My Bloody Valentine
Glider

by Neoteric USER (86 Reviews)
October 17th, 2006 | 19 replies | 8,299 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Glider is an EP released in between Isn’t Anything and the favorite, Loveless. This compact disc (or back then, 12”) found the band exploring the different harmonics mixed in with their dissonant and distorted sound which would then help bring Loveless to it’s full entirety. For those who don’t know about the band, they’re extraordinary indeed, in fact, the band’s sound is very much like a painting, with swirls of lush strokes and rich textures (this description may be generic to fans of the band but it’s the description that fits them best). The EP isn’t that special but for history and rarities sake, it’s worth buying. It is also to note that this is the first time the song Soon has popped up (which would later on become a highlight on Loveless).

Moving onto the music however, the first (and probably most recognizable) track is a nice piece of dream pop godliness. Soaked in a rich dissonant, distorted and creamy guitar sound and a beautiful, catchy melody line based to draw you in and never let you go. It seems weird that this song is seven minutes but it goes in quite fast for me, continually looped it is, but it never gets boring. Never. Glider is probably a kind of step down from the first track as it seems like a soundscape. A constant effected feedback noise constantly drills into your brain, no drums but damn, what a nice bass line.

The second half of this twenty minute EP is a bit more accessible. Don’t Ask Why has a nice acoustic tone to it and again, it seems like it goes in really fast. But that’s maybe not a bad thing, as on the surface, the songs are usually repetitive instrument-wise but the band do have the ability to make something to repetitive so a joy to listen to. Probably by, layering it right and getting the right technique. The song has a nice looped acoustic bit and the only bit of percussion I could pick out was a steady tap of a tambourine. The vocals are mesmerizing, of course, that applies to nearly every My Bloody Valentine song. The vocals are low in the mix (apparently because the vocals are supposed to be shown as an instrument). Off Your Face is easy to listen to, a great piece of dream-like pop, the vocals are beautiful (how many times can you say that in a MBV review?)

This is a great addition to a MBV collection and maybe good for a newbie. If you find this in a store, buy it. Good luck getting this, and if you do, I take my hat off.

Pink Reason Cleaning the MirrorThinking Fellers Local 282 Lovelyville
Primal Scream Beautiful FutureCan Future Days
King Crimson DisciplineWilliam Basinski Melancholia

Mehh. =(

Zmev

MBV EPs ftw

edit: oh yeah, and tip your hat because I physically have a copy of this.This Message Edited On 10.17.06

The Jungler
October 17th 2006

Not a bad review, not really as good as the last one though. I've never gotten anything by MBV other than Loveless, I should probably get on that.
When did you start reviewing so much A&I?

October 17th 2006

I dunno, my tastes just matured really.

AlienEater

MBV are great.

^ This.

RottedFlesh
October 18th 2006

I never saw the big deal with MBV actually...

October 19th 2006

^Not this.

MasterSan
January 5th 2008

Ideally, you should say that the vocals are awesome in a MBV review once, and put it in big bold letters.

July 26th 2013

off your face is so amazing ugh!

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

demigod!

havent heard:o

Digging: Failure - Magnified

odiferwhte4hoeggfhjui

August 16th 2013

off ur faces chorus legit makes me fuckin cry omfg i am gay

from the look

clercqie

from the look
in ur face

i belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve

I must say, I'm really enjoying the presence of enthousiastic KILL around these parts, these days.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

December 14th 2013

dude ive always been enthusiastic it was just mostly on thrash and death metal threads so you prob didnt see

March 15th 2014

am i the only person who thinks off your face is like the best mbv song ever

bach