PDA

View Full Version : Drum bags/cases...

nwdesignsmike
11-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Basically I'm going to start moving my drums around soon and I need some type of bags or cases. I have a set of beato drum bags from a long time ago, but they are tight fitting and my tom mounts barely fit into them (It's a Mapex M Series Fusion size set). I just wanted to know what everyone else suggests. Should I go for bags or for cases, what brands are good, which suck, etc. etc.

EDIT
Before anyone thinks I'm a dumbass, the beato bags are the correct sizes haha

Zakath
11-02-2004, 09:17 AM
I move my drumset 2-3 times a week and the only thing I have is a cymbal bag. Just be careful. :cool:

nwdesignsmike
11-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah i thought about that, i might just use nothing but a cymbal bag. But the thing is, there's probably going to be other people moving it because we are moving it to play shows and record and stuff. So i doubt they are going to be as careful as i am, im just worried haha

ilikenoise
11-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I've got Hardcase http://www.hardcase.com cases. Very good and cheap.

I've never used anything else though to compare it to other brands. Sorry.

an_original_name
11-02-2004, 10:07 AM
i just bought (or am in the process of buying) a set of protection racket cases ( www.protectionracket.co.uk ) and they serve me very well. they all fit inside each other when they're not in use so they dont take up too much space.

ilikenoise
11-02-2004, 10:15 AM
^ All cases fit inside eachother when not in use

xxixamxyouxx
11-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Im saving up to get a line of Enduro cases for my drums. I think they are made by Humes and Berg.

Now since ive had no experience with cases, I have a 10x8" tom. If I buy a case that id 10x8" will there already be some room there for a mounting system?

ilikenoise
11-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah. I think all 10" cases are 10" in depth - room for mounts etc.

an_original_name
11-02-2004, 10:43 AM
All cases fit inside eachother when not in use

no they dont. some hard cases dont fit inside each other.

aDecentDrummer
11-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I have heard good things about the Enduro cases, they are the same as hardcase but i'm pretty sure slightly cheaper and (imo) better made. I'm going to get one of the Enduro cymbal cases. I don't use cases for my drums unless they are expensive or if someone else is goin to be moving my kit about. But if you have the money, i'd say go for enduro.
I've also heard good things about the Protection Racket cases if you wanna take a look at them, they are even cheaper still but aren't hard unlike the other cases. They are though very strong and will give your drums good protection. I'd tak a look into them too.

Btw out of interest, what cymbal cases do you guys use?

Josiah
11-02-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm going to have to recomend SKB, they make some great cases. I've used them for both guitar,rack and drum cases without fail. The damage insurrence and return policies are awesome. Plus they are right here in my home city... great company.

parijatkumar
11-02-2004, 11:41 AM
If youre in the UK then Buy some Ritter bags of ebay (cheapest price) there pretty good and a steal for how much they cost

ilikenoise
11-02-2004, 01:05 PM
no they dont. some hard cases dont fit inside each other.

I'm sure most decent hard case companies cases do fit inside eachother.

nwdesignsmike
11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Does anyone have problems with hard cases scratching hardware or the actual drum finish? I've read reviews and stuff where people say that the metal pieces holding the hard cases together have damaged the drum. Or are they hard cases that are padded inside?

Chippy569
11-02-2004, 08:39 PM
i vote SKB too, tho they have limited sizes.

i plan on getting some protection racket cases for my stagestar (just so i can sell it) :)

playwithfire
11-02-2004, 09:27 PM
I recommend SKB. Great cases, awesome protection, specially formed so they can sit right side up, or on it's side, they all stack and strap together, they have padded liners in the case, and they protect your drums, cymbals, stands, and anything else you have like no other. They cost quite a bit, but are worth every penny.

sublimeisnice
11-02-2004, 10:01 PM
i dont travel that often with my drums i used to a while back. If i ever start again i will most def. get a cymbal case, since now i have high quality cymbals....and i MAY get drum cases because i care more about my finish than i did about the wraps....and I'd go with SKB but what i've seen and heard.

playwithfire
11-02-2004, 10:05 PM
SKB *does* have limited sizes though, I believe the full range of sizes (depth x diameter) is 8"x8", 9"x10", 10"x12", 12"x14", 14"x16", 16"x16", 16"x18", 16"x20", 16"x22", 18"x22", 4"x14", 5.5"x14", 6.5"x14". Then stand cases, 2 or 3 types of trap cases, and a cymbal vault.

sublimeisnice
11-02-2004, 10:10 PM
how do the cymbal vaults work...just a post in the middle, with pads to sit in between your cymbals...and howmany does one usually hold?

l3n
11-03-2004, 01:45 AM
1 question AON..did you get the Drum Cases..or the Nutcases? :p

Desert Eagle
11-03-2004, 01:56 AM
Can anyone recommend a good snare drum bag? Oh, and as to what case I use to transport my cymbals, I use the Zildjian Cymbal Safe. It can hold 8-10 cymbals and is a hard case. It's great. I bought a cheap duffle bag at an army surplus store to transport my cymbal stands.

Josiah
11-03-2004, 02:14 AM
I belive drum "bags" for the most part are a waste of time.. they may protect against minor scractches etc.. but for the most part do nothing. Might as well get a hardcase.

an_original_name
11-03-2004, 05:51 AM
1 question AON..did you get the Drum Cases..or the Nutcases?

i got the drum cases

I'm sure most decent hard case companies cases do fit inside eachother.

yes. but there are companies that arnt so decent.

RavEMasteR
11-03-2004, 07:06 AM
^Seriously, Josiah. I certainly can't afford hardcases for my drums. What do I have to transport them? A good ole SUV and an Istanbul Agop Cymbal Bag for my cymbals. Money is an issue for many people.

playwithfire
11-03-2004, 07:16 PM
That's why if you're serious about playing gigs and protecting your drums you need to be serious about saving some money to invest a smaller amount of money into what is more than likely a much larger investment. Even if you are really, really, REALLY careful you most likely will end up with scratched and worse happening to your drums, cymbals, and hardware, and you have to remember, you more than likely won't be the only one moving your kit at a show, especially if there are other bands playing.

how do the cymbal vaults work...just a post in the middle, with pads to sit in between your cymbals...and howmany does one usually hold?
There's two panels that fit together, a bar in the middle, and pads that go in between each of the cymbals on the bar. When it's closed the cymbals are completely surrounded and nothing can touch the edges.

RavEMasteR
11-03-2004, 09:32 PM
About people moving your kit at shows, can't you move it yourself? Sure, you can't be taking it apart and moving it away in two minutes. However, you can just drag the entire rug below your kit off the stage. Of course, when doing this, please remove your stands first. Most likely, your band members can help you with this.

playwithfire
11-03-2004, 10:02 PM
You'd think so, wouldn't you, but that's just not the way it usually works, or at least at shows around here. Changing sets is a big hustle and bustle.

RavEMasteR
11-04-2004, 02:41 AM
^Ah, you're speaking of music fests. I've never played for a music fest. Usually, I just leave my kit on stage, since the others are doing dances, etc.

Josiah
11-04-2004, 03:11 AM
No, he's talking about regular clubs where 4 or 5 bands play a night..

If I could.. I would reach through the screen and bash ravemaster..

You have an SUV and Istanbul cymbals, you're not seriouslly complaining about money for hardcases. Start complaining about money when you aren't taking fencing lessons, private drum lessons, buying expensive cymbals, bragging about knowing store owners and getting deals plus driving large gas guzzling overkill cars. Not to mention you obviouslly have a computer and an internet connection.

Yes, for some it's an issue. Let them speak. It's obviouslly not for you. So hush little boy!

RavEMasteR
11-04-2004, 06:11 AM
No, he's talking about regular clubs where 4 or 5 bands play a night..

If I could.. I would reach through the screen and bash ravemaster..

You have an SUV and Istanbul cymbals, you're not seriouslly complaining about money for hardcases. Start complaining about money when you aren't taking fencing lessons, private drum lessons, buying expensive cymbals, bragging about knowing store owners and getting deals plus driving large gas guzzling overkill cars. Not to mention you obviouslly have a computer and an internet connection.

Yes, for some it's an issue. Let them speak. It's obviouslly not for you. So hush little boy!

Yes, I obviously do have an Internet connection. In my country, the Internet is practically dirt cheap, since the government is pushing to connect the entire nation by Broadband by 2008(or something like that). Here, being able to afford Internet connections don't equate to being able to afford hardcases.

You agree it's an issue for some, yet I can't be the one to tell you so? Wierd. I am rather certain that many issues have no concern to me, but yet I can tell you what the issues are. You are recommending that people buy the pro stuff instead of wasting money on cheaper stuff. Yes, I do agree on that, because logically, the cheap stuff you bought will be a waste when you buy the pro stuff. Then again, it's not like everybody has the patience you do.

Then again, what are you trying to say anyway?

Josiah
11-04-2004, 02:27 PM
"Then again, what are you trying to say anyway?"

I think I made it clear in my last post. Shut up. You're a loser who spouts crap like the fount in times square. You're a monument to idiocy bigger then the statue of liberty.

ThisMustBeHeaven
11-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Shut up, asshole.

Josiah
11-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Make me :p

Loser.

ThisMustBeHeaven
11-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Forget it. I don't want to get banned cause of you.

Josiah
11-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Now you're being smart

Zakath
11-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Haha, Ravemaster shut the hell up.. with your utter stupidity it amazes me you still remember to breathe.

ThisMustBeHeaven
11-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Then again, what are you trying to say anyway?
The question is, what are you trying to say, Ravemaster? I sometimes have trouble understanding what the hell you are saying. I was trying to defend you, but what you say is pretty dumb sometimes.

P.S. I do like your avatar, however. :D

Zakath
11-04-2004, 05:55 PM
The question is, what are you trying to say, Ravemaster? I sometimes have trouble understanding what the hell you are saying. I was trying to defend you, but what you say is pretty dumb sometimes.

P.S. I do like your avatar, however. :D
Yea, he looks like a real tough guy.

Tough "Rough With Bubba's Ass in Prison" Guy

nwdesignsmike
11-04-2004, 07:58 PM
hahahahahaha i cant believe a cases post turned into this

Josiah
11-05-2004, 01:25 AM
It has a tendancy to happen when ever RaveMaster posts... in fact, not a tendancy, it does.

Whenever you take a decent conversation and add an idiot. You get a mess.

tigerstripes
11-05-2004, 01:50 AM
If I did more playing at gigs or what not I would invest in SKB (or other hardcases) cases as well but since I dont I use regular old drum bags. and I agree RaveMaster your logic on saving money and talking about all this stuff you have is kind of well not even kind of it is hypocritical.

RavEMasteR
11-05-2004, 06:40 AM
ThisMustBeHeaven, you must understand that I have ADHD, something that makes my attention span as short as a baby's dick. I am only able to read efficiently short paragraphs. Josiah's post was rather long, and I was confused halfway through it. Couldn't get through it anyway, so I thought I might as well ask for clarification.

BTW, ADHD is not a disadvantage. Thanks to it, my interests number in the tens.

RichHunt
11-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Does that mean I can call you an
idiot and you'll never know?

buried
11-05-2004, 07:22 AM
I don't have enough money to buy drum cases, although I do have a Zildjian cymbal bag that i got quite a while, it gets the job done.

RavEMasteR
11-05-2004, 07:24 AM
No, you can't. Because when you repeat sentences like that, my brain automatically detects the pattern and skips to the part that's different, ie, the part where you're calling me an idiot.

Besides, calling me an idiot without me knowing would be pointless. The only reason someone would want to call someone an idiot over a message board is to offend the target, which wouldn't happen if I didn't know about it.

Josiah
11-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Bahahaha

ADHD is a joke. The fact anyone would use it as an excuse furthers to prove this. It's a made up syndrome for corperate medical houses to make a ton of money off drugs.

If you can't read a not even lengthy post on this forum. How in the world do you spend the time to type up some very lengthy responses yourself? Hmmmm interesting.

I love it.. one of the greatest medical jokes of all time and this kid uses it as an excuse. I bet they even make you take ritalin.. a drug that was so overprescribed for non exsitent syndromes such as ADD and ADHD that massive class action lawsuits and legal action were taken by the governments FDA and parents.

Resulting in what? A joke. It's all a scam.

Try to put effort into not being stupid, it really makes a difference. Or did we already loose you cause your attention span is too short?

playwithfire
11-05-2004, 01:25 PM
...No doubt, I've seen Ravemaster rant some pretty long posts...I wonder why they didn't turn into 3 paragraph posts about 3 different topics if he can't handle long posts. In fact, his reply to Josiah, post number 31, was longer than Josiah's post...

Josiah
11-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Yes... it's all very curious isn't it george?

hostile
11-05-2004, 02:11 PM
This is the most hilarious thread I have read in awhile.

ThisMustBeHeaven
11-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah, well I have Teret's syndrome, and SOMETIMES I YELL REALLY FRIGGIN' LOUD and I don't even know it.

RavEMasteR
11-06-2004, 02:37 AM
Bahahaha
ADHD is a joke. The fact anyone would use it as an excuse furthers to prove this. It's a made up syndrome for corperate medical houses to make a ton of money off drugs.

I'm sorry, but unless you have ADHD yourself, you wouldn't know it. Just like you said, I ain't poor, so I can't say anything about the poor. So shut up about ADHD since you don't have it.

If you can't read a not even lengthy post on this forum. How in the world do you spend the time to type up some very lengthy responses yourself? Hmmmm interesting.

I am able to type longer posts because I split them up. I don't quote the entire bunch of nonsense in one quote box. I split them and read them two to three lines at a time.

I love it.. one of the greatest medical jokes of all time and this kid uses it as an excuse. I bet they even make you take ritalin.. a drug that was so overprescribed for non exsitent syndromes such as ADD and ADHD that massive class action lawsuits and legal action were taken by the governments FDA and parents.

Hm, I see. Then I wonder why my ADHD friends have not had their compensation paid up yet. No, I don't take any form of drugs, and neither have I gone through any form of teraphy. I leave it as it is, and I don't want it to go. How do you think I get my interests to number in the tens? From fencing, drumming and badminton to football, qi gong, and political debate.

Resulting in what? A joke. It's all a scam.

You don't have ADHD do you? You shouldn't say things like that, because people who really do have ADHD will be rather pissed at you.

Try to put effort into not being stupid, it really makes a difference. Or did we already loose you cause your attention span is too short?

It's bearable if I split your post up. That is why I press the "Reply" button before I even understand your post.

...No doubt, I've seen Ravemaster rant some pretty long posts...I wonder why they didn't turn into 3 paragraph posts about 3 different topics if he can't handle long posts. In fact, his reply to Josiah, post number 31, was longer than Josiah's post...

Again, paragraphing, and splitting things up, help. However, if the post is too short and contains many points in it, I will lose my concentration on the post.

Double Bass Jim
11-06-2004, 05:15 AM
Everyone has ADD when they want too, it's an easy out for the lazy.

RavEMasteR
11-06-2004, 09:04 AM
DBJ, you're right on that part. The only question is, how much can you help it? Some people can't help it at all. It really is up to you to push on with something and pay attention.

Brak
11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I think ADD is a joke. My brother was 'diagnosed' with ADD at the age of 5. It's out for the fact that he's a brat. Out of curiosity, I asked doctors to see if I had ADD. Guess what? I was diagnosed with it. So, here I am wth ADD and Asthma (another one doctors are quick to diagnose) and I can study the most boring material in the world and play racquetball for hours on end without collapsing.

While there are select few that show real symptoms of ADD, most of those diagnosed with it don't have it. That may be my personal opinion, but remember I've lived with someone diagnosed with ADD for 13 years. I've dealt with the counselors. I've dealt with the doctors. I've dealt with the medications. I've seen the reality of it, and in the end it's a way to make more money off of Americans. The medication is unneeded (even psychologists agree), and usually overdosed by doctors to where it acts as a tranquilizer for the kids. Well, no **** it's going to calm them down, it would calm down a horse.

The fact is the average human attention span is 15 seconds for material they know nothing about and 15 minutes for anything they are interested in. It's not ADD - it's human.

Josiah
11-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Yup...

We just need to ban this idiot. RaveMaster does nothing but spout foolishness and destroy decent conversations. We need to put him on a read only account or something. The guy contridicts himself more then.. well dang.. I just can't think of anyone that contridicts themself so much.

Zakath
11-06-2004, 02:26 PM
How do you think I get my interests to number in the tens? From fencing, drumming and badminton to football, qi gong, and political debate.
Are you kidding? Obviously I didn't realize you had to have ADHD to have "interests to number in the tens." Holy shit, I must have ADHD. Damnit, I kept telling my mom I had that when I can only concentrate on homework for 10 minutes but can play drums for hours. :rolleyes:

Josiah
11-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Yea, Zakath I guess we all have ADHD or ADD or maybe some other neat sounding excuse....

Interest levels in the 10's? Hmmm

Lets try something...

Drums, Surfing, Rock Climbing, SCII, RS, Guitar, Girlfriend, Math, Logic, Physics, Philosophy, Shooting, Running, Weight Lifting, BackPacking, Reading, Religon, Swimming, Music (listening), Graphic Design, My Car..

That's 20 very seperate things I have active interest in and do or study.. I can think of more....

So what does that mean.. I have SUPER ADHD!!!

Zakath
11-06-2004, 03:06 PM
You better check yourself into a hospital Josiah, such an extreme case of ADHD can't be healthy. I'm surprised you even managed to list all your interests without getting off on another topic.

RavEMasteR
11-07-2004, 04:48 AM
Yea, Zakath I guess we all have ADHD or ADD or maybe some other neat sounding excuse....

Interest levels in the 10's? Hmmm

Lets try something...

Drums, Surfing, Rock Climbing, SCII, RS, Guitar, Girlfriend, Math, Logic, Physics, Philosophy, Shooting, Running, Weight Lifting, BackPacking, Reading, Religon, Swimming, Music (listening), Graphic Design, My Car..

That's 20 very seperate things I have active interest in and do or study.. I can think of more....

So what does that mean.. I have SUPER ADHD!!!

I'm speaking of deep interest, not just something you do. I could list a thousand things I did, but if I have absolutely no passion for them, why the hell is it called an interest?

Yup...

We just need to ban this idiot. RaveMaster does nothing but spout foolishness and destroy decent conversations. We need to put him on a read only account or something. The guy contridicts himself more then.. well dang.. I just can't think of anyone that contridicts themself so much.

Maybe they can't ban me because I don't remember ever breaking the forum rules?

DBJ, if you don't mind, could you link me to the forum rules for a doublecheck?

Double Bass Jim
11-07-2004, 04:52 AM
Just chill out on the ADD action.