PDA

View Full Version : is there a perfect guitar for me?

giventofly
01-11-2005, 04:59 PM
since i'm an alt/indie guy, i'm into bands like the thrills, beck, sunny day real estate, the fire theft, snow patrol, radiohead, oasis, the flaming lips and whathaveyou....my top three favorite bands are the postal service, death cab for cutie...and the not so much indie PEARL JAM....my music is a mixture between death cab and snow patrol (very light and soft but upbeat at the same time) and i'm wondering how to get that tone i love so much...i know for a fact that ben gibbard of DCFC plays fenders, and i know PJ plays fenders and i've been playing guitar for a **** while, so i deserve a nice expensive one....i was just wondering what everybody would recommend...what do you guys think?.....telecaster?

bizkit7317
01-11-2005, 05:03 PM
I think you should get a Les Paul 70's style or a 60's re-issue of the strat.

overturned
01-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Snow Patrol play 72 custom's...Well, last I saw of them they did.
But the perfect guitar for you is not what your favourite bands play, the perfect guitar for you is the one that in your opinion sounds best, feels best, plays best, looks best and you can afford.
As well as this, the sound will mostly be comming from the amps, generally with indie bands an Orange AD, Fender blackface or vintage Marshall...GENERALLY not my generalization...take it with salt...

To get YOUR guitar you have to try everything and then some. Your perfect guitar is somewhere out there, not neccesarily in the hands of your favourite bands guitarist.

americanfootball
01-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Telecaster - absolutely. Ben Gibbard plays a Fender Bullet, based on the Tele shape and both Snow Patrol guitarists play Telecasters. Plus if you want to play anything else, the Tele will be up to it.

As overturned said, amps are an important factor too. Although I don't think you'd need a real vintage Marshall - they reissued all the good ones.

thisistj
01-11-2005, 05:14 PM
But the perfect guitar for you is not what your favourite bands play, the perfect guitar for you is the one that in your opinion sounds best, feels best, plays best, looks best and you can afford.

giventofly
01-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Snow Patrol play 72 custom's...Well, last I saw of them they did.
As well as this, the sound will mostly be comming from the amps, generally with indie bands an Orange AD, Fender blackface or vintage Marshall...GENERALLY not my generalization...take it with salt...

To get YOUR guitar you have to try everything and then some. Your perfect guitar is somewhere out there, not neccesarily in the hands of your favourite bands guitarist.

well, you make a really good point, but i've tried lots of guitars, and it seems like my voice goes really well with the fender tone...it just so happens that my favorite bands to sing with play the fenders, that's why i got the urge to buy one...

giventofly
01-11-2005, 05:26 PM
i know chris walla (DCFC) plays a '52 fender tele....but i'm not really sure where to get these things....they sound all old and hard to get, but yeah, i really need a new amp too....ben gibbard uses a Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve and a Fender Blues Junior....OOO MAYBE I SHOULD GET A DEVILLE

eiseyrokker
01-11-2005, 05:27 PM
hey, more deathcab fans. I would check out a tele, or get something similar to a Les Paul. I would highly suggest an Ibanez GAX70 and installing coiltaps. It's been awhile since I've opened mine up, so coil-taps may not be possible, but i dont know.

superjoe
01-11-2005, 05:28 PM
go to the guitar store and pick a guitar YOU like, not one your favorite band likes. if you like a fender tone, look at guitars with single coils.

reccaoconnor
01-11-2005, 05:43 PM
from what you've described, go tele all the way. just make sure you get one equipped with a humbucker.

flyhalf
01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
maybe a les paul with the P90s, or a fender cyclone/jazzmaster or a telecaster

Krabsworth
01-11-2005, 05:51 PM
tele all the way

Linkinbassist
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
tele Deluxe is the way forward...like Franz ferdinands lead vocalist uses...

giventofly
01-11-2005, 06:01 PM
what kind of amp should i get? i still haven't decided that one.....before i was considering the orange AD like overturned had mentioned, but i forgot about the deville....are there any other suggestions for guitars and amps?

by the way thanks guys

eiseyrokker
01-11-2005, 06:04 PM
woah, how much money do you have? An Orange AD30 HTC would be the last amp you'll ever need.

TFKGuitarpunk
01-11-2005, 06:09 PM
omfg if you can afford an orange, GET IT. GET IT, GET IT, GET IT! thats my next big investment, forget marshall, im sick of marshall. i DEMAND Orange tone, I was turned onto it by Omar from At The Drive-In/The Mars Volta. mmmmmmmmmm.....

giventofly
01-11-2005, 06:10 PM
dude i work in a pharmacy, and i have no bills to pay for a loooong time, so i've got cash, plus around 5,000 in the bank account so...

eiseyrokker
01-11-2005, 06:12 PM
no, because it is the amp to end all amps. Orange's are tanks and quite possibly one of the most superb-sounding amps out there. You would never have regrets about your purchase.

gardenofsound
01-11-2005, 06:28 PM
You shouldn't give a rat's you know what about what your favorite bands play. Toss all of those notions out when you're considering what guitar to buy. Go to a store, test guitars out, and feel what's right for you. For all you know, a tele is the guitar you need. But for all you know, it isn't...

I'd definitely try a Telecaster if I were you, but understand that the guitar is not the only thing that shapes your sound; amps, effects, etc. play a huge role in this (bigger than the guitar, for the most part).

What is your budget? If you're in range, I would take a look at Carvin, Musicman (Albert Lee Signature), Schecter and even Rickenbacker or PRS (money is a big issue here though).

All of the brands I just mentioned have good single coil guitars that you may want to consider.

TheCrimsonKing
01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
an orange amp and a les paul gibson of course would probably make a great combo

gardenofsound
01-11-2005, 06:37 PM
^that would be more of a classic rock setup. I don't know, but I don't think that would be what our man is looking for, though I now do see some sense in it: most indie acts have classic rock style setups. They just don't set it up to sound like that.

giventofly
01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
what's the difference between the american deluxe and the plain deluxe for telecasters?