My Chemical Romance
The Black Parade

good

by Richard Craig USER (120 Reviews)
October 24th, 2006 | 16 replies | 5,408 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Ever since 'Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge' came into public consciousness, My Chemical Romance have been riding what seems like a neverending wave of success. But when a band has success, there will be those who hate the band and claim they 'sold out'-and if their bottling at Reading Festival this year is anything to go by, MCR have quite a few haters. Album number three from the New Jersey quintet looks set to fuel the fire of hatred for some and to be loved by others. In other words 'The Black Parade' looks set to further the divide between love and hate for this band.

Opener The End. starts the album off slowly, with an acoustic guitar and Gerard's vocals "Now come on, come all to this tragic affair..." before switching to a huge sounding
bridge, but goes back to the acoustics soon, and then alternates between the two extremes throughout the song. This variation can be said for the album in general, as there are equal doses of slow and steady, old MCR-punk and now, the pomp of Queen.

Lead single Welcome To The Black Parade demonstrates this well, with it's slow intro leading into a repeat of epic proportions and finally giving way to their old ways of fast upbeat punk. Dead! is one of the strongest songs on the album, written much in the vein of You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison from their previous, aforementioned album. It is similar to House Of Wolves which has a better use of dynamics, and is faster throughout. While a lot of songs may sound musically, not too distant from their others albums, Gerard Way uses his voice 'theatrically' to add more effect to the lyrics and makes the album stand out on its own.

While the album in general is strong throughout, there are weaker moments such as Mama which interestingly has Liza Minelli adding guest vocals. However, these go almost unnoticed. The song sounds like MCR covering gypsy-punks Gogol Bordello: which doesn't work. Disenchanted could be described as a dreamy pop song; but it is an uneventful and long dream and contains nothing worth telling your shrink about.

There are 'less punk-rock' songs which stands out on the album however. A piano is used to beautiful effect on the sad ballad Cancer, and this is one of the clear highlights on the album. My Chemical Romance add new instruments to their music, with trumpets in Dead! and strings are used to close out the album on Famous Last Words. While taking chances with this, MCR pull it off well, by not making the new instruments having a huge part in the songs, but having a more background sound but still adding to the songs that they are used in.

In conclusion, 'The Black Parade' is a big step for what to many, is a very generic band. However, the highlights are largely where My Chemical Romance stick to what they know and throw in new elements, whether that be new instruments or new styles of music, in moderation. Famous Last Words closes with a recurrent theme throughout MCR's music and not just exclusively on this album- "I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

leer SPRINGBREAKNOPARENTSThe Lawrence Arms Metropole
You Blew It! Keep Doing What You’re DoingHammock Oblivion Hymns
Warpaint The FoolThe Gaslight Anthem Handwritten
3.3

tarman
October 24th 2006

i really dislike MCR... all i've heard is the single from this album and i hate it

Talos
October 24th 2006

I listened to this album before it came out and I cant describe how dissapointed I was, I personally believe this album is very poor and nowhere near as good as their old material Three Cheers and I Brought You...
Theres two good tracks in my opinion Dead! and Welcome To TBP.
My 2 cents.
Regards,
PlasmaThis Message Edited On 10.24.06

onefortheman25
October 24th 2006

I have to admit, they weren't that bad on SNL.

Lunarfall
October 24th 2006

So why did you do a review and a soundoff?

Otisbum

1912 Comments

@Hey: Because he can.

Decent review.

carney3110
October 24th 2006

Ugh... MCR. More generic, mainstream punk.

Cravinov13
October 24th 2006

Sometiung to put on my 'not to get' list.

REfan001
October 25th 2006

I thought the album was pretty good, has a few good songs on it, but not their best. But I think this album shows off their musical talent though. I hate all these faggots who say they suck just because they think they are too "hardcore" to listen to mainstream music.

EastBayKittie
October 27th 2006

I thought Mama was one of the best songs on here...

Black Parade>Three Cheers

Cancer was good musically but lyrically it was horrible.

The Jungler
October 27th 2006

Yeah, Cancer's lyrics suck. It's better live too, without the pianos and strings and stuff.

EastBayKittie
October 27th 2006

'all my hairs have abandoned my body' has to be the cheesiest lyric line ever seriously written.

craigy2
October 28th 2006

Quote:
"Ugh... MCR. More generic, mainstream punk."-Carney 3110
No not at all. This is a huge change from their earlier albums, and is a good one at that.

Spange
November 24th 2006

Yes, someone else agrees that Mama is a awesome song, thats the bad thing about this album, its songs hold too much variety, which is why some people dislike some songs and pull the album down for that.

hummer
November 24th 2006

I haven't heard anything else from the album, but I am alone in liking the intro and hating the rest of Welcome to the Black Parade?

Cesar
November 30th 2006

i don't found Welcome to the Black Parade to be the best song, try Mama or Dead... House of Wolves is good if u feel like dancing a litle

craigy2
February 26th 2007

[Q]So why did you do a review and a soundoff?[/Q]
-Advertising myself.