Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Casual - Once more with feeling (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571968)

Spaceman Spiff 04-04-2009 08:30 AM

So we played this show last night. We were told we had time for one more song, and we had two different ways to end the set. One way still had 3 songs left, the other way had one 7 minute song left, which we still haven't perfected, but we're getting close. So we decided to play the 7 minute one, which is a damn hard song to play. Besides some individual sloppiness, we were really tight on it.

The difficulty comes from it being (a) so long and (b) in so three different time signatures, with all kinds of weird things... like a part that's 7 bars of 7/8 and then 1 bar of 4/4. The other time that it's in is 3/4.

Anyway, I'll get a video of it up soon, because, as I said, it's not perfect, but I'm still really proud of how we played it. And I think you people might like it more than most of the stuff we've done.

Sablate McNuff 04-04-2009 09:30 AM

[quote=EADGCF;17161710]But you can do so so so so much more with a looper than just run a bass into it. A mixer gets you as many inputs as you want. MIDI gets you as many synthesized timbres you want. Add external hardware (eg. effects pedals) if you want. I don't even really use my bass with my looper anymore. Currently I have my guitar and keyboard going in, with an octave effect for the bass parts.[/quote]

Very true, which is why I didn't discredit it at all. I just think that, for my personal use, I couldn't see needing that much functionality.

Props to people like you, though, who can take a piece of gear like that and maximize its potential. I admire that.

Sablate McNuff 04-04-2009 09:37 AM

[quote=Spaceman Spiff;17161862]So we played this show last night. We were told we had time for one more song, and we had two different ways to end the set. One way still had 3 songs left, the other way had one 7 minute song left, which we still haven't perfected, but we're getting close. So we decided to play the 7 minute one, which is a damn hard song to play. Besides some individual sloppiness, we were really tight on it.

The difficulty comes from it being (a) so long and (b) in so three different time signatures, with all kinds of weird things... like a part that's 7 bars of 7/8 and then 1 bar of 4/4. The other time that it's in is 3/4.

Anyway, I'll get a video of it up soon, because, as I said, it's not perfect, but I'm still really proud of how we played it. And I think you people might like it more than most of the stuff we've done.[/quote]

I'm curious to see it this 7-minute masterpiece...and it better be good, because all of your other sh*t sucks. :p

Spaceman Spiff 04-04-2009 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=Sablate McNuff;17161889]I'm curious to see it this 7-minute masterpiece...and it better be good, because all of your other sh*t sucks. :p[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I'm so anxious to show you. I'm so proud of this stuff. We've been told that the music is beautiful... that's an awesome compliment.

Spaceman Spiff 04-04-2009 09:45 AM

It was a pretty whack show, though. Out of 4 performers, we were the only band. The other 3 were singer/guitarists. I heard the same song about 30 times last night, it went: G C D G. All 3 of the guys did it for their entire set. It was excrutiating. And some of the worst lyrics you've ever heard.

Sablate McNuff 04-04-2009 10:18 AM

[quote=Spaceman Spiff;17161899]It was a pretty whack show, though. Out of 4 performers, we were the only band. The other 3 were singer/guitarists. I heard the same song about 30 times last night, it went: G C D G. All 3 of the guys did it for their entire set. It was excrutiating. And some of the worst lyrics you've ever heard.[/quote]

Don't complain. Pop a couple aspirin, sit through it, and appreciate how much better you look by comparison, especially in the public eye. If you stand out, you'll be remembered.

Sablate McNuff 04-04-2009 10:27 AM

In other news, I just pieced together this old hookah, and it's rather ghetto at the moment. I've decided to give it to my sister for he 18th birthday, but I want to re-color it. I'm not going to buy a new bowl, so I'll have the one currently on there, which is the orange bowl in the back:

[img]http://www.hookahkings.com/images/uploads/COLOREDBOWLS_L.jpg[/img]

The color is actually a little closer to this:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/funkmetalbass/bowlcolor.jpg[/img]

I'm going to stain both the glass base and the metal stem. Any suggestions on a color scheme that would work well with that? I'm kind of thinking that a nice Blue/Silver combo with a hose to match the bowl might look kind of nice.

BenJammin 04-04-2009 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=EADGCF;17161710]Ok. But if you ever want something simpler. :)

But you can do so so so so much more with a looper than just run a bass into it. A mixer gets you as many inputs as you want. MIDI gets you as many synthesized timbres you want. Add external hardware (eg. effects pedals) if you want. I don't even really use my bass with my looper anymore. Currently I have my guitar and keyboard going in, with an octave effect for the bass parts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm going to get a 1/4" to 1/8" cable so I can hook my laptop into my looper and use Reason to loop with.

m-dirnt_fan101 04-04-2009 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=Sablate McNuff;17161925]In other news, I just pieced together this old hookah, and it's rather ghetto at the moment. I've decided to give it to my sister for he 18th birthday, but I want to re-color it. I'm not going to buy a new bowl, so I'll have the one currently on there, which is the orange bowl in the back:

[img]http://www.hookahkings.com/images/uploads/COLOREDBOWLS_L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/funkmetalbass/bowlcolor.jpg[/img]

I'm going to stain both the glass base and the metal stem. Any suggestions on a color scheme that would work well with that? I'm kind of thinking that a nice Blue/Silver combo with a hose to match the bowl might look kind of nice.[/QUOTE]

what is that?

Sablate McNuff 04-04-2009 11:58 AM

A hookah? It's a water pipe designed for smoking shisha (tobacco with a molasses flavoring).

[img]http://www.hookahkings.com/images/uploads/Habibi-Junior_Hookah_b.jpg[/img]

They come in an infinite number of styles, hoses, and color combinations.

The one I posted is a very basic hookah and is a lot like the one I want to give to my sister. I just need to find a color combo that will work with the orange-ish bowl (the very top part of the hookah, where the tobacco is placed).

EADGCF 04-04-2009 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17161936]Yeah, I'm going to get a 1/4" to 1/8" cable so I can hook my laptop into my looper and use Reason to loop with.[/QUOTE]

What do you use for a MIDI controller? I've used a keyboard but it's obviously not hands-free. I'd like to experiment with a MIDI foot controller.

Sablate McNuff 04-04-2009 07:52 PM

[quote=Sablate McNuff;17161925]In other news, I just pieced together this old hookah, and it's rather ghetto at the moment. I've decided to give it to my sister for he 18th birthday, but I want to re-color it. I'm not going to buy a new bowl, so I'll have the one currently on there, which is the orange bowl in the back:

[IMG]http://www.hookahkings.com/images/uploads/COLOREDBOWLS_L.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/funkmetalbass/bowlcolor.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going to stain both the glass base and the metal stem. Any suggestions on a color scheme that would work well with that? I'm kind of thinking that a nice Blue/Silver combo with a hose to match the bowl might look kind of nice.[/quote]

Help?

BenJammin 04-05-2009 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=EADGCF;17162897]What do you use for a MIDI controller? I've used a keyboard but it's obviously not hands-free. I'd like to experiment with a MIDI foot controller.[/QUOTE]

All I've got is a Korg K49 keyboard. Pretty basic stuff.

Spaceman Spiff 04-05-2009 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17163006]All I've got is a Korg K49 keyboard. Pretty basic stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of getting a MicroKorg. Ideally, I'd want a Moog of some sort (I want a synth with a vocoder), but any Moog will be at least $1500. The MicroKorg I can get for $300-350 if I go used.

Also, would you be interested in checking out a live video of my band from Friday? We played this new song, not flawlessly, but we played it quite well. It's a really hard song we've been working on for a while, and will appear on the next album.

Here's the video: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7eOufcwJE0[/url]

BenJammin 04-05-2009 07:20 PM

Yeah, I'll check it out.

Spaceman Spiff 04-05-2009 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17163047]Yeah, I'll check it out.[/QUOTE]

I think you (you in particular) will like it more than our other earlier stuff... can't guarantee, but I think it'll appeal to you more.

BenJammin 04-05-2009 07:30 PM

You know what happens when you assume, Spiff. :)

Spaceman Spiff 04-05-2009 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17163072]You know what happens when you assume, Spiff. :)[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Oh well.

Epidemechanical 04-05-2009 07:49 PM

lol@what just happened

Spaceman Spiff 04-05-2009 08:14 PM

It really doesn't bother me that you guys don't like the music I make. I know some people like us and some people don't, that's how it goes with anything. I'm perfectly willing to engage in conversation with either type of person about it, though.

I'd definitely like to show you guys the album when it's recorded. I can't say if you'll like it or not, but it's music I definitely like listening to. That said, I'm notorious for having ridiculous taste in music.

Sablate McNuff 04-05-2009 08:38 PM

I think I'm going to quit MX. Constant server problems, nobody can help me with my hookah color issues...

TB, here I come.

Sablate McNuff 04-05-2009 08:57 PM

Just got back from TB.

I like MX better.

Spiff, I'll check out your stuff tomorrow. I just feel too shitty to try to listen to anything and review it.

Gattsu347 04-05-2009 09:15 PM

get black dude.

burtonbassist_102 04-05-2009 10:17 PM

so, this really respected bass player/music teacher in my town has heard about me (he's been playing in a band with my mom, who also plays bass) and wants to meet up with me this week.

i'm really excited. this guy is amazing, and he wants to see what i've got.

BenJammin 04-05-2009 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=burtonbassist_101;17163504]so, this really respected bass player/music teacher in my town has heard about me (he's been playing in a band with my mom, who also plays bass) and wants to meet up with me this week.

i'm really excited. this guy is amazing, and he wants to see what i've got.[/QUOTE]

He's already seen what your mom's got. :naughty:

Mr. Pickle 04-05-2009 10:23 PM

Peavey Classic 50 vs Fender Hot Rod Deville

Go!

EADGCF 04-05-2009 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=BenJammin;17163006]All I've got is a Korg K49 keyboard. Pretty basic stuff.[/QUOTE]

I meant to use as a foot controller for a looper, unless you are really accurate with those toes.

BenJammin 04-05-2009 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=EADGCF;17163531]I meant to use as a foot controller for a looper, unless you are really accurate with those toes.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a foot controller yet.

m-dirnt_fan101 04-06-2009 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Pickle;17163518]Peavey Classic 50 vs Fender Hot Rod Deville

Go![/QUOTE]

I would have to say Fender

Mr. Pickle 04-06-2009 12:57 AM

why?