Ladytron
Witching Hour

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
October 15th, 2006 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Witching Hour" is plainly the best pop album of the past ten years. Melding dark pop and electronica together perfectly with Helena Marnie's stunning and hypnotic vocals, this album is a must-have by any fan of music.

Witching Hour is stunning.

That's the only way I can initially describe the third effort from electronica/pop/indie artist Ladytron. Known for fun singles and lackluster albums prior to this, Witching Hour is the fruition of all of the talent they posses; a beautiful, emotional, focused, and haunting pop record which has easily eclipsed anything their contemporaries have produced.

Ladytron aren't so much an electronica act as they are a pop act who happens to use synths and samples to great effect. Previously, Ladytron had relied on strong beats to keep their songs afloat, and over the course of an album they would begin to fumble under the weight of themselves. Here, Ladytron instead focuses on vivid soundscapes, often with a keyboard-driven rhythm that accentuates the ever-changing palette of sound.

At times, Ladytron sound like an electronic rock band. "Weekend" is a driving and aggressive tune that uses a drum sample so seamless, it sounds live. "Sugar," the second single from the album, features a fuzzy guitar assault with siren-esque synths on top of more excellently placed drum beats, which give the songs a feeling closer to a good Sleater-Kinney song than something by Peaches.

High energy rock songs may work very well for Ladytron, but its the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality for this album. It's when they go into the dark recesses of pop that they are at their enjoyable peak. "Destroy Everything You Touch" is the best song Ladytron have yet created; it's beautiful, dark yet vibrant, and filled with memorable synth lines that leave you wanting more. "Beauty*2" is similar in a completely different vein; haunting and dazzling, it depends on a light piano melody and a strong vocal performance. Like most of what Ladytron does, it's difficult to describe in words, but it goes from an anguished lament to a jaded mourning over a failed relationship. Its striking and incredibly memorable, beyond the traditional pop sense.

Then again, there are still the power-pop songs ready to be mass sold to the populace. However, here they take on the dark tone of the album, melding previous Miss Kittin-esque material into something closer to a song from Shock Treatment. "International Dateline" contains a strange morphed guitar riff and bass synth that interplay throughout the song, giving the catchy vocals and underlying tone of gloom not found elsewhere in pop music. Then there’s the chant-y greatness of "Last One Standing," and the closest thing to a europop-hook Ladytron has on this album. While the chimes and fuzz in the song are quite a neat combination, it's the repeated line of "You have got to be the last one standing" from main vocalist Helena Marnie that gives the song its appeal.

While the musical landscapes Ladytron create throughout the album may be stunning and worthwhile within themselves, it's Marnie that gives Ladytron the push into greatness. Far from the somewhat dippy and frankly dumb singers of most other electroclash artists Ladytron gets compared to, Marnie is a stunningly unique and hypnotizing vocalist. Somewhat comparable to Kelli Dayton of Sneaker Pimps fame (but not really), Marnie is at once entrancing, emotional and honest.

On the album, she ranges from dreampop-esque vocals on "Beauty*2" to the satirical stylings of "AMTV." As with most of Ladytron, its difficult to describe what she truly does, it has to be heard to be understood. She guides the music, giving it the final punch, and completes the circle of gloomy-yet-irresistible facets of Witching Hour. As the album progresses, she slowly becomes more dreamy and less-real, but at the same time retains the same emotional impact as she does on "Destroy Everything You Touch", where she gives the vocal performance of a career.

The lyrical matter has also devolved from prepubescent flailings at love and metaphorical forays into insulting the culture of electroclash to a more overarching concept. The album is mainly to do about lost things (use your imagination), and the emotional pain in everyday life. Previously, Marnie would use intricate metaphors to attempt to get her point across, which would often end up being trips in self indulgence rather than anything worthwhile. She now instead opts for simplicity, relying on more direct imagery and story telling lyrics to direct her message that while obviously geared towards the female audience, is relatable to all walks of life.

Witching Hour is a huge step forward for the band. They have effectively let go of all their previous ties to any specific genre, and instead expanded into something all of their own. They are a universally enjoyable band at this poinr; people who hate pop but love electronica will find more than enough to enjoy about Ladytron, and vice versa. Their unique meld of a multitude of genres makes them the forbearers of the term "electroclash," and if only some of the other second-rate acts associated with that scene would follow in Ladytron's footsteps, maybe we'd get more decent house music instead of tripe like Freezepop or Console. From the synth-pop of "High Rise" and "Destroy Everything You Touch" to the shoegaze of "White Light Generation" and "All the Way," Witching Hour is an enthralling and flawless masterpiece of contemporary pop; gloomy enough for those looking for a deep and broody electronica album, but light hearted and catchy enough for those hoping for a danecable techno album.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor

October 15th 2006

This album is brutally awesome. This review was entirely too difficult to do because I suck at reviewing electronic-based thing. I suck at reviewing in general to, but thats besides the point.

pulseczar
October 15th 2006

I'm checking this band out. Not because of the review, it sucked, but because of your profile song.

The Jungler
October 15th 2006

I don't like this band quite as much as you (or my brother) but Destroy Everything You Touch is pretty classic. Great review.

kyleisgreat

This is a good album. Better than Light and Magic

Intransit
October 15th 2006

this review sounds like it was written by someone who works at the Gap

October 15th 2006

I wish I had a job at the Gap.
Thanks for the votes I guess. People should listen to this because its better than whatever they are listening to at the moment anyways.

October 15th 2006

Um so how about Ladyron guys? They have a ton of songs available for streaming on their site.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Damn you Iluvatar, you're introducing me into apparantly another good pop band. I'm starting to like pop :-/

Zebra
October 15th 2006

Neato. I've always liked Ladytron but haven'y checked out any of their albums. I might have downloaded this once a while back but can't really remember any of it.

October 15th 2006

This is the only album really worth it. 604 and Light & Magic both had great singles but kind of fizzed out after the whole thing was through.

Zmev
October 15th 2006

Destroy Everything You Touch has a neat chorus.

pulseczar
October 15th 2006

This really is a sexl kewl album after all.

The Jungler
October 16th 2006

Why haven't we made love yet?

I need to listen to this again, but back when you asked me to review it I was going to give it a four.

October 16th 2006

Pulseczar you know you wanna bump that rating up to a 4.5 You can feel it in your bones. Ooo lala.
Yeah, Dan, fi you would be so inclined, review 604 or Light & Magic plzplz. I have it in me for one more Ladytron review, but not another two.

Kaleid
December 23rd 2006

Great album, but I reckon 'Light And Magic' is just a little better. Its' got that darker edge, even though its not as well produced as this.

Mikevil
March 13th 2007

I saw them when they supported Nine Inch Nails last week. They were a bit boring but they have two amazing songs. Kind of

MeowMeow
March 17th 2007

Amazing review. I pretty much agree 100% with you. "Destroy Everything You Touch" is fantastic.

August 10th 2007

Man this album just takes me on a ride every time I listen to it. Absolutely an underappreciated gem.

thatguy84
January 3rd 2008

SUPERBUMP

A friend of mine sent this to me the other day. It's surprisingly awesome. More people should know about it.

Geedrummer
February 2nd 2008

just recently got into these.

they are fukin ace.