Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The Official Jam Band Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207777)

Tangy zizzle 07-16-2004 11:39 PM

I wouldn't consider The Band to be a jam band, they were too good for that.

Badmoon 07-16-2004 11:45 PM

[SIZE=6]^Get the hell out a here you crazy alt. bastard!!!!![/SIZE] :angry:

*In oldman voice :p*

No, they pretty much suited it, but they were to serious.

prsinthismutha 07-17-2004 09:16 PM

Why wouldn't Dave Matthews Band be a jam band? They are all talented, musically sensible and wairy players, and are able to communicate collectively with each other on stage as a functioning unit. On Jimi Thing live, they pass the spotlight to each member of the band spontaniously....and keep it worthy! I'm tired of people denouncing DMB because of their mainstream success. If Phish had gone bigtime with Lawn Boy or Junta would you still call them a jam band? Of course you would......because they fit the criteria of a talented multi-cultured band that is able to play together successfully and bring an unconventional element to the table. DMB is no different, minus Billboard charting and a placing on forbes richest list.

prsinthismutha 07-17-2004 09:18 PM

I ****ing love The Band......Robbie Robertson and Co. = Good Canadian Boys

keep on phishin' 07-17-2004 09:25 PM

sadly ive only heard a couple songs from The Band :upset:

Badmoon 07-17-2004 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=prsinthismutha]Why wouldn't Dave Matthews Band be a jam band? They are all talented, musically sensible and wairy players, and are able to communicate collectively with each other on stage as a functioning unit. On Jimi Thing live, they pass the spotlight to each member of the band spontaniously....and keep it worthy! I'm tired of people denouncing DMB because of their mainstream success. If Phish had gone bigtime with Lawn Boy or Junta would you still call them a jam band? Of course you would......because they fit the criteria of a talented multi-cultured band that is able to play together successfully and bring an unconventional element to the table. DMB is no different, minus Billboard charting and a placing on forbes richest list.[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about. We call DMB a Jam Band!!!!!!! And Jimi Hendrix is not a Jam Band/

e p 07-17-2004 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=badmoon349]What the hell are you talking about. We call DMB a Jam Band!!!!!!! And Jimi Hendrix is not a Jam Band/[/QUOTE]

Hes talking about the DMB song "Jimi thing".

And yes we already stated that DMB was included in thi discussion.

Badmoon 07-18-2004 11:07 AM

^Ohh okay, well it was still out of line.

prsinthismutha 07-18-2004 02:59 PM

Im refering to the page before (or maybe i was refering to another thread about dmb....and sorry if I didn't explain that well enough). I guess i missed the statement about the jam band part. And I'm not that ****ing dumb to think that Hendrix is a jam band, so take it easy

prsinthismutha 07-18-2004 03:01 PM

Well since this is the official jam band thread, I wanna say that It pisses me off that some people still don't appreciate DMB as a jam band.....and sorry again for the misunderstnading

Badmoon 07-18-2004 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=prsinthismutha]Im refering to the page before (or maybe i was refering to another thread about dmb....and sorry if I didn't explain that well enough). I guess i missed the statement about the jam band part. And I'm not that ****ing dumb to think that Hendrix is a jam band, so take it easy[/QUOTE]

Well, being that songs should be surrounded by quotes, how the hell should I know, I don't even care for DMB. So, calm your [COLOR=White]as[/COLOR]s down.

prsinthismutha 07-18-2004 03:52 PM

man I'm not the one making a big deal about it, sorry I'm fairly new here and didn't know I needed " " around it. but neways its over...forget i even said anything

Kingadamx 07-18-2004 04:52 PM

I would say that old DMB could be considered a Jam Band earlier in their career, but not as much anymore.

keep on phishin' 07-18-2004 05:00 PM

dmb are a little to poppy for my tastes but i still consider them a jam band. just not a jam band that i like

Badmoon 07-18-2004 05:17 PM

They're a Jam Band, they may have taken a different route, but they still fit the category. The Spin Doctors are the same way, but not with the same route.

e p 07-18-2004 05:20 PM

DMB are a great jam band with great early material, but theyve been corrupted by Glen Ballard (everyday) made them too poppy. Luckily theyve strayed from that. If you listen to their live recordings they have great jams. Who wouldnt with that tight of a rhythm section?

Kingadamx 07-18-2004 05:29 PM

Okay Then Lets go to [B]Dave Matthews Band[/B]

My Favorite Song: Jimi Thing
My Favorite Album: Under The Table and Dreaming

Badmoon 07-18-2004 05:31 PM

I just can't get into his music. I've rented about 3 of his CD's from my library and have listened to each numerous amounts of times, but it just doesn't attract me.

Kingadamx 07-18-2004 05:32 PM

^^What Albums did you rent?

Badmoon 07-18-2004 05:44 PM

[I]Everyday[/I], [I]Crash[/I], and some live one.

prsinthismutha 07-18-2004 05:44 PM

Favorite Song: The Stone or Warehouse
Favorite Album: Crash

YDload 07-18-2004 05:52 PM

I have "Crash" too, but I don't listen to it anymore. I bought it back when I was learning to play the baritone saxophone, and I liked the guy's sax solos and stuff in songs like "Too Much" and "So Much To Say." I didn't care for ballads like "Crash Into Me," and I still don't.

Suffice to say, I think Dave Matthews Band is overrated college/stoner rock. It's like that one line from a cartoon (I think it was "Futurama"):

Fry: So I'm the most important person in the universe? That feeling I get when I'm drunk is true?

Nibbler: Yes, except that the Dave Matthews Band does not rock.

e p 07-18-2004 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=badmoon349][I]Everyday[/I], [I]Crash[/I], and some live one.[/QUOTE]

No everyday is horrible. Most DMB fans will tell you that. Crash is ok. What I would do is get Before these Crowded Streets and Under the Table and Dreaming and get the entire Central Park concert. Its worth it and might change your perspective.

Favorite song: Ants Marching, Crush
Favorite Album: Before These Crowded Streets

Badmoon 07-18-2004 09:15 PM

^I would hope so. :)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-19-2004 12:19 PM

is anyone into jam band (or any band ) bootlegs? I got into it a while ago after seeing Vida Blue.

keep on phishin' 07-19-2004 01:50 PM

^yes i have a moe bootleg where they covered dark side of the moon for their haloween show good stuff.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond 07-19-2004 02:15 PM

do you mean phish? cause I know phish is famous for doing the halloween covers (DSotM, White Album)...I didnt know about Moe. Whats the date of the show?

keep on phishin' 07-19-2004 02:23 PM

^oops my bad it was phish, they did also cover velvet underground's loaded which was really cool if ur into the vu.

Kingadamx 07-19-2004 05:17 PM

^^Yeah it is an awesome cover of Loaded. Phish covers Freebird using only their voices, it is awesome. It is on the same Live Album as their cover of Loaded.

e p 07-19-2004 05:20 PM

Yeah its pretty hard not to dl songs for jam bands such as phish, who are famous for great tours that you can only get online. I know there are bootlegs/live recordings but i dont know where to get them.