Album Rating: 4.5
1. Justine Go Genesis [5/5] most NIN tune, better than the NIN tune on the new Halsey (Easier Than Lying), take that Trent
2. Tennessee Tips [5/5] best intro among a lot of good intros, best riff on the album, in fact most seamless mix of rock/pop/electronic elements. Addictive tune.
3. Hummingbird Bomb [4.5/5] one of the more experimental moments, totally different vocal approach on last song hints at an album that didn't run dry of ideas/outstay its welcome.
4. An Acre Lost [4.5/5] best pop writing and melodies on this one I'd argue, good early 'deep cut', not too obvious a tune.
5. Sweet75 [4.5/5] the 'death grips is online' of Sleigh Bell openers, perfect start, chuggy
6. Rosary [4/5] grown on me, almost a 4.5, great OPN style intro again, acoustic guitars a cute addition, great vocal delivery.
7. I'm Not Down [4/5] the steady beat tune, album needed a trad 'thumper' like this
8. Red Flag Flies [4/5] another more 'Treats' style song, solid with the exact correct guitar tone yet again
9. Knowing [4/5] this would have been the third best CHVRCHES song on their latest album, Robert Smith would have approved of the guitars, maybe he could have guested here too who knows.
10. Locust Laced [3.5/5] frustrating, 10 out of 10 verse ("send me an. angel. of death" haha) but the chorus is, eh, clever but annoying - more a 5/10 enjoyable chorus for me despite the retro '50s (?) guitar bit.
11. True Seekers [3.5/5] the fact this was a single is intriguing to me, it is an effective pop song and I guess you still put your most pop foot forward first. This is the closest to workaday pop though, a whole album of this and a 3 out of 5 Doof rating would be forthcoming. As it is, for one song, fine, bit of variety, some 'Stranger Things'/'Drive' '80s fetishist core. Slight yawn - top marks for putting a great song after to close the album, this would have been a whimper of a finale.
Album Rating: 3.7
dms bb dms ;]
will add you to my chat with neek next time though, seems like a fruitful combo
and hmm, Robert Smith track, california and ig final girl and good girls are the ones i'd hold onto from that alb, but i don't superlove any of them whereas Knowing is slick dynamite