The Cranberries
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

by Mike Stagno EMERITUS
November 11th, 2006 | 34 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Even the biggest of bands have their humble beginnings. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd didn't just pop out of the ground world famous. Though not in the same stratosphere in terms of fame, alternative rock band, The Cranberries, were not different in this aspect. They were formed in 1989 as The Cranberry Saw Us by brothers, Noel and Mike Hogan, as well as drummer Fergal Lawler in Limerick, Ireland. Originally, their vocalist was man going by the name of Niall Quinn. Niall quit the band a year later, but not before recommending a friend of his girlfriend's, Dolores O'Riordan. Delores was quickly chosen to become The Cranberries' (they opted for a name change as well) new singer and the rest is history. The Cranberries soon got a record deal with Island Records and by 1992, were recording their debut album Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We.

The Cranberries have always been a fairly mellow, yet upbeat band. But Everybody Else focuses more on the mellow aspect of the band's music. Songs like the hit Linger or I Still Do showcase the relaxing, dreamy element very well. The album runs on a healthy dose of emotion, not only limited to Dolores' excellent vocal delivery, but is also shown through Noel Hogan's effective guitar lines. Noel doesn't focus on creating a bombastic bridge, chorus or guitar solo through his guitar playing, but instead uses it as a valuable addition to the songs rhythm section which backs up O'Riordan. Many of the tracks, from Dreams to Sunday to Linger to How, feature this simple, yet fun acoustic passages which do an very good job in contributing to the dreamy atmosphere of the record. Mike Hogan is another musician who stands out. His bass is quite audible and like the guitars, it maintains a simple, yet effective rhythm in which the calm songs stem from.

One thing I noticed about Everybody Else is that it feels very laidback. Aside from perhaps the song How, there aren't any tracks similar to the likes of Forever Yellow Skies, I Just Shot John Lennon, or Time is Ticking Out, where a frantic pace dominates the song. This element isn't a bad thing, but the lack of such an aspect is certainly notable as it creates a different atmosphere throughout the album. Perhaps calmer outings such as Not Sorry and I Still Do are more reflective of the band's surroundings at the time. The Cranberries were nowhere near as busy during the crafting of Everybody Else as they were during the likes of To the Faithfully Departed or even No Need to Argue, as they were still quite a small band. Whatever the reason, while perhaps not as catchy as future tracks, the songs on Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We feel more refined and perfected than post-No Need to Argue songs.

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We is an excellent album from alt rockers, The Cranberries, and a very superb debut. Through its calm, laidback, nostalgic moods, it creates a very likeable atmosphere. It has both brisk songs like How and Wanted, but also slower, mellower offerings like Linger and Sunday. An easy album to get into, it features effective, engaging performances from band members. Whether it be through Dolores' impressive vocals, Noel's fun, jangly guitar riffs, the fitting bass guitar antics of Mike, or even the decent drumming of Fergal Lawler, the band manages to create an enjoyable collection of songs in which fans of alt rock should definitely enjoy. Everybody Else is a fine album, and an essential Cranberries' release.

Recommended Tracks:

Funeral for a Friend ConduitPropagandhi Failed States
Tycho DiveMegadeth Th1rt3en
Fair to Midland Arrows and AnchorsArch Enemy Khaos Legions

November 11th 2006

Goddamn the Cranberries are so frikkin awesome. Linger is such a good song. I still can't find any of their albums that we have though

And good review of course.This Message Edited On 11.11.06

Electric City

Damn you and such.

You with your Cranberries reviews.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Mikesn

Cranberries bringe ftw. :p

Damn, thats too bad. Which albums are they?

Digging: Grimes - Visions

pinelake26

yay cranberries good band

Kyle
November 11th 2006

The Cranberries are a great singles band, but I think you've ove-estimated this album a little bit. It's good, but has some really dull moments.

Great review as usual though Mike.

morrissey
November 12th 2006

This is such a damn great album, probably my favourite Cranberries release. Linger, Still Can't, Dreams, Wanted etc it's all good.

I agree with your assessment and I'm loving all of your recent reviews.

br3ad_man
November 12th 2006

Dreams is such a great song. Good album and review.

November 12th 2006

Damn, thats too bad. Which albums are they?

I can't remember. We have this one, and I think two others but I can't remember which ones.

Mikesn
November 12th 2006

Thanks for the kind words, yo.

rasputin
November 21st 2008

This album just keeps on getting better.

Nikkolae
June 16th 2009

linger is suuuch a good song, i love this album to pieces

Digging: Cursed Graves - Western Blood

SephirothBlade
November 29th 2009

Dreams omg immense

linguist2011
October 16th 2011

As a debut this is an excellent one. One of the most relzxing albums i have had the pleasure of experencing, just reminded me of my love for this band

AsoTamaki
October 16th 2011

One of the best debut albums ever.

tarkus

I wouldn't go that far

AsoTamaki
October 16th 2011

Fine. One of the best rock debut albums of the 90s.

dylantheairplane
October 24th 2011

"Sunday" is incredible

linguist2011
July 2nd 2012

This album is perfect for finishing off a day with. It doesn't send you to sleep, but it gives you an uplifting feeling that makes you feel great by the end. It's very melodious and harmonic, yet it never seems to bore me, even after having listened to it for ten years.

someguest
October 30th 2012

20865 Comments

good shit here

dolores is a goddess

Digging: Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

ITsHxCTOASTER
December 10th 2012

I'd just like to say this album is fucking glorious