System of a Down
Hypnotize

by Acey USER (43 Reviews)
October 23rd, 2006 | 24 replies | 3,479 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All in all, not as original or catchy as Toxicity or STA!, but still very well thought out and catchy enough to listen to it and still get something out of it.

System of a Down. Probably the most original and creative band on the planet. Releasing hit singles and albums that many have come to love, SOAD released the dual CD effort Mezmerize/Hypnotize, and it explained most of their war views, as much as their albums do. SOAD has become mixed in the much hated genre of nu-metal, and the only thing that is technically nu-metal is Darron’s guitar playing. Darron has become one of his own, and SOAD is moving more towards the straightforward, in your face rock. When somebody like myself loves to listen to SOAD’s music, I just want to rock. I will tell you that they do just that. They can be as crazy as hell, but can still be listenable and have a point. Serj does some great singing on his music. I believe that he was an opera singer, as well, so that accounts for the amazing vocal work. The only thing that I am mad about on this album was how much singing they gave to Darron. He is an excellent guitar player, but he should just stick to that.

SOAD is, again known for their crazy, fast, yet listenable riffs. The first two songs are a great example of how SOAD can be very fast moving, and without changing the beat, be a more melodic rock band. These songs, Attack and Dreaming, start this album right where Mezmerize left off, having only been released a half a year later. Dreaming is one of my personal favorites on the album, and almost everything about it is perfect. The lyrics are about selfishness, and could also be talking about war.

The two singles from the album, Hypnotize and Lonely Day are somewhat of a low point on the album. Hypnotize is the better of the two, as the beginning guitar riff gets stuck in your head really easily. The lyrics are definitely about the media getting the normal groups of society to follow them by all means possible. Lonely Day is just not working out here. Kind of rebellious song, and not a good choice for a single, although it is getting them some mainstream success. Darron does an ok job singing on this song, but if Serj would have sung this, it probably would have been much better.

One thing I like about SOAD’s music, there aren’t that many ballads, but when there are, holy **** they are good. The two ballads on here are Holy Mountains and Soldier Side. Holy Mountains is about Armenian Genocide, a holy war, and how SOAD deals with it. It is something along that line. Definitely one of SOAD’s best in a LONG time. The guitar isn’t spectacular, but is very complex and technical. The drums and bass all do their part. The best part to me is the way Serj sings in this song. It is the best song on the album in my book. If you remembered the intro song from Mezmerize, this is the concluding song that everyone has been waiting for. It is kind of short, but a great closer for the album, especially coming right after Lonely Day, which was bad in almost every way possible. The message is very good, as it is about the war situation, and what they think. It is about a soldier having no hope when he goes to war, only because the war is pointless. The instrumentation gets their job done nicely, but I think that they sang it better on Mezmerzie, but still good, nonetheless.

There are always one or two songs on SOAD’s albums that make you go “What the ****?” On here, those two creative, and one being annoying, songs are Vicinity of Obscenity and She’s Like Heroin. I like VoO because it is pointless. Some say that it is related to sex. You could just sing along where ever you are, because it is damn catchy, and it has no real point to me. She’s Like Heroine, is exactly like lonely day. I don’t know if this was intended to be funny, but it didn’t work out all that well for me. There are better songs on the album.

After releasing their B-Sides CD (Steal This Album), SOAD hadn’t written for a while, when the Mezmerize/Hypnotize thing came out, I was wondering if it was going to be very good. It is more thought out, but still very original and fun to listen to. If you are looking for a band that has good meanings in their songs, SOAD is the place to find it, because they let people know exactly what they feel. Hypnotize is a very good effort, and is a great listen to, especially after you have heard Mezmerize.

Recommended Songs

Breaking Benjamin SaturateStone Sour Stone Sour
Tool LateralusBullet for My Valentine The Poison

Thor
October 23rd 2006

This was a well written review, but I think the overall rating is too high. It's not quite an excellent album, but close. I liked the direction that the band was going in when this came out, but it's too bad we won't be hearing from SOAD for some time. I'm sure they'll come back with a great album whenever they record a new one.

I do, however, have some with your highlights. Where's Tentative and Vicinity of Obscenity? Those songs straight up own. Hypnotize probably could be taken off too, but otherwise not bad. Keep up the good work.

Electric City
October 23rd 2006

I agree compltetely with the ballads part. VoO is amazing, and I give you a pos. Prepare to get negged by people giving BS about "Like OMFG there's like 40 reviews of this!!"

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

Acey
October 23rd 2006

yeah, i will EC, but i agree with VoO, and on the BS part, i did the same thing with Tool, but he had a good review, so oh well

Mister Mop
October 23rd 2006

o god not another hypnotize review.... personally i find this album a tad too mainstream for my liking. It gets boring and repeatitive. I do understand why people would like it though... its just not really my cup of teaThis Message Edited On 10.23.06

barosjn
October 23rd 2006

Good review. I disagree with your ballad statement though. I consider "Lonely Day" a ballad as well, but it remains in my mind as a guilty pleasure. It was a decent song to put on the album, but I only really enjoy it when it gets played on radio. There are just some songs and bands that are like that.

SCREAM!
October 23rd 2006

Well written although i disagree. I prefer Tentative to Attack or Dreaming(but they are all good songs)

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come

Angmar
October 23rd 2006

this is a good solid 4 much much better than mezmerize because it has some classics like Holy mountains and Hypnotize and i also like Attack, Soldier side and so on.

/votes

carney3110
October 23rd 2006

This is an alright album, somewhere between a 2.5 and a 3. But man, SOAD live is a real let down. They put on a good show, and three of the four members really kick ass, but when Daron starts singing (which is often, since they play a lot of new stuff)... let's just say that the vocals on the albums start to sound good. Good review.This Message Edited On 10.23.06

AmericnZero02
October 23rd 2006

I think 4.5 is too high. She's Like Heroin and Vicinity of Obscenity bring it down too much. Probably even Lonely Day a little. Dreaming, Holy Mountains and Soldier side are really good though, so this could be a 4 at the highest.

Mikesn

Great review.

I can't say I'm a fan of this album though.

Kyle
October 23rd 2006

[quote=Mister Mop]personally i find this album a tad too mainstream for my liking[/quote]This might be the most annoying thing that somebody can say about music.

Oddsen
October 23rd 2006

Hypnotize is an amazing song, but some of these songs on this album are really crappy. Mezmerize me thinks is better.

fisky009
October 23rd 2006

Well if somethings mainstream then it might not be what he origonally like about the band, or the fact their accomodating for the mainstream.

Personally I like this album, it has some excellent catchy metal songs.

Nice review. Pos'd

carney3110
October 23rd 2006

Alright, I can't seem to figure out how to quote stuff, but I'd like to quote Kyle's post and agree 100%, except for that "they sold out" might be more annoying.

Mikesn

(quote) stuff (/quote)

Only instead of ( you put a [

stuff

TheMisterBungle
October 23rd 2006

I really don't like this CD at all.
Good review though.
:thumb:

rustysurf84
October 23rd 2006

I disagree with your rating, and some of your views. There message got a bit old for me, but at least they manage to keep it fresh. The riff on "Dreaming" is great, and "Soldier Side" are great tracks both, but thats all that I still listen to consistantly.

hardspot
October 26th 2006

why the f*ck is this on the frontpage of thrash?
I've been trying to ignore it for like 2 weeks

thrash_fanatic
October 26th 2006

Not a bad album , but it's definitely not memorable and after a few listens it just becomes dull. Much prefer Toxicity

Acey