The Blood Brothers
March On Electric Children

by hykinix USER (9 Reviews)
October 13th, 2006 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A symphony of deterring sounds and shrieking noise that binds together to form a memorable and even peaceful adventure.

The Blood Brothers consist of members Jordan Blilie (vocals), Johnny Whitney (vocals), Mark Gajadhar (drums), Cody Votalato (guitar) and Morgan Henderson (Bass). The band hails from Seattle, where they released their debut album "This Adultery is Ripe."

With their follow up of 2002 entitled "March on Electric Children" an unwary listener tosses the CD in and is hit instantly by a piercing scream straight from the mouth of underdog Jordan Blilie.

Just to ensure that the band has no intentions of letting loose their vice-like grip on the listener, Johnny Whitney picks up a second set of vocals in a (successful, mind you) attempt to round of the edges while adhering closely to the wailing guitars, frantic drums, and bass that bounces along to a "there's no eclectic music going on, don't worry so much" attitude.

Just as soon as the first verse from track 1 entitled "Birth Skin/Death Leather" lets loose a complicated and eccentric collage of chords from Cody Votalato, the hard-edged insanity bubbles down to a simmering and steadily-climbing, bracing moment while Johnny unveils his brand new vocal range to the world. This album - unlike the debut - shows off the (now fully developed on such albums like Crimes and Young Machetes) limits of which this quintet is willing to go in order to avoid being thrown into a typical punk-hardcore record genre.

The rifts are unconventional, and track 2 entitled "Meet me at the Waterfront After the Social" shows that not only is this band complex and developed on stage, but they have a strange melody about themselves that may not rear its beauteous head until a second round through the album.

Track three is where the conceptual process screams itself to the world. The album is centered around a fictional character and a series of others such as "Mr. Electric Ocean" and the "Skin Army Girls" both of which represent commercialism, materialism, and other such issues that plague today's youth.

Track 4 "New York Slave" is where Jordan gets his chance to not only scream, but do some refined singing that wasn't apparent on the debut. Just when it can't get any better, it does, and "Kiss of Octopus" and "Siamese Gun" allow melody and hideously captivating breakdowns to exist harmoniously within each track.

The album continues until the final track, "American Vultures" does a complete double-take on convention while a piano and some nauseating yet intriguing vocals dance around until the listener - albeit reluctant at first listen - realizes the methods behind the madness.

Throughout, the Blood Brothers show that they not only have intelligence strewn throughout all aspects of their work, but that they are fully aware of what makes hardcore listeners tick. The album is a staple in a scene that has begun to perish behind a curtain of industrialized divas and pop-bands.

I give this album five stars for the sole reason that there is no notable flaw within it. Although, in today's era, the Blood Brothers have grown beyond simplistic thrashing, this album is a reflection of what they once were, and what they are capable of on the opposite side of the spectrum. A definate must for a genuine fan, and a definate must for a new listener.

Cheval De Frise Cheval De FriseInto the Moat The Campaign
Exotic Animal Petting Zoo I Have Made My Bed in DarknessPsyopus Our Puzzling Encounters Considered
The Bled Found in the FloodThe Blood Brothers Young Machetes
Supercoolguy64 (3.5)
In which The Blood Brothers strangness strengthen them...

widowslaugh123 (4.5)
the blood Brothers second album takes you on a crazy screaming adventure that will leave you begging...

October 14th 2006

The comment previously in this space is no longer applicible.This Message Edited On 10.14.06

Zebra
October 14th 2006

You can edit your reviews on your own. Just click on your user profile at the top of the screen and on the upper left hand corner there is small option that says "edit my reviews."
This was very good for a first review, short and concise.

October 14th 2006

Alright, thanks for that. I only just started using this website.

The Jungler
October 14th 2006

I don't know anything about this band, but they seem intresting enough, though I'm not a huge Post-hardcore fan.
Good review.

AlienEater
October 14th 2006

This album's pretty cool.

CheckersOnMyShoesYo
November 8th 2006

best blood brothers album hands down. siamese gun has to be my favorite song.

TheMisterBungle
December 2nd 2006

The intro to American Vultures is crazy.

Rationalist
December 6th 2009

MOEC>BPI,B=TAIR>YM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crimes

PirateSquid
December 8th 2009

This album was better than their debut, definitely.
Love the concept story, trippy stuff.

For me, Young Machetes is their weakest work.
BPIB>MOEC>TAIR>Crimes>>>>>>>>>YM

December 18th 2009

Exact same order for me, kudos

December 18th 2009

Actually, crimes MAY tie with TAIR (not for any lack of intensity on TAIR's part but I think for whatever reason Crimes has gotten more playtime)

PirateSquid
December 18th 2009

Dude, you have the same exact thoughts as me.
Craaaaazzzyyy.

It was hard for me to compare Crimes and Adultery, so I just picked the one Iluvitar liked, because I don't like thinking for myself too much.

Though we are both in agreement that Young Machetes was quite sub par.