PDA

View Full Version : Pulse's Starcast Mounting System

smashclub2004
11-02-2004, 08:55 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/bigpid/base_id/109359/

How can they afford to sell this kit for this low of a price with such a sweet mounting system!

CrazyDrummer4562
11-02-2004, 08:58 PM
It's a picture.....it can be edited...
It looks strong but do you know if it really is? How can you tell the quality through a picture?
They probably cut back in other areas also.

playwithfire
11-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Besides, it's pulse. Good shells with a poor mount will sound better than poor shells with a good mount.

Double Bass Jim
11-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Yea deffinetly

alvyn
11-02-2004, 09:36 PM
wow even tho its a pulse, i love the finishing and the mounting system!

infeef
11-02-2004, 09:37 PM
im not a fan of that mounting system, difficult to get the drums in the position i prefer.

sublimeisnice
11-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Yea i have the pulse set and i dont like the mounting system...lol i also didnt like the finish. i'm almost done refinishing it...i ll probably post up some new pictures of it by this time next week.

edit: i just clicked the link and realized you were looking at the lacquer finished version...i bought one with a wrap finish....i HATE wraps.

Half Life
11-02-2004, 11:14 PM
I seen this local band play a little while ago and the drummer had a pulse set with that mounting system. It looked pretty low grade, but you can't expect much from Pulse in the first place. It's just a cheap version of the real Tama starcast mounts put on there to make the set more "professional". If your going to buy a beginner set, don't throw in extra money for mounts like that, it probably won't make any difference at all in the quality of the set or improve the sound for that matter.

bent_q
11-03-2004, 03:21 AM
that is a rip off RIM type "mounting system" not the tama "starcast" mounting system, big difference

Josiah
11-03-2004, 03:54 AM
Yes.. exactly.. it's not a StarCast mounting system, wich sucks for many reasons.. it's a RIM look alike... or maybe is.

In the mean time, I have this advice for such a noob to start this thread. Throw out your computer. Spend all the time you would have on it thinking about what you want to do with your life. Then do it.

Evidence
11-03-2004, 08:43 AM
I think you're looking for the, tell people what to do with their lives, forum.

Evgeny
11-03-2004, 09:25 AM
it's not a StarCast mounting system, wich sucks for many reasons..

for instance?

Josiah
11-03-2004, 01:03 PM
It forces you to forever and always use die-cast hoops on your toms. It tends to cause drums to go out of tune, since the rim pulls on teh head during heavier playing. Because of the die-cast hoops the weight on the toms goes way up, almost negating the point of a suspension system. Die-cast hoops on the star-cast mount system also have a big tendancy to eat heads, esspeccially on stage under spot lights and other heat elements. You can't change the drum head and leave the drum mounted....

tris88
11-03-2004, 02:40 PM
So what is the best mounting system ??

Evgeny
11-03-2004, 02:45 PM
well, the latter is not a problem - it's very quick actually to put the drum off and install again with Tama mounts.
as for die-cast hoops - well, maybe, as for the point of suspension system, it is to let the shells vibrate more freely, not the heads, as I understand.
actually what I dislike with my kit, is that the ball that is supposed to make the life easier and let you position the tom in whichever position you want tends to loosen all the time... I have to screw it hard, and even harder, that is not very good I believe.

Josiah
11-03-2004, 03:01 PM
tris.. I'd have to go with the YESS system.

Evgeny you missed it.. yes teh poitn of suspension systems is to allow the shell to vibrate a bit more freely. However, when you add weight to the drum, this dampens the vibrations... this is one of the major reason die-cast is not popular at all on toms.

It might be quick to pull it on and off.. but it's unnessicary. Tama had an interseting idea, but it pales in comparison to the other mounting systems out.

Osiris X
11-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah, i was about to say Yamahas Y.E.S.S mounting system, my favorite.

playwithfire
11-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Yeah the Y.E.S.S. system is good, but I am also a really big fan of the DW S.T.M. style mounts, it only works for DW lugs, but it fits securely around the lugs, and doesn't put any pressure on the hoops, tension rods, or heads.

CombatWombat3
11-03-2004, 04:17 PM

I personally Like the Sonor's TAR mounting, I tried it out once and loved it, it was sturdy and was very easy.

CrazyDrummer4562
11-03-2004, 04:46 PM
I like my ISS....

Josiah
11-03-2004, 04:48 PM
"but I am also a really big fan of the DW S.T.M. style mounts, it only works for DW lugs, but it fits securely around the lugs, and doesn't put any pressure on the hoops, tension rods, or heads."

The YESS system does the same thing.. except it doesn't cover half the drum with a bunch of gleaming metal. Ever see a 8" or 10" DW tom? Where'd the finish go? Is that a metal drum?

YESS is rad cause it's so small, adjustable in and out as well. Something few suspension mounts have.

Music rockS
11-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Well, my Mpaex moutning ball ting gets my vote for worst. Mounting will be a huge decision in my next kit.

playwithfire
11-03-2004, 05:47 PM
"but I am also a really big fan of the DW S.T.M. style mounts, it only works for DW lugs, but it fits securely around the lugs, and doesn't put any pressure on the hoops, tension rods, or heads."

The YESS system does the same thing.. except it doesn't cover half the drum with a bunch of gleaming metal. Ever see a 8" or 10" DW tom? Where'd the finish go? Is that a metal drum?

YESS is rad cause it's so small, adjustable in and out as well. Something few suspension mounts have.
I know what YESS is, I've seen it, and played a kit with it, it's great, I just added in that I like DW's as well, and I'd have to agree, an 8" DW tom has as much lug as it does maple/birch. The 10" isn't that bad though.

I'd Hit it
11-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Does anyone have a closeup pic of the YESS mounts I could compare with ?yamaha dosn't have much detail about it on their site. I'm in the same kind of dilema, trying to decide on which kit/brand to go with and my main concern is tom mounts. Just watched Sonor's TAR explanation movie again and finally caught on how the two lugs and the T-bar are one piece. I used to think it would pull alot on the lug nuts but now I get it.Thanks

Josiah
11-03-2004, 06:18 PM
http://josiah.warpspire.com/MyDrums0002.jpg

You can see it nicely on that shot.

I'd Hit it
11-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks man , I see it alot better than on yamaha's site. But can you enlighten me on the concept? Does the rod off the tom holder fit right into the mount or does it go into the drum ? What holds the main piece to the tom? I'm guessing 2 or 4 screws? and do they use rubber bushings/gasket type things on the YESS?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to know them all to the fullest before I buy.
Thanks again

CombatWombat3
11-03-2004, 07:03 PM
http://josiah.warpspire.com/MyDrums0002.jpg

You can see it nicely on that shot.

It looks like that mounting system punctures the shell, is that common for older kits? I do like Yamaha's mounting system a lot, its incredible. But I'm still going to stick with Sonor.

Osiris X
11-03-2004, 07:20 PM
It doesnt go in the drum, it goes into the mount.

Seafroggys
11-03-2004, 07:30 PM
It looks like that mounting system punctures the shell, is that common for older kits? I do like Yamaha's mounting system a lot, its incredible. But I'm still going to stick with Sonor.

Sonor's is awesome.

Josiah
11-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I'd hit it..

The mount itself is attached to the drum via 2 decent size bolts through the shell. Yes, there are rubber gaskets etc between the bolts and shell. The attachment arm off the tom holder does not penitrate the shell at all.

This design has not been changed since Yamaha started using it. There have been some minor changes but nothing substantional.

I really enjoy my Beech Customs.. unfortuantely they don't make them anymore and the current line of Beech drums features significant changes in the shells design.

If your looking for a set consider Yamaha highly.. they are the best company I've ever worked with as far as customer support. I can say this for not only drums, but I have always run into nothing but genuine good people and support with my motorcycle's and guitars.

MerDeNoms
11-03-2004, 11:55 PM
I am pretty sure the YESS mounts do puncture the shell, but only the bracket does. 2 screws are placed at the drums nodal points, and the bracket is put on that. So technically, it isn't suspended, as say, a Starcast or STM is. Even though it punctures the shell, because of the fact that it is at the nodal points, it has no effect on the drums vibration, acting and sound like a true suspended mount.

Josiah
11-04-2004, 12:46 AM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read.
Go learn how to use a dictionary.

The YESS system is by the very deffintion of the word, a suspension system. It suspends an object, in this case a drum.

A starcast system uses holes in the die-cast hoops, DW's holds on to the lugs themselves, Pearls holds on to the lug bolts.

So the YESS system has no effect because it mounts directly to the shell? Brilliant.

You can try again though, if you looked at the physics of all the suspension systems. The YESS ranks near the top as far as isolation from the drum itself.

It's one of the few systems that actually allowed the drum to move on the mounts, every other system the mount's themselves are so rigidly attached to the shell that you see the entire system move.

So wich is isolating the drums vibrations more?

I like this though..
"So technically, it isn't suspended, as say, a Starcast or STM is. Even though it punctures the shell, because of the fact that it is at the nodal points, it has no effect on the drums vibration, acting and sound like a true suspended mount."

Man, just keep your mouth shut, you obviouslly don't know what your talking about and are only going to confuse matters for those willing to learn and seeking actual answers.

Enough of your jibba jabba!

Double Bass Jim
11-04-2004, 01:02 AM
:lol: Gotcha on that one.

dragonninja
11-04-2004, 03:29 AM
Really. Having all the lugs and mounting systems attached to a shell is bound to kill the cound a lot.

Check out these drums, Sleishman, free floating drums where nothing is drilled into the shell, allowing it to resonate more than most common drumset drums. I haven't actually tried them out yet, but I plan to next weekend, I'm very intrugued as to the design.

Have a look www.sleishman.com. They are an Australian company.

Josiah
11-04-2004, 03:33 AM
AH those are a good idea...

The best drumset system yet is by far Arbiters 1 lug tuning and mount system. No holes, amazing tunablity and well daym yea.. those who saw em know it was the future. Daym big boys bought their silence!

RichHunt
11-04-2004, 03:45 AM
If your looking for a set consider Yamaha highly.. they are the best company I've ever worked with as far as customer support. I can say this for not only drums, but I have always run into nothing but genuine good people and support with my motorcycle's and guitars.

I think Double Bass Jim would realise that I really like this thread :D.

I also have a new found respect for Josiah.

YAMAHA \m/ :thumb:

I'd Hit it
11-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Well tomorrow's friday so I'm gonna march on down to Steve's and go touch, look and shake (to test the differents mount systems:D) all the drums that I can.I'll spend an hour in their **** store if I have too, and I'll come back with ratings on all the mountings I was able to test/see ! and hopefully I'll really be able to decide which brand I'm goin with

MerDeNoms
11-07-2004, 11:07 AM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read.
Go learn how to use a dictionary.

The YESS system is by the very deffintion of the word, a suspension system. It suspends an object, in this case a drum.

A starcast system uses holes in the die-cast hoops, DW's holds on to the lugs themselves, Pearls holds on to the lug bolts.

So the YESS system has no effect because it mounts directly to the shell? Brilliant.

You can try again though, if you looked at the physics of all the suspension systems. The YESS ranks near the top as far as isolation from the drum itself.

It's one of the few systems that actually allowed the drum to move on the mounts, every other system the mount's themselves are so rigidly attached to the shell that you see the entire system move.

So wich is isolating the drums vibrations more?

I like this though..
"So technically, it isn't suspended, as say, a Starcast or STM is. Even though it punctures the shell, because of the fact that it is at the nodal points, it has no effect on the drums vibration, acting and sound like a true suspended mount."

Man, just keep your mouth shut, you obviouslly don't know what your talking about and are only going to confuse matters for those willing to learn and seeking actual answers.

Enough of your jibba jabba!

Hey Josiah... shut the **** up!

Maybe you might want to explain how they work instead of being the ****ing jackass that you normally are. That might make people respect you a little more. I have read in numerous places how they work, so that is what I know. If it truly is something different, then please enlighten me.

MerDeNoms
11-07-2004, 11:11 AM
And wait... I said exactly what you said they did. You might have mis-interperated my post. I meant that the bracket the is on the drum punctures the shell. when you said The mount itself is attached to the drum via 2 decent size bolts through the shell. Yes, there are rubber gaskets etc between the bolts and shell. The attachment arm off the tom holder does not penitrate the shell at all. , that is what I said, and meant. The bracket is attached to the drums at the nodal point, where the shell vibrates the least anyway.

playwithfire
11-07-2004, 11:12 AM
If you knew how it worked, why would you think or say that "technically" it isn't suspended?

MerDeNoms
11-07-2004, 11:17 AM
I said technically not suspended like an STM or starcast is. Those 2 dont even touch the shell, whereas a YESS mount does.

So technically, it isn't suspended, as say, a Starcast or STM is.

Josiah
11-07-2004, 02:38 PM
"Maybe you might want to explain how they work instead of being the ****ing jackass that you normally are. " Isn't it funny how hypocritical such comments are?

I did that already, try learning to read first poop for brains.

You are a moron.. there is nothing in the deffinition of 'Suspension' that requires the mounts to not be touching the shell directly. As if that matters anyway.. touch the wood shell, the rim ridigly attached to the shell or the lugs ridgidly attached to the shell.. it pretty much makes no difference. Wait til you get to college and study some physics. Then you'll see how foolishly you've fallen to the marketing gimics.

But since you want to get 'Technical'.

You show me where in the word 'suspension' it says that the mount holding the object can not be touching the object.

"A device from which a mechanical part is suspended. " American Heritage
"The hanging of a part from a support, such as a plaster-encased limb." AH Stedmens

So "technically" the YESS is a suspension system. It follows the very deffinition of the word to the letter, such as all the others do as well.

I'd like to add some words that I feel greatly sum up such a person as you.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thoughts in clear form."
-Albert Einstein

Evgeny
11-07-2004, 03:49 PM
there is nothing in the deffinition of 'Suspension' that requires the mounts to not be touching the shell directly.

well, I think this comes from the Tama catalogue - they say about starcast something like 'try to put away your tom-tom from the conventional mount, hold it by lug and strike, so you'll hear it resonate much more bla bla bla... that is the same as with starcast, as starcast was "designed to provide the same kind of unrestrained resonating environment as a hand held drum'.

what I don't understand, is that if die-cast hoops are that bad, as Josiah explained earlier, why Tama fit top level sets with them, while putting triple-flanged hoops on cheap Swingstar drums?

also, Josiah, there is actually a thing from Tama called Hoop Grips, this allows for mounting Star-cast system with both triple-flanged or die-cast hoops. so, Star Cast is not relying on die-cast hoops, as you have mentioned before.

parijatkumar
11-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Whats the mount system called when the metal bars actually go inside the drum? e.g. on cheap kits like mine

Josiah
11-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Evgeny.. I'm aware of that system, it's very much like Pearls clamp on system.

Why tama puts die-cast on their high end drums, I don't know.

They are the only company to do this. Other companies have made statements regaurding the Cons of using die-cast. For instance DW, they don't even offer them as an option. Yamaha decided to go with an alluminum die-cast hoop because of hte weight issues.

Tama makes good hardware.. their drums however, and their entire marketing schemes have always been angled towards VERY hardhitters and heavy players. They have never marketed towards the markets of players who play for tone and don't slam away.

Compare this to say a company like Yamaha who's roster of players does not include any heavy metal/rock hard hitter per say, but almost entirelly of jazz and fusion guys, mostly session guys who are known for their musicality and hired by many for that.

In other words.. why tama has done this? I don't know. But it does fly in the face of what all the other major companies have done. I heard John Good from DW say that putting die-cast hoops on toms was an insult to the work DW has put in to create the most reasonate drums they could.

playwithfire
11-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Good post Josiah, I was about to mention how you notice a lot of heavy metal, and hard hitting rock drummers on Tama's artist roster. Tama's the official drum sponsor of Ozzfest. Tama markets toward hard hitters over anything else. I don't understand why either.

Evgeny
11-08-2004, 02:19 AM
I'm aware of that system, it's very much like Pearls clamp on system.

so why do you say that Starcast forces you to use die-cast hoops?

as for drums and heavy-hitters.. well, maybe. although I don't actually understand the reason to hit hard even if you play in metal band. but that's another story, of course

Josiah
11-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Why does StarCast system force you to use die-cast hoops.... because it does.

The normal StarCast system that comes with Tama drums uses a custom made die-cast hoop with the extra holes for the StarCast suspension bracket.

Evgeny
11-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Rockstar and Rockstar Custom come with hoop grips and triple-flanged hoops on toms.

Josiah
11-08-2004, 02:46 AM
That is true.. but we have been talking speficically about the Starcast system that is on StarClassics

playwithfire
11-08-2004, 03:37 PM
as for drums and heavy-hitters.. well, maybe. although I don't actually understand the reason to hit hard even if you play in metal band. but that's another story, of courseIt isn't necessary. It doesn't mean there aren't a lot of heavy hitters, and metal drummers that hit like they want to kill something. Someone has to advertise and cater to the crazier drummers around :lol: I guess Tama decided to fill the position.

MerDeNoms
11-08-2004, 05:10 PM
But since you want to get 'Technical'.

You show me where in the word 'suspension' it says that the mount holding the object can not be touching the object.

I never said once that the YESS mount was not a suspension mount. I know it is.. and always have understood that. What I said, and this is my 3rd time saying it, it is not the same style suspension mount as a Starcast/RIMS, Optimount, or STM is. It is attached to the shell making it a slightly different stlye mount then those, which attach to either the lugs or the tension rods.

I hope this clears up what I meant, and I appoligize for being an ******* before about it.