Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   bands like Rancid (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251094)

TheNowhereman42 10-14-2004 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=dropkickstreetpunk]badns like rancid uhhh i dont no, u might like the briggs if u like and out come the wolves and lets go, other bands: ducky boys, the unseen and thats all i can think of[/QUOTE]

The Unseen sound nothing like Rancid.

And Rancid (2000) was acctually the album that made me stop listening to them. Least i got to avoid all the indestructable embarrissment. *shrug*

TheNowhereman42 10-14-2004 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=LinkinParkSucks]greenday has a new album, its pretty fukin good[/QUOTE]

you may find that you'r more accepted in the pop-punk forum.

dropkickstreetpunk 10-14-2004 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=i'm_soooo_emo]but matt freeman is soooooooooo good. Listen to maxwell murder, he's so talented.

sorry for the 'sooooooooooo' i just wanted to express just how good he is.[/QUOTE]

thats the only song i think he ever did REALLY good in, can you tell me another good one?

dropkickstreetpunk 10-14-2004 07:15 PM

yeah the uneen really sounds nothing like rancid, whatever

BostonBound988 10-14-2004 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=dropkickstreetpunk]thats the only song i think he ever did REALLY good in, can you tell me another good one?[/QUOTE]
Detroit, Bloodclot, those aren't extremely hard though. He did a lot of really fast stuff on their first album.

mole 10-14-2004 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=shabutie]river city rebels are so poppy

the guy from action-action gave me a demo with them on it, not punk at all[/QUOTE]

It is punk, just poppier. Therefore, it's alot like Rancid. But their songs are so catchy, it's hard for me not to like them.

TheNowhereman42 10-14-2004 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=dropkickstreetpunk]thats the only song i think he ever did REALLY good in, can you tell me another good one?[/QUOTE]

1) Maxwell Murder isn't good, its just impressive. It's the bass version of 80's guitar wanking.

2) Journey to the End had a preatty cool bassline, and he did some pimp stuff with Operation Ivy

skatebum 10-14-2004 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=newzealand_punk]i havent been able to find there cds in any stores grrr but i downloaded a few songs off there site.:thumb:[/QUOTE]

try find their email on punkas or something, thats how my mate got their cd

AndreTheHyenaRidesAgain 10-18-2004 12:53 AM

The River City Rebels have a lot more in common with the Stooges and the New York Dolls and other glam-rock bands then they do with punk rock...

[QUOTE=DBoon's Ghost]I find it amazing when people go to defend Rancid. Listen to Rancid 93 and Let's Go. Notice the progress? Then play "and out come the singles". Now, you can justify it any way you see fit, but it's obvious the direction they took that one album.

I would never say they suck or that they make crap music now, because interpertation is what makes musical indifference so fun to argue. However, you can't argue Billboard charts, record sales, and the audience they attracted.[/QUOTE]

You say you would "never say they suck" because you have to be open-minded and respectful because, sh[i][b][/i][/b]it, let's face it, you're [i]DBoon's Ghost[/i], MX legend! But you say "I find it amazing when people go to defend Rancid"...This is one of [i]the[/i] sh[i][b][/i][/b]ittiest things I've ever heard someone say against a band on MX, and there's been plenty of sh[i][b][/i][/b]it spewed forth. If, for instance, I disliked the Minutemen (which I don't), that would give me absolutely no reason to say "I can't believe people defend them or say how good they are!" That's just fascist and closeted narrow-mindedness. It's sad how one of MX's pillar members has reminded me why I've come to dislike this place so much in the years that I've been here.

AndreTheHyenaRidesAgain 10-18-2004 12:59 AM

[QUOTE=dropkickstreetpunk]badns like rancid uhhh i dont no, u might like the briggs if u like and out come the wolves and lets go, other bands: ducky boys, the unseen and thats all i can think of[/QUOTE]

Word, the Briggs are great. And I completely forgot about the Ducky Boys, I love them and they do sound quite a bit like Rancid.

Sick_boy_Samhain 10-18-2004 05:13 AM

Check out the swedish punk band Bombshell Rocks.

Not the complete Rancid rip-off band, but with similar melodic streetpunk sound. They are on Burning Heart Records, which is kinda sub-label of Epitaph.
And japanese girl punk band (now defunct) Thug Murder had an album which was similar to Rancid's first album.

DBoons Ghost 10-18-2004 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=AndreTheHyenaRidesAgain]The River City Rebels have a lot more in common with the Stooges and the New York Dolls and other glam-rock bands then they do with punk rock...

You say you would "never say they suck" because you have to be open-minded and respectful because, sh[i][b][/i][/b]it, let's face it, you're [i]DBoon's Ghost[/i], MX legend! But you say "I find it amazing when people go to defend Rancid"...This is one of [i]the[/i] sh[i][b][/i][/b]ittiest things I've ever heard someone say against a band on MX, and there's been plenty of sh[i][b][/i][/b]it spewed forth. If, for instance, I disliked the Minutemen (which I don't), that would give me absolutely no reason to say "I can't believe people defend them or say how good they are!" That's just fascist and closeted narrow-mindedness. It's sad how one of MX's pillar members has reminded me why I've come to dislike this place so much in the years that I've been here.[/QUOTE]

Taken out of context dude.

Defending Rancid as the epitome of punk is probably when I was talking about.

Also, the majority of people defending Rancid never heard Let's Go or the 93 self titled album.

To label anything I say as fascist and narrow minded is to me, ridiculous. Fascist? Is that the word you really meant to use? We're talking about music here. I respect anyone's opinion because regarding music there are no facts, only opinions.

Don't take it so serious bro.

SickBoy 10-18-2004 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=TheNowhereman42]he's saying that the'y didn't suck in the 90's, they suck now,but the old stuff is still cool[/QUOTE]

you i like, old rancid i love, new rancid i dont
to me Lets Go is one of top 5 punk albums ever
while Indestructible is one of the top punk pop albums ever

SickOnTheBusYouCunt 10-18-2004 09:44 AM

people shouls stop having wet dreams about maxwell murder

it ISNT his best bass line anyway

better bass lines - hyena, detroit, rejected, the bottle, journey to the end of east bay, radio, axiom, if the kids are united.

there are probably more.

SickBoy 10-18-2004 12:00 PM

i like 7 years down bassline

AndreTheHyenaRidesAgain 10-18-2004 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=DBoon's Ghost]Don't take it so serious bro.[/QUOTE]

It's hard not to take something like that serious, when someone condemns a band that I take quite seriously. But if it was out of context, I rescind most of my comment.