PDA

View Full Version : My left wrist curves out...

Det_Nosnip
11-03-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure when this started, whether it's natural or a result of bad conditioning, but I was focusing on correcting my technique the other day by turning my wrist down, trying to get the knuckles facing up like my right hand pretty much naturally does, and it resisted...big time.

When I try to keep my wrist down, I feel a good deal of tension up my forearm, particularly right in the middle, as well as in some places of my hand and heavily in my wrist.

I'm thinking of tieing/taping/something my wrist down in order to force my muscles into doing it correctly, and was wondering if anyone has tried that and could recommend me how to do it, and especially how NOT to do it, because I don't want to hurt myself.

TTTSNB
11-03-2004, 09:09 AM
If it's not working for you, I wouldnt bother. Its perfectly fine to tot play with a palm down grip, theirs many others, choose one that works for you. Ive found that my wrist actually naturally wants to play the american grip. I feel uncomfortable when I play palm down.

mrAonghus
11-03-2004, 11:17 AM
The down stroke on my left hand used to be a bit random. i.e. it would often hit a little to the right and then to the left.
I have since corrected this and have reasonably smooth technique at comfortable tempos, imo :). It took me 3 weeks to fix that though.
Maybe you just need to give it more time..? If you have a large mirror handy, place it infront of you while you play for further analysis of your strokes.

Det_Nosnip
11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
If it's not working for you, I wouldnt bother. Its perfectly fine to tot play with a palm down grip, theirs many others, choose one that works for you. Ive found that my wrist actually naturally wants to play the american grip. I feel uncomfortable when I play palm down.

The problem is that what I'm naturally doing is not only inefficient but potentially damaging. Something often feels "natural" because the muscles are used to performing in a certain way; that does NOT make it an optimal motion!

My physical abilities on the drumset have always lagged far behind my mental abilities, and this frustrates the hell out of me.

Also- oddly enough, for some things, I actually seem to be playing somewhat properly. For example, I practice swiss army triplets alot (I like the way they sound, plus they're a terrific exercise), and so when I play them, I notice that my palms stay down. In general, when I'm on the snare drum and concentrating, I can keep my wrist down...it's just when I try to let everything go and relax, and especially when I'm grooving on the hi-hats, I revert to old patterns.

Josiah
11-04-2004, 04:04 AM
I normally play with my wrists at an angle.. not fully facing down, not sideways.. somewhere in the middle. It's just how I have developed my technique. I also even flop my whole hand over to snag the floor toms, at wich point my wrist is actually facing up! I also notice I go to a more french grip thing while on the ride.. it's goign to change as you move around, the key is flexibility and being aware of any pain. If it's bad for you.. your body will tell you.

This is one of those things though where it's a stab in the dark. I'm sure in person if I could see it.. the answer would be instant and clear.

RichHunt
11-04-2004, 04:18 AM
I'm a very backward person. I twirl my sticks the other way to most people, I pick up on guitar more than down and I use german on my ride more than french. :lol:

RavEMasteR
11-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Hrm, I used to have that. I didn't seem to be able to get my knuckles to face the ceiling. Now, it's a natural thing for me.

And yeah, Josiah's right. I'm pretty sure Marco Minneman does not have his knuckles facing the sky. Yet, he's doing well.

Fimbulwinter
11-04-2004, 08:48 AM
I'm a very backward person. I twirl my sticks the other way to most people, I pick up on guitar more than down and I use german on my ride more than french. :lol:
That is rather... strange... do keep your ride high?

RichHunt
11-05-2004, 04:54 AM
Hrm, I used to have that. I didn't seem to be able to get my knuckles to face the ceiling. Now, it's a natural thing for me.

And yeah, Josiah's right. I'm pretty sure Marco Minneman does not have his knuckles facing the sky. Yet, he's doing well.

Your knuckles only face up in the German grip..

I play somewhat of an american - french :/. But I change my grips around constantly to get maximum playability out of my kit :).

That is rather... strange... do keep your ride high?

I used to, but now it's down low and flat as a babys bottom.. umm.. well.. flat as.. ok whatever.

RavEMasteR
11-05-2004, 06:46 AM
So I guess I'm using what you would call the German grip? How different is it from the American grip?

Josiah
11-05-2004, 12:07 PM
vicfirth.com

Check out Dom's videos on grips.

Fimbulwinter
11-05-2004, 02:18 PM
So I guess I'm using what you would call the German grip? How different is it from the American grip?
According to Dom Famularo american is anywhere in between the french and the german grip.

GooseFilms.net
11-05-2004, 02:24 PM

i also prefer german on the ride. actually im realizing i prefer german overall, except on tom work, which ill use french for

Det_Nosnip
11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
French on tom work? Isn't it a bit hard to move around?

GooseFilms.net
11-05-2004, 04:51 PM
why would it be hard to move around? movement between toms is mostly arm anyway rather than wrist. however, thinking aobut it, with tom work my right hand goes french and my left is closer to german

TTTSNB
11-05-2004, 06:58 PM
The problem is that what I'm naturally doing is not only inefficient but potentially damaging. Something often feels "natural" because the muscles are used to performing in a certain way; that does NOT make it an optimal motion!

My physical abilities on the drumset have always lagged far behind my mental abilities, and this frustrates the hell out of me.

Also- oddly enough, for some things, I actually seem to be playing somewhat properly. For example, I practice swiss army triplets alot (I like the way they sound, plus they're a terrific exercise), and so when I play them, I notice that my palms stay down. In general, when I'm on the snare drum and concentrating, I can keep my wrist down...it's just when I try to let everything go and relax, and especially when I'm grooving on the hi-hats, I revert to old patterns.
Ok, I see. However, certain people's hands sit in different ways. I for instance, have trouble holding my wrists perfectly parallel with the ground. I hold them on more of an angle, like the american grip. That's the grip I generally use on the drumset. So I would suggest holding your wrists with out sticks or anything, to see how your wrists naturally want to be. Then you can use that kind of grip for the majority of your playing.

Sthrudel
11-06-2004, 06:59 AM
Yes, I had the same problem. What I did was placing practice pad to my right and pretended it's hi-hat. I thought that was the way my right hand developed so I switched.

Det_Nosnip
11-06-2004, 10:07 AM
My teacher was telling me that a common thing people do is that they'll play French grip on the hi-hats/rides with their right hand, German on the snare...turning your right hand over might give you more room for your left. I might try this. The thing about the German grip is that you get alot more power, and the stroke tends to absorb the shock alot better, hence making it more ideal for hard rock playing.