Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Guitar (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Home Recording Thread (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581762)

Xomblies 11-19-2010 06:42 PM

what do you mean enterprise environment?

Convectuoso 11-19-2010 10:58 PM

[quote=The Black Fist;18278940]> view automation
> on Output 1-2 track click once at -99 at the beginning of fade and once at 0.0 at the end of the fade

holy shit that was hard eh

edit you could also use the automation curve to make the fade not be a straight line BUT NOW WERE JUST GETTIGN COMPLICATED

GOOD LUCK *GASP*[/quote]
Talking about region fades, not automation fades :o As in, have fun editing an entire session full of drums, vocals, guitar, bass, harmonies etc etc etc etc. If you want a nice and tidy session devoid of noise and crud then you need to cut out all the crap. And man can that take a long time in Logic. Even in PT it takes awhile but I'd say at least 200% quicker.

Xomblies: Can you honestly tell me you could stand doing fades with a mouse? I do almost all my editing via keyboard. If that is what you are saying, I can only assume top right means the icon that changes what the mouse does when you hold command down?

[QUOTE]it matters not what DAW you use as long as you know how to work it HARD [/QUOTE]
Shh you, you know PT is the most intuitive DAW out there.

And now they have open systems everyone can stop bitching about Digidesign/Avid hardware, or ya know you can hold a grudge or bitch about non existent bugs etc (not pointing fingers at anyone on here), or you can be compatible with a bunch more people and increase your work flow ten fold.

The Transporter 11-20-2010 11:49 AM

[quote=Kuffuffled;18279416]You can't raid on mac towers? I'd for sure have mirrored drives if I had a legit studio running[/quote]
you can, but...

[quote=Xomblies;18279417]what do you mean enterprise environment?[/quote]
Enterprise basically means business environment with tons of users. When you are storign the data of that many people a tower cannot hold enough high quality, server rated drives. SANs (storage area networks) are basically rack mountable harddrive holders that you can conenct servers to for storage. apples XSERVE raid was one such thing, but they required special drives and special drive modules (you have to put hte drive in the module before you can put it in the SAN). then after two years of makign it they were just like "lol jk guys hope you didn't need any extra drives or modules" and just dropped out of the market. when calling them several times to find out what you're supposed to do, they said go to the new Apple standard which was a SAN made by a company called Promise. They were the official scanctioned "SAN" for apple machines. So essentially they said "your $20k is now obsolete after two years because we said so, time to by another $20k box. u mad?"

Moseph 11-20-2010 01:40 PM

[quote=Convectuoso;18279624]Talking about region fades, not automation fades :o As in, have fun editing an entire session full of drums, vocals, guitar, bass, harmonies etc etc etc etc. If you want a nice and tidy session devoid of noise and crud then you need to cut out all the crap. And man can that take a long time in Logic. Even in PT it takes awhile but I'd say at least 200% quicker.[/quote]

Okay, point of interest: why is the region (or clip/waveform/whatever) fade preferred to automation fades for this? Why wouldn't an automation curve do the same thing? Failing that, why could a quick waveform edit also not do what you're talking about?

Keep in mind that this is coming from somebody who's used Logic for about 45 minutes in total in his life and none of that time was spent editing.

EmbraceRandom 11-20-2010 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=The Transporter;18279403]I'm talking for a SAN. You can do that, but for an enterprise environment it isn't feasible. The fact is, they stop sellign the drive modules (which are necessary to add harddrives to the SAN) as well as the harddrives that work with the san. there is no reason that they couldnt have used standardized shit or continued to make/sell those. they're just dicks and don't care

they're a terrible company, and people keep drinking their koolaid because they're too dumb to know any better.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more.

[QUOTE=Convectuoso;18279624]Talking about region fades, not automation fades :o As in, have fun editing an entire session full of drums, vocals, guitar, bass, harmonies etc etc etc etc. If you want a nice and tidy session devoid of noise and crud then you need to cut out all the crap. And man can that take a long time in Logic. Even in PT it takes awhile but I'd say at least 200% quicker. [/quote]
Hold on, if someone was editing in Logic (as Moseph said) they could just edit the regions, i.e. cut the 'silence' and unwanted material, rather than fade it. Whenever I do this in PT, granted, I use region fades at the beginning and end of all the 'micro' regions to avoid clicks, but realistically, if the level is low enough (and it's unlikely you'd be cutting in the middle of a busy waveform), there won't be much of a click to hear.

[quote]And now they have open systems everyone can stop bitching about Digidesign/Avid hardware, or ya know you can hold a grudge or bitch about non existent bugs etc (not pointing fingers at anyone on here), or you can be compatible with a bunch more people and increase your work flow ten fold.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad they've done this, it was a smart business move, otherwise they'd have been just as bad as Apple.

Modern Iconoclast 11-20-2010 06:45 PM

Can any of you guys who are familiar with Reaper explain how I go about sending each of the channels from Superior Drummer 2 to individual tracks in Reaper? The way I tried seems like it should be right but it's only sending channel 1.

Convectuoso 11-21-2010 12:05 AM

[quote=Moseph;18280271]Okay, point of interest: why is the region (or clip/waveform/whatever) fade preferred to automation fades for this? Why wouldn't an automation curve do the same thing? Failing that, why could a quick waveform edit also not do what you're talking about?

Keep in mind that this is coming from somebody who's used Logic for about 45 minutes in total in his life and none of that time was spent editing.[/quote]
Because regions fades are often easier, more flexible, more precision and can be done via key commands. Where automation is almost always the opposite, in every DAW.

And by waveform I'm assuming you mean a slightly destructive gain reduction on the action file? And by slightly destructive I mean once you do this, then go ahead and do a bunch of other stuff you can't undo it? Actually you could if you dragged the original waveform back in or dragged it back out (Can sometimes be done in Pro Tools, a few depending variables).

Either way region edits are the bomb in pro tools and I've used almost every DAW for editing.

And I can do so many things in Pro Tools that I couldn't even begin to think how I could do in other DAWs. Yes I could learn, but Pro Tools already makes sense to me, they now use open architecture, and it doesn't cost the world to get into a pretty much fully functioning *for my needs* set up.

[QUOTE]
Hold on, if someone was editing in Logic (as Moseph said) they could just edit the regions, i.e. cut the 'silence' and unwanted material, rather than fade it. Whenever I do this in PT, granted, I use region fades at the beginning and end of all the 'micro' regions to avoid clicks, but realistically, if the level is low enough (and it's unlikely you'd be cutting in the middle of a busy waveform), there won't be much of a click to hear.[/QUOTE]
Cut silence can only go so far IME. And I've found I prefer PT cut silence to Logic cut silence, but that's personal preference, there's nothing wrong with Logic's cut silence. I just like PT how I can zoom in real close and see what the regions will look like after I cut teh silence.

Clicks are death man, get rid of every single one if you can hear them, they can just fuck with your head.

EmbraceRandom 11-21-2010 05:40 AM

A click occurs when a waveform is cut from its natural flow, causing a sudden steep wave which resembles that of a high frequency wave, hence why clicks are HF. You can cut where the waveform nulls and there will be not click.
And I know there's the strip silence utility but I meant if you were doing it manually. I use strip silence to separate the waveforms but I only aim for around -40db on it, I'd prefer to do the rest manually.

[QUOTE=Modern Iconoclast;18280556]Can any of you guys who are familiar with Reaper explain how I go about sending each of the channels from Superior Drummer 2 to individual tracks in Reaper? The way I tried seems like it should be right but it's only sending channel 1.[/QUOTE]
Someone asked a similar question recently but about Cubase. It should be very similar, see if this helps:
[url]http://sputnikmusic.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18271050&postcount=16[/url]

Moseph 11-21-2010 11:10 AM

[quote=Convectuoso;18280907]And by waveform I'm assuming you mean a slightly destructive gain reduction on the action file?[/quote]

No, that was just to clarify what we're talking about. The audio forms are called "regions" in Pro Tools, but have other names in other software. I think Cubase/Sonar calls them clips, and I think KAE calls them "waveforms." I don't know what Logic (or e.g., Reaper) might call them. It was basically to clarify that you knew that I was specifically talking about waveform editing and not automation editing.

For the record, it's been my experience that automation editing is every bit as exact as region fades (and in some DAWs, it can be more exact), and can sometimes be preferable (e.g., you're notching out quick clicks or flubbed notes).

The Transporter 11-22-2010 08:42 AM

[quote=Modern Iconoclast;18280556]Can any of you guys who are familiar with Reaper explain how I go about sending each of the channels from Superior Drummer 2 to individual tracks in Reaper? The way I tried seems like it should be right but it's only sending channel 1.[/quote]
if you do "track > create new track with vst instrument" (may not be exact verbiage, but it's somewhere right towards the top) it will automatically make the extra tracks for you. then within superior drummer 2 you should be able to click something that routes them to the separate tracks.

i'd recommend trying addictive drums though, sound way better than super drummer in my opinion

Modern Iconoclast 11-22-2010 10:34 AM

Thanks, I finally figured it out. I had all the proper tracks but for some reason I was only getting sound from the kick drum track, it had to do with the routing from the midi track with SD to the audio tracks, it's a bit different than what I'm used to.

Xomblies 11-22-2010 11:40 AM

gaiz, fades aren't why people use pro tools over logic in a professional environment, it's mainly the workflow speed of pro tools vs logic and in what type of setting.

This is based off personal experience so if you can really shred either DAW up doing the opposite i implore you to share, Pro tools is better for mass editing and very fast precision editing with things like beat detective, sound replacement and a really slick set of hotkeys to switch what tool you're using (eg one button switches) where logic is layed out to be a much better production DAW, instrument browsers that load instruments to the selected track with one click, automatic bussing to aux channels (which i hear is a feature in pt9). Midi in logic is a bit better in logic as instead of just having two main windows like pro tools, logic you can have as many different windows as you like, so for my production setting i have an editor window, a mixer window, a midi window and an automation window. where pro tools you have to go through a few more keystrokes to get to midi which isn't anything like switching between the mix and edit window. so my take is mostly artists write in something like logic or ableton and then when it comes time to track, edit and mix, they use the pro tools (which is a really gay name i think)

Ultimately i think this argument is silly, as long as you can tell your DAW to use high end hardware i don't see why you would need to learn more than one and MASTER it. Each one has its strong points to the immediate learning curve but once you get good at really utilizing whichever one you like to work in the most it doesn't really matter. I like HD because you can CONTROL the delay compensation, for reaper and logic it's automatic, something that SHOULD be included in LE which is why mixing in LE sucks bawls. There are a lot more in depth reasons why one would go one way or the other, but i'm not skilled enough in ALL of the daw's to say which is better for what and why. I'm good at pro toolin' and am only getting better. Logic, i'm still getting the hang of but is also really sweet.

What you bitches SHOULD be arguing about is who's room is treated better and which monitors color the mix less. A good room and a pair of nice honest monitors will make a bigger difference in the end product rather than what freakin daw you're using

Kuffuffled 11-22-2010 05:27 PM

Convection gets a boner from boasting about pro tools

Moseph 11-22-2010 06:19 PM

[quote=Xomblies;18283068]as long as you can tell your DAW to use high end hardware i don't see why you would need to learn more than one[/quote]

While I agree that "mastery" is a good goal to have with your preferred software, there's actually 2 big reasons to learn a few different DAWs:

(01) Collaboration. The home market isn't like the professional market. It's not all Pro Tools/Logic/Cubase out there, though you do see them a lot. A lot of folks stick to whatever OEM software came with their first audio interface. Cubase used to have a near-monopoly there, but now you get a lot of StudioOne and Sonar instead. A couple of years ago the big contenders for that route were Tracktion and Live. Then you get people who stick with whatever gets recommended online. That means a lot of "flavor of the forum" stuff is getting used. Tracktion and Live pop up again, but this where you also find most of your Reaper, energyXT and Mixcraft users. There's also the "box store" crowd, so folks out there are using Audition or Magix software. Lastly there's the "free and stolen" users out there, and those crowds tend to have a lot of Cool Edit/Audition, FL Studio, KAE, Audacity, Garageband and most of your Linux options (Ardour, Rosegarden, etc.).

Basically, if you want to work with other people in the home studio crowds, you'll at least need to be able to apply what you know to other DAWs, if you can't swing actual proficiency.

I personally have come across users of (off the top of my head) Cubase, Sonar, Audition, Logic, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Tracktion, Audacity and Garageband. Some of them I did projects with, some of them I did projects [I]for[/I], some of them I tutored in the basics of the software, and a few of them I only conversed with for awhile.

(02) Filling gaps. Particularly at the lower-end of the spectrum, you might find that you amass a lot of different software to handle specific needs. It's not uncommon to have the entry level and/or freeware version of something to handle what you need to do.

Basing on my own history, at one point I was using Audacity for waveform editing, KAE for recording/mixing, FL Studio for drum sequencing, and Anvil Studio for any MIDI work I needed to do. The reason was that there were free versions/demos and as a beginner I didn't know what was missing from each software, and it was often easier to fill gaps with some other specialized package than re-learn everything on something new from scratch.

There's also something to be said about the learning process itself. If you can figure out the weaknesses and strengths of a bunch of different software, and still make each one do what you need to do, chances are you've got a pretty good handle on how things are happening behind-the-GUI as well.

The Black Fist 11-22-2010 09:03 PM

wait wait

pro tools is open architecture now

ie you can use any hardware with it is that what that means

my head just exploded

Convectuoso 11-23-2010 12:03 AM

[quote=The Black Fist;18283795]wait wait

pro tools is open architecture now

ie you can use any hardware with it is that what that means

my head just exploded[/quote]
now he gets it! :lol:

Convectuoso 11-23-2010 12:05 AM

[quote=Xomblies;1828306]What you bitches SHOULD be arguing about is who's room is treated better and which monitors color the mix less. A good room and a pair of nice honest monitors will make a bigger difference in the end product rather than what freakin daw you're using[/quote]
yeah but that costs more to argue about :upset:

EmbraceRandom 11-23-2010 04:29 AM

You'd be surprised at how affordable acoustically-treating a room can be, with some DIY skills. And the KRK Rokit 8's aren't the worst speakers in the world, especially for the money. Either way, if you got used to them, you'd be able to compensate for anything that is different between them and more expensive speakers

nic0le 11-23-2010 08:57 AM

i want to buy and interface to record some of my playing onto my computer..i have no idea how much to spend..

im probably not asking enough questions..

right now im using a tascam dp 008 but everyones tellin me to go to an interface and record to the computer.

benfan 11-23-2010 09:35 AM

Have a look at the fast-track usb interface or a line 6 UX2. Do you have a DAW on your computer to record with.

nic0le 11-23-2010 09:40 AM

yeah i downloaded audacity already..idk if thats what your askin..but i have that on here..

EmbraceRandom 11-23-2010 10:07 AM

maybe try looking at some M-audio interfaces and then get Reaper, if you're a student or can someone who is a student to get it for you, it'd only be £25/$40 and it's much better than audacity.

You would be better visiting www.soundonsound.com and using the newbie forums there, they were incredibly helpful back when I first got started setting my studio up

The Transporter 11-23-2010 11:42 AM

yes to the m-audio interface and reaper as your DAW

the line6 drivers blow so you'd have to use asio4all. im pretty sure kuffluffs uses m-audio and his latency is way better than my line6

Shadows Within 11-23-2010 11:43 AM

yeah m-audio is ok driver wise, asio4all works better though.

nic0le 11-23-2010 12:11 PM

thanks guys..not sure what all that means but ill definately look into some of the details

EmbraceRandom 11-23-2010 12:17 PM

Reaper is a DAW (digital audio workstation), the software you would use instead of Audacity:
[url]http://www.reaper.fm/[/url]

M-Audio make 'audio interfaces', which are essentially glorified sound cards. They allow you to 'interface' a microphone (or other input, such as MIDI keyboard) with your computer and DAW.
M-Audio make pretty good gear at good prices.

If you tell us what exactly you want to be recording etc., then it's easier to work out what kind of gear you'll be needing

nic0le 11-23-2010 12:57 PM

i play alot of hard fat tone blues..semi hard rock..deep fuzz solos

im developing my own style of playing

i dont even like to say its alot like so and so..becasue its not..its mine..

so..idk if that helps lol

EmbraceRandom 11-23-2010 01:01 PM

I'll put it another way; why do you want to set yourself up with a project studio? What instruments do you want to record? Do you want to learn how to mix the tracks as well, or just record?

nic0le 11-23-2010 01:59 PM

i think just record..

benfan 11-24-2010 05:10 AM

So you dont want to create your own songs to burn onto c.d's or upload online?

I_am_the_one 11-24-2010 05:41 AM

[QUOTE=nic0le;18284922]i think just record..[/QUOTE]

An audio interface such as the M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface will cost you about 200$, and then you'll eventually need a Digital Audio Workstation like SONAR, Logic, Cubase, or Garageband, Pro Tools and Cakewalk to record onto your computer.

For about the same price, you can get a digital multi-effects pedal with usb capabilities that comes with recording software for your computer such as the Digitech RP355, Zoom G2.1nu or even something from Line 6...just a few more ideas for you to think about.

Pete 11-24-2010 05:55 AM

i think maybe get a better grasp of what it is you're trying to do before blowing money on anything

buy like a dictaphone or something, until you yourself understand what it is you want to do

nic0le 11-24-2010 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=benfan;18285881]So you dont want to create your own songs to burn onto c.d's or upload online?[/QUOTE]

my tascam has the ability to do this already....

the only thing id ike to so is have all the features of my tascam has on my computer instead..

Pete 11-24-2010 07:41 AM

buy any audio interface ("external soundcard") and download a program called REAPER from [url]http://www.reaper.fm[/url]

for help re: the audio interface, consult the manual of the one you buy

for help re: REAPER, visit their forums

if youre already comfortable using a portastudio like the dp-008, you should be able to get how to record in a DAW with a little help

The Transporter 11-24-2010 09:53 AM

wat kind of monitors do u guys use

benfan 11-24-2010 10:08 AM

Dont have any yet due to cash. Im using a pair of DT990 Pro's and they are fine for what i need.

I have a problem maybe someone can help with. I was halfway through a project in Cubase and i decided to move all my audio files onto an external harddrive. Now whenever i open the project up it keeps asking me to 'Resolve Missing Files', but since i moved everything to the other HDD iv completely changed the project and saved it again with a different name, the only thing that remains is the tempo track. Any ideas?

nic0le 11-24-2010 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=The Transporter;18286141]wat kind of monitors do u guys use[/QUOTE]

i think mine are BX5a's by M-Audio..

The Transporter 11-24-2010 10:34 AM

[quote=benfan;18286161]Dont have any yet due to cash. Im using a pair of DT990 Pro's and they are fine for what i need.

I have a problem maybe someone can help with. I was halfway through a project in Cubase and i decided to move all my audio files onto an external harddrive. Now whenever i open the project up it keeps asking me to 'Resolve Missing Files', but since i moved everything to the other HDD iv completely changed the project and saved it again with a different name, the only thing that remains is the tempo track. Any ideas?[/quote]
it's looking for the files in the old location

[quote=nic0le;18286191]i think mine are BX5a's by M-Audio..[/quote]
I'm using Senheiser HD555's now, but they are definitely not mixing headphones LOLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOLOL

nic0le 11-24-2010 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=The Transporter;18286195]

I'm using Senheiser HD555's now, but they are definitely not mixing headphones LOLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOLOL[/QUOTE]

lolol

benfan 11-24-2010 10:39 AM

Yeah i get that but its whole list of them, and the only file which is the same now is the tempo track. How do i get rid of it, cause whenever i cross it off the session works fine.