Converge
No Heroes

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
November 6th, 2006 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Converge's sixth album is typically fantastic, featuring all of their trademarks while still sounding new and fresh.

At this point in their career, it's pretty much a given that any record that Converge release is going to be something fairly special. In the 16 years that they've been a band, they've yet to release a record that is anything less than great and over that period, their consistency has become their most predictable quality. That said, anyone who is even slightly familar with Converge will tell you that their music is anything but predictable. No Heroes, the band's sixth album and second release on Epitaph is certainly no exception.

Converge
Kurt Ballou - Guitar
Jacob Bannon - Vocals
Nate Newton - Bass
Ben Koller - Drums

In stark contrast to the moderately ambient opening of their last record, You Fail Me, No Heroes begins with the doomy chords of "Heartache", which lasts for just a few seconds before the onslaught of ridiculously fast riffing and drumming begins. Jacob Bannon screams with the intensity that he is so well known for and does not let up until the album's fifth track, "Weight of the World". Unlike the soundscapes and slightly more ambient textures that were present on You Fail Me, the first four tracks of No Heroes are simply four short blasts (the longest of which is 1:43) that succeed in beating the listener's ear to a pulp.

Of course, that's not to say that No Heroes is all just short blasts of ass-kickery. In fact, quite the opposite is true. "Grim Heart/Black Rose" is the album's centrepiece and lasts for just over 9 minutes. The track features the guest vocals of Jonah Jenkins (of Only Living Witness) and his soaring high voice recalls doom metal band Candlemass, specifically their album Nightfall. Of course, it wouldn't quite be a Converge song without the presence of Jacob Bannon and his distinctive scream makes a welcome appearance towards the track's end. Musically, the track takes its time to build to enormous heights, the final minute of the song being and enormous climax of guitars, drums, feedback and Jacob Bannon's familar shriek. "Grim Heart/Black Rose" is followed by "Orphaned", one of the album's more melodic tracks and, a little later, "Trophy Scars", one of the band's best songs and arguably Bannon's best ever vocal performance.

Perhaps, above all else, the most amazing thing about Converge is how few negative things people have to say about them. Whether it's the unrestrained emotion that is always present in their music, the jaw dropping technicality of the band's three musicians or their overwhelmingly consistency, it seems that Converge really can do no wrong. Whether they're playing slow sludge-metal("Plagues"), fast noisy punk ("Hellbound"), chaotic metalcore ("Lonewolves") 10-minute epics ("Grim Heart/Black Rose") or melodic emo ("Orphaned"), Converge display an unparalled mastery of heavy music. For someone who hasn't been impressed by the rest of Converge's catalogue, No Heroes probably isn't going to do a lot to convince them. But for the rest of us, fans and newcomers alike, No Heroes is an amazing piece of work without a single second of mediocrity.

Pros
Emotional intensity
Technicality
Extremely varied

Cons
Nothing much

Recommended Songs

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional
  • vladislavK (4.5)
    The End is rarely happy. And the hero here is the only one - the death that puts an end to...

Cesc (4.5)

Grant Hunter (2)
    Aggressive and over the top, "No Heroes" is an emotion-packed trip, but it ultimately fail...

Nick Butler EMERITUS (1.5)
    I'll undoubtedly get flamed to hell for this, but if this isn't the worst album I've heard...

• Jared W. Dillon (4.5)
    If you don't like Converge, I hope you're OK with holding your wedding in New Hampshire...

November 6th 2006

I know I probably didn't really say anything that Jared didn't say already, but whatever.

Iluvatar
November 6th 2006

It's fine, this album needs more positive reviews just because its that awesome.

IsItLuck?

niceeeeee review.

It's a decision between "No Heroes and the Decemberists CD "The Crane Wife" for best CD of 2006 for me....(no significant releases for me after this point)

P.S. Vengeance is probably the sickest song on the CD.

Electric City
November 6th 2006

I can't believe Bread did another review! Zomg!

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Cravinov13
November 6th 2006

This album is intense. I love it.

November 6th 2006

I can't believe Bread did another review! Zomg!

I've finished high school now, so expect some more.

ToWhatEnd
November 7th 2006

Wow this is wonderful work. I really need to get this once I finish listening to You Fail Me. I'm fairly new to the band and Joe Doe's awesomeness is quite a bit to take in. So I figure I will have this soon enough. Once again fantastic review.

November 8th 2006

I still think You Fail Me is awesome.

Shikyo
November 14th 2006

I still don't think that this album is that amazing and I love Converge. To me it just sounds like what You Fail Me should have been, it even has parts taken from First Light and such. I'll admit that it's a step up from You Fail Me. Still not as good as their older stuff, like Jane Doe or Petitioning The Empty Sky.

Damrod
November 14th 2006

I just recently really got into Jane Doe, and it owns this album with ease. It's still a very good record, which owns a lot of other albums put out by more or less similar bands.

Great review, as always. :thumb:

kaospilot
February 16th 2008

reviews can never change anything.i still love this album.fullstop

qwe3
December 14th 2010

alright one of their best albums ive decided