Hot Hot Heat
Make Up the Breakdown

good

by Kyle Ellison USER (9 Reviews)
October 20th, 2006 | 7 replies | 1,490 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Despite containing one of the most fantastic singles in recent years, the album is fairly dull as a full piece of work. Whilst not a disaster, the good tracks are not frequent enough for the album to realise it's potential.

In 2002, Hot Hot Heat emerged from the ever expanding Canadian Indie scene, taking advantage of a sound which seemed to be exploding across the UK and America. This particular period was one which saw the popularisation of indie-rock, and saw albums from The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Vines and Yeah Yeah Yeahs receive a fantastic reception. The new millennium seemed to have signalled the death of the 90’s pop era, and being in a band or playing guitar was very much the zeitgeist. So, given the time of it’s release, Hot Hot Heat’s Make Up The Breakdown couldn’t have been given a better chance, arriving in the explosion of the modern indie scene, but before it had reached saturation.

To focus more on the bands sound, standout features include the at-times-fantastic-yet-at-times-whiney voice of Steve Bays, some great choppy guitar parts, and rather peculiar yet striking keyboard sections. It’s not a particularly innovative sound, yet at the same time I’m struggling to think of a band which they are directly derivative of. What sets them apart more than anything else, is the pure danceability and catchiness captured by some of the tracks.

And yes, at some points during this album, Hot Hot Heat do deliver on the expectations they had built from leading single Bandages. Unfortunately though, as great as these moments might be, the album lack consistency. In short, this is what is so frustrating about Hot Hot Heat. Whilst the singles have always promised so much, for every great song there are 2 more average, or even annoying tracks which follow. Take the opening track (Naked In The City Again) as an example. Whilst it certainly shows potential, it comes off as an unfinished, or at most B-side material, after never really reaching the climax suggested from the beginning. And this can be said of a number of other tracks, that although might contain an interesting melody or two, lack the cutting edge to make them sound complete.

Despite how frustrating it can be following Hot Hot Heat, I find it very difficult to completely write-off a band capable of writing Bandages. Whilst the appeal of this track has not always been recognised by everyone, for me, this is one of the best pop singles of the decade. Listening to this one track seems to make the rest of the album make sense. It’s like they wrote this song, and then spent months of jamming to try and re-create it’s brilliance, but only really came close on a few occasions. And so, this whole album can basically be summed up in relation to Bandages; One song which was absolutely nailed, a few more great pop songs, and the rest is forgettable, or just plain annoying.

Overall Rating - 3/5

Former Ghosts FleursLos Campesinos! Sticking fingers Into Sockets
The Thermals The Body, The Blood, The MachineTokyo Police Club A Lesson in Crime
Elvis Costello My Aim Is TrueDestroyer Destroyer's Rubies
Dan Stalcup (4.5)
The strangest thing I've ever loved...

Tapeworm (4)

Kyle
October 20th 2006

This is the shortest review I have ever written, as I was trying out a more concise reviewing stlye. Some feedback on that would be nice. Does the reivew need more depth? Or do I get accross the general mood of the album?

tom79
October 20th 2006

Good review, short and to the point. For the most part it says what needs to be said. This band kinda annoys me though, the singer mainly, and I can only take so much of the band at once. From this album and their newer one. They have some really catchy songs however.

Bandages wasn't that good thoughThis Message Edited On 10.20.06

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Zebra
October 20th 2006

The length was fine and so was the review. You described the general mood of the album in the second paragraph and got the job done. Good review.
If Bays toned his voice done a notch or two then this band would be excellent. About half of these songs are insanely catchy and the other half are nearly unlistenable.
I'm a big fan of "Bandages." It's my favorite Hot Hot Heat song.

SotR
October 21st 2006

I think this album is fantastic, except for maybe Cairo, so 4 from me. And also, you should mention more than 2 songs on an album when reviewing it. Just for future reference.

Kyle
October 21st 2006

Ok, maybe if I ever write a shot review again, I will include a few more song references. But the whole point of writing this was to try and convey the albums mood, using only minimum material.

Thanks for the comments guys.This Message Edited On 10.21.06

Neoteric
October 21st 2006

Good review, you went straight to the point and I love reviews like that.

As for the band, they're catchy and Bandages owns.

Again, nice job :thumb:

The Jungler
October 21st 2006

Good review. I saw these guys live (opening for Weezer) and they were allright. They have a few songs I really enjoy, one being bandages, but even that I have a hard time taking seriously (see Iai's comment in the last review).