panic is more regular Country, while SCI is Bluegrass. But as Voodoo said, they are just better jammers, more humor. And I just like them better, not much more to it. Though Panic is fabulous, especially on [I]Space Wrangler[/I] ;).

[QUOTE]the fillmore.[/QUOTE]

My goal is to perform there some day. And possibly hold a secret Acid Test. Bill Graham (owner) would approve, but he's dead :upset: .

Badmoon 07-24-2004 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=YDload]Oh yeah, they're big around here, even though all they play of them on the radio is "Send Me On My Way," they're still a fun flute-featuring band.[/QUOTE]

You should do Rusted Root as a Featured Artist here.

YDload 07-24-2004 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=badmoon349]You should do Rusted Root as a Featured Artist here.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, I don't even know a lot about them, nor do I really like them a lot. I'm sort of "meh" on the whole deal.

Badmoon 07-24-2004 12:58 PM

Then perhaps I'll do it.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-24-2004 06:31 PM

hey badmoon whats the deal on doing Featured Artists? Do you have to be a moderator or anything? Or can anyone who is into the band and knows a good deal of information on them do one.

Badmoon 07-24-2004 06:47 PM

I'm not a mod and I did one.

Anyone who wants to do one on an "other" band can do one. Actually we need someone to do one now, so you can dib it on the last FA, and then post it within two weeks :).

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-24-2004 07:28 PM

I dont think ill be able to do one this time cause i cant think which band to do. Ill definetly work on one though and eventually Ill dib a FA and send it in.

Badmoon 07-24-2004 11:17 PM

^Smart idea :thumb:

Jigglypuff 07-25-2004 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=badmoon349]^Sweet :thumb:

Everyone knows that Gov't Mule has a new keyboardist and bassist, right?[/QUOTE]

They never had a keyboardist before, did they? I was under the impression that the original lineup went on hiatus after Allen Woody's death and the making of [i]The Deep End Vol. I & II[/i]. I know that Haynes was busy with the Allman Bros.' last album.

Badmoon 07-25-2004 06:44 PM

No, they have never had a keyboardist, but now they do. :)

Kingadamx 07-26-2004 10:08 AM

I think I'm Going to start reviewing some Live Phish Albums. They are just so amazing. I a m going to start with Live Phish Vol.16 and then probably A Live One.

Badmoon 07-26-2004 01:22 PM

I'm reviewing most of the studio album, and Voodoo is doing Gov't Mule - The Deepest End. Jam Band reviews are being covered!!!!

ninetofive 07-27-2004 11:42 AM

DMB Contest

anyone like dave mattews? dave matthews is my fav band of all time! and anyone who agress should go to [url]http://www.budweiser.com/1[/url] to enter this cool contest they have where you can win tix to go to DMB big concert in san fran! check it out!

Kingadamx 07-28-2004 04:49 PM

Who do you like better, [B]Phish[/B] or T[B]he Grateful Dead[/B]?

I don't even think that I could make the decision because they are both so good. Also, because the Dead incorporate different styles of music than Phish such as bluegrass and folk where Phish incorporates Jazz more into their style.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-28-2004 08:02 PM

Yeah...I cant answer that, but in terms of live, I would say the Dead. And even that is because i like the audience at Dead concerts better than the Phish audience, so I can enjoy the show more. They arent as noisy and are more helpful.

Badmoon 07-28-2004 08:22 PM

The Grateful Dead. Better musicians, knew their genres better, and they were better writers. And I just like them more.

theslideparamita 07-29-2004 02:34 AM

what about all those progressive bands like genesis and yes and king crimson?

Badmoon 07-29-2004 11:21 AM

They're just not jam bands.

RIPJoeStrummer 07-29-2004 12:53 PM

The Jimmy Swift Band.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-31-2004 02:44 PM

Is anyone here into the more funkier jam bands like Addison Groove Project?

Badmoon 07-31-2004 06:28 PM

So, Mule's tourin' with Earth Mud.

JoeOfWhereIam 07-31-2004 08:36 PM

dave matthews band.

Gov't Mule.

keep on phishin' 07-31-2004 09:07 PM

have any of you heard [I]dose[/I] by gov't mule?

i just got it the other day and i love it. my 2nd fav by gov't mule right behind the s/t

Badmoon 07-31-2004 09:24 PM

Nope, I'll get it soon though. :)

So, does anyone have The Chris Robinson Earth Mud Band debut? I'm planing on buying it tommorow.

keep on phishin' 07-31-2004 09:41 PM

is this the chris robinson from black crowes??? if so...im very interested